Hubbard at Girard

sportster4321

Hubbard travels to Girard for week 8. Both teams come in at 5-2. Not a lot of faith in Hubbard here. Girard is desperate for a win after dropping their last two. Hubbard is pretty good against the run, but not at all against the pass. On offense I think Hubbard can drive but has shown time and time again they can't finish drives. Penalties play a huge role as well. Hubbard has won the last two meetings and 3 of the last 5.

Usually a little extra emotion between these two. Wins mean a little more. Maybe not officially a rivalry but it's a fun series.
Still a work in progress for the Girard offense this week. They need to figure it out by the Niles game. Between Sims, and the coaching staff, they need to have a set plan. To me it looks like the coaching staff has their mind set on just let Sims throw the ball 18 to 20 times a game for now. That was about the same number of passing plays Bengala was getting a game

Still a work in progress for the Girard offense this week. They need to figure it out by the Niles game. Between Sims, and the coaching staff, they need to have a set plan. To me it looks like the coaching staff has their mind set on just let Sims throw the ball 18 to 20 times a game for now. That was about the same number of passing plays Bengala was getting a game
I’m sure they watched film and seen what worked and what can work going forward

Not what I want to hear, lol. Girard had Poland down 17-7 late when Poland hit the big pass play and stole the momentum. I don’t know that Hubbard can make that kind of play in that moment. I think the Hubbard kids will come to play. But it won’t be enough.

Not what I want to hear, lol. Girard had Poland down 17-7 late when Poland hit the big pass play and stole the momentum. I don’t know that Hubbard can make that kind of play in that moment. I think the Hubbard kids will come to play. But it won’t be enough.
Letting Poland recover that onside kick, was also a killer.

All I can say about this game is... Give Cochran another week to prepare a QB, and he will be much more improved. I should take the Eagles in this one, "BUT"... my gut feeling tells me that Girard will find a way into pulling this one out as the best game of the week. Want Hubbard to win, however I see this one 21-20 Indians.

Wasn't Hubbard's big rival Brookfield back in the day? Of course HHS got passionate about Ursuline, too. St. Patrick's School on E. Water Street was a big feeder school for Ursuline.

Wasn't Hubbard's big rival Brookfield back in the day? Of course HHS got passionate about Ursuline, too. St. Patrick's School on E. Water Street was a big feeder school for Ursuline.
Brookfield was arch rival, especially back in the 40s thru 80s. Teams played 82 times. Eagles lead series 49-31-2.
When Eagles played Ursuline in '69, many of Ursuline players went to St Pats and were from Hubbard. John Karlovic and Mike Olive are two I can think of off hand.

Last edited:
Mike Olive was in the same graduating class as I was and I remember him at Ursuline. When we were freshmen, Hubbard won the SVC title. I have a picture of that 66 Hubbard team and Mike Olive is named in it. Unless there was more than one Mike Olive, or the picture is just wrong, he must have gone to Hubbard as a frosh at least. Top row, 5th from the right.

1664893104109.png

Last edited:
Only one Mike O that I am aware of. He must have transferred to Ursuline after freshman year. I played little league baseball and high school football against Mike. He was a across the line of scrimmage from me when we played Ursuline in '69. :)

Mike Olive obit from Ursuline website with comments from Ursuline teammates.

Eagles lost 16-0. One of Ursuline's TD's came on an incomplete pass in the end zone, but the ball bounced up, the receiver grabbed it and the official called it a TD. The crowd saw what happened and booed loudly. The official must have had his view blocked.

Last edited:
I was there at Rayen Stadium. It was the season ender. The Vindicator gave the crowd at over 6,000 and "very partisan." Ursuline should have won the SVC in'69, having beaten Fitch the eventual champ. But Girard wasn't on the slate so the Irish couldn't qualify. Hubbard had great defenses in the '60s. The '69 meeting was very wet that cold November night, with Ursuline looing the ball 3 times and Hubbard 4. One fumble stopped Ursuline at the Hubbard 3. Those were fun years for high school football in the Valley.
Brookfield would leave the SVC when Ursuline & Mooney were eligible for the title in '70, Girard would follow a year later.

I was there at Rayen Stadium. It was the season ender. The Vindicator gave the crowd at over 6,000 and "very partisan." Ursuline should have won the SVC in'69, having beaten Fitch the eventual champ. But Girard wasn't on the slate so the Irish couldn't qualify. Hubbard had great defenses in the '60s. The '69 meeting was very wet that cold November night, with Ursuline looing the ball 3 times and Hubbard 4. One fumble stopped Ursuline at the Hubbard 3. Those were fun years for high school football in the Valley.
Brookfield would leave the SVC when Ursuline & Mooney were eligible for the title in '70, Girard would follow a year later.
The Vindicator ran a story that year about the size of the Ursuline line. It was bigger than the Cleveland Browns o line. I think Olive was the biggest guy on their line at about 6'4" and 270 lbs.

'68 + '69 Hubbard teams had 5 guys receive D1 scholarships. 4 played defense in college. Herman Jackson Jr was 2nd team AP All American his senior year at Miami O as defensive end.

