Western Buckeye League 2022

I was wondering the last time Defiance put up 63 on the scoreboard. Really happy to see it. Defi's 63 points is tied for the third most points scored by any WBL team this season, behind Van Wert's 77 against Kenton, VW's 70 against SM, and tied with VW's 63 against Bryan. Brogan Castillo is only a junior right??

Last time Defiance scored 63 was week 10, 2007, a 63-33 win over Celina.

Brogan is a junior. Zipfel and Anthony Wilder are sophomores. I believe 4/5 of the Oline are sophomores or juniors. If they get one more young skill guy to step up and finish in the red zone, that offense could be scary good next year.

Good week 1 of the playoffs for the WBL, unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be the same in week 2

Defiance plays Mansfield, who’s turned into a real solid program recently. They’re 9-2 but only losses have come to Massilon (self explanatory) and West Holmes, who according to Drew Pasteur’s model is the best team in DIV. It’ll be a real tough task here for Defiance to win, but would love to see them pull it out

Wapak could beat Bellbrook, but after they put that beating on Celina this past week I’m not so confident anymore. Rematch from last year where Wapak made a solid comeback but ended up losing 42-35.

I expect Van Wert to win, but Perkins might be the best team they’ve played all season. They won their conference and their only loss is to one of the best teams in DVII.

St. Mary’s is unfortunately running up against aforementioned West Holmes, the #1 rated team in DIV (though I personally believe Glenville is the best team below DII). Would love to see the WBL get a win here, just don’t see it happening

Everything Defiance does from here on out is gravy. I just wanted the week 11 practices. I can't see them beating Mansfield, but if they play their best game? Sure. Why not.

I think Wapak and VW are slight favorites, but definitely not in comfortable situations.

I'd love to see SM beat WH and shut up the WH fan on here, but, well....don't think the Riders have enough. A VW, Glenville, Perkins, Elyria Catholic might (no guarantees), but probably not St. Marys.

If we can advance 2 to week 13 it's solid. Good luck to everyone left!

Last edited:
In looking at the 4 games this week, it could be a rough outing for the WBL. 3 of the 4 games, the WBL will be the underdog based on seeding alone.I think they could muster 2-2.

While Defiance ran wild over Cloverleaf, I think Mansfield is probably a bit bigger in the trenches. Mansfield played D2 Massillon and North Canton Hoover, along with West Holmes. So where Cloverleaf's soft schedule got a bit exposed, I think Mansfield is on the opposite side of the spectrum. If Defi plays as inspired as they did against Lodi, then they could be dangerous.

Wapak and Bellbrook played last year at Bellbrook in a 42-35 Golden Eagles win. I was a bit surprised last year was as close as it was, which leads me to believe that Wapak should have a clear edge this time around (as Bellbrook doesn't seem as good as last year, and Wapak seems better than last year). The main concern for Wapak, which is no surprise, is will their offense make plays? Against Wilmington, Wapak's D carried them. Bellbrook seems good enough to not make 4 turnovers worth of mistakes. Wapak the edge at home, but their offense is a liability.

Despite being the lower seed, VW is the favorite against Perkins (according to Fantastic50). Perkins has a lot of really impressive wins (Elyria Catholic, Huron, Clyde, Columbian, and a blowout over Port Clinton). The SBC is no joke. I think Van Wert's offense and defense has a higher ceiling than Perkins, personally, based on final scores this season. Perkins was in a lot more competitive, close games. Rooting for the Cougars to advance, although Van Wert hasn't really been challenged in a game since early September.

Unfortunately, in probably the biggest blowout of these four games, St Marys is likely in for a long night against West Holmes. WH seems as explosive, if not more explosive, than Van Wert; and the Roughriders gave up 70 to VW. The West Holmes offense has looked unstoppable this year, and St Marys defensively isn't exactly the best unit in the WBL. I don't think SM will be able to consistently stop WH.

Last edited:
Kinda crazy that three WBL teams this week have more than 2-hour drives to get to games. I realize how the regions work but it never seemed to be like this back in the 90s and 00s, maybe. Then again, there were no home games before 1999 either so travel was reduced.

By the way, apparently Defiance's game can be watched for free here: https://wmfdsports.com/player/27546/27546

Defiance already has 50 yards in penalties in the first offensive drive plus first Mansfield offensive play. This is not going to end up well.

More lack of red zone execution, failing to score on 4th and goal from the 1 and then giving up a backbreaking 99 yard TD drive.

Mansfield 14-0 at half.

