Columbus bidding on state finals

Question: doesn't the City of Columbus now own the old Crew Stadium? I believe it was handed over to the city. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Yes they do and Football is not apart off the future plans just to retrofit Crew Stadium for Football is 100K they no longer have the Goal post nor the Pockets for them they were removed during the last field renovations.
Good luck getting that from the City of Columbus.

I'll say this on behalf of Byers: Parma isn't a warzone quite like inner city Columbus. I love Columbus but that neighborhood near the state fairgrounds is awful especially east of 71.

If you get a hotel on Dublin Granville Road or Morse Road or near the old Crew Stadium, God help you.

Works for the American Quarter Horse Congress for three whole weeks every September. But most of those boys are open carrying a sidearm on their belt.

Last edited:
I'll say this on behalf of Byers: Parma isn't a warzone quite like inner city Columbus. I love Columbus but that neighborhood near the state fairgrounds is awful especially east of 71.

If you get a hotel on Dublin Granville Road or Morse Road or near the old Crew Stadium, God help you.
First off, you do not stay at the hotels or motels on Dublin Granville or Morse Road. Polaris is just 10 min away due north, with plenty of hotels. Also, the Comfort Suites across the street from HCS is not bad at all (not the Days Inn next to there though).

I am a Crew season ticket member, since 2019, and have been attending Crew matches long before that. Some of the complaints about going to Historic Crew Stadium on here are silly.

First off, you do not stay at the hotels or motels on Dublin Granville or Morse Road. Polaris is just 10 min away due north, with plenty of hotels. Also, the Comfort Suites across the street from HCS is not bad at all (not the Days Inn next to there though).

I am a Crew season ticket member, since 2019, and have been attending Crew matches long before that. Some of the complaints about going to Historic Crew Stadium on here are silly.
Are you assuming everyone from outside Columbus is gonna know Columbus enough to not stay in those bad areas? It's just not good.

Polaris and Easton are solid.

Also if "Historic Crew Stadium" is so great, why did they build a new stadium downtown in a better part of town?

Yes they do and Football is not apart off the future plans just to retrofit Crew Stadium for Football is 100K they no longer have the Goal post nor the Pockets for them they were removed during the last field renovations.
They're literally hosting a football game this weekend. Gahanna-Lincoln vs. New Albany

I'm not against Toledo getting an occasional shot and some state agency offices could be sent to Toledo or other regions. Yes there should be some "decentralized" state government. Leaders lead and they should look out for all areas of Ohio.
No thanks, I don't need to be led.

As long as OHSAA solicits bids rather than does the soliciting themselves for the best cost, you're only going to get the locations actually eager to host. And it might not be the most beneficial to the OHSAA.

Currently, Canton was the only interested party.

As for those complaining about Columbus bidding, this isn't Ohio State. This would be the Browns and Haslam, owner of the Crew, wanting to make use of their old stadium that's still standing and turfed for events just like this. Ohio State and the previous Columbus hosts would have nothing to do with it.
Worth noting that the Crew/Haslams made very fast friends of the OHSAA after the ownership change. Precourt tripled the rent to host the state soccer finals, Haslams immediately returned it to the original rate.

in the pandemic year of 2020, Crew/Haslams let the OHSAA host the soccer finals for free in exchange for being awarded the next 5 year contract, cutting off an expected bid from Cincinnati.

OHSAA will remember those favors.

Playing the finals in Dayton or Toledo doesn't make any more sense than playing them in Canton. If the soccer stadium in Columbus has turf, play the finals at the soccer stadium in Columbus. I am kinda' surprised the soccer guys went with turf, I thought those guys were big on natural grass.
Historic Crew stadium has turf not the new stadium (Lower.com field)

2001, 2002 Canton, since we're cherry picking.

smh

1300 is not huge and is so team dependent as to invite some analysis for other reasons than location. Those Columbus years not only had Joe Burrow, who was a huge attraction they also had Bishop Ready and Wayne. The "central" location might not have made a huge difference one way or the other.
Ok and in Canton since they've returned have been aided by Massillon making (and losing) the state championship game twice. So...point still stands.

1300 is not huge
1,300 PER GAME is huge. That's nearly $20,000 PER GAME in ticket sales. Nearly $140,000 a weekend. Add on top of it that when the games were in Columbus the OHSAA wasn't paying for hotels for teams because it was centrally located. And they weren't paying to put their staff, officials, etc...in hotels because they were centrally located. So you're looking at $140,000 in ticket sales, plus a savings of $10,000ish (conservatively) in hotels. Maybe that ain't a big deal to you, but I bet it is to them.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL THE OHSAA IS GONNA BE SO PWNED WHEN THE TEAMS PLAYING THERE THIS WEEKEND HAVE TO GO FOR TWO EVERY TIME BECAUSE THERE'S NO FIELD GOAL POST POCKETS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Based on FBI statistics, Chillicothe, Canton, Cleveland, Springfield, Portsmouth, Whitehall, Dayton, and Logan are the most dangerous cities in Ohio for violent and property crime per capita. Rates in these cities consistently runs 100-210% higher than the state average.

