The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power

I hate this woke stuff too. I’m 100% certain if in the original the character was black and the live action they made her white, the movie would get insane heat. However, you’ve got to pick your battles.

In this case, it's not even a battle for "woke." The original depiction was a Disney fantasy, not even close to the truth of the ethnicity. The present one is at least closer to those depictions I found in Ancient Greek art.

Sucks to suck
Your chapped lips are your problem. I gave the two general definitions and you confirmed one of them. Your low IQ has you thinking you made a "gotcha," when all you did was confirm my statement and contradict yours.

Caucasians people are NOT what we refer to as "white." The Greeks did not depict their Gods as "white." I posted how they depict them, you have yet to show any ancient greek art looking like Disney's Ariel and no one intelligent calls that ancient depiction "white."

In general, the human population has been divided into three major races: Caucasoid, Negroid and Mongoloid.

Caucasian as a reference to "white people" is an invention not based at all in fact of that region. Caucasoid is a skeletal structure. It's a completely different use of the word. It does not in the sense of "white" refer to necessary descendents of that region. The Caucasus is NO sense in considered the origin of man or even part of man, let alone "white" man. Some german anthropologist chose that word and it stuck.

As I said, read a book. Or better, leave the basement, buy a plane ticket and go there. Call them "white people" and see how that goes for you.

Last edited:
Quit babbling.

Caucasians are considered white people. They're genetically "white" and linguistically share a common origin. Your definition is old fashioned, equating it to Germanic Europe (Northern and Central Europe) almost exclusively.

Greeks are white. They have fair to olive skin, hair that ranges from blonde to light brown to dark, and eyes of all colors - as do most Caucasian groups. What they are not is black, and neither are their gods.

Last edited:
Casting black people = woke, don't you remember?

I don't think any of the accusers are going to answer what specific parts they have found to be "woke," now that they have had opportunity to see it. One person seemed to put hopes on diverting topic to a different show. Be nice to know what they're hanging their hat on. I don't get that they've hung it on different colored puppies but they've still not been specific.

If I'm paraphrasing correctly, LOTR's bascially saying the "not Tolkien" aspect is partly nor wholly and is subjective, which makes sense. More a different emotional take-away than from the reading and I presume the original three movies. Not being too emotionally vested myself, I wouldn't argue against that.

I would like them to get on with the adventuring. That's really the only difference I'm feeling. I just take the Gyladrial character as being at a different time in life and having more of the relative focus than in the original movies. Nothing seems "woke" to me about that.

In this case, it's not even a battle for "woke." The original depiction was a Disney fantasy, not even close to the truth of the ethnicity. The present one is at least closer to those depictions I found in Ancient Greek art.
Yes, but again we all know if it were the reverse, it would’ve caused much larger outrage. Race swapping is ok only in one direction.

Guaranteed 100% Rotten Tomatoes.

In an epic backfire trying to be superwoke, people didn’t know the tribe portrayed in the movie was heavily involved in the slave trade. What a spectacular blow up.

In an epic backfire trying to be superwoke, people didn’t know the tribe portrayed in the movie was heavily involved in the slave trade. What a spectacular blow up.
I know of the movie but not a lot about the story. What’s woke about it?

Yes, but again we all know if it were the reverse, it would’ve caused much larger outrage. Race swapping is ok only in one direction.
Not at all. It was okay for most of Hollywood history. People losing their lunch over a slightly flipped script. If those complaining 20 years ago about lack of representation or "appropriation" were weak, then aren't also those complaining today? 🤷

Not really, it wasn’t just them who fought off the French
Maybe, but I was referring to them being an all female group of warriors who fought colonization part. That part seems to be true.

I don’t know enough about the rest to know what was left in or left out, or if it’s any different than any other historical film that doesn’t fully follow historical accuracy.

Maybe, but I was referring to them being an all female group of warriors who fought colonization part. That part seems to be true.

I don’t know enough about the rest to know what was left in or left out, or if it’s any different than any other historical film that doesn’t fully follow historical accuracy.
They were also part of the tribe that actually fought to keep the slave trade open. History is funny like that.