Chalk up two more zero-point drives inside the opponents' 5 yard line for Defiance. Just unreal. It's not even always getting outplayed at the line either; effing dumb penalties and/or a sack just push them back. Mansfield clearly has better line play but TDs on those two drives puts Defiance right there in a 16-0 loss. Yet again the defense played well enough to win, giving up only 264 yards. 80 penalty yards to Mansfield's 40 yards hurt as well. Yes, it was the best Defiance season out of the last 14, but self-inflicted stuff in numerous games is frustrating. Next season should be interesting. Not sure how the WBL will be, there are only like 7 seniors that were major contributors to the team, but most of them played both ways so Defiance will still have to replace more than half of the total starting spots.

WBL Week 12 Final Scores
D3R10: Mansfield 16, Defiance 0
D3R12: Wapakoneta 29, Bellbrook 0
D4R14: Van Wert 29, Perkins 22
D4R14: West Holmes 56, St Marys Memorial 21

WBL Week 13 Games (Regional Semifinals)
D3R12: #4 Wapakoneta (11-1) vs. #1 Badin (12-0)
D4R14: #6 Van Wert (11-1) vs. #2 West Holmes (12-0)

Great awareness by the player who returned it for a TD, running along the goal line to let the clock run out before scoring a glorious touchdown.

Chalk up two more zero-point drives inside the opponents' 5 yard line for Defiance. Just unreal. It's not even always getting outplayed at the line either; effing dumb penalties and/or a sack just push them back. Mansfield clearly has better line play but TDs on those two drives puts Defiance right there in a 16-0 loss. Yet again the defense played well enough to win, giving up only 264 yards. 80 penalty yards to Mansfield's 40 yards hurt as well. Yes, it was the best Defiance season out of the last 14, but self-inflicted stuff in numerous games is frustrating. Next season should be interesting. Not sure how the WBL will be, there are only like 7 seniors that were major contributors to the team, but most of them played both ways so Defiance will still have to replace more than half of the total starting spots.
First and goal on the 2 yd. line and running a slow developing horizontal play for a 3yd. loss instead in running a quick vertical play. After 3 sacks ended up on the 30 yd. line losing 28 yds. in 4 plays. Defiance's O LIne got dominated the whole game. The QB had a not so good game. The D played OK. Lots to build on for next year. On offense the line has to get better, the QB has to be able run the ball some, and need to find receivers who are able to get open and catch the ball.

Apparently it was a historic night for Wapak football.

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.50.51 AM.png

Want to thank this Defiance team, especially the seniors, for bringing Defiance football back to a winning program! I predict they will win the WBL next season! Yep, I said it! The group they have coming back is special! They are going to be very good! The feeling around Defiance when the football team wins is just different than when any other sport wins! Already can't wait till next year! Go Bulldogs! #beatnapolean

I took in the VW and Perkins game yesterday. It was a great game from two talented teams Both offenses were sluggish by their own standards but delivered at the end of the game. Perkins scored with about 5 min to go up 7 but VW responded with their own TD drive in about 2 minutes. They went for two to go up by 1 and forced Perkins to drive down the field and kick the potential game winner that was eventually blocked. Was a great high school game with two evenly matched teams.

Want to thank this Defiance team, especially the seniors, for bringing Defiance football back to a winning program! I predict they will win the WBL next season! Yep, I said it! The group they have coming back is special! They are going to be very good! The feeling around Defiance when the football team wins is just different than when any other sport wins! Already can't wait till next year! Go Bulldogs! #beatnapolean

Would love to see some fresh blood competing for a WBL title next season! It’s been a minute since Defiance has been competing and I’ve always felt like they’re a school that has the talent to compete

After reading the game story it sounds like Van Wert might be a little fortunate to have won, being out-gained by almost 200 yards I think. I was going to predict W. Holmes to win somewhat easily but then again, if Van Wert can minimize its mistakes, maybe it can be right there - St. Marys put up some yards against W. Holmes but just couldn't finish off some drives, maybe, and had a crapton of penalties.

Agree they'll be in the running at least! The red zone execution is what worries me the most, but that's a fixable problem.

Commisso and Phillips will be the toughest to replace, and I would have loved to see the offense with a full year of Nichols. But it's exciting knowing that MOST of the names we heard on a play by play basis all season will be back, and some of them even for 2 years.

Wapak will be tough to beat again, the likes of VW and SM just know how to win. Not sure what Celina has coming back, and I'm not sure if an Elida or Shawnee could take the next step. But I see no reason we can't conservatively go into next season at least thinking top 3, and considering score wise only one game this year was a true blowout, there's no reason these kids should be intimidated by the big boys. They proved they can hang with anyone. Now it's time to put in the work and take that next step!

I love the enthusiasm! Not sure I share it as far as league title goes just yet, but I'd be disappointed if 2023 wasn't a 7 or 8 win season which puts them in the discussion.

Friday’s Div. III Regional Semifinal between Wapakoneta and Hamilton Badin will be played at Trotwood-Madison Stadium, per
@RAMSSPORTS