St. Xavier (6-0) vs Louisville Trinity (0-6)

And what way to get that head coach’s team to buy in than by beating the former #1 Ranked team in Ohio.
Especially when it’s not gonna hurt ST. X playoffs.
I bet someone cashed in last night.
To be fair, they remain the #1 ranked team in Ohio for another 48 hours. Then, they're looking at being 6 or 7 maybe.

I think X can name the score in this one. Trinity graduated a ton of talent from last year's championship team, and X has rolled over better teams already. Hoping for no injuries and another running clock- and the same fate not to befall X next year.
How bout naming the score 33-32?

The majority of Trinity's rushing yards were on QB scrambles out of upheld pressures. X got burnt by what always burns them on defense- a scrambling QB and deep passes.
This is PRECISELY true-- which is why Springfield (with Smoot) and Ed (with Ramos) remain so dangerous against X, if X should have playoff matchups with either one of those teams. That kid at QB for Trinity, while diminutive, is an ATHLETE-- he deserves a HEAP of credit for putting his team on his back, and carrying them to that victory (well, him, and the Trinity kicker-- and the Trinity defense deserves some credit for holding X to 5 scores).

This game had several extenuating circumstances that made it appear, on the surface, much different than the actual game turned out:

1) Trinity had been playing ALL season (so far) with a severely impaired line-up, due to Covid-19; people may be aware that Trinity forfeited (as per Kentucky's state HS rules) to Moeller, when Trinity's team was decimated with Covid-19 infections and mandatory quarantines-- but Trinity's squad had ALSO been heavily affected by Covid-19 in EVERY other game this season as well, even though Trinity managed to actually play those games-- THIS Trinity squad that lined up Friday night is NOT the same squad that lost those other 5/6 games this year.

2) X also had some (3) key injuries (particularly in the defensive secondary, where TWO starting DBs were out-- including the [much bigger] cornerback who WOULD have been responsible for covering Trinity's big, tall, talented TE [who lit up X's defense Friday night]-- the replacement CB, while skilled, was simply too small to effectively cover Trinity's TE-- he just jumped over the X defender, and took the ball away from him-- shades of the two big Elder "bully-boy" WR's a few years back-- or Kyle Rudolph ~15 years ago)--the X defense that lined up Friday night is NOT the same defense that shut down EVERY opposing offense this season, in the first 6 games.

3) Trinity has probably the best HS kicker that I have seen perform live in HS-- the only comparable talent I've seen is X's Kevin Kerr from over 25-30 years ago-- this kid (and he's about 5'6" and ~130 pounds) had 15 points in this game, on four FGs and 3 EPs-- and he hit a FG from 53 yards, to end the first half-- that went straight through the middle of the uprights, with 10-15 yards to spare-- it actually went into the stands behind the end zone, where the St. X band sits-- FROM 53 YARDS OUT! (To be fair, the referee's call that put 1 second back on the clock, so that Trinity could then even TRY that FG was absurd-- on the last play before that, Trinity's receiver was hit as he caught the ball with 2 seconds left, and then was tackled to the ground as the clock expired-- the idea that Trinity somehow managed to stop the clock with 1 second left is not credible-- the clock had expired-- and here [unlike the decision that went AGAINST X, at the end of the first half in X's first game, against Lakota West], the refs decided that 1 second should be added back on the clock, which allowed Trinity to kick a 53-yard FG (which ultimately proved to be the difference in the game). Trinity's kicker ALSO executed a surprise on-side kickoff perfectly-- which brings me to...

4) X got snookered by Trinity's surprise on-side kickoff, early in the second half-- this one is all on the X coaching staff, for not having their kickoff return team ready for it-- I'm still not confident that Trinity allowed the ball to go 10 yards, before touching it (as I only saw it once, live)-- but kudos to Trinity for pulling it off... I highly doubt THAT will happen to X again this year.

The reality, that outsiders (like me) didn't see (or know) before-hand, is that X's own players were actually fully expecting Trinity to give them ALL they wanted in this game; between the radically bolstered Trinity squad and the substantively weakened X squad, this game was NOT at all fairly represented by the respective 6-0 and 0-6 records coming in, of the opposing teams.

The bottom line:
Trinity is STILL likely to win the Kentucky big school division state championship-- now that they have an intact team-- and they WILL be in the KY state playoffs.

X is STILL likely to seriously challenge for the Ohio Division I state championship-- and this game will be a big help in achieving that goal, as there will be no slacking off in practice, no easing up in games, and no overconfidence (among players or coaches)-- because they have now seen first-hand what even a tiny moment of letting their guard down (as they did on that on-side kickoff) can do to them.

Last edited:
This is PRECISELY true-- which is why Springfield (with Smoot) and Ed (with Ramos) remain so dangerous against X, if X should have playoff matchups with either one of those teams. That kid at QB for Trinity, while diminutive, is an ATHLETE-- he deserves a HEAP of credit for putting his team on his back, and carrying them to that victory (well, him, and the Trinity kicker-- and the Trinity defense deserves some credit for holding X to 5 scores).