Last edited:
The Vindicator ran a story that year about the size of the Ursuline line. It was bigger than the Cleveland Browns o line. I think Olive was the biggest guy on their line at about 6'4" and 270 lbs.

'68 + '69 Hubbard teams had 5 guys receive D1 scholarships. 4 played defense in college. Herman Jackson Jr was 2nd team AP All American his senior year at Miami O.
I remember Leslie Block from the 69 team going to Pitt. John Saccomen & Bill Driscoll joined Mr. Jackson at Mia(O) if I remember correctly. I think Saccomen was a senior on the 68 team. I'm pretty sure that Herman Jackson played for the Memphis Southmen in the WFL for a season. I know he coached some pretty good Youngstown East teams in the 80s.

69 was a strange season in the SVC. Fitch won the title outright with a 4-1 league record but the loss was a blowout to Hubbard, 31-0. In non-league games WWR hammered Fitch 34-0 and Mooney and Ursuline both beat the Falcons but as Cinciirish mentioned neither was eligible for the title until the 70 season so those losses did not count in the league standings. Of course both schools knew before the season that they were not eligible for the SVC football title that year. Mooney played all the SVC members except Hubbard in 69. Ursuline did not play Girard or Struthers.

Only one Mike O that I am aware of. He must have transferred to Ursuline after freshman year. I played little league baseball and high school football against Mike. He was a across the line of scrimmage from me when we played Ursuline in '69. :)

Mike Olive obit from Ursuline website with comments from Ursuline teammates.

Eagles lost 16-0. One of Ursuline's TD's came on an incomplete pass in the end zone, but the ball bounced up, the receiver grabbed it and the official called it a TD. The crowd saw what happened and booed loudly. The official must have had his view blocked.
Yes, Mike Olive transferred after his freshman year as his father wished (per the school grapevine). Ouch.

I remember Leslie Block from the 69 team going to Pitt. John Saccomen & Bill Driscoll joined Mr. Jackson at Mia(O) if I remember correctly. I think Saccomen was a senior on the 68 team. I'm pretty sure that Herman Jackson played for the Memphis Southmen in the WFL for a season. I know he coached some pretty good Youngstown East teams in the 80s.

69 was a strange season in the SVC. Fitch won the title outright with a 4-1 league record but the loss was a blowout to Hubbard, 31-0. In non-league games WWR hammered Fitch 34-0 and Mooney and Ursuline both beat the Falcons but as Cinciirish mentioned neither was eligible for the title until the 70 season so those losses did not count in the league standings. Of course both schools knew before the season that they were not eligible for the SVC football title that year. Mooney played all the SVC members except Hubbard in 69. Ursuline did not play Girard or Struthers.
Leslie Block was a multi-sport athlete, as I recall. Football, basketball, and baseball. Track, too.(?) Bill Driscoll played basketball, too.

The Saccomen brothers both played tackle (iirc) and were good. Herman Jackson, among Hubbard's best running backs, was preceded by Rudy Hubbard.

Last edited:
Hubbard 7th. and 8th. grade football beat Girard by the score of 44- 14 tonight under the lights at the beautiful......Team is really impressive passing game run game whatever they tried worked to perfection!!

Yeah Mr Jackson played in the WFL although I don't know the team. You're never wrong so I'm sure it's Memphis. Jackson also coached North in 78-79 before the merger ( As I'm sure you know) There was a direct correlation in the downfall of East after Jackson left East after the 86 season to coach at YSU. The Golden Bears finished 9-1 in 86 beating Ursuline, Harding ,Boardman and a very good South team in week 10 @ Stambaugh. Announced crowd I believe was 8 K which has got to be a Stambaugh City Series record. Only half showed up week 11 as South exacted revenge. East didn't have a winning record until their last original team in 97

Yeah Mr Jackson played in the WFL although I don't know the team. You're never wrong so I'm sure it's Memphis. Jackson also coached North in 78-79 before the merger ( As I'm sure you know) There was a direct correlation in the downfall of East after Jackson left East after the 86 season to coach at YSU. The Golden Bears finished 9-1 in 86 beating Ursuline, Harding ,Boardman and a very good South team in week 10 @ Stambaugh. Announced crowd I believe was 8 K which has got to be a Stambaugh City Series record. Only half showed up week 11 as South exacted revenge. East didn't have a winning record until their last original team in 97
I believe that Mr. Jackson took over at North halfway through the 78 season. Pretty sure he followed Jerry Fields as HC. He had some nice teams at East, especially defensively. Those two games with South in 86 were City Series classics. I thought his 85 Golden Bears team was very good also. They were 7-3 but they lost 7-6 to Ursuline, 13-12 to Steubenville and 20-12 in OT to Rayen. Steubenville was the defending D2 champion and lost to Mooney by 2 in the D2 semifinals & Rayen was a D3 semifinalist that year.

I attended the last ever City Series game between Chaney & Wilson in 2006. There was a good crowd at that one but not as big as that first South-East game in 86.

Ursuline still applauds Mr Olive’s decision to send his son to “the academy .” Green & gold suited him more than blue & white.
Why did it suit him more?

Sounds like this troll just did a backhanded slap at the "blue and white" Hubbard school system and their football program.