Phrases you detest?

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."

I freaking hate that phrase. Most people do partake in the cake they make. And if it's "your" cake, you can dang well do whatever you want with it.

For some reason - probably no logical one - top dollar.

I once interviewed with a company's treasurer who used that phrase to describe the company's compensation program.

A little balloon instantly appeared above my head that simply said "BS Alert". lol
Made me think of the salesman who says "let me be honest with you" or "can I be honest with you". Even have heard "this time I'm being honest with you".

All of those phrases signal a person who is honest at times and dishonest at other times. That leaves me trying to figure out which one it is this time?

My father in law has fairly colorful language, by that I mean he uses unusual adjectives or nouns to drive points home or to show endearment.
One if his phrases when talking about an upcoming family reunion is "John and his crew are coming ". I hate that phrase, especially when John's "crew" is comprised of delinquent adolescents who have never worked together as a family on anything.

"Work hard, play hard"

Translation: We will work you to death and expect you to go above and beyond and we won't pay you for the extra effort but we will throw a bitchin corporate party that will look bad on your part if you don't come.

"Friendly reminder"

You see this a lot with work email. A reminder doesn't need to be friendly. Stop being so afraid of coming across as overbearing. If there's something we need to handle by a deadline, we're the jerks shirking our responsibilities, not you.

"Work hard, play hard"

Translation: We will work you to death and expect you to go above and beyond and we won't pay you for the extra effort but we will throw a bitchin corporate party that will look bad on your part if you don't come.

"Friendly reminder"

You see this a lot with work email. A reminder doesn't need to be friendly. Stop being so afraid of coming across as overbearing. If there's something we need to handle by a deadline, we're the jerks shirking our responsibilities, not you.
Corporate world sucks, imo

"Can't win for losing" Nobody has been able to persuade me that this makes one iota of sense, but my mind is still open.
If you always are the loser you are not and can't be a winner or the winner. Winners are the opposite of losers. In my case I do not lose for winning.

If you always are the loser you are not and can't be a winner or the winner. Winners are the opposite of losers. In my case I do not lose for winning.
I always thought there was some deeper meaning. I still can't get it to resonate and it just goes contrary to my way of thinking, so I retain my odium for it. I do appreciate your explanation, but some biases run so deep that only death can expunge them.