Dover Tornadoes Football 2022

I was looking at Dover’s season from 10 years ago, and noticed something interesting. They played a relatively tough schedule of 8 D2 schools and 2 D3 schools (out of 6 divisions), while themselves being D3 (meaning at least 8 schools on the schedule were bigger):

Now Dover has increased to D2 (now out of 7 divisions), while every school on the 2012 schedule (with the exception of Ashland) has dropped down a division since (Shaw even dropped from D2 to D4). This means Dover is now bigger than 7 of those 8 schools that were bigger 10 years ago (again, except for Ashland). Having said that, has Dover really gotten that much bigger? Or have these other schools all just gotten smaller?

Shaw: was D2, now D4 (dropped 2)
Ashland: was D2, still D2 (stayed the same)
Canfield: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Tri-Valley: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Woodward: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Claymont: was D3, now D4 (dropped 1)
Zanesville: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Cambridge: was D3, now D4 (dropped 1)
Marietta: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
New Phila: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)

Dover: was D3, now D2 (increased 1)
Canfield was the smallest or 2nd smallest D-II school that year or something like that. Dover was one of the biggest D-III schools that year if I am not mistaken. The difference in enrollment between the two that year was like 10-12 boys if I remember correctly.
This year Dover is one of the smaller D-IIs and Canfield is a smaller D-III I think.

New Philadelphia dropped in enrollment because the demographics in Dover were more favorable (in other words New Philadelphia has some sketchy neighboorhoods). I know this first hamd because at the time I lived in Dover and worked in New Philadelphia but looked for places to like in New Philadelphia as well as other surrounding communities.

I was looking at Dover’s season from 10 years ago, and noticed something interesting. They played a relatively tough schedule of 8 D2 schools and 2 D3 schools (out of 6 divisions), while themselves being D3 (meaning at least 8 schools on the schedule were bigger):

Now Dover has increased to D2 (now out of 7 divisions), while every school on the 2012 schedule (with the exception of Ashland) has dropped down a division since (Shaw even dropped from D2 to D4). This means Dover is now bigger than 7 of those 8 schools that were bigger 10 years ago (again, except for Ashland). Having said that, has Dover really gotten that much bigger? Or have these other schools all just gotten smaller?

Shaw: was D2, now D4 (dropped 2)
Ashland: was D2, still D2 (stayed the same)
Canfield: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Tri-Valley: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Woodward: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Claymont: was D3, now D4 (dropped 1)
Zanesville: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
Cambridge: was D3, now D4 (dropped 1)
Marietta: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)
New Phila: was D2, now D3 (dropped 1)

Dover: was D3, now D2 (increased 1)
Dover had some very small classes around 07 to 2012,then went the other direction with the 911 babies and the growth of Becker Creek.

I don’t know if they’ll actually be good, but week 4 opponent Taylor Allderdice is similar in size to the Fed schools. Former Jets running back Curtis Martin played there (and Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller are alums too).
History says doubtful, last 10 years they have only had 5 winning seasons with a total record under .500, Anything is possible but for them it would be out of the norm.

Dover won 14-13. No details offered. A lack of details will become the norm as the Times Reporter let Roger Metzger go,he was the only sports writer left.

Dover won 14-13. No details offered. A lack of details will become the norm as the Times Reporter let Roger Metzger go,he was the only sports writer left.
TR sucks unless you like getting the sunday paper to read about Friday nights games. Might as well be the Bargain Hunter.
Look at one of those newspaper archive sites for the old Daily Times and Daily Reporters back in the 60’s. Dover and Phila coverage would take up most of the front sports pages with 3-4 photos each…showing my age…the good old days.

I’m guessing this was a blanket offer out to many conferences, not just the IVC. They have been scrambling for a couple years now to find a conference that will take them.