Federal League 2022

Who will win the Federal League in 2022?

• GlenOak Golden Eagles

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Green Bulldogs

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Hoover Vikings

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Jackson Polar Bears

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Lake Blue Streaks

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • McKinley Bulldogs

Votes: 61 40.9%
  • Perry Panthers

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters
Hey guys...for those of us who follow the group conversation of every Fed school can you please discuss the situation of the Perry/Massillon in the Mass/Perry game thread. I am not trying to deflect that issue and what happened....but am interested in the conversations of McKinley vs Mentor, Hoover vs South, Jackson vs St Eds and Lake vs DeSales and the info is easier to follow on here.

Thanks
I appreciate your comments and will adhere to your request after this message.

I hesitated bringing up the Perry/Massillon situation here but felt it was necessary to voice an opinion from someone other than a Massillon fan. I would have loved to have used the game thread to state my opinion (there were ugly things being done by BOTH teams) but I was unable to. Oftentimes, as was the case here, I was disallowed from posting on the game thread. It seems as though the Tigers posters hold enough weight over the powers that be to convince them that I can't post on certain threads. I merely wanted to make this one-sided rant leading to Perry "getting a black eye locally and nationally" be looked at more fairly.

Go FED!

My Friday night calls:

Jackson @ St. Edward
- Don’t see another way on this one. The Ecrement kid is going to be a great QB in the coming years.

Hoover @ Westerville South
- If they don’t turn the ball over, Hoover win this game. Dyrlund, Roach, Ashby & Braucher are a force and their defense is killing it. McKelly & Sullivan are difference makers!

Col. St. Francis DeSales @ Lake
- Went back and forth here. That Dover team is good and DeSales handled them twice in multi O/T games. Should be a great game, but Butler & Sollberger will be too much for DeSales to handle!

McKinley @ Mentor
- If Hill is healthy McKinley comes in and steals this one. The Rode kid has thrown the ball well the last 3 games and creates a new factor to take attention off of Hill. Hopefully Cynceir is back. That would be huge for the Bulldogs!

McK will have top play error-free football and they have to get the ball to Sinceir if possible. I think McK has the athletes to match Mentor's skill players but Mentor has been an excellent program for years. That stability and consistency with young kids growing up within the system comes out on Friday nights.

Jackson is going to lose and they're probably going to lose big. But this is a golden opportunity to get a talented freshman QB on an okay but not great squad the best possible experience out there. Same for the defensive unit and really the team as a whole.

This is my favorite type of game. No one expects you to win, so even if you keep it close it's basically a W. As long as it remains injury free. And if by some miracle you DO win, then you've got a program defining victory for years to come.

Go Bears.

Correct Impractical.

Before the playoffs started I predicted that Lake & Massillon were the top 2 (seems fairly obvious), but DeSales was next in line for who I thought would give us the most trouble, imo. Good D, coaching, pedigree.

Jackson is going to lose and they're probably going to lose big. But this is a golden opportunity to get a talented freshman QB on an okay but not great squad the best possible experience out there. Same for the defensive unit and really the team as a whole.

This is my favorite type of game. No one expects you to win, so even if you keep it close it's basically a W. As long as it remains injury free. And if by some miracle you DO win, then you've got a program defining victory for years to come.

Go Bears.
If the Jackson players and coaches believe that they can compete in this game, they most likely will. If they don't, then running clock by halftime.

The key for Jackson is to take it one play at a time and have short memories. Eds is going to make some crazy plays because of their talent, but if the Bears fight for the whole 48 minutes and get a few breaks to bounce their way, the Eagles will have to work for it. Weird things can happen in the final minutes of playoff games. 2 years ago a 4-3 Medina team knocked off #1 seed Eds on the road 35-31.

Go Bears

Back in 17, when the Panthers moved up to D-1 and had to play a very talented Ignatius team, who were first in the region. Perry hung in there into late in the third quarter only down 14-7. Iggy tacked on a FG early in the fourth to make it 17-7 and then a TD with just under 5 minutes left to make the final 24-7. Iggy would lose a close game to Mentor two weeks later.
No reason the Bears can’t play hard, give great effort and see what happens.

