What is the plan for the Mapfre Stadium

TR1982

It frequently is a point of contention about where fb finals are held. This stadium seems like a ideal location and there could possibly be numerous other finals held here (soccer, lax). Which leads to the question does anyone know the plan for this site since the Columbus Crew moved to their new stadium?

The Crew built the new performance center - which is attached - and they have installed fields adjacent to Historic Crew Stadium (HCS) for outdoor training. I believe they are going to train on the new turf field at HCS, but Columbus will be using the facility as a "community sports park". I think it is great venue for state championship games (myself having been to soccer finals and many Crew games).

If $s were not an issue a good place for a state final facility would be within the proposed athletic complex that is going to be located north of Columbus in Delaware County just off of 71. A 20K capacity small dome would be perfect for this but economically probably not be feasible. They use these in the Upper Midwest at smaller FCS type schools, (Fargo Dome, UNI Dome, Holt Arena) and are the perfect size and environment for the state championship games. More folks would be traveling to these games if they knew it would be dry and warm but again probably not enough to make it worth the investment unless this athletic complex can parlay it into a use for their events.

Soccer venues are too uppity and prefer them to be grass and not turf.
Turf is needed if it was to become a football facility

Soccer venues are too uppity and prefer them to be grass and not turf.
Turf is needed if it was to become a football facility
They have already converted the field to a turf field. There is a proposal (I believe pending funding) to bubble it as well - not sure how that impacts the seating tbh.

They have already converted the field to a turf field. There is a proposal (I believe pending funding) to bubble it as well - not sure how that impacts the seating tbh.
Good deal. I just know when listening to the soccer buffs it seems like turf is a no no for like the MLS, etc, teams.

Good deal. I just know when listening to the soccer buffs it seems like turf is a no no for like the MLS, etc, teams.
It's true. Pro soccer is bad on turf and players/fans love to mention it (like me, right now). Though it does lead to some of the best kept grass being soccer fields.

But with new turf installed, I really think HCS could host playoff football games. I am not sure I am convinced on every facet to put the finals there, but boy would I definitely go to more state title games if I could drive to Columbus instead of Canton (from Dayton).

It's true. Pro soccer is bad on turf and players/fans love to mention it (like me, right now). Though it does lead to some of the best kept grass being soccer fields.

But with new turf installed, I really think HCS could host playoff football games. I am not sure I am convinced on every facet to put the finals there, but boy would I definitely go to more state title games if I could drive to Columbus instead of Canton (from Dayton).
Yeah, it was nice when they were in Columbus. However, with all the $$ pumped into the Canton stadium area I doubt we ever see it return to Central Ohio.

Would really love to see Crew Stadium used. It is the perfect size and location but sometimes the world ain't perfect :rolleyes:

With football staying in Northeast Ohio, and basketball in Southwest Ohio now, I don’t see either of these returning to Central Ohio anytime soon. The long trips to Canton and Dayton balance out.