144: Johnson
150: Giltz
157: Stutler
165: ???
175: Klintworth
190: Ristoff
215: Millin
285: Fockler

Ideally, Perry needs a few guys to grow and spread out. They have incoming JH state placers Seibert (90), Montgomery (96) and Plotts (126) that might be squeezed out of the lineup.

And for Perrysburg…

106: Dodd
113: Evans
120: M.Blaze
126: Avalos
132: Carpenter
138: D.Chavez
144: Parrish
150: W.Denkins
157: J.Blaze
165: Wood/Saito
175: M.Takats
190: J.Takats/Hartzell
215: Sawaya/Nichols/Thistlewaite
285: Bush

I haven’t seen either compete yet this spring, but it sounds like the Takats brothers will be making big weight jumps again.

Wadsworth and Perrysburg will be good next year but do not forget about Brecksville, specifically if Herman comes back. Don't sleep on Perry either, especially when you find out that's where the Rohr's end up!
Makes perfect sense for the Rohrs to end up at Perry. Not only does Perry get both Rohrs but also the guy who put Perry wrestling on the map in Dave Riggs

Boro, I saw your latest article that Perrysburg returns more points next season that Ed's does.

Obviously this past season the D1 state dual and overall title were up for grabs with Perrysburg coming up just short for both. With whom each team is returning, do you think Perrysburg has an even better chance to dethrone the Eagles or will Eds start to pull away a bit more?
Perrysburg had a great shot this past year, I don’t think they’ll have an even better shot next year, maybe not any worse of a shot, but not better. Perrysburg will have the best top 6 of any team in the state next year imo, it’s how wrestlers 7-14 do that will make or break their chances at beating St Ed’s. This year they got 29 points at the state tournament from wrestlers 7-14, Denkins and Ewen graduate meaning those 29 are gone next year. Dodd and Chavez look like potential placers, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of state tournament points out of the rest of the lineup beyond those 8. In most years that would be enough, but this year they had 8 place top 3 and lost. I think it’s going to take more than 8 placers to beat St Ed’s next year as I think St Ed’s will have more qualifiers, more placers, and more points next year than they did this year.

Perrysburg had a great shot this past year, I don’t think they’ll have an even better shot next year, maybe not any worse of a shot, but not better. Perrysburg will have the best top 6 of any team in the state next year imo, it’s how wrestlers 7-14 do that will make or break their chances at beating St Ed’s. This year they got 29 points at the state tournament from wrestlers 7-14, Denkins and Ewen graduate meaning those 29 are gone next year. Dodd and Chavez look like potential placers, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of state tournament points out of the rest of the lineup beyond those 8. In most years that would be enough, but this year they had 8 place top 3 and lost. I think it’s going to take more than 8 placers to beat St Ed’s next year as I think St Ed’s will have more qualifiers, more placers, and more points next year than they did this year.
I agree a lot what won it this year is the depth of Ed’s. It’s tuff to beat a team that’s sends 11 kids to states. Perrysburg has some absolute monsters and when I say that I mean it. But it kinda falls of after those guys. I mean Perrysburg was what 4/5 and 0 against Ed’s kids in district finals. But If no one beats Ed’s this year and I don’t think anyone will. Then sure as hell one is beating them the next 2 after this. Their not getting younger and could compete for national championship but let’s not ahead of ourselves just yet. But the potential 2024 line for Ed’s is scary. It would be Seniors Bennett brown slaper androsik O’Brien Hopkins Juniors Miller Miller Butler sandafer Eaton Gregory manns Timar Goldberg.

Gun to my head and looking at these lineups, Ed's wins again next year. 2) Perrysburg 3) Wadsworth 4) Brecksville 5) Perry. Some of the separations between these teams is razor thin. I would feel very confident saying that these will be the top 5 teams in DIV 1 next season without a doubt.

Gun to my head and looking at these lineups, Ed's wins again next year. 2) Perrysburg 3) Wadsworth 4) Brecksville 5) Perry. Some of the separations between these teams is razor thin. I would feel very confident saying that these will be the top 5 teams in DIV 1 next season without a doubt.
Anyone know what Dublin Coffman has coming back? I'd bet they may be up there also

I agree Perrysburg and Wadsworth will both be in the hunt for a title. Ed's will have yet again a very young team. Two more incoming to the already very young line up. A lot is going to happen before next March. But always fun to talk about.
I know you like to constantly beat the “we’re young” drum, but it doesn’t carry the same negative connotation at St. Ed. Listening to you through the years I would swear Ponce de León is on the coaching staff. They ARE very young, but that’s not a bad thing for your program. If a freshman is starting at St. Ed it’s because he’s the best wrestler for the spot. That freshman would start on almost every varsity lineup in the state. It just means your elite program will be super elite in a few years. You have the deepest room in the state and one of the deepest in the country. Your green team can hold its own against any varsity lineup in the state. Other schools are struggling to field full lineups. They start freshman or have kids wrestle out of their weight class out of necessity. I can see where wrestling the national schedule you have, age could be a factor vs other elite programs. Maybe lack of experience could cost you against elite national competition. But I will reiterate, that freshman is the best wrestler for the spot. He wouldn’t be there otherwise. Quit talking like the “very young” team fielded from fierce, high level, in room competition, where the best man wins, is a crutch. It’s not the same as the “very young” team put together out of necessity. Embrace your youth and enjoy the cup that runneth over.

