The Official 2023 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Semi-realistic is that the Reds do not get anyone. Either that, or they overspend for a washed up / poor player (like Minor), so perhaps we sign Longoria?
All kidding aside, I do think you'll see the Reds go get a couple free agents to plug some holes. Brandon Drury is available as a free agent again, he may get some more interest this time though.

The only free agents I could see the Reds signing are a stopgap outfielder and maybe a low-tier starting pitcher. Someone like AJ Pollock or Robbie Grossman on a short-term deal for the outfield wouldn’t stun me.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

The Reds made a trade with the Rangers to acquire utility infielder Nick Solak in exchange for cash. Solak will be 28 and was a full-time starter in 2020 and 2021 before the Rangers acquired Corey Seager and Marcus Semien.

He’s a career 92 OPS+ hitter with not a lot of pop. He’s not into arbitration until 2024 nor a free agent until 2027, so he’s a cheap player.

He also could see time in the outfield. Aside from versatility, this really does little to improve the team and in fact could be a downgrade if this means they’re not going to try to re-sign Donovan Solano.

The Reds made a trade with the Rangers to acquire utility infielder Nick Solak in exchange for cash. Solak will be 28 and was a full-time starter in 2020 and 2021 before the Rangers acquired Corey Seager and Marcus Semien.

He’s a career 92 OPS+ hitter with not a lot of pop. He’s not into arbitration until 2024 nor a free agent until 2027, so he’s a cheap player.

He also could see time in the outfield. Aside from versatility, this really does little to improve the team and in fact could be a downgrade if this means they’re not going to try to re-sign Donovan Solano.

Wow! We got Solak! Are season tickets on sale yet?

The Reds are going to have to add "some" players because many of the young guns are still in A ball. Solak seems to fit the bill of a veteran who can play multiple positions.

It’s a little interesting how the Reds have avoided national ridicule for the Ken Griffey Jr. deferred payments, since the Mets get made fun of every year for Bobby Bonilla.

That just popped into my head since deferred payments are back in the news with Edwin Diaz getting deferred payments from the Mets from 2028 to 2042.

Reds are still paying Whiffey more than $3.5 million a year through 2024.

The "any warm body who can stand on the field and does not cost much" strategy. Very inspiring for fans.
Just be grateful there's a team on the field and they're having fun out there. Pretty sure that sums up 14Reds talking points for the next season.

The Reds need to use the min/max strategy to compete "consistently".

They are definitely in the min phase of talent and need to match payroll with that.

It’s a little interesting how the Reds have avoided national ridicule for the Ken Griffey Jr. deferred payments, since the Mets get made fun of every year for Bobby Bonilla.

That just popped into my head since deferred payments are back in the news with Edwin Diaz getting deferred payments from the Mets from 2028 to 2042.

Reds are still paying Whiffey more than $3.5 million a year through 2024.

Few differences that make the Bonilla thing more laughable

Bonilla's is for 24 years and Griffs was only for 15.

Also, a big difference is that deferred payment to griffey was part of his contract he agreed to when he signed. He played a number of years for them with that understanding on the books.

Bonilla's was the remainder of his contract as he was owed like 6 million dollars after he was released. His agent worked out a deal to make that 6 million into nearly 30 million!

Aquino and Hoffman were among six Reds who got DFA’d today to make room on the 40-man roster for prospects who needed to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.

I’m surprised they let Hoffman go. I figured he would at least be an experienced arm for long relief if nothing else. I’m glad Aquino is gone. He was never going to figure it out at the plate. Hopefully some other team claims him so the Reds can be done with their Aquino dalliance.

The non-tender deadline is Friday, so it’ll be interesting to see who else gets the boot, if anyone. The main name to watch is Kyle Farmer. Will they want to pay around $6 million for a 32-year-old who’s best use is as a utility guy against LH pitchers? Maybe Solak is a cheaper replacement for Farmer?

Raimel Tapia getting DFA’d by Toronto seems like the type of low-ceiling, inexpensive rental outfielder the Reds would go after to patch together a roster for 2023.

A random quirk: The Reds played in the top two 2022 regular season games in terms of ticket demand/price.

C62C753F-566B-4E92-BEE4-EE59649070BF.png

Raimel Tapia getting DFA’d by Toronto seems like the type of low-ceiling, inexpensive rental outfielder the Reds would go after to patch together a roster for 2023.

I'd go get him in a heartbeat. Jays probably didn't like his .280 OBP, he did go .369/ 327 in 2020/2021.

I'd go get him in a heartbeat. Jays probably didn't like his .280 OBP, he did go .369/ 327 in 2020/2021.
He profiles as someone a team could use as a fourth outfielder, but that’s about it. He’s had a below league average OPS+ every year of his career.

The best-case scenario would be that he gets hot for a couple months and can get flipped for a prospect.

The Reds outfield is just a dumpster fire right now. Jake Fraley is the only one who is a probable starter, and even he’s just OK. Other than that, you’ve got a big pile of nothing: Senzel, Fairchild, Friedl, Siani.

If they’re going for a rental, I’d much rather they trade something to Seattle for Winker. It shouldn’t be a costly transaction since Winker has effectively been turfed from the Mariners. They’re clearly going with Julio Rodriguez, Teoscar Hernandez and probably Jarred Kelenic in the outfield, assuming they don’t re-sign Mitch Haniger.

At least Winker brings a power threat to the lineup, which the Reds desperately need.

Hopefully one of the young guys from the minors shows up big in spring training and claims an outfield spot, relegating Senzel to fourth outfielder since he’s rarely healthy or productive.

Last edited:
He profiles as someone a team could use as a fourth outfielder, but that’s about it. He’s had a below league average OPS+ every year of his career.

The best-case scenario would be that he gets hot for a couple months and can get flipped for a prospect.

The Reds outfield is just a dumpster fire right now. Jake Fraley is the only one who is a probable starter, and even he’s just OK. Other than that, you’ve got a big pile of nothing: Senzel, Fairchild, Siani.

If they’re going for a rental, I’d much rather they trade something to Seattle for Winker. It shouldn’t be a costly transaction since Winker has effectively been turfed from the Mariners. They’re clearly going with Julio Rodriguez, Teoscar Hernandez and probably Jarred Kelenic in the outfield, assuming they don’t re-sign Mitch Haniger.

At least Winker brings a power threat to the lineup, which the Reds desperately need.

Hopefully one of the young guys from the minors shows up big in spring training and claims an outfield spot, relegating Senzel to fourth outfielder since he’s rarely healthy or productive.

The Reds have had a history of turning some guys around. Adam Duvall is probably the poster child for that. He was a border minor leaguer for the Giants, the Reds hit lightening in a bottle and then sent him to Atlanta and he's been great for them. Tapia not a slugger, he's guy with some speed. I'd really like to see the Reds get away from swinging for the long ball and try to manufacture offense.
If you can get Winker for the right price ok, but we know what he is, and he's no reliable either.

I'd really like to see the Reds get away from swinging for the long ball and try to manufacture offense.
I mean, sure, it would be great to have a team full of guys who hit well with runners in scoring position, but that’s not really realistic in this day and age. Most pitching is too good; most guys are throwing nasty stuff. It’s hard to string a bunch of hits or productive outs together.

It’s much easier to wait for a mistake and mash it instead of trying to play small ball. The stats don’t lie: The teams who hit the most home runs are almost always the most successful.

Above is the 2022 team batting table. Eight of the top 10 home run-hitting teams made the playoffs, including the champion Astros (4th) and NL pennant-winning Phillies (6th).

The Reds finished 19th in home runs despite playing 80 games in the easiest park in MLB to hit home runs. Yes, it helps to have speed and have guys who can hit situationally, but if you don’t have power bats, it’s very, very difficult to win in this era of baseball.

The Reds outfield is just a dumpster fire right now. Jake Fraley is the only one who is a probable starter, and even he’s just OK. Other than that, you’ve got a big pile of nothing: Senzel, Fairchild, Friedl, Siani.

Yeah I was stunned to see Toronto let Teoscar go. Seattle has an elite OF now, if they resign Haniger. Even without him it is one of the best OF.

I'd welcome Winker back immediately, but cannot imagine management would approve it.

I mean, sure, it would be great to have a team full of guys who hit well with runners in scoring position, but that’s not really realistic in this day and age. Most pitching is too good; most guys are throwing nasty stuff. It’s hard to string a bunch of hits or productive outs together.

It’s much easier to wait for a mistake and mash it instead of trying to play small ball. The stats don’t lie: The teams who hit the most home runs are almost always the most successful.

Above is the 2022 team batting table. Eight of the top 10 home run-hitting teams made the playoffs, including the champion Astros (4th) and NL pennant-winning Phillies (6th).

The Reds finished 19th in home runs despite playing 80 games in the easiest park in MLB to hit home runs. Yes, it helps to have speed and have guys who can hit situationally, but if you don’t have power bats, it’s very, very difficult to win in this era of baseball.

So with that thinking, do you just keep employing guys who don't hit home runs regularly but CAN hit and occasional homer? I think that makes no sense. I want guys who make contact and hit the ball hard, if it goes over the fence so be it, but to just sit back and wait for homers makes no sense to me. I'll take doubles hitters all day long. The Reds are a great example of why the long ball doesn't work. They don't have a team of home run hitters, why force a system into personnel you don't have. Believe it or not, the gap between Kyle Schwarber and Aristedes Aquino isn't that large. Both are powerful, but strike out alot. Schwarber is just better at it more consistently.

So with that thinking, do you just keep employing guys who don't hit home runs regularly but CAN hit and occasional homer? I think that makes no sense. I want guys who make contact and hit the ball hard, if it goes over the fence so be it, but to just sit back and wait for homers makes no sense to me. I'll take doubles hitters all day long. The Reds are a great example of why the long ball doesn't work. They don't have a team of home run hitters, why force a system into personnel you don't have. Believe it or not, the gap between Kyle Schwarber and Aristedes Aquino isn't that large. Both are powerful, but strike out alot. Schwarber is just better at it more consistently.
The long ball doesn’t work??? Then why did 8 of the top 10 home run-hitting teams make the playoffs?

Maybe the Reds need to change their personnel so they do have guys who can hit a substantial amount of home runs???

And comparing Kyle Schwarber and Aristides Aquino is ridiculous. One is a bonafide power hitter who has performed well in multiple playoff appearances. The other is strikeout king bum who got DFA’d twice in the past several months and has nothing but a rocket arm.

The long ball doesn’t work??? Then why did 8 of the top 10 home run-hitting teams make the playoffs?

Maybe the Reds need to change their personnel so they do have guys who can hit a substantial amount of home runs???

And comparing Kyle Schwarber and Aristides Aquino is ridiculous. One is a bonafide power hitter who has performed well in multiple playoff appearances. The other is strikeout king bum who got DFA’d twice in the past several months and has nothing but a rocket arm.

The long ball works IF you have home run hitters. If you don't have home run hitters, it's an awful stragety. And my example of Schwarber / Aquino is spot on. Both go up trying to hit home runs. Schwarber is just better at it.

The long ball works IF you have home run hitters. If you don't have home run hitters, it's an awful stragety. And my example of Schwarber / Aquino is spot on. Both go up trying to hit home runs. Schwarber is just better at it.
Dear Lord in heaven, please help this person, he apparently had a brain bleed.

If 8 of the top 10 HR hitting teams made the playoffs, and it happens this way every year the last five years, wouldn't it seem smart to try to shape your roster that way?

Schwarber 2022: 46 HR, .827 OPS. Career 199 HR, .834 OPS, playoffs 15 HR (in 52 games!!!), .898 OPS, salary $20M

Aquino 2022: 10 HR, .609 OPS. Career 41 HR, .719 OPS, 1 playoff game, salary - unemployed

Yep they are pretty much the same.

Dear Lord in heaven, please help this person, he apparently had a brain bleed.

If 8 of the top 10 HR hitting teams made the playoffs, and it happens this way every year the last five years, wouldn't it seem smart to try to shape your roster that way?

Schwarber 2022: 46 HR, .827 OPS. Career 199 HR, .834 OPS, playoffs 15 HR (in 52 games!!!), .898 OPS, salary $20M

Aquino 2022: 10 HR, .609 OPS. Career 41 HR, .719 OPS, 1 playoff game, salary - unemployed

Yep they are pretty much the same.
As I said, Schwarber is better at it.