Week 5: AP/Yappi #3 Canfield Cardinals (4-0) vs Yappi #7 Chaney Cowboys (4-0) [D-III:R9]

Who wins this match-up of undefeated region 9 teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simkon

The Chaney Cowboys are off to a 4-0 start for the first time in recent memory, having defeated the Marlington Dukes 35-10 in week 4. They also were victorious over the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals 22-17 in week 3, the Boardman Spartans 40-14 in week 2 and the Poland Bulldogs in week 1 by a score of 34-2, not allowing Poland's offense any points whatsoever. Meanwhile Canfield is also 4-0 but with a very lackluster showing in week 1 vs the (3-1) West Branch Warriors, winning by a count of 35-31. Canfield looked better in the following weeks against the (3-1) Bellevue Redmen 28-12, the (2-2) Poland Seminary Bulldogs 31-7, and most recently shutting out St. Thomas More Catholic (D-I:ON/Canadien) by a score of 42-0. The only mutual opponent thus far on the schedule is Poland, with both teams winning by a large margin. Both teams will play the Howland Tigers and East Golden Bears later in the season.
Canfield and Chaney first met in 1963*, a season in which Canfield went undefeated, while in their most recent meeting Canfield defeated Chaney last year by a score of 35-6.
*(or possibly as early as in the 20's or 30's due to incomplete records)
Below is the recent history of the series, Canfield has won the previous 6 meetings, with the Cowboys last winning in overtime in 2004.
2021 Canfield 35 Chaney 6
2020 Canfield 35 Chaney 19
2011-2019 DNP
2010 Canfield 18 Chaney 6
2009 Canfield 41 Chaney 14
2008 Canfield 38 Chaney 0
2007 DNP
2006 DNP
2005 Canfield 49 Chaney 35
2004 Canfield 21 Chaney 22 OT

Who wins this battle of unbeatens from region 9, the well rounded Cowboys or the Broc Lowry led Cardinals?

Also this will be the first matchup at Rayen Stadium in a long time. They played at Canfield in most of the recent matchups and at Stambaugh in the early to mid 2000's.

I would not really say Canfield is the favorite this year to be honest. I would say there is no clear favorite.

Also this will be the first matchup at Rayen Stadium in a long time. They played at Canfield in most of the recent matchups and at Stambaugh in the early to mid 2000's.
Have they ever played at Rayen? I thought Chaney's de facto 'home' field was South. It was very rare for a city team outside of Rayen & South to host a non conference game

Have they ever played at Rayen? I thought Chaney's de facto 'home' field was South. It was very rare for a city team outside of Rayen & South to host a non conference game
I know Canfield has played them in more recent years (past 30 years or so) in away games that weren't at Stambaugh. However I am sure one of the "experts" that are more knowledgeable about the YCS can tell you the answer.

Chaney needs to clean up penalties and coughing the ball up. If they do they can win, but Canfield isn’t going away easy, they seem to be hitting their stride

Chaney needs to clean up penalties and coughing the ball up. If they do they can win, but Canfield isn’t going away easy, they seem to be hitting their stride
Yeah I watched some of the Marlington game on ysn. That was an inordinate amount of penalties even for Chaney. Game shouldn't have been that close. I believe Chaney's 'A' game is good enough to beat Canfield. Canfield usually brings their 'A' game, especially against better teams. If Chaney plays the way they did against the Dukes it'll be 4-1 for the Cowboys
Maybe they overlooked Marlington after beating Poland, Boardman and Mooney

Regardless of this game’s result, neither team will win Region 9. I’m not saying Chardon will, I’m just saying Canfield nor Chaney will. Just being honest. If I’m wrong I will be the first to say so. Canfield is not as good as the last two seasons, and Chaney is Chaney.

Regardless of this game’s result, neither team will win Region 9. I’m not saying Chardon will, I’m just saying Canfield nor Chaney will. Just being honest. If I’m wrong I will be the first to say so. Canfield is not as good as the last two seasons, and Chaney is Chaney.
I agree they arnt as good as the last 2 seasons, but neither is the rest of R9. A lot can happen from now till weeks 10 and on. Canfield is a team who usually gets better as the season goes on. Won’t know much about them till Dover I think

It is not about how good Canfield is now but how good will they be after week 10. They still have to improve in several areas no doubt. And every once in a blue moon teams can get carried by one exceptional player without the greatest supporting cast, especially if that player is that player goes both ways and even more so if he is a QB. Some people have said to me Canfield only goes as far as Lowry carries the team. I think after week 10, we all will have a much better idea of what to expect, and even then we may still be surprised by the outcome, someone like Benedictine could sneak into the playoffs with 3 or 4 wins, continually get better every week and seemingly come out of no where and run the table to win state.

It is not about how good Canfield is now but how good will they be after week 10. They still have to improve in several areas no doubt. And every once in a blue moon teams can get carried by one exceptional player without the greatest supporting cast, especially if that player is that player goes both ways and even more so if he is a QB. Some people have said to me Canfield only goes as far as Lowry carries the team. I think after week 10, we all will have a much better idea of what to expect, and even then we may still be surprised by the outcome, someone like Benedictine could sneak into the playoffs with 3 or 4 wins, continually get better every week and seemingly come out of no where and run the table to win state.
No way on Benedictine winning State, let alone Region 9. You can take that to the bank. Same goes for Canfield.

What is up with the shot gun snaps with Chaney? They don't look crisp. Take forever to get to the QB.

Canfield played East and lost to East a few yrs back at Rayen Stadium. It was a really good game, came down to the end.

CHaney wins by 2 scores. Chaney has some D1 speed and will contain Lowry. Lowry hasn’t been contained all year but against some D1 talent, he will be.

Lowry is a very good football player but maybe the third or fourth most talented kid on the field Friday. Jason Hewlett is no doubt a better athlete with 20 DI offers and will play for Cincinnati as a linebacker next year. The Toledo commit, DJ Waller, is a big time player and the young QB Matthew Jones is going to be one to keep an eye on. I think if Chaney plays a relatively clean game they win just over a touchdown.

Lowry is a very good football player but maybe the third or fourth most talented kid on the field Friday. Jason Hewlett is no doubt a better athlete with 20 DI offers and will play for Cincinnati as a linebacker next year. The Toledo commit, DJ Waller, is a big time player and the young QB Matthew Jones is going to be one to keep an eye on. I think if Chaney plays a relatively clean game they win just over a touchdown.
I think there is no way Lowry is only the 4th best, he is either the best or 2nd best. Though the next best Canfield player is definitely not better than the 3 or 4 best Chaney players.

I didn’t mean that in a bad way. I definitely would put Hewlett ahead and receiver iffy. The young QB is just that - young but also talented. Lowery is a hell of a player no doubt. Anyhoo , should be a really good game and if I wasn’t going to see Fitch , I would go to this one.

Problem is they haven’t played a clean game yet, but I agree

What is up with the shot gun snaps with Chaney? They don't look crisp. Take forever to get to the QB.
sort of funny and i doubt it's coaching related but boardman had the same problem last year. same head coach and OL coach as Bob Toth went to Chaney with Antram.

That being said, for as disciplined as Canfield usually is they tend to have a lot of pre-snap penalties on offense or at least more than I'd expect from them.

Seems like, however, that only Chaney can stop itself so far this year. That's how the Boardman game went.