Week 13: Division III Region 9 Semifinal #3 Ursuline Fighting Irish (10-2) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Is Canfield going to get a chance to avenge their loss to Chardon last year or will the Irish get a

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is only 15 miles to Niles for Canfield but it will take 45 minutes plus due to all the traffic and lights on 46.
For Ursuline it is only like 10 miles but only 15 minutes as there are several options that avoid most of the lights/traffic.
My goodness if it takes you 45 minutes to get from Canfield to Niles, I would hate to be behind you driving.

Last edited:
My goodness if takes you 45 minutes to get from Canfield to Niles, I would hate to be behind you driving.
Ya I live in Canfield, off of 224 past the HS, Niles is 12 miles 20-25 mins. Depending where you live it may be a little closer or further and there are alternative routes.
Boardman HS from my house is 7 miles 15-20 mins, this is very feasible and shouldn’t be an issue for anyone. Hell you can get on the bike trail in Canfield and ride there in 45 mins.

My goodness if takes you 45 minutes to get from Canfield to Niles, I would hate to be behind you driving.
I drive a company vehicle and I cannot drive over the posted limit, it also records sudden stops and stuff like that. If you don't drive very cautiously you get a phone call from HR and the safety guy. And the times I quoted is for anticipated traffic next Friday night.

Ya I live in Canfield, off of 224 past the HS, Niles is 12 miles 20-25 mins. Depending where you live it may be a little closer or further and there are alternative routes.
Boardman HS from my house is 7 miles 15-20 mins, this is very feasible and shouldn’t be an issue for anyone. Hell you can get on the bike trail in Canfield and ride there in 45 mins.
Boardman's and Austintown's stadiums are both 10 minutes or less for me usually. Big difference from the 45 minutes it takes me to get to Niles, and I have driven to the area many times. Maybe if you drive 5 or 10 over you can get there quicker, I seem to catch every light on 46 when I stay under the speed limit.

Mooney-South Range will very likely be played at Boardman.

Poland will not host this week, so that's out.

Niles MAY be an option just because so few area schools are interested in dealing with the current-day hassles of hosting games with little benefit.. Otherwise I'd be surprised if this game was taken out of Mahoning County (or Salem).

Don't be totally surprised if Niles gets Jefferson-Canton South

For those who suggest that Bo Rein Stadium isn't a large enough venue, I would just say that area fans tend to overestimate (by a large number) the expected attendance for playoff games involving area schools. This isn't the 1970s. A very good playoff crowd involving an area parochial school vs a mid-size school is 5,000 to 6,000. That's just the reality of present-day high school football in the Mahoning Valley. SO MANY TIMES I hear, "Oh, this matchup involving ........ is going to be standing room only, it's going to be well over 10,000 fans..." and the reality is maybe 4,000 or so. IF this game is at Bo Rein (again, I don't think it will be) the Ursuline fan base would fill a little less than half of the visiting side, Canfield fan base would fill approx. three-fourths of the home side. That leaves PLENTY of seating for the "casual fans," who in all honesty rarely show up for local-versus-local matchups. A subpar weather night and the stadium would be half filled at best.

Has Poland ever hosted a neutral site game? Also I think Salem may be an option for JFK/Southern
Yes Poland has hosted I think 2 or 3 times before. Canfield hosted in the early to mid 2000s a few times when all the fields were muddy and tore up and the only other artificial fields in the area to choose from were WGH and YSU.

I drive a company vehicle and I cannot drive over the posted limit, it also records sudden stops and stuff like that. If you don't drive very cautiously you get a phone call from HR and the safety guy. And the times I quoted is for anticipated traffic next Friday night.
That is crazy. I would be having my own second car to drive, for my own time. I wouldn't put up with that BS.

Niles MAY be an option just because so few area schools are interested in dealing with the current-day hassles of hosting games with little benefit.. Otherwise I'd be surprised if this game was taken out of Mahoning County (or Salem).
Don't be totally surprised if Niles gets Jefferson-Canton South
For those who suggest that Bo Rein Stadium isn't a large enough venue, I would just say that area fans tend to overestimate (by a large number) the expected attendance for playoff games involving area schools. This isn't the 1970s. A very good playoff crowd involving an area parochial school vs a mid-size school is 5,000 to 6,000. That's just the reality of present-day high school football in the Mahoning Valley. SO MANY TIMES I hear, "Oh, this matchup involving ........ is going to be standing room only, it's going to be well over 10,000 fans..." and the reality is maybe 4,000 or so. IF this game is at Bo Rein (again, I don't think it will be) the Ursuline fan base would fill a little less than half of the visiting side, Canfield fan base would fill approx. three-fourths of the home side. That leaves PLENTY of seating for the "casual fans," who in all honesty rarely show up for local-versus-local matchups. A subpar weather night and the stadium would be half filled at best.
The Canfield game had the home stands pretty darn full and there were also a bunch of guys standing. I would guess that between Canfield and neutral fans there were almost 3000 last night.
But I can guarantee you the crowd would be the biggest if it was at Boardman or Austintown, you put it in Niles and you probably don't draw hardly any "local fans."

