Elizabeth Whaley 4:49.11(now 4:39.71 All-Time State & Cincy record @ Regional)

I'll always think of Bridget when "greatest day ever" is mentioned as well. Don't forget she also ran on the winning 4x800 relay the day before.
She and teammate Cassie Schenck had a hand in something like 56 points. Truly a memorable weekend.

She and teammate Cassie Schenck had a hand in something like 56 points. Truly a memorable weekend.
Btw folks, a relatively new name to watch out for is Jaylee Wingate of Norwayne. Now a junior, her PRs a year ago were 5:19 and 2:24. She ran 4:54 and 2:11 Saturday, winning both DII regionals at Austintown Fitch. I can't recall such a dramatic trajectory of improvement. She defeated last year's state runner-up, Malena Cybak, in the 800 by 1.5 seconds. Whether she can yet compete with Whaley is a probable long shot, but her rate of improvement is downright scary.

Whaley's best 1600m time (4:39.71) is 1st on Ohio all time rankings, Franek's best time 4:45.68 has her sixth

Last edited:
Whaley's best 1600m time (4:39.71) is 1st on Ohio all time rankings, Franek's best time 4:45.68 has her sixth
What's interesting with Bridget is that her parents and she hatched the plan over the winter, so she almost always ran all three races, and had to do they energy budgeting thing. I don't think they ever really found out what she was capable of in any one race.

Where can I find that list?
Btw, Franek's 4:45 1,600 was at the state meet her junior year. She was certainly capable of a much faster time her senior year. What's truly amazing is her 10:16 3,200 was at districts her senior year, her 3rd event of the day! Think of that, a state DII record that has lasted 16 years, and was her 3rd event, just 15-20 minutes after her 2nd event.

Where can I find that list?
Ask and you shall receive. Here's my current list of sub 4:50 1600m performers/performances. One list is 1600m only races, the other a combined relative list taking into account conversions by 0.9942 multiplier. The 1600 meter only list is official for ranking/record purposes. The combined list shows relative rankings.

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Women - Combined 1600 meters & Mile - sub-4m50sec.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Women - 1600 meters only - sub-4m50sec.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
Franek's 4:45.68 set a DI all time state record which she held until 2007 when Infield ran her 4:41.37 her junior year. Franek's high school was DI at that time before dropping to DII for Franek's senior year in 2006. In that 2005 race, Franek beat Infield who was second as a freshman.

Last edited:
There is no guarantee that Franek could have run faster without having to ease up as you put it her senior year. Infield ran her record time her junior year, never got within 6 seconds of that time her senior year and didn't run the 3200 either year. Btw, Infield ran in the 2016 Olympics where she finished 11th in the 10,000 meters in 31:26.74

Last edited:
I'll call myself out on this one. I have the wrong year for Whaley on her 4:39.71. It is from 2022, of course. I've corrected that in my spreadsheet and will repost later.

There is no guarantee that Franek could have run faster without having to ease up as you put it her senior year. Infield ran her record time her junior year, never got within 6 seconds of that time her senior year and didn't run the 3200 either year. Btw, Infield ran in the 2016 Olympics where she finished 11th in the 10,000 meters in 31:26.74

Franek's 4:45.68 set a DI all time state record which she held until 2007 when Infield ran her 4:41.37 her junior year. Franek's high school was DI at that time before dropping to DII for Franek's senior year in 2006. In that 2005 race, Franek beat Infield who was second as a freshman.

Emily and Bridget are both personal friends of mine. I was at the 2012 Olympic trials with both of them, and the London Olympics with Bridget. I know their histories quite well, thank you. I suppose it's why their and others memories being included is important to me.

As to Bridget not improving on her junior best of 4:45, we'll never know for sure. But for me, it's hard to imagine that she wasn't significantly faster her senior year, given her still-standing 10:16 3,200 record, her 2nd state record and 3rd championship of the day. She was a beast as a junior; she was many times that beast as a senior.

Bridget is aware of what Whaley is doing and is cheering her on from Oregon. May Elizabeth have her greatest day yet Saturday.

Emily and Bridget are both personal friends of mine. I was at the 2012 Olympic trials with both of them, and the London Olympics with Bridget. I know their histories quite well, thank you. I suppose it's why their and others memories being included is important to me.

As to Bridget not improving on her junior best of 4:45, we'll never know for sure. But for me, it's hard to imagine that she wasn't significantly faster her senior year, given her still-standing 10:16 3,200 record, her 2nd state record and 3rd championship of the day. She was a beast as a junior; she was many times that beast as a senior.

Bridget is aware of what Whaley is doing and is cheering her on from Oregon. May Elizabeth have her greatest day yet Saturday.
My bad. Here 10:16 was at districts, a state DII record. She ran 10:43, a state meet record 2 weeks later at Jesse Owens. The point is the 10:16 at districts was also her 3rd race of the day. Can we imagine the 1,600 she had inside of her that day, had she not been intentionally holding back as she prepped herself to win 3 state titles on the same day 2 weeks later.

I have no connection with Elizabeth, her family or her school. Now CJ Robinson is a different story. I had a running club in the late 70s-early 80s where we took kids all over the country to compete in regional and national competitions. Connie ran for my club and she was in Cheyenne, Wyoming in December 1980 for the AAU National Junior Olympics where she finished fifth. Now the Kinney Shoe National High School Championship was a different story. She won that race her senior year in 1981. Connie's sister Jill and brother Ricky also ran with my club. Her sister Jill was on our team that won the TAC/USA Junior Natonals at Penn State University in 1983.

The night before Elizabeth bested Emily Infield's DI state record, Infield was in Eugene, Oregon running the 10000m run at the Prefontaine Classic which was the USA qualifier for this year's World Athletics competition being held on US soil for the first time ever. Emily came oh so close to making Team USA. Top three finishers qualified and Emily got edged out for third. I shed a tear for Emily making a valient effort and coming up short by this razor thin margain.
Women’s 10,000m Final
1 Karissa SCHWEIZER USA 30:49.56
2 Alicia MONSON USA 30:51.09
3 Natosha ROGERS USA 31:29.80
4 Emily INFELD USA 31:30.04

1654078898945.png

The night before Elizabeth bested Emily Infield's DI state record, Infield was in Eugene, Oregon running the 10000m run at the Prefontaine Classic which was the USA qualifier for this year's World Athletics competition being held on US soil for the first time ever. Emily came oh so close to making Team USA. Top three finishers qualified and Emily got edged out for third. I shed a tear for Emily making a valient effort and coming up short by this razor thin margain.
Women’s 10,000m Final

View attachment 30232
I'm sure it's a big disappointment to not make another national team, especially at home. I'm thrilled and amazed that she is still running so well, (and therefore obviously healthy) and so close to her personal best at the age of 32. In my mind she's still a kid, still Maggie's little sister, still the little girl from Beaumont. Emmy's had a remarkable career.

I'm sure it's a big disappointment to not make another national team, especially at home. I'm thrilled and amazed that she is still running so well, (and therefore obviously healthy) and so close to her personal best at the age of 32. In my mind she's still a kid, still Maggie's little sister, still the little girl from Beaumont. Emmy's had a remarkable career.
Women’s 10,000m Final

View attachment 30232
Btw, I had a really fun interview on my radio show with Elizabeth this afternoon. Fun kid. Easy to cheer for. Also had on a few of her challengers for Saturday. She and they are all ready to put on a show. I'm curious to see whether Jaylee Wingate can give her a push, or whether by next year she can also go sub-4:40. And for the record, if anyone was wondering, Elizabeth Whaley will not turn 18 till late July. She sure has a bright future. And I won't be surprised if she breaks her own new record Saturday. Look for a 63 second first lap! That's what she said.

Btw, I had a really fun interview on my radio show with Elizabeth this afternoon. Fun kid. Easy to cheer for. Also had on a few of her challengers for Saturday. She and they are all ready to put on a show. I'm curious to see whether Jaylee Wingate can give her a push, or whether by next year she can also go sub-4:40. And for the record, if anyone was wondering, Elizabeth Whaley will not turn 18 till late July. She sure has a bright future. And I won't be surprised if she breaks her own new record Saturday. Look for a 63 second first lap! That's what she said.
She is running on Indian Hill's 4 x 4 relay for her 4th event of the meet

When I watched her 1600m at regional, she got out to a fast first lap, then pretty maintained that seven second advantage over Hartman the rest of the race.

Whaley takes the state championship in 4:43.31, breaking Sammy Bockoven's DII state meet record of 4:49.53 from 2014.

Looking forward to that 800 with Jaylee Wingate(she was 3rd in 1600, also under Bockoven's old record)

Whaley takes the state championship in 4:43.31, breaking Sammy Bockoven's DII state meet record of 4:49.53 from 2014.
DESPITE a major-league stumble & FALL at the top of turn 1 on the final lap. Had about a 3-4 second gap on Hartman at that point, but was able to get up again and keep the lead. Way to go Ms. Whaley.

Just a terrific 800. Alexa Fortman of Glandorf breaks DII state record in 1st(2;08.60), with Whaley right on her heels, also under old state record. As usual Whaley took them out at a brutal pace(62.22), which made that record happen.

With Whaley's combination of 400 speed and 1600 strength I'd love to see her run a fresh 800. I'm thinking 2:06(at least).

Just a terrific 800. Alexa Fortman of Glandorf breaks DII state record in 1st(2;08.60), with Whaley right on her heels, also under old state record. As usual Whaley took them out at a brutal pace(62.22), which made that record happen.

With Whaley's combination of 400 speed and 1600 strength I'd love to see her run a fresh 800. I'm thinking 2:06(at least).
Anyone ever successfully complete the 400-800 double at state as Fortman just did? Incredible race all around. My county record just got broken and only placed 4th in that race, and my county is not bad at this sport.

I'll go 2:04-2:05 for her, if they focus her on the 800

Anyone ever successfully complete the 400-800 double at state as Fortman just did? Incredible race all around. My county record just got broken and only placed 4th in that race, and my county is not bad at this sport.
Has there been any 800 with 4 runners under 2:10 before? DI only had 1 such runner today.

I listened to a motivaltional speech once by Craig Virgin. One thing that stuck with me was his saying you have to visualize yourself winning the race. That is what Elizabeth Whalen #2 appears to be doing before her 1600m race. Photo courtesy of Shane Flanigan for ThisWeek
1654397432290.png