The fairgrounds itself is fine - I lived at the corner of 11th Avenue and Fourth Street for a stretch, and never had any problems. Frankly, if you mind your own business and don't do stupid things like hanging out in an after-hours bar at 4 am, the locals will leave you alone. Most of the serious stuff in Columbus is the result of beefs between "social organizations" and/or their clients, or is related to domestic violence.

In other words, if you don't go looking for your next meth or oxy fix while you're in town, you have little to worry about.

Based on FBI statistics, Chillicothe, Canton, Cleveland, Springfield, Portsmouth, Whitehall, Dayton, and Logan are the most dangerous cities in Ohio for violent and property crime per capita. Rates in these cities consistently runs 100-210% higher than the state average.

The fairgrounds itself is fine - I lived at the corner of 11th Avenue and Fourth Street for a stretch, and never had any problems. Frankly, if you mind your own business and don't do stupid things like hanging out in an after-hours bar at 4 am, the locals will leave you alone. Most of the serious stuff in Columbus is the result of beefs between "social organizations" and/or their clients, or is related to domestic violence.

In other words, if you don't go looking for your next meth or oxy fix while you're in town, you have little to worry about.a
Now wait a minute......So your saying that if you don't try and rip off the dope boys, you'll be just fine attending a football game in Columbus? Get out of here!!! Some of these guys on here have posted what a big ole scary place Columbus is. It's all about geography. Canton is a lovely place, full of lovely people, and lovely things to do, and the locals think it's a big deal and all, however from any point in Ohio you can drive to Columbus in about 2 hours. I can attend an 8PM kickoff and simply drive home after the game, no hotels, no big deal, no problem. Cincinnati to Canton is 230 miles and takes 4 hours. Every state championship in every sport needs to be played in Columbus.....

I'm a little confused by the logic in some of these posts to be honest. There is definitely a case to be made to keep the championships in canton (HOF, Facilities, Volunteers, etc.) but safety at crew stadium is not even close to one. Keep in mind there literally have been 15-20k attending 18 home crew games per year on average from1999 to 2019 coming from many states and even countries at times with literally zero incidents at that location from the neighborhood. The worst thing you can say is the lot gets backed up trying to get out with very large crowds. The stadium's hosted multiple mls cups, numerous world cups qualifiers, soccer state championships, and even college football games. It's surrounded by the fairgrounds, the ohio historical society, the state patrol academy, brand new crew training facilities, and a lowes. Linden on the other side of 71 is a poorer neighborhood but far from a war zone as painted. I've seen worse areas in canton and lima to be honest.

The turf is state of the art and brand new as it's now a year round training center for the team ( they put a bubble over the field in the winter) and hosts the reserve and academy teams games. It's no longer suitable for pro soccer however it is more then suitable for state championships. Most importantly it's closer for the vast majority of the state. I can tell you there are hotels in most cities I wouldn't want to stay at. That's why I look at reviews. Luckily the stadium is literally on 71 and is very close to the arena district/downtown as well as just a few minutes more to polaris or easton.

There are a lot of nice hotels in Columbus right off of 670 near the airport, which is a bout 10 minutes from Old Crew Stadium. Downtown hotels are also about 10 minutes away. Crew stadium holds about 20,000. Not too big or too small! All 7 games could be played there. Plenty of parking. This is a perfect place for a state championship game.

Now wait a minute......So your saying that if you don't try and rip off the dope boys, you'll be just fine attending a football game in Columbus? Get out of here!!! Some of these guys on here have posted what a big ole scary place Columbus is. It's all about geography. Canton is a lovely place, full of lovely people, and lovely things to do, and the locals think it's a big deal and all, however from any point in Ohio you can drive to Columbus in about 2 hours. I can attend an 8PM kickoff and simply drive home after the game, no hotels, no big deal, no problem. Cincinnati to Canton is 230 miles and takes 4 hours. Every state championship in every sport needs to be played in Columbus.....
Swimming championships will never be in Columbus....the largest Natatorium in the state is at Canton Mckinley High School...and when I mean larger it holds more then any other one in the state.. https://www.visitcanton.com/directory/ct-branin-natatorium/ never hear to much complaining from the Cinnci area about coming here every year

I'm a little confused by the logic in some of these posts to be honest. There is definitely a case to be made to keep the championships in canton (HOF, Facilities, Volunteers, etc.) but safety at crew stadium is not even close to one. Keep in mind there literally have been 15-20k attending 18 home crew games per year on average from1999 to 2019 coming from many states and even countries at times with literally zero incidents at that location from the neighborhood. The worst thing you can say is the lot gets backed up trying to get out with very large crowds. The stadium's hosted multiple mls cups, numerous world cups qualifiers, soccer state championships, and even college football games. It's surrounded by the fairgrounds, the ohio historical society, the state patrol academy, brand new crew training facilities, and a lowes. Linden on the other side of 71 is a poorer neighborhood but far from a war zone as painted. I've seen worse areas in canton and lima to be honest.

