Your Favorite Movies

On Golden Pond...relationship between father and daughter as age is taking its toll on her father. Henry Fonda at his best.

Casablanca (1942)
The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Great Escape (1963)
Singing In The Rain (1952)
and no Humphrey Bogart!
No Humphrey Bogart? Sacrilege! And was sure I saw The Quiet Man earlier, which is an excellent choice.

Shoot, I might have filled a Top 10 with just my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies. :cool: But I'll stick to the TCM classics that I've only begun to appreciate in the last 20 years.

10- The 39 Steps
9- D.O.A.
8- Tea For Two
7- Easter Parade
6- How Green Was My Valley
5- The Day The Earth Stood Still
4- The Caine Mutiny
3- Laura
2- The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

And of course:
1- White Christmas

In no particular order:
  • Alien
  • Thank You For Smoking
  • Interstellar
  • Bulworth
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • Children of Men
  • The Social Network
  • Training Day

No Humphrey Bogart?
I got my Bogie on with Casablanca. African Queen (1951) and Maltese Falcon (1941) are two of my favorites which just missed being on my list. What is most striking on my list is the absence of Spenser Tracy, although Boys Town (1938) and Inherit the Wind (1960) are two of my favorites which did not make the list.

I got my Bogie on with Casablanca. African Queen (1951) and Maltese Falcon (1941) are two of my favorites which just missed being on my list. What is most striking on my list is the absence of Spenser Tracy, although Boys Town (1938) and Inherit the Wind (1960) are two of my favorites which did not make the list.

I need to check out Maltese Falcon sometime. I think it's something I'd like.

It's currently on HBO Max.

Top 10 that came out before I was born:

It Happened One Night

Casablanca

It’s a Wonderful Life

Imitation of Life

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

The Major and the Minor

No Time for Sergeants

Sergeant York

In the Heat of the Night

Winchester 73

Top 10 that came out since I was born:

Die Hard

Tombstone

The Five Heartbeats

Smokey and the Bandit

We Were Soldiers

Glory

Braveheart

Hoop Dreams

Menace II Society

Set It Off

Captain America: Civil War

Yeah I snuck 11 in there :)

64. What does age matter? My 33 year old son set out to watch every "best picture" nominated film from the first year, 1929, to the present. So, if you like film you will find good films in every decade.
The way you posted your reply you said you have been watching movies since 1902.
I have seen thousands of films, dating from the 1902 to the present
oscar wilde GIF by Maudit

I am getting a chuckle out of this thread. With this bunch of degenerates Debby does Dallas and DeepThroat would be the top of their list and get the most air play. ;) None of them are as sophisticated as I am.
clown GIF by Team Coco
I ruled them out and went with Sex in Cinema for variety. I'm expecting a long stay and don't want the local wildlife getting too attactive, particularly after I get the still going.

Hmm surprisingly, HBO Max has the extended editions on their streamer for free right now. I think Prime Video does as well but can't tell for sure since I own the digital copies and have them linked to my Prime Video subscription. Prime Video definitely has them available, just not certain if they are free as part of your subscription.
Prime Video is saying the original LOTR movies are free, but you have to pay for the extended versions.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I debated between this and Bringing Up Baby,
Man, I was thinking the same thing. You and I have so much in common, and, when we disagree on politics, I still respect where you are coming from. We need to meet up some day and have a beer or two.

No Humphrey Bogart? Sacrilege! And was sure I saw The Quiet Man earlier, which is an excellent choice.
I had a much longer list with The Quiet Man but forced myself to whittle it down to 11.

My favorite movies with Bogart are Key Largo and The Treasure of Sierra Madre. They would both make my top 30-35, but not my top 10.

My top four,

The Sound of Music,
Wizard of Oz,
Oklahoma,
Paint Your Wagon.
Three of four I've never seen. Paint Your Wagon I've had bookmarked for years and just never got to. Oz I've seen. West Side Story I've seen. I leaned the way I did because of the comedy and dancing aspects in addition to solid music.

Whoa there Hub. I appreciate the lovey eye emoji but, while I like you, I don't "like, like you". But, if you make it to the Queen City, let me know and we can get those beers. My middle daughter went to Akron for only one semester so I don't get up your way too much any more. If I do, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Whoa there Hub. I appreciate the lovey eye emoji but, while I like you, I don't "like, like you". But, if you make it to the Queen City, let me know and we can get those beers. My middle daughter went to Akron for only one semester so I don't get up your wat too much any more. If I do, I'll let you know.

You stay away from his wat.