Week 13 | Region 21 Semifinal: #4 Dalton (10-2) vs. #1 Kirtland (12-0)

A great, great matchup for Saturday.

In 2016, the Hornets’ only time in the last ten years where they did NOT make the state finals, they battled to defeat Dalton 21-0 in the first round.

This has the makings of a special game. Dalton appears to be clicking on all cylinders since losing to Hillsdale, which I assume was just one bad night. They have outscored teams 265-61 in that span. Also, beating Brookfield by three scores (nearly four) caught my attention for sure.

Kirtland has relied on efficiency and team play the entire season. To my knowledge, they still do not have a 1,000 yard rusher this season and rely on strong team play on both sides of the ball. They put on a repeat performance with back-to-back 48-6 wins the past two weeks.

This game will be quite physical, as that is the brand of both teams. All I can hope is that both teams make it out of this game safely, so the winner can be prepared for ANOTHER physical test against one of Mogadore or Cuyahoga Heights.

Lastly, as one of these teams will end the other’s season, it should be noted that Kirtland @ Dalton will be played week one of next season in a rematch of this game.

Safe to say, I am excited to see both where this game will be located and how the game turns out. Looking forward to Saturday!
Was at this game...Coach Dial's first year with a team that was 1-9 the previous season. The starting RB for Dalton (easily their best player) was out with Mono.....really believe it could have been a nailbiter if that kid played back then.

As for this week, I'm looking for a defensive slug-fest in this one...I do believe Kirtland comes out on top - but I look for Dalton to be in this game. I also believe Dalton (and Coach Dial) know they're playing with house money this week, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't throw the whole offensive playbook at Kirtland....

The thing that sticks out in my mind is how easily Brookfield moved the ball on Dalton in the first half of the game last week, but then self destructed in the redzone with multiple penalties. Kirtland is a much more disciplined team and will not have 7 or 8 offside penalties. If Kirtland goes in at half up 2 or 3 scores then I dont see Dalton being able to come back. I always root for the WCAL teams in the playoffs but I think this one gets out of hand early and often.

The thing that sticks out in my mind is how easily Brookfield moved the ball on Dalton in the first half of the game last week, but then self destructed in the redzone with multiple penalties. Kirtland is a much more disciplined team and will not have 7 or 8 offside penalties. If Kirtland goes in at half up 2 or 3 scores then I dont see Dalton being able to come back. I always root for the WCAL teams in the playoffs but I think this one gets out of hand early and often.
That is a great point about Brookfield moving the ball. I tend to agree with your prediction for this game. Dalton is still a very young team. They have sophomores all over the field. They usually win because of their discipline, toughness, and superiority in coaching. They will probably be the second most disciplined and well coached team on the field Saturday night. Kirtland is a buzzsaw..........maybe this year more than most years.

I agree with you somewhat as well but we all know why Brookfield moved the ball. Dalton came out in passing defense & Brookfield ran the ball. Dalton then stuffed the run & that Qb broke one when everyone was covered. Dalton then adjusted for the run and then it was game over. As always this game is gonna be won up front. You know Kirtland is gonna shove it down your throat. Will Dalton dish it out or just take it?

Hmm - I understand what your point is, I feel it's a little mislead though. Brookfield and Kirtland couldn't be more different offensively. Brookfield was a spread you out, try to out-athlete you, beat you with athletes and speed. Kirtland is Dalton on steriods....smash you, smash you, smash you, then smash you again. They aren't looking to spread you out and trick you. They're coming right at you......just totally different offenses is all....

Brookfield has some nice recruits. Handful of D2 commits and 2 D1 recruits. No TD’s allowed is something that Ursuline can’t say, regardless of self inflicted procedural calls. You are correct about Kirtland, however…

Fair point, although I will say, Dalton had one of their LB’s way outside like a corner, following #7, and I think that made a difference in them moving the ball early.

They may not have open enrollment but i would bet there are families moving into the district to get their kids into the football program.
We did an unscientific research report to show what percentage of students who started Kindergarten in Kirtland (88%) students who started Middle school (97%) and students who started high school (98%) and of that 2% of those students who moved to KIRTLAND, and of those athletes didn't contribute significantly to winning games. As mentioned by "4580" the kids are homegrown and want to play for Kirtland. Kirtland used to have a problem going the other way... We have some really high-profile private schools around Kirtland. Hawken, Gilmour, University, Lake Catholic, NDCL and we have also had Kirtland Kids play at St. Ed and St. Ignatius. We would lose students all the time. The report was of football players only. We looked at yearbooks so it was "scientific":) We did a few years ago to show to prove that they were home-grown kids. GO HORNETS.

5C20BD9B-7591-4B29-A971-5E46D55A1024.jpeg

We did an unscientific research report to show what percentage of students who started Kindergarten in Kirtland (88%) students who started Middle school (97%) and students who started high school (98%) and of that 2% of those students who moved to KIRTLAND, and of those athletes didn't contribute significantly to winning games. As mentioned by "4580" the kids are homegrown and want to play for Kirtland. Kirtland used to have a problem going the other way... We have some really high-profile private schools around Kirtland. Hawken, Gilmour, University, Lake Catholic, NDCL and we have also had Kirtland Kids play at St. Ed and St. Ignatius. We would lose students all the time. The report was of football players only. We looked at yearbooks so it was "scientific":) We did a few years ago to show to prove that they were home-grown kids. GO HORNETS.
Seems like ever year y’all are posting these same messages refuting the “transfers/they recruit/open enrollment” barbs folks drop. Almost like some refuse to believe those kids just work their butts off year round. The weight room picture that comes out the day after the state finals is something I look forward to. It allows me to block/mute all the folks who post “they should not be doing that/ that’s not allowed” comments. 😂

Last edited:
In fairness, this is more “scientific” than most of the “in the know” spoon feeding we get in these parts. 😂

Hmm - I understand what your point is, I feel it's a little mislead though. Brookfield and Kirtland couldn't be more different offensively. Brookfield was a spread you out, try to out-athlete you, beat you with athletes and speed. Kirtland is Dalton on steriods....smash you, smash you, smash you, then smash you again. They aren't looking to spread you out and trick you. They're coming right at you......just totally different offenses is all....
I was not referring to styles of offenses, more about the undisciplined penalties that Brookfield had that killed scoring opportunities. My point was that Kirtland won't make those kind of mistakes.

Consecutive win total is at 12…last loss was last year D5 state championship against Versailles. Going into that game their streak was at about 58 games
Ironically that game featured a team in Orange & Black with a great line. Hmmm. Wonder what the over/under is for the amount of times Dalton runs their qb Sat? That seemed to give Kirtland some issues in the 21 title game.

Consecutive win total is at 12…last loss was last year D5 state championship against Versailles. Going into that game their streak was at about 58 games
I don't know why but I totally forgot y'all lost that game. I legit thought you had something like a 65+ streak coming into this game.....wow, 70-1 in your last 71 games.....totally changes things for me...Dalton by 14 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