Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

Quality plus quantity. Depends on you goals. You had better be doing your individual workout daily if the next level is your goal.

Is he a Motion kid? If not, Centerville might not be the place.
Having a little trouble following your double negatives. What are you saying about the motion offense? It requires high IQ and good reactions. If he's a good player, I'm sure he'll love motion offense, along with all of the other offenses and sets that get run at Centerville.

Quality plus quantity. Depends on you goals. You had better be doing your individual workout daily if the next level is your goal.

Is he a Motion kid? If not, Centerville might not be the place.
Having a little trouble following your double negatives. What are you saying about the motion offense? It requires high IQ and good reactions. If he's a good player, I'm sure he'll love motion offense, along with all of the other offenses and sets that get run at Centerville.
Please don’t, they full over there.

Is this the beginning of the new thread where the Springboro faithful begin the criticism of Brian Bales? Best of luck coach and let's hope it doesn't become 8 coaches in 11 or 12 years.

Yeah, good luck to Coach Bales. Best of luck to him in changing the culture of running coaches out of Springboro.

No slight intended. Some players are better when they are ball dominant, pick and role types, or strong in transition. Motion offense peaked when Knight was at Indiana and slowly faded sense. Doesn’t mean that’s not great offense. Most kids don’t grow up now a days playing Motion basketball.

The advantage of talent, might be the seen in the rhythm of the game and the way players play. Slowing it down to keep the game in the 35-45 point range was not taking advantage of the talent and their best skill sets. Players who play best in rhythm do not do well standing around or just predictably passing the ball around the arc.

The advantage of talent, might be the seen in the rhythm of the game and the way players play. Slowing it down to keep the game in the 35-45 point range was not taking advantage of the talent and their best skill sets. Players who play best in rhythm do not do well standing around or just predictably passing the ball around the arc.
Springboro point per game average the last 5 years per GWOC website:
2022 - 55
2021 - 45
2020 - 55
2019 - 56
2018 - 56

That is pretty close to average to above average scoring in today's HS game.

Springboro point per game average the last 5 years per GWOC website:
2022 - 55
2021 - 45
2020 - 55
2019 - 56
2018 - 56

That is pretty close to average to above average scoring in today's HS game.
In relation to other GWOC teams, starting with 2022 and going back: 7/8, 8/8, 5/10, 15/20, 13/20 so definitely not middle of the pack in own conference.

In relation to other GWOC teams, starting with 2022 and going back: 7/8, 8/8, 5/10, 15/20, 13/20 so definitely not middle of the pack in own conference.
Did you peak at the actual ppg? 7th out of 8 last season:
4th Wayne 58.4
5th Springfield 56.6
6th Miamisburg 55
7th Springboro 54.8

Two buckets a game from being the 4th highest scoring offense, far from "Slowing it down to keep the game in the 35-45 point range" which is what I was responding to

2021 is the outlier, but scoring 55ppg has to be pretty close to average for D1/D2 schools

Did you peak at the actual ppg? 7th out of 8 last season:
4th Wayne 58.4
5th Springfield 56.6
6th Miamisburg 55
7th Springboro 54.8

Two buckets a game from being the 4th highest scoring offense, far from "Slowing it down to keep the game in the 35-45 point range" which is what I was responding to

2021 is the outlier, but scoring 55ppg has to be pretty close to average for D1/D2 schools
Being at the bottom of just about every meaningful stat in a below average conference is not much to brag about.

Being at the bottom of just about every meaningful stat in a below average conference is not much to brag about.
Definitely wasn't suggesting Boro fans brag, was just refuting the original point that they slowed it down in years past and they weren't far off from the rest of the league in stats.

But the thought that the GWOC is a below average league is silly. They sent three teams to regionals last season and Centerville has been in the state finals the last two years. You can make an argument they are top heavy, but that is normal for HS basketball leagues.

I have seen the argument on here multiple times that Bales had the best athletes while at Franklin, therefore he won a lot of games in the SWBL and many SWBL titles. It will be interesting to see how he fares at Springboro. Springboro has some really talented players, don't get me wrong, but not the best athletes in the GWOC.

