Mentor Football 2022

The most complete game of the year. If they played like this all season, the team would be easily undefeated. But sometimes, you need the lows to figure some stuff out.

The defense played very well. Medina is super takented, so holding them to 21 is impressive. The defensive game plan was a mixed bag of review from me, but some more aggressive play calling on 4th down made up for it.

Offensively, they missed some chances but 80% of the time they were on track. A great mix of running and passing. The offense misses Stapleton. It would’ve looked even better with him out there. Waite had a great game. Offensive line won the line of scrimmage.

Gray and Funk deserve some credit. The players executed a good game plan. Enjoy this win. It is the most surprising playoff victory since 2017 against St Eds.

Congrats, Cards! Your REAL fans knew you were a special team this year 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
This was a great win. Don’t try to distract that with this comment. Let’s not try to define the team as “special” unless they (at least) win the region. Mentor’s standard is high. Six regular season wins and a regional runner-up is not a special season compared to what Mentor did the past twenty years. I’m not saying it’s a bad season, but it wouldn’t be special. No matter what happens next week, my playoff expectations have been exceeded. Job well done, Mentor.

This was a really, really good win. I hope they enjoy it, learn from it, and get ready for what is next. I will heap praises when it is deserved. The offense and defense were great tonight. The coaching was better. The special teams were poor, but the other two areas overcame it.

Heard special teams is terrible once again . And Gray called 3 straight pass plays from the 5....

Hope they don't blow this
Waite ran to the 7 for a 1st down. Waite then ran to the 5 on 2nd down. It looked like a TD pass to Cerny on 3rd down, but the back of his heel came down on the end line. On third down the pass to Jares was just out of bounds. Short FG attempt was just wide left.

As I sit in the parking lot of Twinsburg I could not wait to get home to tell all you guys that simply don’t understand football “again” that mentor had more talent. I told you a month ago if they don’t turn it over they’ll win by 2 scores. I was wrong it was 3. Watch the games and understand what’s going on instead of going off the hype. Mentor was better the first time and tonight they proved they’re a better team. Look out Ed’s cause guess what? They can beat them too.

This was a great win. Don’t try to distract that with this comment. Let’s not try to define the team as “special” unless they (at least) win the region. Mentor’s standard is high. Six regular season wins and a regional runner-up is not a special season compared to what Mentor did the past twenty years. I’m not saying it’s a bad season, but it wouldn’t be special. No matter what happens next week, my playoff expectations have been exceeded. Job well done, Mentor.

This was a really, really good win. I hope they enjoy it, learn from it, and get ready for what is next. I will heap praises when it is deserved. The offense and defense were great tonight. The coaching was better. The special teams were poor, but the other two areas overcame it.
Whack jobs are the only ones holding the current players to the standard of a past era. These kids and coaches are proving themselves in a new era. They don’t need your approval.

Internal bickering aside, I look forward to another Mentor/St Edward playoff game. Both teams have beat the other as underdogs in the playoffs. I have no doubt we are in for a battle. Wouldn’t have it any other way
It's mostly just the Riverside crazy stirring it up again. His school lost in the equivalent of the second round in real playoffs and he called it a historic year ... The standards are low there

I didn't get to see the game yet but congrats to the Mentor players. I don't think they'll beat Eds but I didn't think they'd beat Medina either. So who knows?.

That isn't "not knowing football either ". You can have opinions both positive and negative on your school and not be a homer. And still hope they win when you pick against them. I'll take being wrong everytime in that scenario!!!

Whack jobs are the only ones holding the current players to the standard of a past era. These kids and coaches are proving themselves in a new era. They don’t need your approval.
Well, then Coach Gray must be a whack job. He holds the team to the high standard as well. The players must be whack jobs. They fully expected this season to be in position to compete for a state title. Just because your standard has been lowered, don’t force it on the coaches, players, and community.

They definitely don’t need my approval. I agree. They need your standard-lowering even less than they need my approval.

Well, then Coach Gray must be a whack job. He holds the team to the high standard as well. The players must be whack jobs. They fully expected this season to be in position to compete for a state title. Just because your standard has been lowered, don’t force it on the coaches, players, and community.

They definitely don’t need my approval. I agree. They need your standard-lowering even less than they need my approval.
Oh I certainly believe that was their standard all season. The support I saw from friends and classmates for their kids didn’t waver at all. Unlike what we were reading on here from those who have no connection at all to the program other than being former grads.

Oh I certainly believe that was their standard all season. The support I saw from friends and classmates for their kids didn’t waver at all. Unlike what we were reading on here from those who have no connection at all to the program other than being former grads.
Serious question. Why do you care so much ? Worry about your own program. When losing in the final 16 is considered a historic season by you , I quite frankly don't give a damn about your opinion.

Riverside doesn't have a standard. You guys have 4 or 5 playoff wins in history. Mentor equals that or close in one "special" season.

Again we all want Mentor to win. Some of us will take the opinion that they always have a shot. I try to look at it objectively and give my thoughts. If proven wrong when I pick against them I'm thrilled !

Think of it this way. Let's say Penn State is 15 ranked playing number 1 Ohio State. Some Penn State guys who are homers say they can win any game. Other Penn State guys hope they win but think osu is better. So if Penn State pulls the upset , those fans who picked OSU aren't real fans ?

Give me a fricken break.

Go Mentor

As I sit in the parking lot of Twinsburg I could not wait to get home to tell all you guys that simply don’t understand football “again” that mentor had more talent. I told you a month ago if they don’t turn it over they’ll win by 2 scores. I was wrong it was 3. Watch the games and understand what’s going on instead of going off the hype. Mentor was better the first time and tonight they proved they’re a better team. Look out Ed’s cause guess what? They can beat them too.
I was at the first game. Mentor’s offense was getting whatever they wanted. Snow was a big difference maker. The turnovers by Fox were too much to overcome. No turnovers tonight was the difference. That and the defense played a lot better than September.

Eds lines are really really really good. That D line and Kilbane are a major problem. Part of me wants to go to this game, part of me thinks the better decision might be Padua Holy Name. I just don't see anyone combatting that D line for 4 full quarters.

I love this. It’s so true. Get so sick of hearing about yesteryear. These guys can’t see the forest through the trees. This is a good group of players jelling at the right time and half the people on here wanna talk about teams from 5 10 years ago. I don’t know if they’ll beat Ed’s but I know they’re talented enough to beat them. Enjoy the ride instead of comparing them to teams of past.

I was at the first game. Mentor’s offense was getting whatever they wanted. Snow was a big difference maker. The turnovers by Fox were too much to overcome. No turnovers tonight was the difference. That and the defense played a lot better than September.
I agree… the defense was a huge part of the win. They were VERY good tonight. They will need to be as good or better to beat Ed’s but I believe they can. Mentors offense was great tonight and that was without Stapleton. Granted Ed’s D is a lot better but I think we’re in for a great game. “One more week”. Go Cards!!

I believe this is now the 11th appearance in the final 8 in the last 21 years for Mentor. 7-4 at this stage in that timeframe
It is the 11th regional final, but the 12th time in the final 8 since 2002. The odd ball was the stretch of years where D1 was two regions. So the final 8 was technically a regional semifinal. Here is Mentor’s record in the round of final 8:

WGH: 1-1
St Eds: 1-2
Hudson: 0-1
Medina: 1-0
Glenville: 1-0
St Ignatius: 3-1

If you count 2013 state semifinal/regional final against St Edward, the two programs are 2-2 in the regional final against each other.

It is the 11th regional final, but the 12th time in the final 8 since 2002. The odd ball was the stretch of years where D1 was two regions. So the final 8 was technically a regional semifinal. Here is Mentor’s record in the round of final 8:

WGH: 1-1
St Eds: 1-2
Hudson: 0-1
Medina: 1-0
Glenville: 1-0
St Ignatius: 3-1

If you count 2013 state semifinal/regional final against St Edward, the two programs are 2-2 in the regional final against each other.
Yes I forgot 2014. So 12 times in 21 years Mentor has made it this far. Very impressive for a public school.