Streaming Services

I cut: Netflix, Hulu, and Peacock, which saved close to $60/month. I kept HBO Max and I have AMZN Prime, but that's for the shipping, not the streaming service.

The latest development in the streaming world is that Dish and Sling are now in a p!$$!ng contest with Disney which has resulted in the end of their contract and no Disney owned channels, INCLUDING EPSN, being on Sling or Dish. I'm suspending my Sling account until it comes back. Of course, we received no notice of this and it happens on a college football Saturday!

The latest development in the streaming world is that Dish and Sling are now in a p!$$!ng contest with Disney which has resulted in the end of their contract and no Disney owned channels, INCLUDING EPSN, being on Sling or Dish. I'm suspending my Sling account until it comes back. Of course, we received no notice of this and it happens on a college football Saturday!

The same thing happened with YoutubeTV awhile back. YoutubeTV told us that they would cut our bill by 40% a month until it was resolved. Youtube (legally or illegally) had all the College Football games on regular Youtube so you did not miss the games. A few days later all the channels were back but YoutubeTV stated we would still get our 40% discount.

I feel that YoutubeTV actually cares about their current customers unlike others (Spectrum) I have had in the past.

The deals should continue.... Picked up Peacock Premium for $1.99 a month. I wanted to see Black Phone so that was worth it right off the bat. They also have a ton of horror movies on there and other than a 30 second add before the movie starts there are NO ADDS once the movie start!!!!!!

My disney+ special is about to end but frankly there is nothing really on there that interests me anyhow......

The same thing happened with YoutubeTV awhile back. YoutubeTV told us that they would cut our bill by 40% a month until it was resolved. Youtube (legally or illegally) had all the College Football games on regular Youtube so you did not miss the games. A few days later all the channels were back but YoutubeTV stated we would still get our 40% discount.

I feel that YoutubeTV actually cares about their current customers unlike others (Spectrum) I have had in the past.
I loved YouTube TV. Unfortunately, it just became too pricey.

Huge get for Disney+ as they've made a deal with BBC to be the exclusive future home for new Doctor Who seasons going forward.
Will they have all BBC content then? Never got Doctor Who but there is a lot of stuff on BBC I wouldn't mind checking out. Especially if they have some of their news stuff as to me it is the most unbiased source for world and sometimes US news.

Will they have all BBC content then? Never got Doctor Who but there is a lot of stuff on BBC I wouldn't mind checking out. Especially if they have some of their news stuff as to me it is the most unbiased source for world and sometimes US news.

Seems like it's just future seasons of Doctor Who for now. No other BBC stuff as of now nor, past seasons of Doctor Who.

I'd love to see Disney+ get a hold of Sherlock (which recently left Netflix) and Orphan Black.

It wouldn't shock me either. Your main players going forward are going to be:

Disney+/Hulu (many expect Hulu to fold into Disney+ as Disney is the majority owner)
Peacock
HBO Max
AppleTV
Netflix
Paramount+

Everyone else is going to start licensing their content to those 6 because they know they won't be able to survive alone.

You saw it already with Showtime joining Paramount+, and now BBC partnering with Disney+. It's also why Disney bought Fox's TV and Movie divisions.

The arms race is to buy as much content to have available on your streaming service as possible.

Last edited:
I have Cox for internet supplier for $80/mo and YouTubeTv for $70/mo. I use to be able to watch YouTubeTv from different locations but the past month or two, now it says outside your primary viewing area, we'll record the program for you. That sucks! That's why I dropped Hulu!

I have Cox for internet supplier for $80/mo and YouTubeTv for $70/mo. I use to be able to watch YouTubeTv from different locations but the past month or two, now it says outside your primary viewing area, we'll record the program for you. That sucks! That's why I dropped Hulu!

I was out of my area this past weekend during the Ohio State game and got a pop up from YouTubeTV about this and all I had to do was click the "I'm traveling" button and they let me watch.

Maybe it was different since it was a sporting event.

Three letters can correct this: VPN. That being said the service can be slow and you have to pay for it. Cutting the cord is not all that and i find it very frustrating at times.

I'd love to see Disney+ get a hold of Sherlock (which recently left Netflix) and Orphan Black.

It wouldn't shock me either. Your main players going forward are going to be:

Disney+/Hulu (many expect Hulu to fold into Disney+ as Disney is the majority owner)
Peacock
HBO Max
AppleTV
Netflix
Paramount+

Everyone else is going to start licensing their content to those 6 because they know they won't be able to survive alone.

You saw it already with Showtime joining Paramount+, and now BBC partnering with Disney+. It's also why Disney bought Fox's TV and Movie divisions.

The arms race is to buy as much content to have available on your streaming service as possible.

7 actually, somehow I forgot Prime Video. And on that note, earlier this year Amazon bought MGM Studios for $8.5B.

Surprisingly, earlier this year Netflix had a chance to by Paramount Studios and passed. I still could see Universal/Peacock buying Paramount at some point. They already have loose deals with each other, particularly when it comes to Universal Studios.

Maybe a dumb question but can you watch a live event on a streaming service?

Paramount+ gets you access to CBS broadcasts of sporting events, including NFL games.

The Disney+ bundle would get you ESPN+ free.

Prime Video broadcasts Thursday night NFL games.

Peacock would get you Sunday Night Football and other NBC broadcast sporting events (ie Notre Dame games).

YoutubeTV is almost like having cable, without the cable. You get ABC, ESPN, NBC, CBS, Fox, NFL Network, MLB Network, etc...

well I take that back

"In 2019, CBS declined to renew its rights to SEC football, with the package ultimately going to the conference's main rightsholder ESPN beginning in 2024. CBS subsequently reached a deal to televise Big Ten football beginning in 2023, which will replace CBS's SEC package in its traditional timeslot beginning 2024."

So ESPN, along with ABC, will be the new home for the SEC.

The Big 10 is moving to CBS. (It also has deals with NBC and Fox)

"It makes sense for the Big Ten to be flexible here, too. This is only for one year, and while it means their ideal Fox (noon)/CBS (afternoon)/NBC (night) setup may not be fully in place in year one of this deal, they’ll still be getting CBS checks, CBS promotion, and CBS games (albeit not in that 3:30 p.m. ET slot). Allowing the network some flexibility to keep their SEC package for its last year will keep CBS happier (and that might even have been part of driving this deal). If this plays out as reported, it will lead to a slightly weird 2023 season for CBS, but that’s better for them than having to get rid of their lucrative SEC package a year early."

"It makes sense for the Big Ten to be flexible here, too. This is only for one year, and while it means their ideal Fox (noon)/CBS (afternoon)/NBC (night) setup may not be fully in place in year one of this deal, they’ll still be getting CBS checks, CBS promotion, and CBS games (albeit not in that 3:30 p.m. ET slot). Allowing the network some flexibility to keep their SEC package for its last year will keep CBS happier (and that might even have been part of driving this deal). If this plays out as reported, it will lead to a slightly weird 2023 season for CBS, but that’s better for them than having to get rid of their lucrative SEC package a year early."
By the way a shortened version of this has been airing during SEC games this fall.

7 actually, somehow I forgot Prime Video. And on that note, earlier this year Amazon bought MGM Studios for $8.5B.

Surprisingly, earlier this year Netflix had a chance to by Paramount Studios and passed. I still could see Universal/Peacock buying Paramount at some point. They already have loose deals with each other, particularly when it comes to Universal Studios.
You’d think Netflix of all companies wouldn’t have made the same mistake that Blockbuster did with Netflix 2ish decades ago. Likely not to the same extent but same issue at hand.