The turf is state of the art and brand new as it's now a year round training center for the team ( they put a bubble over the field in the winter) and hosts the reserve and academy teams games. It's no longer suitable for pro soccer however it is more then suitable for state championships. Most importantly it's closer for the vast majority of the state. I can tell you there are hotels in most cities I wouldn't want to stay at. That's why I look at reviews. Luckily the stadium is literally on 71 and is very close to the arena district/downtown as well as just a few minutes more to polaris or easton.
Then you have never been to Linden. i grew up in North Linden and its no place to wander into day or night. Your % of finding serious trouble goes way up.

Swimming championships will never be in Columbus....the largest Natatorium in the state is at Canton Mckinley High School...and when I mean larger it holds more then any other one in the state.. https://www.visitcanton.com/directory/ct-branin-natatorium/ never hear to much complaining from the Cinnci area about coming here every year
It's Cincy with a y......and if them rich folks from St.X don't mind driving twice as far to pickup their state championship trophy every year that's on them. 99.9999% of the sports fans in Ohio would not go watch a swim meet unless they had a kid on the team, so they could park that thing in Ashtabula and nobody would notice. Casual fans might like to watch Moe v. St.Ed, or Hoban v. Kings, or Marion Local and Coldwater and Kirtland v. anybody in football, but they ain't gonna' drive 4 hours to do it.

It's Cincy with a y......and if them rich folks from St.X don't mind driving twice as far to pickup their state championship trophy every year that's on them. 99.9999% of the sports fans in Ohio would not go watch a swim meet unless they had a kid on the team, so they could park that thing in Ashtabula and nobody would notice. Casual fans might like to watch Moe v. St.Ed, or Hoban v. Kings, or Marion Local and Coldwater and Kirtland v. anybody in football, but they ain't gonna' drive 4 hours to do it.
Go back and read the post I was answering to...he was saying that all championships need to be in Columbus...I am showing that would never happen...and I prefer cinnci

Then you have never been to Linden. i grew up in North Linden and its no place to wander into day or night. Your % of finding serious trouble goes way up.
I had multiple coaches from the Columbus City League tell me this year they were not comfortable coaching when visiting Linden

Dayton bid is expected to be a two site deal. I’m guessing games at Welcome and others at Centerville stadium which seats around 9,000.

1,300 PER GAME is huge. That's nearly $20,000 PER GAME in ticket sales. Nearly $140,000 a weekend. Add on top of it that when the games were in Columbus the OHSAA wasn't paying for hotels for teams because it was centrally located. And they weren't paying to put their staff, officials, etc...in hotels because they were centrally located. So you're looking at $140,000 in ticket sales, plus a savings of $10,000ish (conservatively) in hotels. Maybe that ain't a big deal to you, but I bet it is to them.
AND you ignored every other point that went along with it. It's a pretty detailed analysis needed to show why attendance was higher. Years, economy, which teams were playing is as much a part of it as whether or not drive time affected home ticket sales. You wanted to give an anecdote. I gave a bigger one. Canton out-performed Columbus.

You're right about the money. As a percent, it's not huge but margins are small. Any money helps. Knowing from WHERE the money came from is important too. Who has that data? OHSAA has that data. And the games were not put in Columbus. Maybe they know something we don't?

Regardless, as I already wrote, Columbus is not my choice. I'd rather balance the books in ANY other location over Columbus. If the books can be balanced, most "efficient" isn't always the most needed.

AND you ignored every other point that went along with it. It's a pretty detailed analysis needed to show why attendance was higher. Years, economy, which teams were playing is as much a part of it as whether or not drive time affected home ticket sales. You wanted to give an anecdote. I gave a bigger one. Canton out-performed Columbus.

You're right about the money. As a percent, it's not huge but margins are small. Any money helps. Knowing from WHERE the money came from is important too. Who has that data? OHSAA has that data. And the games were not put in Columbus. Maybe they know something we don't?

Regardless, as I already wrote, Columbus is not my choice. I'd rather balance the books in ANY other location over Columbus. If the books can be balanced, most "efficient" isn't always the most needed.
I didn't ignore your other point, I simply pointed out the only point that matters. Money. The games were not put in Columbus because there wasn't a facility capable of hosting the event that offered to host the event. Now there is.

Yeah, 99.9999% aren't driving 2hrs or even 1hr for a game that their favorite team isn't playing in.
That being said Crew stadium is a WAY better option than the shoe...

This is a load of crap! You are just making chit up now to push your point. And you also failed to mention the revenue the state gets from online viewers 🤷🏻‍♂️. I wont give an amount because I dont have access to OHSAA books and I’m guessing neither do you so stop with the BS. Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnatti or Canton will only get the games if they can sell AND execute the best product, period. And another thing, you keep pushing that Canton is so far away that nobody wants to drive there. Fact is Canton is only 60 miles further than C’bus from geographic center of Ohio, 2 hours round trip. Not exactly like driving from Cincy to Ashtabula. I get why anyone pushes for a particular city, you want C’bus because it is closer for you, I want Canton for same reason.

Last edited: