Mentor Football 2022

Vernon seemed to have a less than expected season, reading from the posts last year. Do you attribute that to the 3-4 formation or lack of skill improvement?
It is pretty unfair for me to act like I have the answers. I'm not coaching. I'm not Vernon or in his circle. But here is my best shot at it.

The results (or lack thereof) spoke for themselves. For people who watched his games somewhat regularly, you didn't see an impact player. For someone as highly recruited as Vernon, that is incredibly surprising. It is easy and convenient to blame it on defensive coaching. They are certainly part of the issue. I think the 3-4 formation has been a gigantic blunder. I believe that the defensive coaching staff has no trust in themselves or their players to be in any defense that could further expose their longstanding weak secondary preparation. So I think their solution to the problem is to have 8 guys instead of 7 in the second and third line of defense, which allows the possibility of another linebacker in coverage. But this has proven to be a huge mistake. Take advantage of your best bullet, so to speak. Put Vernon on a four man front, and I think you will see better results.

But even if the defensive coaching sucks and the scheme is awful (which I personally believe are accurate) - an elite national recruit should stand out and make plays despite all of that. Vernon didn't. His play was equally effective as when he first stepped on the field as a freshman.

If I recall, Potter was somewhat disappointing as a junior before having a monster senior season. Same may hold true for Vernon, who apparently has gotten even bigger in the offseason and appears headed for the interior at the next level.

As for Potter, I thought he had a number of quality reps in the spring game and expected him to be in the rotation this year. But if he can land a starting gig somewhere then more power to him. Very hard to crack the staring lineup at OSU with how national they've gone with recruiting. Only a handful of Ohioans are even getting offers these days.

The recruiters for major universities are still frequenting the program regularly and in large numbers. This is really goof for the program as it boosts the confidence of the players and of course, may potentially afford some the opportunity to play after high school. It also illustrates the fact the Mentor has historically, and will going forward, seen talented players go through the program.

If I recall, Potter was somewhat disappointing as a junior before having a monster senior season. Same may hold true for Vernon, who apparently has gotten even bigger in the offseason and appears headed for the interior at the next level.

As for Potter, I thought he had a number of quality reps in the spring game and expected him to be in the rotation this year. But if he can land a starting gig somewhere then more power to him. Very hard to crack the staring lineup at OSU with how national they've gone with recruiting. Only a handful of Ohioans are even getting offers these days.
Potter was a starter on the team that was a state runner-up in 2017. Yes, that team (including the defensive line) did get steamrolled by Pickerington Central. But my memory of Potter that season was still a good showing. During the first four playoff wins, Mentor's defense held their opponents to a total of 72 points, which is an average of 18 per game. By Mentor defensive standards, that was an incredibly strong showing. They beat Stow, St Eds, St Ignatius, and Olentangy Liberty. He was 2nd Team All-Ohio, so I say he was pretty good.

Tom Strobel (2010-2012), Noah Potter (2016-2018), and Vernon (2019-2022) are the three most highly recruited defensive players at Mentor in quite some time. All were three year starters (or four in the case of Vernon) at defensive end. Michigan (Strobel), Ohio State (Potter), and Notre Dame (Vernon) are an impressive resume. Neither Strobel (Ohio U) or Potter (currently in the transfer portal) finished at their first school. Vernon has a ways to go to be in a position to be an impact player at a school like Notre Dame. But maybe with much better coaching and scheme, not to mention a new position on the inside, he can be pretty effective in college.

It's the ohsaa moron. You can't even get that right . "Mine time..". If you even went to eds, you had to be an athlete with your lack of even remedial English skills

Remember your meet the coaches night which was obviously recruiting ? Got off with a 500 dollar fine

It isn't bs that you have boosters pay for athletes. How about this. Let's trace the money of all the football athletes and see how they paid tuition. Open it up if you have nothing to hide. Of course you guys wouldn't dare

Eds boosters have shown up trying to recruit middle school kids in mentor plenty. Sure it's happened elsewhere too. You guys have no shame.

I don't care about your opinion of me. You don't matter. You came into our thread and wanted to start stuff after you didn't get a glowing answer on us wanting to play eds. I already said this in my last post. Your school runs a scumbag football program. No honor in winning operating like they do.

I didn't come into the eds thread.
Maybe they just wanna win state titles ??‍♂️

mentor has completely ignored defense for going on 15 plus years now , it’s Ohio we play in bad weather and snow running a wide open offense doesn’t work all the time. Honestly triv had the dam number 1 pick in the draft and still couldn’t win a title , dude choked every year , now you have an even lesser coach. You can hate on St Ed’s all you want but it’s a great series for both teams period.

Maybe they just wanna win state titles ??‍♂️

mentor has completely ignored defense for going on 15 plus years now , it’s Ohio we play in bad weather and snow running a wide open offense doesn’t work all the time. Honestly triv had the dam number 1 pick in the draft and still couldn’t win a title , dude choked every year , now you have an even lesser coach. You can hate on St Ed’s all you want but it’s a great series for both teams period.
It's easy to win titles building your team like Eds. You guys just "choked " for decades squandering that advantage before getting on track

Also Trubisky was the second overall pick but I'm sure facts don't matter to dopes like you.

Mentor has had chances sure. We had many good times despite not winning it all. We also watched those games from our seats just like you did. Luckily we don't get our self esteem from high school kids accomplishments as we watch.

Eds can win 10 more in a row and they wont get my respect or many others as well. Said the same before they won it all. Dirtiest scumbag program in the state.

Now run along to your thread which we don't post in to troll like you guys do here. We aren't your on your schedule and I'm happy with that

FYI
Per Coach Gray: We are excited to announce registration for the 2022 Mitch Trubisky Youth Camp is now open! Camp will be June 13-15 at the Mentor High School Soccer Stadium from 10 am-1 pm. Please visit: http://mentorredline.com for registration information under the 2022 Youth Camp tab.
Good to see him continuing to give back to the community. Class act. Hate that he's a Steeler now

It's easy to win titles building your team like Eds. You guys just "choked " for decades squandering that advantage before getting on track

Also Trubisky was the second overall pick but I'm sure facts don't matter to dopes like you.

Mentor has had chances sure. We had many good times despite not winning it all. We also watched those games from our seats just like you did. Luckily we don't get our self esteem from high school kids accomplishments as we watch.

Eds can win 10 more in a row and they wont get my respect or many others as well. Said the same before they won it all. Dirtiest scumbag program in the state.

Now run along to your thread which we don't post in to troll like you guys do here. We aren't your on your schedule and I'm happy with that
Why is St. Edward a "scumbag" school? What have they ever done to you?

You guys can move on now. This is a Mentor thread. We don't go into the Eds thread starting stuff and shooting our mouths off in there.

I said how I feel on eds football as a program (not the school ). If any of you don't like it, I dont care

You guys can move on now. This is a Mentor thread. We don't go into the Eds thread starting stuff and shooting our mouths off in there.

I said how I feel on eds football as a program (not the school ). If any of you don't like it, I dont care
The OP wasn't "starting crap." He was merely stating his opinion about Mentor's football program

The OP wasn't "starting crap." He was merely stating his opinion about Mentor's football program
Yeah talking about Mentor choking and downing them in a Mentor thread isn't starting stuff lol. Sorry but I don't take it when those dbags want to start stuff.

Almost as scummy as putting your starting qb back in the game after he was knocked unconscious ?‍♂️ In that title game.

Almost as scummy as putting your starting qb back in the game after he was knocked unconscious ?‍♂️ In that title game.
Oooo so original. Haven't heard that a billion times before. If thats the best you guys have , you don't have much to say the least

Have fun recruiting at middle school games.

Ps:. If you want, I can disturb your official thread for eds and turn it upside down. Wouldn't be hard.

Get over us not wanting to play your scumbag program. You guys win the wrong way and the dirty way but I'm glad you are fine with that. I just ignore hs football once we are out because of programs like yours being such cesspools and totally contrary to how amateur sports should be run.

Probably more Catholic kids on our team than on eds btw. That Catholic stuff goes out the window if you are a good athlete for eds

Dexksim don't waste your time. He is person (guessing old) that is clueless and just wants to run down the program. He has NEVER presented any facts. He just wants his throne on Yappi. When anyone brings up something negative or not to his liking he calls the person names or the school you are a fan of names. Like a child in the playground. Frankly it's funny reading the crap he posts about other institutions that he knows nothing about. Now he will come on here and blast this post calling me names etc. Just ignore the child and continue to express your thoughts. I truly believe he thinks this thread is only for him and his disciples. Okay Grad go ahead blast this post.

Last edited:
Dexksim don't waste your time. He is person (guessing old) that is clueless and just wants to run down the program. He has NEVER presented any facts. He just wants his thrown on Yappi. When anyone brings up something negative or not to his liking he calls the person names or the school you are a fan of names. Like a child in the playground. Frankly it's funny reading the crap he posts about other institutions that he knows nothing about. Now he will come on here and blast this post calling me names etc. Just ignore the child and continue to express your thoughts. I truly believe he thinks this thread is only for him and his disciples. Okay Grad go ahead blast this post.
Na I concentrate on Eds. I've talked football with plenty on here .I just don't respect eds types

You came into our thread whining about eds not being on our schedule. I said no thanks and was ready to move on. You then proceeded to act like Mentor is going downhill and dodging eds because you didn't get a glowing answer.

You were starting stuff. Just like your fellow dbag eds poster who came here after many days of zero responses and tried to stir it up again in our thread. Last eds post April 20! He came to start stuff may 11 ...

Neither of you are innocent. Don't talk smack and then act like a little pansy when you get it back in return.

Now take your eds trash to your thread.

Ps:. My age can be determined with my user name. That's if you know how to add and subtract. Judging by your posts , you may struggle. You don't even know how to spell "throne"

Either you didn't go to Eds or you must be an athlete that didn't get in for his brain lol

Last edited:
Na I concentrate on Eds. I've talked football with plenty on here .I just don't respect eds types

You came into our thread whining about eds not being on our schedule. I said no thanks and was ready to move on. You then proceeded to act like Mentor is going downhill and dodging eds because you didn't get a glowing answer.

You were starting stuff. Just like your fellow dbag eds poster who came here after many days of zero responses and tried to stir it up again in our thread. Last eds post April 20! He came to start stuff may 11 ...

Neither of you are innocent. Don't talk smack and then act like a little pansy when you get it back in return.

Now take your eds trash to your thread.

Ps:. My age can be determined with my user name. That's if you know how to add and subtract. Judging by your posts , you may struggle. You don't even know how to spell "throne"

Either you didn't go to Eds or you must be an athlete that didn't get in for his brain lol
Sorry you guys can’t win the big one ??‍♂️, you must really have an insight into the St Ed’s community to make all these baseless claims.

You can think whatever you want , at the end of the day the titles speak for themselves. Your head coaches and players have failed to deliver what your clearly so jealous of.

I don’t think Mentor folks should be discussing recruiting of athletes given the last three years with basketball and the recruitment of an entire AAU team. They have multiple transfers already in the program and are working on at least two more high impact players next year. Throwing rocks in a glass house is not wise. Cue up the calls of “this is about football not basketball”.

I don’t think Mentor folks should be discussing recruiting of athletes given the last three years with basketball and the recruitment of an entire AAU team. They have multiple transfers already in the program and are working on at least two more high impact players next year. Throwing rocks in a glass house is not wise. Cue up the calls of “this is about football not basketball”.
Well it is a football thread....we can review all eds teams vs mentor and theyd definitely be on the wrong side .. see wrestling.

And overall mentor basketball has been very home grown. State title winners were. Also I dont think a mentor alum coming back to coach under his old coach and moving a city over is recruiting like eds from many counties lol.

Who are these high impact transfers coming in? I mean you've shot your mouth off a lot on many schools on yappi but you never give any substance. Sounds a lot like you thinking the gcc would break up and a team was leaving when I knew teams were coming in .. instigating like you always do

But yeah you can make this on the basketball board. Doesn't apply at all to football. You have an obsession with recent mentor basketball but ignore the history before that.

Last edited:
Well it is a football thread....we can review all eds teams vs mentor and theyd definitely be on the wrong side .. see wrestling.

And overall mentor basketball has been very home grown. State title winners were. Also I dont think a mentor alum coming back to coach under his old coach and moving a city over is recruiting like eds from many counties lol.

Who are these high impact transfers coming in? I mean you've shot your mouth off a lot on many schools on yappi but you never give any substance. Sounds a lot like you thinking the gcc would break up and a team was leaving when I knew teams were coming in .. instigating like you always do

But yeah you can make this on the basketball board. Doesn't apply at all to football. You have an obsession with recent mentor basketball but ignore the history before that.
If it were only the two kids from Riverside that would be one thing but there were also one from Harvey, two from VASJ just in last two years. Keep an eye on this summer league team and I think my points will be more than validated.

If it were only the two kids from Riverside that would be one thing but there were also one from Harvey, two from VASJ just in last two years. Keep an eye on this summer league team and I think my points will be more than validated.
One from Euclid and one more vasj plus Harvey. That's fine. Basketball has become all aau and I honestly watch a handful of games a year. Mentor may as well cheat like everyone else in that sport . I really don't care

You have an obsession bringing this up in mentor football threads. Go start threads on the basketball board if you want to keep your crusade going.

The 2 kids from Riverside STILL live in their house in Riverside school district. The new house they are building had the lot cleared AFTER the basketball season was over. I doubt the house is done before the end of the summer.

The 2 kids from Riverside STILL live in their house in Riverside school district. The new house they are building had the lot cleared AFTER the basketball season was over. I doubt the house is done before the end of the summer.
This is a Mentor football thread. If you want to talk basketball go to that forum. If you want to turn mentor into the ohsaa then contact them. I doubt your claim is right anyways. You need to live in Mentor to go to Mentor. Hence their zero in competitive balance numbers.

I'm sure they have some arrangements to make it legal. And it's pretty damn creepy to be following a families moving and building progress AND THEN posting it on a message board.

Some of you guys need to get a life

Why don't you guys concentrating on a handful of kids moving in do a study of how many players moved out too. None of these players are Kareem Hunt to say the least ....

And while youre at it, give me one school that doesn't have kids move in and out throughout their k-12 years.

This is a Mentor football thread. If you want to talk basketball go to that forum. If you want to turn mentor into the ohsaa then contact them. I doubt your claim is right anyways. You need to live in Mentor to go to Mentor. Hence their zero in competitive balance numbers
Exactly! That's why people are saying Mentor basketball recruits and has illegal kids.
But you are correct, this belongs in the Mentor Basketball thread. My apologies.

Exactly! That's why people are saying Mentor basketball recruits and has illegal kids.
But you are correct, this belongs in the Mentor Basketball thread. My apologies.
I'd need proof that the kids aren't living in Mentor or renting which is legal.

Not general stuff from a message board guy who can make things up.

Also riverside kids are a bad example to use while bringing up recruiting. Their dad played for coach k at mentor and is now his assistant. You yourself said they are building a house. You don't do that for kids playing basketball in fricken high school ...they are moving one city over where the dad is from

I'd need proof that the kids aren't living in Mentor or renting which is legal.

Not general stuff from a message board guy who can make things up.

Also riverside kids are a bad example to use while bringing up recruiting. Their dad played for coach k at mentor and is now his assistant. You yourself said they are building a house. You don't do that for kids playing basketball in fricken high school ...they are moving one city over where the dad is from
I’m generally a fan of Mentor’s and half the stuff you post I agree with, but what proof have you given about St. Ed’s? I’m not saying I disagree with your opinion of Ed’s, but for you to demand proof after what you’ve said with no proof seems silly

I’m generally a fan of Mentor’s and half the stuff you post I agree with, but what proof have you given about St. Ed’s? I’m not saying I disagree with your opinion of Ed’s, but for you to demand proof after what you’ve said with no proof seems silly
I'm not getting into the eds stuff again. That's been going on for years. They troll our thread at least a couple times a year. Then they act all innocent acting like we started it . Anyone reading this thread can see how those two bozos were starting stuff. They can f off.

I'll pm you the stuff. This isn't an eds thread

There had been some talk in this thread about line ups for next season. Does anyone have any updates? The offense is the biggest question.
Anyone have any answers on this ? Curious for names to watch. I dont have kids in the program so I don't watch middle school games

Anyone have any answers on this ? Curious for names to watch. I dont have kids in the program so I don't watch middle school games
Very realistic this team goes 6-4 with a quick playoff exit. Just not a ton of depth or talent in system right now.

Very realistic this team goes 6-4 with a quick playoff exit. Just not a ton of depth or talent in system right now.
I don't really care about your trolling posts man. You need to get a life. We already saw with the GCC talk that you aren't plugged in and have no knowledge to speak about Mentor.

Actual people who know the program , please share some names to look out for