The Canfield game had the home stands pretty darn full and there were also a bunch of guys standing. I would guess that between Canfield and neutral fans there were almost 3000 last night.
But I can guarantee you the crowd would be the biggest if it was at Boardman or Austintown, you put it in Niles and you probably don't draw hardly any "local fans."
Well yeah, Canfield fans would have to fly to the game.

Good point! My one friend has a hanger on 46 actually haha
And my friend from Dover has a two seater airplane as well.
There you go, you won't have to drive that company car, and have HR on your back, for making one driving mistake

Boardman's and Austintown's stadiums are both 10 minutes or less for me usually. Big difference from the 45 minutes it takes me to get to Niles, and I have driven to the area many times. Maybe if you drive 5 or 10 over you can get there quicker, I seem to catch every light on 46 when I stay under the speed limit.
Ya, avoid 46, go 11, or Turner to Silica and come out down past mineral ridge HS. It won’t take you more than 25 mins.

Ya, avoid 46, go 11, or Turner to Silica and come out down past mineral ridge HS. It won’t take you more than 25 mins.
I have to go on 46 to get to 11. It is hard for me to turn onto 46 on Friday around 5-6 PM, it gets ridiculous sometimes, the traffic is terrible. It is especially hard to pull out since my company is so strict with their rules. I have a personal vehicle but it is in Florida, thus I use my company vehicle.

If the game was at Boardman, Austintown or anywhere closer than those venues I would go, but anywhere further is not feasible because of my work situation.
Niles is an ok venue, not terrible, but I think Boardman would have been the best option. If Boardman hosts South Range vs Mooney I will not be happy.
Why would you not be happy if those 2 played there? Boardman is literally half way between Canfield and the south side.that mentality is the reason people do not like Canfield. You think you always get the best. Niles is a better venue compared to Boardman if we’re being honest

People are ridiculous thinking this game will get 9k fans there. No shot that happens
I agree with your statement. Last year in the playoffs when Chardon played Canfield at GIRARD, Canfield barely filled a small visitors side, and Chardon brought more fans even though they had an hour longer drive than Canfield. There will be plenty of empty seats at either of the 3 venues mentioned.

If the game was at Boardman, Austintown or anywhere closer than those venues I would go, but anywhere further is not feasible because of my work situation.
Niles is an ok venue, not terrible, but I think Boardman would have been the best option. If Boardman hosts South Range vs Mooney I will not be happy.
Hey, Rand McNally,

I can only speak for myself, but I don't want to live anymore if you are not happy! :)

I agree with your statement. Last year in the playoffs when Chardon played Canfield at GIRARD, Canfield barely filled a small visitors side, and Chardon brought more fans even though they had an hour longer drive than Canfield. There will be plenty of empty seats at either of the 3 venues mentioned.
You just proved my point actually, if the game is more than 10-15 minutes away, you will almost always get less fans, at least as it pertains to Canfield fans. For whatever reason a lot of people at the game on Friday were saying they would only go next week if it was really close or at a few specific venues and otherwise wouldn't go.
And that is the reason that last year hardly anyone went to Girard. All I know is the other night against Aurora the home side was full. And you could expect that at Boardman or Austintown or anywhere as close or closer, anywhere else forget about it, there will not be a big crowd from Canfield. That is just what it is.

Why would you not be happy if those 2 played there? Boardman is literally half way between Canfield and the south side.that mentality is the reason people do not like Canfield. You think you always get the best. Niles is a better venue compared to Boardman if we’re being honest
If Canfield wasn't also playing, I would not have any issue, but they are and that is the only venue available where Canfield would bring 3,000 fans or so, anywhere else and I know there will be about half that or less. I would rather they play in front of 6,000+ fans than only 3,000, it makes for a better atmosphere.
What venue is the closest to halfway between Canfield and Ursuline that seats 5,000 or more?

I am looking at a map and the only two stadiums that are roughly halfway between the schools are Fitch and Boardman, and Fitch is not available apparently.

If Simkon keeps chewing at this issue, Ursuline might just say to hell with it, we will play you in your own stadium so you have enough fans there to witness the beating.

How long does it take him to drive from his house to the Cardinals stadium though? That is the question.

If Canfield wasn't also playing, I would not have any issue, but they are and that is the only venue available where Canfield would bring 3,000 fans or so, anywhere else and I know there will be about half that or less. I would rather they play in front of 6,000+ fans than only 3,000, it makes for a better atmosphere.
What venue is the closest to halfway between Canfield and Ursuline that seats 5,000 or more?

I am looking at a map and the only two stadiums that are roughly halfway between the schools are Fitch and Boardman, and Fitch is not available apparently.
South ranges whole entire town will show up for them, that won’t be the case for Canfield.