Not at all. It was okay for most of Hollywood history. People losing their lunch over a slightly flipped script. If those complaining 20 years ago about lack of representation or "appropriation" were weak, then aren't also those complaining today? 🤷
It was dumb when it was being done. Nobody wanted to see a movie about the Great Wall of China with Matt Damon & Pedro Pascal. However, that doesn’t mean you need to make modern movies stupid as a penance.

It was dumb when it was being done. Nobody wanted to see a movie about the Great Wall of China with Matt Damon & Pedro Pascal. However, that doesn’t mean you need to make modern movies stupid as a penance.

It's not penance. It's business. Not all customer bases are the same. Are you noticing how many movies and tv series are being made? They're not working off original ideas. They're ALL refurbishing.

As I've posted on these threads before, this is not new. Every classic that has survived history has had its basic storyline molded to new use. Has had its characters portrayed alternately. The "woke-fear" crowd can lose sleep if they want. Just feeds my shadenfreud because I know how to change the channel.

It's not penance. It's business. Not all customer bases are the same. Are you noticing how many movies and tv series are being made? They're not working off original ideas. They're ALL refurbishing.

As I've posted on these threads before, this is not new. Every classic that has survived history has had its basic storyline molded to new use. Has had its characters portrayed alternately. The "woke-fear" crowd can lose sleep if they want. Just feeds my shadenfreud because I know how to change the channel.
Have you noticed how many of them suck? Like 75% suck balls.

It’s about a tribe of African women warriors who fight vs colonialism.
Well regardless of what the movie shows the historical facts would indicate that they lost that fight big time.

1663415144604.png

Have you noticed how many of them suck? Like 75% suck balls.
Neither of those are my thing, I wouldn't know. Or care. Perhaps it's their obsession with bad movies and balls that has everyone laughing at the incels afraid of movies about women warriers? It's so easy to change the channel.

I'm pretty sure I was no older than eight before I realized no men could live up to the talents of fictional characters like He-Man, Superman, Wonder Women or John Wayne's Davy Crocket. They were just motivators. Fictional depictions. Same thing all these characters are that have a certain demographic worried.

Why get so upset about someone else's watching habits?

Last edited:
Neither of those are my thing, I wouldn't know. Or care. Perhaps it's their obsession with bad movies and balls that has everyone laughing at the incels afraid of movies about women warriers? It's so easy to change the channel.

I'm pretty sure I was no older than eight before I realized no men could live up to the talents of fictional characters like He-Man, Superman, Wonder Women or John Wayne's Davy Crocket. They were just motivators. Fictional depictions. Same thing all these characters are that have a certain demographic worried.

Why get so upset about someone else's watching habits?
It’s not just marvel, it’s all of entertainment.

It’s not just marvel, it’s all of entertainment.
as it ever was. Even movies about real people were fictionalized my whole life and even before. We all know that. Most were written to create unassailable heroes and villains. And then I knew that's not who they were. Everything is grey. If someone is doing it to try and sway opinion, someone else will do it to sway opinion more to their liking. It doesn't bother me. There's plenty of shows I enjoy. If something doesn't entertain me, I change the channel or find something else to do.

Since I don't know the Ring characters all that well, it's not possible for me to take them as "Tolkien" or not. Now would I likely care. I just care if I'm entertained. So far, not so much. The Gylandrial actress is not compelling in that role. The queen moreso is. Most of the others are. The elf guy at the dwarf place is getting better now that he has better acting to play off. I think they're trying to time all the stories and that's making the whole thing incredibly slow and without story to me. For me, they'd been better to tell the previous story.

On the subject of tatties, was at a wedding over the weekend and the bride had to have had Gs or something ridiculous and made absolutely no attempt to hide them. We're talking one wrong move and they're out, can't really dance too much type of dress. Very strange choice for a wedding

On the subject of this show: each episode is getting worse, honestly. The plots, dialogue, direction, and obvious wokeness drag this down way down. I'm honestly only watching it because my wife wants to finish the season

The sea is always right! lmao

Last edited: