Ms Basketball and All State teams????

Chance Gray just won the Gatorade POY .... it doesn't always end up being the same kid for Ms Basketball but that was announced today.

The NE-Inland and NW All-District teams have not been released yet. Those will be released before the All-Ohio teams.

The state tournament's a week earlier than normal this year which I threw off the timing of all of those teams being released... usually all-state is released the week of the state tourney but it's obviously not gonna happen.

Russell from Reynoldsburg Mrs. basketball
Their twitter account posted something like that but then I've heard that they meant it as a "our own ms basketball" thing.... there has been no newspaper/media coverage of who won Ms Basketball yet. She may win it... but it hasn't been announced yet.

Their twitter account posted something like that but then I've heard that they meant it as a "our own ms basketball" thing.... there has been no newspaper/media coverage of who won Ms Basketball yet. She may win it... but it hasn't been announced yet.
This is correct. I know a media writer that covers Reynoldsburg is stumping for her to be it, but it's not official. I'd think Chance Gray or KK Bransford have a pretty good chance to win it.

Yeah usually Gatorade POY wins it too but not always... and usually if someone wins it as an underclassmen, they repeat... but again, not always lol.

KK Bransford was named D1 player of the year today on the official ballots.

BIG RUSS GONNA BE PISSED (if you know, you know)

Zach Fleer of 270 hoops is crying a river. It's really time for all these media types to be objective in their voting though. Everyone is just hyping up the local kids without seeing the whole field.

Example--Kettering Alter had ONE player get all state recognition, on 3rd team. They lost one game by one point to Akron Hoban, who went undefeated in regular season and was top 5 in D1. They only lost one game by less than 10 in the tournament, to Granville in regional semis. They put Hartley on a running clock in the state semis and blew Sheridan out in state championship. It's hard to talk about kids getting slighted without seeming to downgrade other kids but the voting is kind of a joke.

There are some very glaring issues with the All-District and All-Ohio voting processes right now. With that being said - really not sure what a better system would be. We hear stories about coaches doing crazy things during the voting process, as well - so I don’t think that is the way to go. I would say that the media definitely needs to take this task more seriously, while as hard as they can to not be biased. I am not sure this will ever happen though?

In NWO a girl won Tri-POY for the district, but then ended up getting State POY for her division on her own. From her same team - a girl missed over half of the season and got 2nd team honors.

Another girl in NWO earned first team honors - averaging single digits scoring, with 2 other All-Ohioans on her team.

In Central OH, a girl earned league and district POY from the coaches and got 3rd team All-Ohio, while her own teammate - who she beat out for those awards from the coaches, got 2nd team.

A girl in NEO scored 1 point in a state semi final blowout loss and still got 2nd team All-Ohio, but then other kids allegedly missed out on District POY because their team didn’t win the district - despite having big games.

All of these kids are very good players.

It’s a very flawed process. Not sure how to fix it. I guess I would start by really cutting down on the number of All-District voters and I would even consider employing an average from coaches and media.

The arguing and sour grapes whining is over the top. This is a special 2022 class with a number of kids that could have won and been a great choice. Reynoldsburg jumped the gun on their official twitter naming Russell "Ms Basketball"... I actually kind of like that 3 different kids won the different state player of the year (coaches' association, gatorade, and media/"real" Ms Basketball) awards.. that's how close these kids are in terms of talent. Why can't we all just celebrate KK for repeating (usually kids who win as underclassmen repeat... it is what it is... plus she had another GREAT year) and enjoy the fact that we're blessed in this state to have a surplus of talented kids?

MCGAL--great post. Lots and lots of great players in Ohio, and those three stood out. All deserving.

Greenday--one possible solution is to wait and do the voting after the tournament. I'm not sure I see the logic in these awards being regular season awards. The tournament separates players and coaches. I'm not saying you punish players for losing by 3 but if your team gets put on a running clock, you don't have the coach and player of the year.

I do think that it would help if the voting is consistent from a timeline standpoint. Either vote at the end of the regular season, the day after the district championship games or at the conclusion of the tournament. There probably shouldn't be different dates for when the voting takes place in Ohio's different regions.

The arguing and sour grapes whining is over the top. This is a special 2022 class with a number of kids that could have won and been a great choice. Reynoldsburg jumped the gun on their official twitter naming Russell "Ms Basketball"... I actually kind of like that 3 different kids won the different state player of the year (coaches' association, gatorade, and media/"real" Ms Basketball) awards.. that's how close these kids are in terms of talent. Why can't we all just celebrate KK for repeating (usually kids who win as underclassmen repeat... it is what it is... plus she had another GREAT year) and enjoy the fact that we're blessed in this state to have a surplus of talented kids?
Great Post and spot on! The world needs to quit putting people down and screaming foul everytime they dont get their way. KK deserved the award; other kids could have won it too! Celebrate the fact that Ohio is one of THE BEST STATES for girls basketball and be grateful we have so many talented girls and players to celebrate. Help change the world, people! and Congratulations, KK!

Great Post and spot on! The world needs to quit putting people down and screaming foul everytime they dont get their way. KK deserved the award; other kids could have won it too! Celebrate the fact that Ohio is one of THE BEST STATES for girls basketball and be grateful we have so many talented girls and players to celebrate. Help change the world, people! and Congratulations, KK!
There were A TON of Ohio girls in the NCAA tournament this year. Cooke and Hall for South Carolina have a great shot at the natty; Ohio State had a great run; ND with Prohaska and Westbeld (next year they get KK); Bell with FGCU will get drafted into the W. It's great seeing these Ohio kids have success on a national stage.

There were A TON of Ohio girls in the NCAA tournament this year. Cooke and Hall for South Carolina have a great shot at the natty; Ohio State had a great run; ND with Prohaska and Westbeld (next year they get KK); Bell with FGCU will get drafted into the W. It's great seeing these Ohio kids have success on a national stage.

Keirston Bell just got a WNBA championship.

She didn’t get much playing time this year, but considering she was a rookie and that LV Ace’s team is loaded with talent. She can definitely develop to be a solid rotation player off the bench.

She didn’t get much playing time this year, but considering she was a rookie and that LV Ace’s team is loaded with talent. She can definitely develop to be a solid rotation player off the bench.
Agreed. That LV team is loaded and their core is all expected to return next year. Aces are gonna need more bench production next year, so that’s a great opportunity for KB. She’s definitely playing under the best coach in the league, imo.