Ohio Cardinal Conference

I believe it may have been West Holmes or maybe Lexington that voted no to New Philly. West Holmes also voted no on Shelby.
Lex voted no for Phil and was the only one. West Holmes was against adding Shelby but I don't know if it ever got to a vote for them.

I’ve seen multiple times that West Holmes didn’t want Phila/doesn’t want Dover. Why is this? They’re close to them geographically, and in the middle of the league in enrollment. Any reason why they would feel this way? I would think that West Holmes would be pulling for those to schools, but the opposite seems true.
The league talked about going 10 teams with two division by adding NP and Dover. WH wanted to grow the league but didn't want to be in the division with those two.

The league talked about going 10 teams with two division by adding NP and Dover. WH wanted to grow the league but didn't want to be in the division with those two.
Right, that’s what I remember. My question still stands though- why didn’t West Holmes want that? Those three teams seem like a natural fit together.

That kind of makes sense, actually. WH would have a tough time competing year after year in the major sports in a conference with NP, Dover, Wooster, and Ashland

I mentioned Louisville before because they don’t have a conference right now. I could envision down the road WH going to the PAC and Louisville joining the OCC in an East region with Dover, NP, Woo, Ashland

I mentioned Louisville before because they don’t have a conference right now. I could envision down the road WH going to the PAC and Louisville joining the OCC in an East region with Dover, NP, Woo, Ashland
Or not. Lol. Just googled the drive from Louisvillle to Ashland

Or not. Lol. Just googled the drive from Louisvillle to Ashland
It’s actually a slightly shorter drive than Ashland to Dover/New Phila.

And actually Ashland would sort of be the outlier of the 5. Wooster, Dover, Phila, and Louisville are all 45 min or less to each other, while Ashland is 30 min from Wooster, but an hour ten from the other three. I still like the idea of doing an east/west split, but it would be cool if they could add enough schools to keep Ashland in the west. An East of Wooster, Dover, Phila, Louisville, Alliance, and Marlington would be nice for competition and travel, but at that point they should probably just be a separate conference while the other 6 OCC schools retain the OCC.

Last edited:
You might be on to something. Forget Marlington. The East could be Dover, NP, Louisville, Alliance, Wooster. The west could be WH, Ashland, Senior, Madison, Lex. That’s a bad conference.

Right, that’s what I remember. My question still stands though- why didn’t West Holmes want that? Those three teams seem like a natural fit together.
When this talk was taking place, WH was either bottom feeders or close to that in many sports and was looking at some serious beat downs had they been in a division with Dover and NP. Now they have been improving with some kids moving into or back into the district.

When this talk was taking place, WH was either bottom feeders or close to that in many sports and was looking at some serious beat downs had they been in a division with Dover and NP. Now they have been improving with some kids moving into or back into the district.
Ah makes sense. I think they would be competitive, for what it’s worth.

West Holmes up until a couple years ago had a 30 year history of running the wing T and a lot of the defensive coaches were part of that. I think they may give up a td early but then they’ll settle in. Their all state ILB is averaging like 20 tackles a game so this is a perfect game for him to show out.
I heard Baldridge set the school record for tackles against St Marys.
Anybody know if that’s true? The number I heard seems unreal so I’m not sure it’s legit.

Ah makes sense. I think they would be competitive, for what it’s worth.
They probably could now. But they already cast their ballot and now that option is gone. I think Dover will have a good chance to get in but there will be complaints and unhappy fans every season because of travel. IMO this will not be a long term league and just like Mt Vernon, schools will always be looking. Of course MV is the biggest school in the OCC and can't compete in the money sports so they are looking at something they can. Maybe

They probably could now. But they already cast their ballot and now that option is gone. I think Dover will have a good chance to get in but there will be complaints and unhappy fans every season because of travel. IMO this will not be a long term league and just like Mt Vernon, schools will always be looking. Of course MV is the biggest school in the OCC and can't compete in the money sports so they are looking at something they can. Maybe
It always blows my mind that Mount Vernon isn't better at the "money sports." Their superintendent use to be a head football coach before moving into administration (Bill Seder, 16 years as Waynedale Head Coach). Wouldn't you want to support your sports teams in a district that large? From the outside it looks like it could be a gold mine of talent with the number of kids they have...

It always blows my mind that Mount Vernon isn't better at the "money sports." Their superintendent use to be a head football coach before moving into administration (Bill Seder, 16 years as Waynedale Head Coach). Wouldn't you want to support your sports teams in a district that large? From the outside it looks like it could be a gold mine of talent with the number of kids they have...
I don't think they struggle in football because the Super is not supportive. The MV facilities and equipment is second to none in the OCC.

That's one of the things that makes the OCC a very nice league. Is the fact all schools have very nice facilities. Dover also has very nice facilities. So at least from that standpoint the could be a good fit.

With some chatter about Dover joining the OCC I looked up some travel numbers.
Mansfield 66 miles
Ashland 49
Mount Vernon 53
Wooster 32
West Holmes 28

Not as far as I thought and definitely closer than ECOL travel or independent schedule travel. A win for Dover to be accepted.

Tough loss for West Holmes. Sorry to see their season come to end. A really great team.
Interesting enough they had 4 seniors starting on defense tonight and 5 on offense. They will return a good portion of the team, but will lose the east district offensive and defensive players of the year.

Mansfield 66 miles
Ashland 49
Mount Vernon 53
Wooster 32
West Holmes 28

Not as far as I thought and definitely closer than ECOL travel or independent schedule travel. A win for Dover to be accepted.
Dover would be replacing Mt.Vernon. Lexington would be around 70 miles.

You might be on to something. Forget Marlington. The East could be Dover, NP, Louisville, Alliance, Wooster. The west could be WH, Ashland, Senior, Madison, Lex. That’s a bad conference.
Ok who has connections to the schools? I’d love to see alliance play some higher end competition yearly. Someone pull some strings here 🤣

Mansfield 66 miles
Ashland 49
Mount Vernon 53
Wooster 32
West Holmes 28

I'd like to know how you get from Dover high School to Mt Vernon high school in 53 miles?
The trip from Dover to Mansfield may be less miles but it will take longer. Which means your students will get home later on week nights from contests.

The official announcement will be made this week.
Looking closer at it, these changes look like a good idea for most. Mt. Vernon would become the 6th team in the division with Licking Valley, Granville, Zanesville, Licking Hts, and Watkins Memorial, while Dover would potentially replace them in the OCC. Hoping this all gets approved.

I'd like to know how you get from Dover high School to Mt Vernon high school in 53 miles?
The trip from Dover to Mansfield may be less miles but it will take longer. Which means your students will get home later on week nights from contests.
The distance discrepancy is a glitch on the map app. It is about 63 mile but since they are possibly leaving I guess it doesn’t matter.
Those distances are not ideal but we really only have 1 option at this point and it is definitely shorter trips than the independent schedule of this past season and shorter than the ECOL.