This game had several extenuating circumstances that made it appear, on the surface, much different than the actual game turned out:

1) Trinity had been playing ALL season (so far) with a severely impaired line-up, due to Covid-19; people may be aware that Trinity forfeited (as per Kentucky's state HS rules) to Moeller, when Trinity's team was decimated with Covid-19 infections and mandatory quarantines-- but Trinity's squad had ALSO been heavily affected by Covid-19 in EVERY other game this season as well, even though Trinity managed to actually play those games-- THIS Trinity squad that lined up Friday night is NOT the same squad that lost those other 5/6 games this year.

2) X also had some (3) key injuries (particularly in the defensive secondary, where TWO starting DBs were out-- including the [much bigger] cornerback who WOULD have been responsible for covering Trinity's big, tall, talented TE [who lit up X's defense Friday night]-- the replacement CB, while skilled, was simply too small to effectively cover Trinity's TE-- he just jumped over the X defender, and took the ball away from him-- shades of the two big Elder "bully-boy" WR's a few years back-- or Kyle Rudolph ~15 years ago)--the X defense that lined up Friday night is NOT the same defense that shut down EVERY opposing offense this season, in the first 6 games.

3) Trinity has probably the best HS kicker that I have seen perform live in HS-- the only comparable talent I've seen is X's Kevin Kerr from over 25-30 years ago-- this kid (and he's about 5'6" and ~130 pounds) had 15 points in this game, on four FGs and 3 EPs-- and he hit a FG from 53 yards, to end the first half-- that went straight through the middle of the uprights, with 10-15 yards to spare-- it actually went into the stands behind the end zone, where the St. X band sits-- FROM 53 YARDS OUT! (To be fair, the referee's call that put 1 second back on the clock, so that Trinity could then even TRY that FG was absurd-- on the last play before that, Trinity's receiver was hit as he caught the ball with 2 seconds left, and then was tackled to the ground as the clock expired-- the idea that Trinity somehow managed to stop the clock with 1 second left is not credible-- the clock had expired-- and here [unlike the decision that went AGAINST X, at the end of the first half in X's first game, against Lakota West], the refs decided that 1 second should be added back on the clock, which allowed Trinity to kick a 53-yard FG (which ultimately proved to be the difference in the game). Trinity's kicker ALSO executed a surprise on-side kickoff perfectly-- which brings me to...

4) X got snookered by Trinity's surprise on-side kickoff, early in the second half-- this one is all on the X coaching staff, for not having their kickoff return team ready for it-- I'm still not confident that Trinity allowed the ball to go 10 yards, before touching it (as I only saw it once, live)-- but kudos to Trinity for pulling it off... I highly doubt THAT will happen to X again this year.

The reality, that outsiders (like me) didn't see (or know) before-hand, is that X's own players were actually fully expecting Trinity to give them ALL they wanted in this game; between the radically bolstered Trinity squad and the substantively weakened X squad, this game was NOT at all fairly represented by the respective 6-0 and 0-6 records coming in, of the opposing teams.

The bottom line:
Trinity is STILL likely to win the Kentucky big school division state championship-- now that they have an intact team-- and they WILL be in the KY state playoffs.

X is STILL likely to seriously challenge for the Ohio Division I state championship-- and this game will be a big help in achieving that goal, as there will be no slacking off in practice, no easing up in games, and no overconfidence (among players or coaches)-- because they have now seen first-hand what even a tiny moment of letting their guard down (as they did on that on-side kickoff) can do to them.
4Gx, couple of corrections… Trinity did not have players out do to Covid prior or after the one game loss because of a Covid forfeit. Injury’s, yes, but so does every other team. They simply were adjusting to a new coach and a typical tough schedule. The film confirms the extra second at half, should of been two based on whistle stoppage. Onside kick, X owns that one… went 10 yards. Also remember, Trinity had a long history with X’s offensive coordinator, so they were well aware of his past tendencies.

The bottom line:

How does a Springfield- Lakewood St. Edward's state championship game sound?

4Gx, couple of corrections… Trinity did not have players out do to Covid prior or after the one game loss because of a Covid forfeit. Injury’s, yes, but so does every other team. They simply were adjusting to a new coach and a typical tough schedule. The film confirms the extra second at half, should of been two based on whistle stoppage. Onside kick, X owns that one… went 10 yards. Also remember, Trinity had a long history with X’s offensive coordinator, so they were well aware of his past tendencies.
An X coach, who was on the sideline Friday night, told me (on Saturday) that Trinity had had numerous players out for every game-- HE said for Covid-19-- and I took him at his word; an X parent (of one of the defensive starters) said the same thing to me, during the game Friday... perhaps it was due to conventional injuries-- either way, the point was that Trinity had a much more capable squad on the field Friday night than in ALL of Trinity's previous games this season.

I did not have the benefit of seeing the film on the first half clock stoppage-- but it sure looked dubious, live. I also wasn't sure about the on-side kick's legality-- again, I only saw it live, and I thought somebody touched it before 10 yards-- but I'll take your word for it.

