Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Waynedale

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Chippewa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I cannot imagine Ashland bringing too many people as they are not expected to be very good this year. With how dominant Norwayne is every year in the WCAL games, I completely understand them scheduling some bigger schools in their out of conference games. I am not sure how it helps anything to play bad teams though. Norwayne should beat Ashland handily this year. Teams like Norwayne who are going to win at least 6 WCAL games every year can go 0-3 out of the conference and still comfortably make the playoffs under the current setup. Like some of the other posters, I see Norwayne being head and shoulders above the rest of the WCAL this year. They were a solid center away from beating Dalton by 10-14 points last year even though they had mainly juniors playing the key positions. Those bad snaps were the difference in that game IMO.
I agree 100 percent.

Exited to see how much progression Dillion morlock has made and also Jake gill if norwaynes line is solid this year this could
Be very very dangerous

Looks like Dalton, Chippewa, and Rittman are all in D6 R21. Northwestern is in D6 R22. Smithville, Waynedale, and Norwayne go to D5 R17. Hillsdale will be D7 R25.

Last edited:
Looks like Dalton, Chippewa, and Rittman are all in D6 R21. Northwestern is in D6 R22. Smithville, Waynedale, and Norwayne go to G5 R17. Hillsdale will be D7 R25.
View of R17. For Norwayne fans - good news is you finally get away from NM Sprinfield (after Brungard graduates), bad news is now there's South Range to deal with. They're the team that pounded the Brungard Springfield teams in regular season and have been good since Noah's boat dried off.

That aside, you could make a really fun "local" league out of this region - Fairless, Garaway, Manchester, Norwayne, Orrville, Sandy Valley, Smithville, Triway, Waynedale.
1655207327644.png

Definitely going to be someone from Norwayne… dalton is gonna be down, Hillsdale is the most overrated football team in Ohio, and the rest of the conference is joke
I hope Norwayne continues to look up with the groups of kids we have seems like there’s always another class that steps up

Fun to see. Hillsdale as well.
Talked about this a few years back on the way to see a Hillsdale playoff game with a buddy. "If we told the 15 year old versions of us that Norwayne & Hillsdale would consistently be some of the best teams in WCAL they'd think they would be growing up to be full on drug addicts"

Talked about this a few years back on the way to see a Hillsdale playoff game with a buddy. "If we told the 15 year old versions of us that Norwayne & Hillsdale would consistently be some of the best teams in WCAL they'd think they would be growing up to be full on drug addicts"
Maybe the same will be said about Rittman 15-20 years from now! hmmm..........probably not lol ?

For sure, Hillsdale and Norwayne were horrendous in most of their history. Both had extremely small rosters in the 90s. The wcal was waynedale, Smithville, Dalton consistently, with Rittman popping in here and there with a few good teams (early 90s come to mind especially for Rittman). You have to give Hillsdale and Norwayne credit for changing that history. Dalton is still at the top, but the cats and falcons have replaced the smithies and bears in the race for quite a while now. I expect the wcl to go Norwayne, Dalton. Hillsdale, I’m that order this season. I dont see anyone else threatening

Last edited:
^^Agreed Smithville and Waynedale have really struggled to be a constant contender over the past 10/15 years. Not sure anything will change? Waynedale brings in a new coach and Smithville we will see in the next year if they get it figured out with the 2nd year coach.

^^Agreed Smithville and Waynedale have really struggled to be a constant contender over the past 10/15 years. Not sure anything will change? Waynedale brings in a new coach and Smithville we will see in the next year if they get it figured out with the 2nd year coach.
There was a 20-30 year period where Dalton, Smithville or Waynedale won 90% of the titles. Another team would sneak in once in awhile (Rittman under Long in 80's & early 90s had some good years), but mostly those 3. It might be just me, but if you add the time Shrock (Smithville) and Ramsey (Dalton) coached you've got 50 some years. They weren't fancy or inventive, they were just tough coaches who coached tough teams so long that the kids in their communities grew up knowing no other way to play.

Why mention that? You can look at what Hillsdale (Coach Williams) and Norwayne (Harbour to Indorf) have done - get the right guy, be patient, and watch them build something special. You could even throw Thut (Northwestern) in there too. They were AWFUL for decades but he made them consistently competitive.