Last edited:
Back in 17, when the Panthers moved up to D-1 and had to play a very talented Ignatius team, who were first in the region. Perry hung in there into late in the third quarter only down 14-7. Iggy tacked on a FG early in the fourth to make it 17-7 and then a TD with just under 5 minutes left to make the final 24-7. Iggy would lose a close game to Mentor two weeks later.
That's exactly the game I was thinking of when I thought of the kind of performance I hope Jackson can put forward.

My Friday night calls:

Jackson @ St. Edward
- Don’t see another way on this one. The Ecrement kid is going to be a great QB in the coming years.

Hoover @ Westerville South
- If they don’t turn the ball over, Hoover win this game. Dyrlund, Roach, Ashby & Braucher are a force and their defense is killing it. McKelly & Sullivan are difference makers!

Col. St. Francis DeSales @ Lake
- Went back and forth here. That Dover team is good and DeSales handled them twice in multi O/T games. Should be a great game, but Butler & Sollberger will be too much for DeSales to handle!

McKinley @ Mentor
- If Hill is healthy McKinley comes in and steals this one. The Rode kid has thrown the ball well the last 3 games and creates a new factor to take attention off of Hill. Hopefully Cynceir is back. That would be huge for the Bulldogs!
Despite the blowout win, Hoover did not play a very clean game against Licking Heights. If Hoover plays the same way on defense and limits turnovers offensively, I see no reason why this Viking squad can't win. They've defied the odds all season, why expect different now?

Despite the blowout win, Hoover did not play a very clean game against Licking Heights. If Hoover plays the same way on defense and limits turnovers offensively, I see no reason why this Viking squad can't win. They've defied the odds all season, why expect different now?
I’m with you. I incorrectly put Westerville South in bold. If NC plays a clean game I think they take this one by a couple scores. They are not the same team that played awful at Mansfield and McKinley. It would be fun to see a Lake-Hoover matchup next week.

Game previews from The Repository.

Greater Canton's high school football games to watch in OHSAA playoff regional quarterfinals​

Cliff HickmanMike PopovichSteve DoerschukPeter Holland Jr.
The Repository

Division I, Region 1​

No. 6 McKinley (6-5) at No. 3 Mentor (7-3)​

What to know: It's Round 2 in Mentor. McKinley gets a second chance against the Cardinals after losing to them in Week 1, 34-21. That was part of an 0-4 start by the Bulldogs, who have played good football since, winning five of six, including a 40-22 victory over GlenOak in the first round of the playoffs. Cynceir McNeal sat out Friday's win due to an ankle injury and Nino Hill, a 1,000-yard rusher, only played in the first half. Antonio Hall expects both to be a full-go when the Pups return to Mentor. The Cardinals finished the regular season at 6-3 and are 5-1 at home. Mentor is coming off a playoff win over Brunswick, 35-14. Mentor's top player is Brenan Vernon, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound defensive end who will be Notre Dame bound after he graduates. McKinley's offensive line was able to contain Vernon in their last meeting, limiting him to one tackle. Mentor is also led by sophomore QB Scotty Fox, who has 24 touchdowns this season. The winner will move on to the regional semifinals and will play the winner of the Medina-Wadsworth game.
Nino Hill of McKinley runs for a touchdown behind the block of Kaelub Edwards, 75, during their game against Jackson at McKinley on Friday, Oct. 7, 2022.

