IUDOGS: 2022 Division II Top Twenty Five

Calling WW a "public" school with the way they run open enrollment is laughable. The WW team is made up of kids who are from other district borders, so comparing them to true public schools would only be done by someone trying to build false strawmen.

The teams that beat WW early in the season in fluke games were never going to beat them late in playoffs, that was proven by the way WW dismantled Kings.

How about give the kids from Winton Woods some credit.
WW got beat fair and square by THREE good Cincy D2 teams last season and almost lost to a 4th in OT. (2-8 Loveland)
Then had a great run to win the state championship.
I'd say their conference was pretty good based on that.

Also the post above is ignorant of the WW school district.
Greenhills and Forest Park are loaded with decent football players and always has been.

Yes Winton Woods gets some kids from other districts through open enrollment.
They also lose kids through OE so it evens out.
The majority of Ohio districts have some form of open enrollment .... so what.
Some Yappi nerds have said it's over 70% of Ohio districts are OE but who cares.
Any district can do it or not.....it's their choice.

Calling WW a "public" school with the way they run open enrollment is laughable. The WW team is made up of kids who are from other district borders, so comparing them to true public schools would only be done by someone trying to build false strawmen.

The teams that beat WW early in the season in fluke games were never going to beat them late in playoffs, that was proven by the way WW dismantled
I wasn't at the games but beating Turpin 46-29 and Kings 31-21 don't seem like a dismantle. Heck Piqua scored 17 on them. That is what Green and Hoban scored put together.

Below is all you need to know about your statement of terrible D2 in both Columbus and especially Cincinnati. Two of the Dayton schools go through the Cincinnati region. Piqua usually Is in that region but but in 06 they went north. 00, 03 and 10 are th NEO public champs.

In my opinion the best D2 conference in the state is the pretty new ECC. They have a few D1 schools but mostly D2.

Public schools
4 Cincinnati
3 Dayton
3 Toledo
3 Neo
1 Columbus

State Champs
21 WW
20 Hoban
19 Lasalle
18 Hoban
17 Hoban
16 Lasalle
15 LaSalle
14 LaSalle
13 Loveland
12 TCC
11 Trotwood
10 Maple Heights
09 WW
08 Sylvania Southview
07 Anderson
06 Piqua
05 TCC
04 Brookhaven
03 Avon Lake
02 CJ
01 Toledo Desales
00 Olmsted Falls

How about give the kids from Winton Woods some credit.
WW got beat fair and square by THREE good Cincy D2 teams last season and almost lost to a 4th in OT. (2-8 Loveland)
Then had a great run to win the state championship.
I'd say their conference was pretty good based on that.

Also the post above is ignorant of the WW school district.
Greenhills and Forest Park are loaded with decent football players and always has been.

Yes Winton Woods gets some kids from other districts through open enrollment.
They also lose kids through OE so it evens out.
The majority of Ohio districts have some form of open enrollment .... so what.
Some Yappi nerds have said it's over 70% of Ohio districts are OE but who cares.
Any district can do it or not.....it's their choice.
how many of those kids they lose play Football? Thank you in advance

I wasn't at the games but beating Turpin 46-29 and Kings 31-21 don't seem like a dismantle. Heck Piqua scored 17 on them. That is what Green and Hoban scored put together.

Below is all you need to know about your statement of terrible D2 in both Columbus and especially Cincinnati. Two of the Dayton schools go through the Cincinnati region. Piqua usually Is in that region but but in 06 they went north. 00, 03 and 10 are th NEO public champs.

In my opinion the best D2 conference in the state is the pretty new ECC. They have a few D1 schools but mostly D2.

Public schools
4 Cincinnati
3 Dayton
3 Toledo
3 Neo
1 Columbus

State Champs
21 WW
20 Hoban
19 Lasalle
18 Hoban
17 Hoban
16 Lasalle
15 LaSalle
14 LaSalle
13 Loveland
12 TCC
11 Trotwood
10 Maple Heights
09 WW
08 Sylvania Southview
07 Anderson
06 Piqua
05 TCC
04 Brookhaven
03 Avon Lake
02 CJ
01 Toledo Desales
00 Olmsted Falls
Bingo.

I couldn't care less what happened at these schools 10 years ago, less 20. Comparing high school football from that far ago shows such a lack of understanding about the game, it's not even worth continuing a conversation with you. In addition to the game evolving constantly (and it has quite a bit this past decade), communities are constantly changing as well and there are plenty of public schools who change dramatically from decade to decade, many of the ones you listed above among them.

Football in Piqua and Troy has been a JOKE the past few years. When you play in an extremely poor conference and schedule D3 schools for your OOC games, its easy to put up 10 win seasons. Then you eventually play someone real in the playoffs (after sifting thru all the other bad teams in the region) and realize that you never had a chance to begin with and you have nothing to look back on but a bunch of wins against average and below teams.

I watched film on the Piqua WW game. Regardless of the final score, if that game were played 10 times, WW is winning all 10 of them. Reminded me of the Troy team a couple years ago that ran thru their schedule like a knife thru butter than lost a 1st round playoff game at home (old format) to Olentangy, who put a running clock on them.

My advice, if you are at Piqua or Troy, get plenty of enjoyment out of that trophy case from the "good ol' days", because you aint adding anything significant to it anytime soon unless the next Brandon Saine comes walking thru those doors. Their chance to win the region this year or next is literally ZERO-POINT-ZERO.

We have horrible loud mouth parents like this in COH too, last year's Big Walnut team, man you wouldn't BELIEVE how loud these parents started chirping when they ran the table with their complete garbage schedule, which also was made up of D3 OOC games and a truly awful league. After nearly losing to the 16 seed despite a +4 turnover margin that included a fumbled punt at the goal line, they had a half-time running clock shutout put on them by a Massillon team that didn't even win the region.

As for the WW team, yes credit to the players, wherever it is they are from. There's an easy way to settle the open enrollment discussion, how many of the kids who played live in the FP/GH boundaries? No one is questioning the fact that historically many good athletes come out of this area, that's no different than several other public districts. And just because other districts haven't taken advantage of open enrollment the way that WW has doesn't change the fact that their program operates much more like a LaSalle or Moeller than does an Edgewood or Kings.

WW finally got a decent coach last year and was able to organize all the talent they get their hands on into a team instead of just a bunch of individual performers. They have a great program right now and can be proud about it. As I started this post with, if you aren't LaSalle or WW, you have no chance of ultimately winning R8, no matter what happens early in the
I'm not comparing teams from the past your first statement was Cincy and Columbus public schools weren't as good as NEO publics. I sent you 3 teams in region 8 that put up more points on WW then any NEO team. I agree with you about Columbus teams. You sound like the guy from Olentangy dogging the southwest region but as I showed the last time a NEO public team won the state was 2010. Name me a better mostly D2 conference than the ECC.

Also, Troy and Piqua do play in a weaker league but you can only play the teams around your area. Do you want them to stay in the GWOC where all the teams are D1 and twice there size?

The teams that beat WW early in the season in fluke games were never going to beat them late in playoffs, that was proven by the way WW dismantled Kings.

how many of those kids they lose play Football? Thank you in advance
Our new running back actually lived in district but attended Mt. Healthy for 3 yrs. He has been staying across from school for yrs. Because I'm familiar I know quite a few schools tht have FP kids. Lasalle has a few. X has a few. There was a kid at moeller. I can go on and on.

With the exception of Hoban in NE Ohio, you'd have to say Cincinnati has held its own in D2 for quite some time... at least 2007 or 2008 (Anderson, WW, Loveland Lasalle) there has to be 8 or so titles coming from the Nati in that time ?‍♂️

Last edited:
1. WW - Defending champs who upgraded at QB and added a stud RB to go with the great defense.

2. Hoban - Tyrell doesn’t take losing well and comes back with a vengeance on the cruitin trail lol
Add a legit passer to pair with the most productive RB in the state.

3. Avon - Bring back a lot of experience in key spots: QB, OL, And the RB is a BEAST. Can they get over the Hoban hump?

4. Massillon- Talent at the offensive skill spots but OL is a mixture of inexperienced and unproven kids, some of whom will need to play both ways. QB is still unproven to a certain extent as well and they will undoubtedly run into teams that can stop or slow down the run game.

5. TCC/Lasalle - don’t know much other than they’re both always good and have talent.

1. WW - Defending champs who upgraded at QB and added a stud RB to go with the great defense.

2. Hoban - Tyrell doesn’t take losing well and comes back with a vengeance on the cruitin trail lol
Add a legit passer to pair with the most productive RB in the state.

3. Avon - Bring back a lot of experience in key spots: QB, OL, And the RB is a BEAST. Can they get over the Hoban hump?

4. Massillon- Talent at the offensive skill spots but OL is a mixture of inexperienced and unproven kids, some of whom will need to play both ways. QB is still unproven to a certain extent as well and they will undoubtedly run into teams that can stop or slow down the run game.

5. TCC/Lasalle - don’t know much other than they’re both always good and have talent.
Toledo Central Catholic definitely is a great program and they return a lot of talent. Avon escaped R6 last year with a hard earned 43-42 OT win over TCC and I expect another battle this November.

after week 1 w/ changes from last week
1-LaSalle (+2)
2-Archbishop Hoban (-1)
3-Toledo CC (+2)
4-Massillon (-2)
5-King's (+2)
6-Winton Woods (-2)
7-Walsh Jesuit (+1)
8-Avon (-2)
9-Austintown-Fitch (+3)
10-Medina Highland (+1)
11-Avon Lake (+11)
12-Hudson (-3)
13-Westerville South (+5)
14-Nordonia (+3)
15-Painesville Riverside (+6)
16-Fremont Ross (+9)
17-Anderson (-7)
18-Warren Harding (-3)
19-Olmsted Falls
20-Big Walnut (NR)
21-Green (+3)
22-Columbus DeSales (NR)
23-Solon (-10)
24-Uniontown Lake (NR)
24-North Canton Hoover (-4)
25-Dover (NR)

Last edited:
Walsh has a doozey tonight against McDowell (PA).

Everything I have read from the PA media says that they are quite loaded.

No idea how this 1 plays out tonight.

I would think WJ is definitely the dog tonight. They really need to clean up and develop the passing game (last week was QB1 first start), work on the running game with the RB between the tackles (QB ran well against Bene), figure out how to cover RB's out of the backfield when they are running man press coverage, and continue to develop at the CB position......there were a couple glaring weaknesses against Bene, but obviously a whole season to improve. Also, they will need to improve 4th down conversions.

This game is a nice matchup, will provide great experience for WJ, but ultimately not sure it affects much long-term for the playoff picture. Go ahead and print that statement out now in case it comes back to bite me.

Curious to see how Hoban fares against Cathedral Prep tonight. They have the slight advantage of this being Prep's first game, but they return a ton of experience & skill on the offensive side. Hoban's passing game with the new QB needs to take a positive step, it's not ideal to have to run Sperling into the ground every week.

Saw a few clips on McDowell....they are big on both sides of the ball. Also have a real versatile QB. Good test for Walsh

Saw a few clips on McDowell....they are big on both sides of the ball. Also have a real versatile QB. Good test for Walsh
McDowell has a big Junior OL, Cooper Cousins, who is about 6-6 and 300 pounds. He committed to Penn State shortly after his sophomore season.
This will be a big test for the Warriors.