Unique players/groups of players will change the course of a season or two, but the stability of the coach & staff will be what makes teams consistent winners in areas as small and rural as the WCAL

There was a 20-30 year period where Dalton, Smithville or Waynedale won 90% of the titles. Another team would sneak in once in awhile (Rittman under Long in 80's & early 90s had some good years), but mostly those 3. It might be just me, but if you add the time Shrock (Smithville) and Ramsey (Dalton) coached you've got 50 some years. They weren't fancy or inventive, they were just tough coaches who coached tough teams so long that the kids in their communities grew up knowing no other way to play.

Why mention that? You can look at what Hillsdale (Coach Williams) and Norwayne (Harbour to Indorf) have done - get the right guy, be patient, and watch them build something special. You could even throw Thut (Northwestern) in there too. They were AWFUL for decades but he made them consistently competitive.

Unique players/groups of players will change the course of a season or two, but the stability of the coach & staff will be what makes teams consistent winners in areas as small and rural as the WCAL
I am all for giving coaches chances, don't get me wrong. It just feels in today's world it is a "what have you done for us lately" mentality, and coaches get the hook to soon. Or coaches get tired of dealing with parents and leave or step down. It is a different world now a days, kids feel more intitled than ever.
How do we fix that? I agree you get a coach in there to install his style and beliefs with the support of the administration behind them. Then when parents want to challenge the coach, they have support and a backing from administration. It all sounds good, but then there is reality.

I am all for giving coaches chances, don't get me wrong. It just feels in today's world it is a "what have you done for us lately" mentality, and coaches get the hook to soon. Or coaches get tired of dealing with parents and leave or step down. It is a different world now a days, kids feel more intitled than ever.
How do we fix that? I agree you get a coach in there to install his style and beliefs with the support of the administration behind them. Then when parents want to challenge the coach, they have support and a backing from administration. It all sounds good, but then there is reality.
Some coaches that are 3-7 or 5-5 deserve coach of the year honors way more than the coach in the final 4 who just happened to have "dudes." But all those factors listed above give perception that said coach is not the right fit, and a loser.

Norwayne and Dalton are premiere programs who did it the right way. I've coached against both. They are physical, tough nosed communities. We have always had trouble imitating Norwayne's size in practice, and Dalton's line of scrimmage in practice. Both will kill you if you're not ready for it on play one.

Some coaches that are 3-7 or 5-5 deserve coach of the year honors way more than the coach in the final 4 who just happened to have "dudes." But all those factors listed above give perception that said coach is not the right fit, and a loser.

Norwayne and Dalton are premiere programs who did it the right way. I've coached against both. They are physical, tough nosed communities. We have always had trouble imitating Norwayne's size in practice, and Dalton's line of scrimmage in practice. Both will kill you if you're not ready for it on play one.
Who did you help coach for ?

Thank you. I'm really excited to watch your team this year. It seems like you always have some tailback that looks like Reggie Bush. If you have any in 7th or 8th grade that are extra, send them my way!
Yeah I am to ! Bad thing is this coming year there might be two of them at once that look like that lol… as long as the line is solid again. And I’m sure you guys have them to maybe there just not playing football ?!

It's a fine line between "this guy is building something" and "he aint got it". Of course the "He didn't use Johnny right" folks will never make things easy and there's more of them today than ever.

It also may shock some folks that history didn't begin when Al Gore invented the internet. Tried looking up Dalton & Smithville historical records and discovered the Ramsey coached 4 years at Dalton and Schrock 8 at Smithville (Thanks for trying Maxpreps). Wanted to see if I could prove what I heard that neither of them was more than a few games over .500 their first 3-4 seasons.

Anyhow, think everyone will agree that world would be a better place if the Burlington Bobcats were a thing:
  • In 1953, Norwayne was created with the merger of Burbank, Creston, and Sterling. The original proposed name for the district was 'Burlington' (BURbank, SterLING, and CresTON), but residents preferred the acronym for "Northern Wayne" County. They chose the nickname 'Bobcats.'[2]