Your green team can hold its own against any varsity lineup in the state.
Any? I definitely get your point that their green team is better than most Ohio varsity teams but let's not push it. I could name at least 10 Ohio teams that would have spanked Ed's green team this year.

Anyone know what Dublin Coffman has coming back? I'd bet they may be up there also
It looks like they're losing a good number of seniors. I would say that outside of the NE (along with Perrysburg) LaSalle would be the best Div 1 team from the south.

Coffman is losing a lot. I.Ayoub (138), Gartrell (165), Broskie (175), Shumate (190), Aldulaimi (215 6th district) and Ucker (Hwt). That is a lot of state points.

Returning Baumann (120), O. Ayoub (126), E.Birden (144). Raghuram (113) , Makour (132) and C.Mitchell (157) returning DQs

Why is the idea of Rohr suddenly going to Perry getting thrown around? Is this just a guess, or is there actually rumblings of this happening. They have been Ed's bound for quite awhile now. I know Riggs is a Perry legend and it makes sense in that aspect, but if that were the case, they would have been Perry bound this entire time.

I’ve been told Ed’s is not a sure thing either. I’m sure grandpa is going to want control of whatever situation they are put Into. I think it’s still up in the air and I’ve heard talk that it could be neither school . Both kids great wrestlers and they will help out any program they join.

Last edited:
Why is the idea of Rohr suddenly going to Perry getting thrown around? Is this just a guess, or is there actually rumblings of this happening. They have been Ed's bound for quite awhile now. I know Riggs is a Perry legend and it makes sense in that aspect, but if that were the case, they would have been Perry bound this entire time.
1649093045816.png

I’ve been told Ed’s is not a sure thing either. I’m sure grandpa is going to want control of whatever situation they are put Into. I think it’s still up in the air and I’ve heard talk that it could be neither school . Both kids great wrestlers and they will help out any program they join.
Did hear from a source that Wadsworth could be a possibility

Because the commute would be crazy unless the whole Fam picks up and moves. And oh by the way, McBurney is a fine coach/person.

Because the commute would be crazy unless the whole Fam picks up and moves. And oh by the way, McBurney is a fine coach/person.
I never said anything negative about McBurney, or anything negative about Perry in general. I am not an Ed's guy, or a NE guy in general either. I just know the Rohr's were basically a foregone conclusion to be at Ed's, and this is the first time I am hearing that is not the case. I was wondering if that was just smoke, or is there actually fire there.

I never said anything negative about McBurney, or anything negative about Perry in general. I am not an Ed's guy, or a NE guy in general either. I just know the Rohr's were basically a foregone conclusion to be at Ed's, and this is the first time I am hearing that is not the case. I was wondering if that was just smoke, or is there actually fire there.
Just out of curiosity what weight class vicinity would the Rohr boys fall into?

This is always an issue and speaking from experience, it takes a full commitment of an entire family to make it work. I drove 45 minutes each way (no traffic) to get my son to St. Edward HS every day for 4 years. Also note, you may be the 2nd best kid in the state and not make varsity. With that said, you go for the education and then the athletic coaching. My son graduated with a 4.2 gpa with High Honors in their International Baccalaureate program. (proud Dad!) I stand as a perfect example of “ You may not have a varsity Senior “ I didn’t. He’s a great young man, and heck of an athlete. You learn how to be humble!!!!

This is always an issue and speaking from experience, it takes a full commitment of an entire family to make it work. I drove 45 minutes each way (no traffic) to get my son to St. Edward HS every day for 4 years. Also note, you may be the 2nd best kid in the state and not make varsity. With that said, you go for the education and then the athletic coaching. My son graduated with a 4.2 gpa with High Honors in their International Baccalaureate program. (proud Dad!) I stand as a perfect example of “ You may not have a varsity Senior “ I didn’t. He’s a great young man, and heck of an athlete. You learn how to be humble!!!!
You are the exception to the rule. Most of the St. Ed's kids are driving themselves to school all 4 years.

You are the exception to the rule. Most of the St. Ed's kids are driving themselves to school all 4 years.
That may be a bit of an exaggeration. I would add that it would be no different then any other school at this point and that the school does not make the call when it comes to when a student enters. It’s all on the parents. Just my 2 cents. ?