Case in point: Flashback to when Bales had Kennard's Franklin teams. Kennard was obviously the best guy in UD arena surrounded by a very good supporting cast, but the better athletes of Dayton Public Schools came out victorious. We can also argue that Bales was outcoached in a couple of those games that Franklin had legit chances to win state.

How are they worse than last year? Get Trotwood starting PG from last year, only player those lose was Feldman and still can't win. Guess the coach doesn't matter that much until parents and administration gets a grip. Bales not the savior everyone thought.
Greer, the leading scorer from last year, hasn't played since early December. They weren't winning before he got hurt but just correcting your statement they only lost Feldman.

Again, you are in safe hands with Bales, knows how to run a team. They will be as good as their talent is or better I will add. Each month of a calendar year he knows what a program should be doing.

Again, you are in safe hands with Bales, knows how to run a team. They will be as good as their talent is or better I will add. Each month of a calendar year he knows what a program should be doing.

Well he has some talent the calendar says January what month does his calendar say it is time to win some games?

Well he has some talent the calendar says January what month does his calendar say it is time to win some games?
"Now I don't care who you are, that's funny!" Good ole Larry the Cable Guy

Definitely left Franklin because he saw the writing on the wall with their lack of talent. See SWBL thread...

On paper, the talent is there in Springboro. On paper, the wins are not there. You make your own connections.

"Now I don't care who you are, that's funny!" Good ole Larry the Cable Guy

Definitely left Franklin because he saw the writing on the wall with their lack of talent. See SWBL thread...

On paper, the talent is there in Springboro. On paper, the wins are not there. You make your own connections.
I'd argue Springboro is better than their record would indicate. I'm basing that on their game scores. They aren't top tier, but I do see them as a middle of the pack team at tournament time, regardless of what the final record may indicate.

Does he really know how to run a team or did he benefit from having a NBA player around that sparked other kids to play for a while

I'd argue Springboro is better than their record would indicate. I'm basing that on their game scores. They aren't top tier, but I do see them as a middle of the pack team at tournament time, regardless of what the final record may indicate.
Not seeing the logic. Even if they lose all the rest of their games? A middle-of-the-pack team should win close to half of their games. And some of their close games. 1-5 in GWOC with a win against a really down Springfield team. At best 2-5 first time around in conference if they beat the other last place team Miamisburg. But they did keep within 50 of Centerville.

Not seeing the logic. Even if they lose all the rest of their games? A middle-of-the-pack team should win close to half of their games. And some of their close games. 1-5 in GWOC with a win against a really down Springfield team. At best 2-5 first time around in conference if they beat the other last place team Miamisburg. But they did keep within 50 of Centerville.
I'm just saying, I don't believe they are as bad as their record would indicate. I do think they are a middle of the pack team and could win some games come tournament time.

I'm just saying, I don't believe they are as bad as their record would indicate. I do think they are a middle of the pack team and could win some games come tournament time.
I get it. They've come close a few times based on final scores but I don't know if the games were that close or maybe even closer. Good coaches figure out how to win their share of those games. Let's check in again later to see if your feelings hold true regarding wins and tournament success. Without some wins they will be overmatched earlier in tourney.

Last edited:
I get it. They've come close a few times based on final scores but I sure I don't know if the games were that close or maybe even closer. Good coaches figure out how to win their share of those games. Let's check in again later to see if your feelings hold true regarding wins and tournament success. Without some wins they will be overmatched earlier in tourney.
Speaking of that, outside of Centerville and maybe Wayne who else is dominate in Dayton? Fairmont? Dayton gets 3 sectionals. That leaves a third sectional up for grabs. Maybe a team like Springboro could mess around and win that sectional.

Speaking of that, outside of Centerville and maybe Wayne who else is dominate in Dayton? Fairmont? Dayton gets 3 sectionals. That leaves a third sectional up for grabs. Maybe a team like Springboro could mess around and win that sectional.
In d1 its
Centerville

everyone else

Agree that middle of the pack GWOC has a great chance to play for a district title with how big the gap between the GWOC and MVL usually seems to be.

I would think that at least 3-6 in the GWOC will end up in the same bracket after Centerville and Wayne slot. Maybe even the 7th and 8th place teams in the standings unless they prefer a fairly open path to getting hammered by Wayne to determine the district finalist in that given bracket.