Phrases you detest?

From a technical report writing class I took twenty-five moons ago: "exact same" was noted as an unnecessary redundancy. ;)

I understand the intent but, something can be exact or it can be the same. Or, it can be nearly exact or nearly the same.

Simply "exact" or "same" suffices. Stop it! Actually, it's not yet "get off my lawn" annoying - yet, however, give me a few years. lol

Maybe it should be "exactly the same" which is saying not close to or almost but is the same in all ways. I have a son in law that people say we are the same and I must point out the same OK but not exactly the same. We have some small differences if you look close.

From a technical report writing class I took twenty-five moons ago: "exact same" was noted as an unnecessary redundancy. ;)

I understand the intent but, something can be exact or it can be the same. Or, it can be nearly exact or nearly the same.

Simply "exact" or "same" suffices. Stop it! Actually, it's not yet "get off my lawn" annoying - yet, however, give me a few years. lol
I view that the exact same way!

How long ago is 25 moons? Seems like it would be right at 2 years? (25 x 28 = 700)

"Age is just a number." No, it's experience, hopefully more wisdom and knowledge, but definitely more aches and pains.

Last edited:
Living my best life.

Living your best life.

Just find it annoying for some reason.

Similar, one phrase I’m annoyed by is “Rest In Peace”??? I dunno why. I just feel like what happens after I’m dead is not really anybodys business but mine? How would they know if I’m “Resting in peace” or “Resting in Anger?” Or “Resting in happiness” or “Resting in Sadness”???

"I saw it on Google" and "Google it"

It's a basic misunderstanding of what a search engine is. It is an information aggregator. It is not a primary source. It would be akin to saying "I read it at the library."

There’s one big one for me and it’s people starting their statement with “I mean…”. It drives me crazy and it’s everywhere now. My wife picked it up from a friend last year and still does it constantly and because of that now both of my kids do it. I probably hear it 20-25 times a day.

Another is people unnecessarily starting a statement with “I feel like…”. If someone is making a statement, whose feelings are they expressing other than their own? You don’t have to tell me this is how you feel before you say something. You saying it indicates that already, dammit! Grrrr. :)

Last edited:
"Can't win for losing" Nobody has been able to persuade me that this makes one iota of sense, but my mind is still open.

I understand your disdain for that phrase and it’s likely because it’s missing words; causing it to not make sense. I’ve always interpreted it as “I could win if it weren’t for all the losing I’m doing”. Shortened up and rephrased, it becomes “I can’t win for losing”. Some newspaper columnist or sportswriter many decades ago likely coined it trying to be clever. Anytime I hear it, I think of the 80’s country song by Earl Thomas Conley “I Can’t Win for Losing You”. It’s a tearjerker if you’re on the wrong end of a recent breakup.

Last edited:
There’s one big one for me and it’s people starting their statement with “I mean…”. It drives me crazy and it’s everywhere now. My wife picked it up from a friend last year and still does it constantly and because of that now both of my kids do it. I probably hear it 20-25 times a day.

Reminds me, it's the season. If your BP gets low, start at 3:50

. Some newspaper columnist or sportswriter many decades ago likely coined it trying to be clever.
I found this little snippet that reinforces you theory. You can't go wrong with a name like Johnny Dope.

Elephind and Google Books searches dig up examples of the expression going back to the 1920s. The oldest match is from Johnny Dope, "Squints at Sports," in the [Urbana, Illinois] Daily Illini (May 13, 1920):
Out of 21 starts the Detroit Tigers won six games. They can't win for losing