Notre Dame

I like how ND is playing. Solid D, very good running game, and they aren't asking Pyne to do things he can't do. In the words of Rees, he is doing his you-know-what job. Special teams have been good.

I watched them beat Syracuse and thought, "This is a pretty good football team." and that made me think they would beat Clemson. They aren't what I thought they would be at the beginning of the year, and they won't be what they could be until there is an upgrade in talent at the QB position, but they are solid.

More important than that is I think MF has done a really good job since they were 1-2. That thing could have fallen apart, but he steadied a very wobbly ship. He needs to go find him a difference-making QB for next year in the portal.

Defense gave up a few gash plays, but overall a solid first half. I’m hoping the O line exerts some run-block dominance in the second half.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

So last week WAS an anomaly.

They start the 2nd half with pass, pass, pass (int). Then next drive pass, draw play on 2nd and 17, followed by another pass.

This resulted in 3 sacks and 1 int. resulting in a TD. With a 5'10" QB at the helm. Against Navy.

Taking Pyne's awfulness out of the equation ND ran the ball 24 times today for 83 yards.

Rees is BRUTAL.

Last edited:
So last week WAS an anomoly.

Rees is BRUTAL.
Last week wasn’t an anomaly, but Rees has to get out of the damn way and let the O line try to take control of the game. Which is hard to do when you continually try to pass on first down up three scores, then mystifyingly keep calling runs on second and long or third and long.

Yes, Rees is brutal. Hopefully Freeman sees it like we do and isn’t afraid to jettison the deadweight to bolster his tenure.

So last week WAS an anomoly.

They start the 2nd half with pass, pass, pass (int). Then next drive pass, draw play on 2nd and 17, followed by another pass.

This resulted in 3 sacks and 1 int. resulting in a TD. With a 5'10" QB at the helm. Against Navy.

Taking Pyne's awfulness out of the equation ND ran the ball 24 times today for 83 yards.

Rees is BRUTAL.
No, that’s ND playing to their competition. They could very well lose next week to BC and beat USC.

Freeman is recruiting at an elite level, I feel better about him. Golden has been mostly ok at DC, but Rees is just terrible. And you’ve got r**ards like Orlovsky riding his jock. It’s ridiculous

No, that’s ND playing to their competition. They could very well lose next week to BC and beat USC.

Freeman is recruiting at an elite level, I feel better about him. Golden has been mostly ok at DC, but Rees is just terrible. And you’ve got r**ards like Orlovsky riding his jock. It’s ridiculous
It was an anomaly from a play calling standpoint. Rees and ND ran the ball down a superior front 7's throat a week ago.

This is the big problem with modern OC's. They will tell you that they have the right pass play for any defense presented. They always overlook the many variables such as having a 5'10" QB whose passes get deflected (and then intercepted). I do not care if Navy loads the box with 9 defenders, ND should still be able to pick up 4 yards a pop.

Regardless, we are all in agreement that Rees needs to go for several reasons.

Going back to the Navy game, one of the ND insiders said that in the 2nd half, Pyne audibled out of 5 to 7 running plays.

Going back to the Navy game, one of the ND insiders said that in the 2nd half, Pyne audibled out of 5 to 7 running plays.
This goes back to the how many in the box vs how many safeties are high. You do want your QB to have some leeway but he needs to be coached up better. With the talent of their backs, TEs, and Oline it should be a heavy dose of run with PA pass with perhaps 5 to 8 shots downfield all game.

They did everything but lose. 12 yards of Offense in the 2nd half is disgraceful.
That is bad. I didn't watch that game but kept my eye on the score. Weren't the Irish up kinda big at half?

Sometimes with Navy, you just want to shorten the game, limit how many cut blocks your D linemen take, and win. So you run and shorten the game - but it can be dangerous if that equates to shutting down your offense and the other guys keep going all out to win. FWIW

That is bad. I didn't watch that game but kept my eye on the score. Weren't the Irish up kinda big at half?

Sometimes with Navy, you just want to shorten the game, limit how many cut blocks your D linemen take, and win. So you run and shorten the game - but it can be dangerous if that equates to shutting down your offense and the other guys keep going all out to win. FWIW
It was 35-13 at half. ND couldn’t figure out how to counteract a basic cover 0 blitz.

And to think, I was castigated on here last week when I said Michigan and Notre Dame have the best offensive lines in the Midwest.

For the stat “total defense” ND is ranked no 26.
Seven Big Ten teams are ranked above them. Clemson is ranked 32.

For the stat “total offense” ND is ranked 78.
Seven Big Ten teams are ranked above them. Clemson is 53.

In “rushing offense” ND is ranked 43.
Four Big Ten teams are ranked above them.

In “sacks allowed“ ND is tied for 47 with Northwestern.
Six Big Ten teams are ranked above them.

For the stat “total defense” ND is ranked no 26.
Seven Big Ten teams are ranked above them. Clemson is ranked 32.

For the stat “total offense” ND is ranked 78.
Seven Big Ten teams are ranked above them. Clemson is 53.

In “rushing offense” ND is ranked 43.
Four Big Ten teams are ranked above them.

In “sacks allowed“ ND is tied for 47 with Northwestern.
Six Big Ten teams are ranked above them.
The offense stats you mention are nearly 100% attributable to Tommy Rees and the lack of a QB.

The fact that several defenses have good overall numbers is simply because a lot of Big Ten teams have offenses that would be more suited for 1950 than 2022.

The offense stats you mention are nearly 100% attributable to Tommy Rees and the lack of a QB.

The fact that several defenses have good overall numbers is simply because a lot of Big Ten teams have offenses that would be more suited for 1950 than 2022.

So Rees and the qb give up sacks on purpose?

Yet half the Big Ten offenses are ranked above ND.

The ND passing offense is ranked 109. A lot of that is certainly Rees and Pyne. Maybe if the o-line was better they could be better than 43 in rushing offense and take some pressure off the passing game.
The o-line is not a bad one, but it is certainly not clearly the best or second best in the midwest.

But hey, ignore facts and records if it makes you feel better.

So Rees and the qb give up sacks on purpose?

Yet half the Big Ten offenses are ranked above ND.

The ND passing offense is ranked 109. A lot of that is certainly Rees and Pyne. Maybe if the o-line was better they could be better than 43 in rushing offense and take some pressure off the passing game.
The o-line is not a bad one, but it is certainly not clearly the best or second best in the midwest.

But hey, ignore facts and records if it makes you feel better.
He recruited a 5-10 QB who can’t see over the LOS. And the OL was responsible for 260 yards rushing vs a Clemson D with 3 5* players on the DL.