Division I, Region 1​

No. 8 Jackson (6-5) at No. 1 St. Edward (10-1)​

What to know: The Polar Bears are in a David vs. Goliath matchup. St. Ed's, the defending state champ, is loaded with top-tier talent led by head coach Tom Lombardo, who picked up his 175th career win after beating Stow in the first round. Massillon gave the Eagles their only loss of the season. Since then, the Eagles have won six straight, including beating St. Ignatius, Moeller and Hoban. The Polar Bears are coming off a 28-24 win over Berea-Midpark in last week's first round. Jackson is defined by its grit on both sides of the ball. Jackson's top rusher, Jason Davide, and the Colten Arnold-led offensive line will be a matchup to watch against St. Edward's defense. Jackson is all in on its freshman QB Lucas Ecrement, but also will use Ethan Lesco in short-yardage packages. St. Ed's offensive and defensive fronts feature talented sophomore twins Deontae and Devontae Armstrong and junior tackle Ben Roebuck, a four-star offensive tackle. Michael Kilbane, a Northwestern commit, is disruptive at the edge rusher spot for the Eagles. The winner will face the winner of the Cleveland Heights-St. Ignatius game next week in the regional semifinals.
Jackson quarterback Lucas Ecrement escapes the reach of Hoover’s Weston Reisinger  on Friday, Oct. 21, 2022.

Division II, Region 7​

No. 7 Col. DeSales (6-4) at No. 2 Lake (10-1)​

What to know: Lake head coach Dan DeGeorge foresees "a big test" against "probably the best defense we've seen." DeSales relies on a blitzing 3-4 scheme under 16th-year head coach Ryan Wiggins. DeSales is the first opponent with a winning record at the time it played Lake since the Blue Streaks hammered Hoover 35-15 on Oct. 7. Lake draws a Franklin County opponent for the second straight week after beating Dublin Scioto 33-17 last Friday. The Streaks relied on an old-school formula against Scioto, running 46 times and passing eight times. Matthew Sollberger ran 29 times for 129 yards. "It'll be tough sledding, but we have to find a way to make plays against a very tough run defense," DeGeorge said. DeSales is known for deep playoff runs. The 2022 Stallions ground out a 23-16 overtime win at Dover Sept. 30, then beat Dover 21-20 in OT in the playoffs this past Friday. Their only loss during a 5-1 hot streak was 14-12 to Columbus Watterson (now 10-1). The glitch in DeSales' season was a 49-7 home loss to Walsh Jesuit on Sep. 16. Coach Wiggins piloted the Stallions to the Division III state finals in 2020, when they fell 31-28 in double overtime to Chardon. DeSales moved up to Division II this year. The Stallions haven't faced a team from Stark County since 2008, when, in the third round of the playoffs, they outlasted previously unbeaten Louisville 38-21.
Lake’s Matthew Sollberger makes a cut in front of Hoover’s Cooper Westfall on Friday, Oct. 7, 2022.

Division II, Region 7​

No. 6 Hoover (10-3) at No. 3 Westerville South (10-1)​

What to know: Hoover hasn't won multiple playoff games since the 2008 Vikings, competing in Division I, beat Massillon, Twinsburg and GlenOak. The 2022 Vikings are on a three-game win streak since losing 35-15 to Lake. "Our guys want to continue playing football with their buddies," Hoover head coach Brian Baum said. "They're really enjoying themselves. That's the neat part about it." In their 38-7 playoff win over Licking Heights this past Friday, Vikings RB Luke Roach returned from injury and ran 23 times for 158 yards. Westerville South has scored at least 30 points in eight games. "They don't have a lot of size," Baum said, "but they have a lot of athletes who play aggressive, physical football." Sixth-year South head coach Matt Christ is 25-5 across the last three seasons. The Wildcats need no introduction to the Federal League after beating Lake 32-10 in the first round of last year's playoffs. South's signature 2022 win was 31-24 over Big Walnut (currently 9-2) on Sept. 16. RBs Nasir Phillips (147 yards) and Ethan Hanna (130) both had huge games against Big Walnut. The Wildcats closed their regular season and opened their postseason against Worthington Kilbourne, winning 42-7 and 34-7. Hoover beat Kilbourne 17-0 in the first round of last year's playoffs. Almost two months have passed since South's lone loss, 31-14 at Hilliard Darby.

