St. Edward 2022-23

This is always an issue and speaking from experience, it takes a full commitment of an entire family to make it work. I drove 45 minutes each way (no traffic) to get my son to St. Edward HS every day for 4 years. Also note, you may be the 2nd best kid in the state and not make varsity. With that said, you go for the education and then the athletic coaching. My son graduated with a 4.2 gpa with High Honors in their International Baccalaureate program. (proud Dad!) I stand as a perfect example of “ You may not have a varsity Senior “ I didn’t. He’s a great young man, and heck of an athlete. You learn how to be humble!!!!
Joe, Mason was a great young man and a pleasure to be around. He was a big reason Ed’s won a state team title and if at any other school would of been a 3 or 4 year state placer. As you said the most important part was the education he received and the life lessons he learned. Be proud of the young man you raised.

This is always an issue and speaking from experience, it takes a full commitment of an entire family to make it work. I drove 45 minutes each way (no traffic) to get my son to St. Edward HS every day for 4 years. Also note, you may be the 2nd best kid in the state and not make varsity. With that said, you go for the education and then the athletic coaching. My son graduated with a 4.2 gpa with High Honors in their International Baccalaureate program. (proud Dad!) I stand as a perfect example of “ You may not have a varsity Senior “ I didn’t. He’s a great young man, and heck of an athlete. You learn how to be humble!!!!
"Most" kids who would get to the state finals , Ed's finds a way to get them in the lineup, if they're that good. I would expect their national resume is pretty high also if that were the case. Placers who dont make the lineup certainly is legit fairly often. But agreed the Ed's system in the wrestling room and educationally certainly has benefits many others don't. I'll add that that wrestler forced to sit the bench has to really BUY ALL IN to the programs benefits. Thats hard to do sometimes and not ALL kids like, or can handle the grind, with out seeing the payout while a student.

Last edited:
Massillon Perry

106: E.McBurney
113: Warwick
120: Dulcie
126: A.McBurney
132: Curtis
138: Geckler
144: Johnson
150: Giltz
157: Stutler
165: ???
175: Klintworth
190: Ristoff
215: Millin
285: Fockler

Ideally, Perry needs a few guys to grow and spread out. They have incoming JH state placers Seibert (90), Montgomery (96) and Plotts (126) that might be squeezed out of the lineup.
Just curious Boro, what would Perry's lineup look like in your opinion if the Rohr's ended up at Perry? Also heard but not yet confirmed that Logan Shepard's brother may transfer in, he's probably in the 175-190lb range

Just curious Boro, what would Perry's lineup look like in your opinion if the Rohr's ended up at Perry? Also heard but not yet confirmed that Logan Shepard's brother may transfer in, he's probably in the 175-190lb range
If the Rohr’s end up at Perry, I would pencil Mason in at 113. That would likely cause another notable wrestler to sit the bench (Perry had a few this past season as well).

I would guess rohr cuts to 106, he cuts some pretty good weight usually in the national tournies. Plus probably makes their lineup stronger

I would guess rohr cuts to 106, he cuts some pretty good weight usually in the national tournies. Plus probably makes their lineup stronger
You may be right, but McBurney didn’t cut any weight last year to make 106 and just weighed-in at 103.8 for the qualifier at Uniontown, while Rohr weighed-in at 112.6 at Delta last week. This may be a moot point, as I hear it is now down to Ed’s and Wadsworth (just what I heard though).

Last edited:
What is the freestyle season looking like for the Ed’s guy. I haven’t really been following that close and would love to see some wrestling.

I believe the Eagles will be taking roughly 15 wrestlers to Fargo. Largest number I can remember in some time.
thats a great sign (and if Brecksville is sending alot too thats even better for ohio). Seen many a guy make dramatic improvement over the summer . (Disney duals-- Fargo camp especially --and just going to Fargo). Good wrestlers being around the best ones rubs off many times. Seen it time & again. New attitudes, habits, "that can be me" revelations.

i dont go anymore but when late July comes around i miss Fargo , i miss it all, lol, the flies, the smell. the heat, big sky country, gung-ho, :love: the joy, esp the kids who break through, all the college coaches, ---- elite kid on elite kid, my rep vs yours, afterwards lets trade singlets, where else?.

thats a great sign (and if Brecksville is sending alot too thats even better for ohio). Seen many a guy make dramatic improvement over the summer . (Disney duals-- Fargo camp especially --and just going to Fargo). Good wrestlers being around the best ones rubs off many times. Seen it time & again. New attitudes, habits, "that can be me" revelations.

i dont go anymore but when late July comes around i miss Fargo , i miss it all, lol, the flies, the smell. the heat, big sky country, gung-ho, :love: the joy, esp the kids who break through, all the college coaches, ---- elite kid on elite kid, my rep vs yours, afterwards lets trade singlets, where else?.
Fargo unfortunately isn't, may never be, what it once was. It tailed off after Buxton left Blair, and St Eds didnt have the same talent they did in the late 90's..early 2000 for quite a while. There were other factors of course...and you had a kid here or there who would do well, but Ohio was always a top 3 contender year after year after year.

Fargo Cadets is as pretty much tough as ever...... Fargo Junior Ntls not quite as tough or deep mainly for Two reasons, mostly not related to Blair nor to st Eds on a national scale.

Heres the 2 main reasons: Rule change about 8-9 years ago, recruits can start their Scholarship by enrolling in Summer session, meaning June. So ohio state owns Bouzakis,, Feldman and Mendez and Geog now and FARGO is out of the picture for most top graduated Seniors. This rule change was done for football but effects all sports.

about the same time Jr Ntls enlarged # evened out the number of wt classes from about 12 to about 16. (not sure of my numbers but # of classes was enlarged, that is fact.

As tom Ryan told me "Ohio is down now" --- i know CLeveland area esp Cuyahoga County is down alot from 20-30-40-50 years ago. Thats why ohio st has set up a residence at Young Guns in PA. Same as Tom Brands has.

Also, the holdbacks are aged out! Holding back has some negatives to it. One being no fargo your sr year
? I know of MANY 18 year old seniors turning nineteen after the season who competed in Fargo. Maybe you're talking of double "hold backs" which are extremely rare.

JUNIOR DIVISION: Athletes shall be considered eligible to compete in Junior Division competitions if he/she is currently attending high school, or participating in a program considered by the State's Department of Education to be fulfilling the athlete's requirements for graduation from an accredited high school program, or if a summer event, attended high school, or participated in a program considered by the State's Department of Education to be fulfilling the athlete's requirements for graduation from an accredited high school program the Spring semester just prior to the summer event. In addition, the athlete has only four consecutive years to compete in the Junior Division once his/her class begins the ninth grade. Only wrestlers born September 1, 2001 and later who were enrolled in grades 9-12 during the 2021 spring semester are eligible. No wrestler who was enrolled in 8th grade during the 2021 spring semester will be allowed to enter. Any such wrestler who enters or competes will be penalized by forfeiting his/her eligibility in the next year's event in both styles.

Also, the holdbacks are aged out! Holding back has some negatives to it. One being no fargo your sr year

MP, you also have this:

* Born 9/1/2002 & after, plus enrolled in grades 9-12

So, you would need to be a two year holdback to be ineligible...those wrestlers who were born between March (after the state tournament date) and Aug 31, 2002 would be the ineligible ones.