The outcome of this game might be the upset of the year to this point. Absolutely nobody saw this coming.

I'm sure St.X will bounce back and be fine. But this is a shocker.

From a national perspective, is this the most embarrassing loss ever for Ohio high school football? Does it get worse when/if X wins another state title?

In a year no one on a national scale remembers this game. If they do, who cares?
You’re right… just hate the thought of an also-ran team (NOT program!) from KY beating what I thought was an incredibly powerful OH champion. Probably just a reflection of the overall decline of hs football in ohio.

Why is that? SHS and St Eds have a much easier road to State. And, SHS and Smoot are salivating for a rematch with X.
I wouldnt be salivating too much they got embarrassed and we all don’t need to see that again.

Beat teams in state right now are:

X
Ed’s
West
Medina
Pickerington
Springfield

I wouldnt be salivating too much they got embarrassed and we all don’t need to see that again.

Beat teams in state right now are:

X
Ed’s
West
Medina
Pickerington
Springfield
How was anyone embarrassed? And look who's talking. All of you X fans are trying to act like the home loss to a winless team never happened and should be completely ignored by everyone

Haven’t played anybody. Springboro Two of their three wins against winless teams.
St. Ignatius which came very close to upsetting St Eds last night. And, Springboro generally scores their share of points but got shutout by SHS. And, SHS also beat Wayne who was state ranked. They shutout Wayne for 3 quarters. How many quarters did X shutout winless Trinity on? Like you people can talk after a home loss like that. Remember, Lasalle beat Trinity by 20 points in Louisville.

Bring it on. Check out the stats on Springfield's defense. Let's just say, they have yet to surrender 33 points at home to a winless team.
They've played one decent team all year- a team that is offensively challenged to say the least- and barely won at home. SHS couldn't win a game that was gift wrapped by X last year to them. And no one from X is acting like this didn't happen. I think 99% of us have been on this board since Friday saying that X blew the game in multiple ways. I can assure you the coaches and players have not forgotten. Come back and threadshit when SHS wins something other than Ohio's weakest region.

Reactions: 4GX
They've played one decent team all year- a team that is offensively challenged to say the least- and barely won at home. SHS couldn't win a game that was gift wrapped by X last year to them. And no one from X is acting like this didn't happen. I think 99% of us have been on this board since Friday saying that X blew the game in multiple ways. I can assure you the coaches and players have not forgotten. Come back and threadshit when SHS wins something other than Ohio's weakest region.
Winless Trinity exposed X that they're not as good as advertised, just like UC exposed ND. Is there anything more pathetic than fans of an overrated team who got beat at home by a winless team that couldn't be stopped from scoring trying to sound condescending. SHS's record, stats and upward movement in the ratings speak for themselves. Don't be surprised if Lasalle does the deed next. And Ignatius after. Btw, Ignatius came very close to beating #2 St Eds last night. SHS played them equally tough.

Last edited:
Ratings only matter to teams that can't win on the field.

X was humbled. The fans were humbled. Didn't make excuses. Didn't say any luck was involved. Owned the loss.

Come in another team's thread and talk smack, expect it to get thrown back in your face. Back on ignore you go, you're not worth the energy. The world will give you the attention you desperately crave when SHS delivers.

Reactions: 4GX
Winless Trinity exposed X that they're not as good as advertised, just like UC exposed ND. Is there anything more pathetic than fans of an overrated team who got beat at home by a winless team that couldn't be stopped from scoring trying to sound condescending. SHS's record, stats and upward movement in the ratings speak for themselves. Don't be surprised if Lasalle does the deed next. And Ignatius after. Btw, Ignatius came very close to beating #2 St Eds last night. SHS played them equally tough.
And more pathetic? I'd say a guy who has to talk trash about another team while not acknowledging their own squad's deficiencies is more pathetic. It only comes across condescending because of your continual inferiority complex.

And more pathetic? I'd say a guy who has to talk trash about another team while not acknowledging their own squad's deficiencies is more pathetic. It only comes across condescending because of your continual inferiority complex.
Since you raised strength of schedule, who has St X played that's any good? Trinity is the best team they've faced so far and they were winless and lost that at home. Elder and Moeller exposed each other as frauds yesterday giving up 60 points each. Lasalle is 4-3 although they did beat Trinity pretty handily. Colerain is terrible and they play in the same weak conference as the Lakotas. The GMC is weaker than Springfield's league.

Last edited:
Since you raised strength of schedule, who has St X played that's any good? Trinity is the best team they've faced so far and they were winless and lost that at home. Elder and Moeller exposed each other as frauds yesterday giving up 60 points each. Lasalle is 4-3 although they did beat Trinity pretty handily. Colerain is terrible and they play in the same weak conference as the Lakotas. The GMC is weaker than Springfield's league.
That’s comical.

Nobody has any interest in a thread about Springfield, so riverboy spends his time taking a massive sht all over everyone else's threads lol.