Player Spotlights from The Repository

Will Butler, Lake, QB-DB, senior​

A two-way impact player for the Blue Streaks, helping them win a share of the Federal League title and take a 10-1 record into this week. Smart and physical, the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Butler has helped put an already talented Lake team over the top since transferring from Mogadore. He splits time at quarterback with junior Cale Jarvis and starts at safety. In last week's 33-17 win over Dublin Scioto, Butler threw a 31-yard TD pass to Nate Baker and scored on a 7-yard run. He ran for 59 yards on eight carries and made a tackle for loss among his four total tackles in the win.

Jason Davide, Jackson, RB, senior​

Jackson’s Jason Davide (24) looks at a hole between Reagan Malloy (1) and Clayton Harper (72) during their game against Akron East on Friday, August 19, 2022.

Davide has been a workhorse on the backfield for Jackson. Last week, Davide rushed for 149 yards in 31 carries. He is 5 yards shy of hitting the 1,500-yard mark for the season and leads the Federal League in rushing. The 5-10, 180-pound Davide is a bruiser who helps the Polar Bears move the chains. He is important when it comes to clock management and taking the heat off their freshman quarterback Lucas Ecrement. Davide and Jackson's veteran offensive line will be challenged to the max against top-seeded St. Edward and its premier defense.

Carson Dyrlund, North Canton Hoover, QB, junior​

Hoover quarterback Carson Dyrlund rushes for a  touchdown against Louisville on Friday, Sept. 9, 2022.

Thrust into the starting role on the eve of the 2021 season, Dyrlund played his role well enough to help the Vikings roll to a Federal League title a year ago. This year, he’s expanded his role quite bit, becoming a difference-maker in Hoover’s run-pass option attack. He finished the regular season third in the Federal League in passing yards (1,307) by completing 61.8% of his 170 attempts, with 12 TDs and just two interceptions. He also ranked seven in the league in rushing (709 yards with eight TDs on 122 carries), just behind teammate Luke Roach (712 yards).

Dante McClellan, McKinley, WR-OLB, sophomore​

Dante McClellan of McKinley runs into the open field during their game against Dublin Coffman at McKinley on Friday, Sept. 2, 2022.

McClellan is a matchup nightmare on both sides of the field, making him McKinley's Swiss Army knife heading into its rematch with Mentor. The 6-2, 190-pound sophomore makes plays for the Bulldogs all over the field on both sides of the ball. McClellan leads the Bulldogs in the turnover category, including four picks, and has scored two defensive touchdowns this season. On offense, he's emerged as an option for QB Keaton Rode, and he's even taken snaps at quarterback for the Pups.

No one in the fed except mckinley gives a rats behind about Massillon.
Current version of McK doesn't care as much as it once did and they shouldn't. A lot has changed since the 90s. Like winning the Fed League.

On to Week 12. Can lake advance? Yes. Can McK advance? Maybe. Can Hoover advance? I say yes. Jackson? Nope.

Last edited:
Current version of McK doesn't care as much as it once did and they shouldn't. A lot has changed since the 90s. Like winning the Fed League.

O
Whether McKinley wins or loses to Massillon it should ALWAYS matter a lot. The players understanding the history of Canton McKinley is extremely important and a major part of that is Massillon and vice-versa for Massillon. It has been the most important rivalry in the country and should continue to strive to be so. And this isn’t a dump on the Fed but McKinley-Massillon should always mean more.

If McKinley stops caring about history then McKinley will become irrelevant.

Whether McKinley wins or loses to Massillon it should ALWAYS matter a lot. The players understanding the history of Canton McKinley is extremely important and a major part of that is Massillon and vice-versa for Massillon. It has been the most important rivalry in the country and should continue to strive to be so. And this isn’t a dump on the Fed but McKinley-Massillon should always mean more.

If McKinley stops caring about history then McKinley will become irrelevant.
Very well said!! Completely agree! The "Massillon game" should mean everything to Canton McKinley!