Toledo Area Basketball 21-22

NWOAL:
Tier 1: Patrick Henry, Wauseon, Swanton
Tier 2: Liberty Center, Archbold, Evergreen
Tier 3: Bryan, Delta

PH is still somehow a young team but a lot of experience, Wauseon will have a very solid starting five-not sure about their depth, Swanton lost two of their top players but has a ton of seniors and hopefully big man Charlie.
Archbold will have the potential for 3 of the top scorers in the league including the favorite for player of the year in Roth. That is not even counting the sophomore who played well when given the opportunity last year. Depth and size will be their #1 obstacles. I'll be stunned if they finish outside the top 3.

Archbold will have the potential for 3 of the top scorers in the league including the favorite for player of the year in Roth. That is not even counting the sophomore who played well when given the opportunity last year. Depth and size will be their #1 obstacles. I'll be stunned if they finish outside the top 3.
Probably foolish to ever doubt them, I guess I just see a lot of 6'0"ish perimeter guys. The size of Kammeyer, the grit of Bailey and the everything of Newman gone has me questioning things. But if they go with Roth, Sonny, Brenner, Seiler and...Miller or Seigel that is a very athletic group.

Based on last year Stritch should be good in D3.

I believe they only lost 1 part time starter from last year's 18-8 team. Good length and athleticism in the post with Hughes/Hicks and quick shifty guys up top with Burton/Carter/Taylor and a streaky shooter in Yost.

Looks like it could be a rough spell starting next year after a nice 7-8 year run.

What is the Northern Lakes League looking in its final year before expansion?

Perrysburg and Northview still at the top I assume. Could Southview or BG make some noise and knock off Pburg or Nview?

Also, what is the latest on basketball divisions going into the 23-24 season? Last I saw it was:

Bigger:
Whitmer 843/777
Perrysburg 649/629
Findlay 642/551
Anthony Wayne 546/521
Northview 495/488

Smaller:
Clay 424/422
Southview 406/408
Fremont Ross 400/400
Springfield 397/437
Bowling Green 344/330
Napoleon 236/200

The Blade had said basketball would be 5 bigger schools, and 6 smaller schools. But football would be 6 bigger schools and 5 smaller. Had them playing home and homes and then crossover games with each school.

Based on last year Stritch should be good in D3.

I believe they only lost 1 part time starter from last year's 18-8 team. Good length and athleticism in the post with Hughes/Hicks and quick shifty guys up top with Burton/Carter/Taylor and a streaky shooter in Yost.

Looks like it could be a rough spell starting next year after a nice 7-8 year run.
Dropping to D4 this season. Will be a contender for a district championship.

Probably foolish to ever doubt them, I guess I just see a lot of 6'0"ish perimeter guys. The size of Kammeyer, the grit of Bailey and the everything of Newman gone has me questioning things. But if they go with Roth, Sonny, Brenner, Seiler and...Miller or Seigel that is a very athletic group.
They will miss the size of Kammeyer, but they never threw him the ball anyway. Newman will be missed big time obviously.

The NWOAL as a whole will be down this year. Swanton should win it again. I think 2-6 is up for grabs. Not sure the Indians will be a top tier team this year.

The NWOAL as a whole will be down this year. Swanton should win it again. I think 2-6 is up for grabs. Not sure the Indians will be a top tier team this year.
The league will be down but balanced I think. I would put Swanton, PH, and Archbold in the top tier. I'm hoping for more tournament success this year. I know Wauseon had a couple of good tournament wins beating a really good Van Wert team to get to the Districts. I think every other league team was beat in the Sectionals including two pretty big upsets with Archbold and Swanton getting beat.

Swanton brings back the younger Borojevich (unless they've moved/transfered again). What else do they have back?

I like PH as my favorite to win the league. They will have the best player in the league in my opinion in Creager. 2 solid players along side of him with Meyer and Behrman. This could be the Patriots year.

Swanton brings back the younger Borojevich (unless they've moved/transfered again). What else do they have back?

I like PH as my favorite to win the league. They will have the best player in the league in my opinion in Creager. 2 solid players along side of him with Meyer and Behrman. This could be the Patriots year.
Swanton had 3 seniors last year I think. So there should be experience and I am guessing they would like to see their 6'8" sophomore get more varsity time. One starter, Mitchey, was injured against Wauseon in football. Not sure when he'll be back. With Swanton playing at PH this year, I think it would be fair to put the Patriots as the favorite.

I think every other league team was beat in the Sectionals including two pretty big upsets with Archbold and Swanton getting beat.
Liberty Center made a small run coming in as the 8 seed at 9-12 and upsetting the 5 seed and TAAC champs Ottawa Hills and the 6 seed Evergreen before running into Eastwood.

Liberty Center made a small run coming in as the 8 seed at 9-12 and upsetting the 5 seed and TAAC champs Ottawa Hills and the 6 seed Evergreen before running into Eastwood.
I was told that LC is going to be very good in hoops this year. How many of the kids on the football team play basketball also?

I was told that LC is going to be very good in hoops this year. How many of the kids on the football team play basketball also?
9 of the starting 12 on offense, lol. LC has 3 ends they rotate almost every play, one runs the play in to help save the QB's legs.

Who's all returning? They get a move in?

They bring back Hammontree and Kruse. Hammontree averaged 9ppg. Everybody else on last years roster averaged less than 8ppg and 5rpg.

I still don't see them beating PH, Archbold, or Swanton. Maybe they can steal one from Wauseon this year.

9 of the starting 12 on offense, lol. LC has 3 ends they rotate almost every play, one runs the play in to help save the QB's legs.
That's great to hear. I am tired of kids at smaller schools specializing. Get in as many extracurricular activities as you can in high school!

They bring back Hammontree and Kruse. Hammontree averaged 9ppg. Everybody else on last years roster averaged less than 8ppg and 5rpg.

I still don't see them beating PH, Archbold, or Swanton. Maybe they can steal one from Wauseon this year.
Sr Hammontree and Jr Landon Kruse as starters. Other rotational players returning: Seniors-Zeiter, Orr, Chapa. LC routinely rotated 14 guys last year at times so others with varsity experience and played on a JV team with only a few losses: Juniors-Bockelman, Colton Kruse, Trenton Kruse, Navarre, Chambers and a 6'3" sophomore Geahlen.

I was just told LC could be in the mix from a few people at different schools.

I don't think Archbold will be that good this year...no size and the guards are really skinny/frail. This sophomore point guard looks like he could be a 7th grader. He will get bullied every night in the NWOAL.

I think LC can finish in the top 3 from what I am hearing.

I was just told LC could be in the mix from a few people at different schools.

I don't think Archbold will be that good this year...no size and the guards are really skinny/frail. This sophomore point guard looks like he could be a 7th grader. He will get bullied every night in the NWOAL.

I think LC can finish in the top 3 from what I am hearing.
I think we are all saying the same thing. The NWOAL is wide open this year.
Don't underestimate the sophomore. He was thrown in as a freshman at OG and held his own! Archbold will have more perimeter firepower than anyone in the league. Lack of size is a definite concern as they will have a hard time matching up at times. On the flip side, teams will have a hard time matching up with their speed and skill so it goes both ways.
I'm going to make PH the very slight early season favorite.

Unfortunate for the football but fortunate for basketball is that the Indians will most likely be 1 and done in the playoffs and thus will start on time for basketball.

Got to see PH take it to Miller City last night. I like their depth, length and athleticism. Their best player is only a sophomore, Lincoln Creager. Their 6' 5" freshman, Mack Heiber, will continue to see more playing time as the season progresses. They should be a solid NWOAL title contender for the next several years.

Last edited: