D 1 private schools?

And two of them will be in the D1 state championship game. What does that tell you about the OHSAA's disparity between parochial and public school rules. Enough of this nonsense .
I'm sorry, its not the disparity between parochial and public schools. There is a disparity between D1 and D2 schools that are located within 25 miles of a major metropolitan city and D1 and D2 schools that aren't. Take the parochial schools out of it and the majority of D1 and D2 schools that would win state would still be withing a 25 mile radius of major metro areas. Lima, Findlay, Troy, Sidney still have no shot of winning a title. The difference is the pool of kids that pickerington has falls into their school district plus any of the other major surrounding areas, whereas findlay, troy etc. pool of kids is the entire city and that is it.

You've never heard of kids moving from crap schools to better ones? I feel bad for the kids you know.
Kids should move to get a better reading comprehension class for sure. You said moving for a great Math program and performing arts. Not from a crap school to a good one. Don't feel sorry for the kids I know, their parents all placed them in outstanding districts and they all received outstanding academics. I mean why would they live in a district with a terrible record?

I'm sorry, its not the disparity between parochial and public schools. There is a disparity between D1 and D2 schools that are located within 25 miles of a major metropolitan city and D1 and D2 schools that aren't. Take the parochial schools out of it and the majority of D1 and D2 schools that would win state would still be withing a 25 mile radius of major metro areas. Lima, Findlay, Troy, Sidney still have no shot of winning a title. The difference is the pool of kids that pickerington has falls into their school district plus any of the other major surrounding areas, whereas findlay, troy etc. pool of kids is the entire city and that is it.
What about Springfield? They had a shot at winning the D1 title last year. They beat Moeller in the state semifinals. But for some special teams miscues and mental mistakes, they could have won. The year before, they lost to eventual state champion St. Xavier because of a missed FG in the state semifinals. Springfield is a small industrial town that's located very close to Troy. There's a road that connects the towns which are about 18 miles apart.

Kids should move to get a better reading comprehension class for sure. You said moving for a great Math program and performing arts. Not from a crap school to a good one. Don't feel sorry for the kids I know, their parents all placed them in outstanding districts and they all received outstanding academics. I mean why would they live in a district with a terrible record?
Why one but not the other? The money should follow the student. If someone lives in a under-performing district, the student should be able to attend any district that will accept them.

Last edited:
Not all kids are as fortunate as the kids you know, and their parents don't have the resources to move somewhere better. Too bad for them in your eyes, I guess.

Why one but not the other? The money should follow the student. If someone lives in a under-performing district, the student should be able to attend any district that will accept them.
The money does follow the student if their school district is under performing and the potential school accepts open enrollment. What 4glbgtqlmnop didn't tell you was that these Pinocchio's steel that money (as well as their Allstars) from these already hurting financially inner city schools. It's a win win for them, all in the name of being a good Stewart of taxpayers money. Oh , and by the way, should tax money go to fund the church????
The remainder of their 15000 tuition gets magical paid by garden gnomes or fairies. And these athletes don't have to sit out 5 games.
There are no consequences to this nefarious activity. So yes, as PDF says, there are many disparities. If you are going to allow one group to attract students, even get state funded vouchers, then th Publics should have the very same rules and lack of consequences. The truth will set you free.

The money does follow the student if their school district is under performing and the potential school accepts open enrollment. What 4glbgtqlmnop didn't tell you was that these Pinocchio's steel that money (as well as their Allstars) from these already hurting financially inner city schools. It's a win win for them, all in the name of being a good Stewart of taxpayers money. Oh , and by the way, should tax money go to fund the church????
The remainder of their 15000 tuition gets magical paid by garden gnomes or fairies. And these athletes don't have to sit out 5 games.
There are no consequences to this nefarious activity. So yes, as PDF says, there are many disparities. If you are going to allow one group to attract students, even get state funded vouchers, then th Publics should have the very same rules and lack of consequences. The truth will set you free.
I give zero f---s to the "level playing field" for sports argument. If one is beyond school-age, they should be over Alma Mater winning state titles being an ego boost. Any student should be able to attend any school that will have them, public or private, for any reason they and their familiy chooses, and the tax money should follow them to that school.

As far as other districts "stealing" students, 1) they aren't "yours" to "steal", and 2) they wouldn't leave unless they are failing to get something you can't provide. Stop worrying about "them" and worry about fixing "us".

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Piqua won a state title. Troy has had teams that could play with anyone, but were unable to get over the hump. Lima has won the title and nothing has changed where they couldn't have another team good enough to compete for another. Kind of not buying your premise here.

I give zero f---s to the "level playing field" for sports argument. If one is beyond school-age, they should be over Alma Mater winning state titles being an ego boost. Any student should be able to attend any school that will have them, public or private, for any reason they and their familiy chooses, and the tax money should follow them to that school.

