Boys Basketball Divisions are out

There’s a chance Richmond Heights could move up after adjustments. No chance for SVSM to move down it looks like.

There’s a chance Richmond Heights could move up after adjustments. No chance for SVSM to move down it looks like.
These are the divisions for next year. In the past there has been an appeal period for errors, but no final adjustments. Is there an error that might make them move?

These are the divisions for next year. In the past there has been an appeal period for errors, but no final adjustments. Is there an error that might make them move?
Always a chance. Wouldn’t put it past teams to try to find one to try to move down a division

StV moving to D1 is the best thing that could have happened. They are a D1 basketball school and they are properly assigned. Hopefully this will continue for the foreseeable future.
No complaints from the Irish faithful! Actually, I would have liked to have seen what the Branham/ Harris teams of the past couple of years would have done in D1.

needs to be a 5th division bracket based on some sort of factor. Just spit-balling here:

1) "Large School Division"
2) "Private Division"
3) "Competitive Balance Division"
4) "Recruits like heck Division" - my favorite
5) anything else

Why would Richmond Heights even want to compete in the D4 tournament? What a joke.
They may not, schools don't have a choice except for manipulating their roster to avoid playing kids that would count towards their CB. Their CB is 21 (3 kids) so that is possible

No complaints from the Irish faithful! Actually, I would have liked to have seen what the Branham/ Harris teams of the past couple of years would have done in D1.
I find it a little amusing that Branham is with St V for 4 years and Joyce makes comments that he may be able to help Ohio State in his junior season. After 1 season at Ohio State he is projected as a Lottery Draft pick.
This may be a true indicator of the ability Joyce has in coaching, assessing and developing talent. We ALL know he can recruit, but there is a difference between being able to sell a kid and his parents and being able to develop them. I suppose looking back at some of the top players in the Irish.

I find it a little amusing that Branham is with St V for 4 years and Joyce makes comments that he may be able to help Ohio State in his junior season. After 1 season at Ohio State he is projected as a Lottery Draft pick.
This may be a true indicator of the ability Joyce has in coaching, assessing and developing talent. We ALL know he can recruit, but there is a difference between being able to sell a kid and his parents and being able to develop them. I suppose looking back at some of the top players in the Irish.
So what are you saying? That he does a good job of coaching, assessing and developing talent or that he doesn't?

So a player he coached and help develop into Mr Basketball may be a one and done lottery pick tomorrow but he's just a good recruiter...got it.
A player recruited from Columbus because he was one of the best younger guys in the state. Which was a comment Joyce made in a interview about the player.
To be clear the draft result has nothing to do with Joyce. In his own words the player would not be ready to help OSU until his junior season. HE was not being talked about as an NBA player at all when he left St V. It shows the development of OSU and the players work ethic.

My opinions are my own. But I believe that if a coach is a great coach and developer of talent, then why does he need to make so many efforts in taking players away from other schools? They currently have a CB number of 84. Which indicates their roster is not made from within.

Last edited:
A player recruited from Columbus because he was one of the best younger guys in the state. Which was a comment Joyce made in a interview about the player.
To be clear the draft result has nothing to do with Joyce. In his own words the player would not be ready to help OSU until his junior season. HE was not being talked about as an NBA player at all when he left St V. It shows the development of OSU and the players work ethic.

My opinions are my own. But I believe that if a coach is a great coach and developer of talent, then why does he need to make so many efforts in taking players away from other schools? They currently have a CB number of 84. Which indicates their roster is not made from within.
You understand sarcasm, right ? He was clearly being sarcastic about MB not being able to help Ohio State until he was Junior. MB was the top player in his Class in the State, Mr. Basketball and top 40 player nationally. What effort does Joyce have to exhert to get kids to come to St.V? He's declined taking players, including the best prospsect Ohio has had since Lebron. At this point(and for many years now) St. V draws kids just being who they are.

You understand sarcasm, right ? He was clearly being sarcastic about MB not being able to help Ohio State until he was Junior. MB was the top player in his Class in the State, Mr. Basketball and top 40 player nationally. What effort does Joyce have to exhert to get kids to come to St.V? He's declined taking players, including the best prospsect Ohio has had since Lebron. At this point(and for many years now) St. V draws kids just being who they are.
It's not sarcasm. If you ever spoke with Joyce, the man just doesn't speak in hyperbole. He wasn't going to say Branham was going to take the Big 10 by storm, or that he was a sure fire NBA prospect. That's just not him. I have no idea in what context this statement was made, but I wouldn't have expected anything else from Coach Dru. And to use this quote to discount the growth that Branham showed through his 4 years under Joyce is more than a little silly. Obviously Branham had tremendous talent coming to Maple Street as a freshman. But coaches screw up talent, or fail to develop talent, all the time! And to see Branham's development as a player, as a teammate, as a leader, throughout his 4 years at STVM and to suggest that Joyce had little to nothing to do with it is just unfair.

Last edited:
Now that is funny. It was a press conference interview and he was being sarcastic about one of his players ability on televised news. The comment was before Branham earned Mr Basketball. It was in reference to his commit to OSU a year earlier. Joyce puts great effort into getting kids to St V. He openly admits attending AAU events and talking to kids and their parents about the St V experience. I've seen it first hand. I have my opinions but if you think Joyce never talks to a player until they are already wearing the St V logo you are in denial.