As far as other districts "stealing" students, 1) they aren't "yours" to "steal", and 2) they wouldn't leave unless they are failing to get something you can't provide. Stop worrying about "them" and worry about fixing "us".
And you are entitled to your opinion as we are ours. Who is right? The old they aren't yours so nobody is stealing them is true and false. If they reside in a district they technically are that school districts students until otherwise. If you don't give a rats behind about "level the playing field" that is your right to have that opinion. If salesman A is selling widgets in one county and salesman B is selling the same widgets in 6 counties who is going to outperform who? Just tell salesman A to work harder and longer right?

I'm pretty sure that Piqua won a state title. Troy has had teams that could play with anyone, but were unable to get over the hump. Lima has won the title and nothing has changed where they couldn't have another team good enough to compete for another. Kind of not buying your premise here.
I believe 17 out of the last 20 D1 titles have gone to big Catholics. Many of the public was before the voucher system, which is the main title of this thread. Of course theres always going to be an example of here and there.

I believe 17 out of the last 20 D1 titles have gone to big Catholics. Many of the public was before the voucher system, which is the main title of this thread. Of course theres always going to be an example of here and there.
Colerain, Pick Central (2), and Hilliard Davidson (2) were all in the last 20 years. 15 of 20.

Then I take it you are for getting rid of the post season altogether?
Not at all. I just don't GAF that all schools have the same chance of winning. It's impossible.

I'll add that I played in the earliest days of the playoffs, and would rather have beaten our rival than some team from a different part of the state, even though the latter supposedly is more important in some people's eyes.

Last edited:
Not at all. I just don't GAF that all schools have the same chance of winning. It's impossible.

I'll add that I played in the earliest days of the playoffs, and would rather have beaten our rival than some team from a different part of the state, even though the latter supposedly is more important in some people's eyes.
I don't think anyone thinks they can have the same chance of winning. Would just like the OHSAA to use some common f sense. Hoban never sniffed a title until they got a new coach that knew what he could get away with and went out and did everything legally he could. That coupled with the new voucher system and bam, look at me now beating schools that don't get to do these things the way we do.

I don't think anyone thinks they can have the same chance of winning. Would just like the OHSAA to use some common f sense. Hoban never sniffed a title until they got a new coach that knew what he could get away with and went out and did everything legally he could. That coupled with the new voucher system and bam, look at me now beating schools that don't get to do these things the way we do.
What can they offer these kids that their current school does not? Unless it's religious in nature, why can't their districts provide it?

What can they offer these kids that their current school does not? Unless it's religious in nature, why can't their districts provide it?
A winning football team! But lets be real, you'll never get it and there's two sides of the fence people are riding and you're on the other side. Have a good day!

Public schools can't do whatever they can up to the line of the rules?
Not many publics have kids from 5-6 counties and sometimes other states. Could they form a committee to target top athletes for open enrollment and get them to reside in their community, probably. But lets be real this is not what HS sports is or should be about.

Not many publics have kids from 5-6 counties and sometimes other states. Could they form a committee to target top athletes for open enrollment and get them to reside in their community, probably. But lets be real this is not what HS sports is or should be about.
Depends - athletics can drive alot of things forward with enrollment. But this could also lead to corruption, and agree it could be disastrous and not well suited for high schools.

But that's different than their hands being tied. I definitely agree the privates have an advantage, and I honestly don't think that will ever change. But could the publics be doing more? I'd argue yes.

I have said this before and I am an X guy. This opinion is also not popular with the private school guys. The five or six big private schools in Ohio should break off from the OHSAA and do their own thing with other large private schools in the region. It would free them up from the constant criticism and they could compete with other like minded schools that do not have the same financial and legal constraints that public schools inherently do. Us private school guys act like we compete in the same world as the public schools do and we don't. We have more resources, don't have to tolerate discipline issues, and it costs a lot of money to go to these schools so expectations are way higher. A lot of states separate private and public competition because they know that these institutions are dealing with way different realities. Ohio should do the same thing and Iggy's could form a junior hockey program, Moeller could compete with Oak Hill Academy in basketball and X could swim all year around against Bolles in the fall, Carmel in winter and Irvine in the spring.

I have said this before and I am an X guy. This opinion is also not popular with the private school guys. The five or six big private schools in Ohio should break off from the OHSAA and do their own thing with other large private schools in the region. It would free them up from the constant criticism and they could compete with other like minded schools that do not have the same financial and legal constraints that public schools inherently do. Us private school guys act like we compete in the same world as the public schools do and we don't. We have more resources, don't have to tolerate discipline issues, and it costs a lot of money to go to these schools so expectations are way higher. A lot of states separate private and public competition because they know that these institutions are dealing with way different realities. Ohio should do the same thing and Iggy's could form a junior hockey program, Moeller could compete with Oak Hill Academy in basketball and X could swim all year around against Bolles in the fall, Carmel in winter and Irvine in the spring.
You might be right as far as sports go, at least some schools might have a chance to win a state championship they might not have had otherwise.

Piqua has once this century, I believe Lima's last time was in the 90's but could be wrong on that. I'm not saying it never happens, but if you look at the teams who consistently contend for the title they all reside close to a metropolitan area.