Trinity

4GX

On to Trinity, to (sort of) quote a famous pro football coach...

Trinity has not been good this year-- looking nothing like the team that had dominated KY big-school division HS football for more than a decade... not sure whether that should be attributed to Trinity's former coach now plying his trade in Cincinnati at X-- but that's probably not unrelated...

Will Trinity (like Elder) find a way to make this game competitive?

Trinity is now 0-6 and just lost to Louisville St. Xavier by 7 points. This game should be over at the half and will give the bench guys some playing experience. It is too bad that Trinity is not better this year but their coach retired and the cup board is bare as most of the good players from last year graduated.

So I didn't get to watch/listen to the game on Friday, but I saw the score, and I have spent all weekend recovering.

What happened?!?

So I didn't get to watch/listen to the game on Friday, but I saw the score, and I have spent all weekend recovering.

What happened?!?
Impartial observer, Trinity is a lot better than their record. Also, helped a great deal Coverdale was OC there for 20 yrs. Trinity was able to diagnose a lot of plays based off the formation/motion.

Also, the Trinity QB was a surprisingly good athlete. He gashed X a few times on a Bootleg to the wide side of the field, where he would keep the ball.

X is still the best team in R4, by a decent amount imo. I don’t think they’re as good as Eds and I think Springfield will give them a tough game in the semi final.

Impartial observer, Trinity is a lot better than their record. Also, helped a great deal Coverdale was OC there for 20 yrs. Trinity was able to diagnose a lot of plays based off the formation/motion.

Also, the Trinity QB was a surprisingly good athlete. He gashed X a few times on a Bootleg to the wide side of the field, where he would keep the ball.

X is still the best team in R4, by a decent amount imo. I don’t think they’re as good as Eds and I think Springfield will give them a tough game in the semi final.
Thank you for the insights!

What happened?!?
The loss to Trinity boiled down to 6 things

1. The absence of Kemper and the resulting corner mismatches led to the first 2 Trinity FGs (37 and 15 yard passes on 3rd down), a miscue led to a 70 yard pass play to set up TD for the 26-17 Trinity lead and the 2 mismatches (19 yards and 32 yards) on the final TD drive. Trinity's Noah Meyers (#81) and Stephen Mack (#4) combined for 7 catches for 162 yards nearly all of those 7 completions on mismatches

2. Trinity Field Goal Kicker connected on all 4 attempts; the 45 yarder at end of the 1st half for a 13-10 lead and momentum going into the locker and the 53 yarder after special teams allowed a 60 yard KO return

3. Trinity screen passes executed perfectly at 3 different times for 3rd and 4th down conversions to move the chains

4. Trinity QB scrambles on multiple occasions, one being a 32 yard backbreaker to the X 5 yard line which led to TD and 23-17 lead

5. 3 StX special teams mistakes: onside kick, 60 yard KO return to set up 53 yard FG for 17-16 lead and a 20 yard return to the 40 yard line after a poorly executed short pooch kick to setup the final drive.

6. Loss of McFarlin due to injury early in the 2nd quarter who up to that point was having a subpar night by his standards with the drop of a 50 yard pass in the end zone and 3 catches for only 25 yards (he averages @20 yards per catch)

Time to bounce back big vs LaSalle

The main board threads on the game are full of bad info like Trinity was 0-6 and the 53 yarder was just before the half and other such misinformation and ignorance.

Trinity was 0-5 because they cancelled the Moeller game in week 2 and the 53 yarder was in the 3rd quarter, not before half.

It was an emotionally draining game of multiple momentum shifts and 5 lead changes.

After the 45 yard FG the Shamrocks charged to their locker hootin' and hollerin' with a 13-10 halftime lead knowing the "upset win" was in reach.

The Bombers came out fired up for the 2nd half, kicked off, forced a 3 and out, blocked the punt, recovered it around the 20 yard line and 5 plays later McCaughey ran it in from 6 yards out.

The Bomber fans and sidelines were going nuts only to have the kickoff fielded at the 10 and returned 60 yards to the X 30 yard line.
Trinity's approximately 100 fans and sidelines are now going nuts.

The next series the Bombers dropped the RB for a 2 yard loss, broke up a pass attempt and sacked the QB for a 5 yard loss resulting in 4th and 17 from the X 37 yard line. The Bomber fans were now going nuts.

Enter Trinity's FG kicker who drills a 53 yarder. Trinity fans now going nuts as the Bomber lead is cut to 17-16.

That momentum led to a Trinity TD and another FG giving the Shamrocks all the momentum and a 2 score lead at 26-17.

A quick strike pass play to a wide open Kellom going for a 65 yard TD woke up the StX faithful as the score was now 26-24

The defense forced a punt and a methodical drive capped with a Kellom 1 yard plunge gave X the 30-26 lead.
A 2 point pass conversion with 3:32 left in the game stretched the lead to 32-26 and RDI stadium was rocking.

Enter the kickoff team and a weak pooch kick is fielded at the 20 and returned to the Trinity 40 and the Shamrocks were in business.
Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going opposite Ryan Nolan and sure enough 2 passes for 19 and 35 yards were completed with the last one taking the ball to the X 5 yard line.

The defense made a tremendous goal line stand allowing 4 yards in the next 3 plays of straight ahead plunges.
During the stand the Bombers burned all their timeouts bringing up 4th and goal from the 1 and instead of straight ahead the QB pitched to the RB running to the right and for a second or 2 looked like X would drop him behind the line but he found a seam and scored.

X started from their own 20 with 57 seconds remaining and no timeouts and McCaughey complete 3 passes to Kellom who got out of bounds on each one to stop the clock and X was in Trinity territory with about 20 seconds left. Another completion and X would be in Mason's range but 2 uncharacteristic errant passes fell incomplete and the roller coaster ride came to a sudden halt.

Great back and forth slug fest with a crappy ending.

I had a couple of additional takeaways from the game.

1. It was obvious that Trinity recognized the mismatch at cornerback early in the game and yet defensively the coaching staff left him on an island with very little over top support. On that last drive everybody in the stadium knew that trinity was going to go after #16 and we did very little to help him out.
2.The receiving crew for this years team is not close to last years receiving crew. When Mcfarlin left the game the other receivers struggled to create any separation. There is no receiver on this team that causes fear, speedwise, which allowed trinity to provide extra help in the box to keep Kellom under control. He still had a nice game but definitely not as dominant of a performance running the ball. He did become the best option for passing success after McFarlin went down and made major contributions there.
3. Whelp that game is in the books time to move on. I think the staff learned some things in this game and hopefully we will be better for it in the long run.

The loss to Trinity boiled down to 6 things

1. The absence of Kemper and the resulting corner mismatches led to the first 2 Trinity FGs (37 and 15 yard passes on 3rd down), a miscue led to a 70 yard pass play to set up TD for the 26-17 Trinity lead and the 2 mismatches (19 yards and 32 yards) on the final TD drive. Trinity's Noah Meyers (#81) and Stephen Mack (#4) combined for 7 catches for 162 yards nearly all of those 7 completions on mismatches

2. Trinity Field Goal Kicker connected on all 4 attempts; the 45 yarder at end of the 1st half for a 13-10 lead and momentum going into the locker and the 53 yarder after special teams allowed a 60 yard KO return

3. Trinity screen passes executed perfectly at 3 different times for 3rd and 4th down conversions to move the chains

4. Trinity QB scrambles on multiple occasions, one being a 32 yard backbreaker to the X 5 yard line which led to TD and 23-17 lead

5. 3 StX special teams mistakes: onside kick, 60 yard KO return to set up 53 yard FG for 17-16 lead and a 20 yard return to the 40 yard line after a poorly executed short pooch kick to setup the final drive.

6. Loss of McFarlin due to injury early in the 2nd quarter who up to that point was having a subpar night by his standards with the drop of a 50 yard pass in the end zone and 3 catches for only 25 yards (he averages @20 yards per catch)

Time to bounce back big vs LaSalle
You forgot about multiple posts/posters on the board pretending like Trinity didn't exist.

Is it possible X and/or Trinity players read and were aware of these types of things??? Hmmm... I don't know, but if I were a parent of a Trinity player and I had seen it, I certainly would have made my son aware of it.

The main board threads on the game are full of bad info like Trinity was 0-6 and the 53 yarder was just before the half and other such misinformation and ignorance.

Trinity was 0-5 because they cancelled the Moeller game in week 2 and the 53 yarder was in the 3rd quarter, not before half.

It was an emotionally draining game of multiple momentum shifts and 5 lead changes.

After the 45 yard FG the Shamrocks charged to their locker hootin' and hollerin' with a 13-10 halftime lead knowing the "upset win" was in reach.

The Bombers came out fired up for the 2nd half, kicked off, forced a 3 and out, blocked the punt, recovered it around the 20 yard line and 5 plays later McCaughey ran it in from 6 yards out.

The Bomber fans and sidelines were going nuts only to have the kickoff fielded at the 10 and returned 60 yards to the X 30 yard line.
Trinity's approximately 100 fans and sidelines are now going nuts.

The next series the Bombers dropped the RB for a 2 yard loss, broke up a pass attempt and sacked the QB for a 5 yard loss resulting in 4th and 17 from the X 37 yard line. The Bomber fans were now going nuts.

Enter Trinity's FG kicker who drills a 53 yarder. Trinity fans now going nuts as the Bomber lead is cut to 17-16.

That momentum led to a Trinity TD and another FG giving the Shamrocks all the momentum and a 2 score lead at 26-17.

A quick strike pass play to a wide open Kellom going for a 65 yard TD woke up the StX faithful as the score was now 26-24

The defense forced a punt and a methodical drive capped with a Kellom 1 yard plunge gave X the 30-26 lead.
A 2 point pass conversion with 3:32 left in the game stretched the lead to 32-26 and RDI stadium was rocking.

Enter the kickoff team and a weak pooch kick is fielded at the 20 and returned to the Trinity 40 and the Shamrocks were in business.
Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going opposite Ryan Nolan and sure enough 2 passes for 19 and 35 yards were completed with the last one taking the ball to the X 5 yard line.

The defense made a tremendous goal line stand allowing 4 yards in the next 3 plays of straight ahead plunges.
During the stand the Bombers burned all their timeouts bringing up 4th and goal from the 1 and instead of straight ahead the QB pitched to the RB running to the right and for a second or 2 looked like X would drop him behind the line but he found a seam and scored.

X started from their own 20 with 57 seconds remaining and no timeouts and McCaughey complete 3 passes to Kellom who got out of bounds on each one to stop the clock and X was in Trinity territory with about 20 seconds left. Another completion and X would be in Mason's range but 2 uncharacteristic errant passes fell incomplete and the roller coaster ride came to a sudden halt.

Great back and forth slug fest with a crappy ending.
I didn't think the ending was crappy. GBM :)

2020 Dad is back, glad for the insight.
Yep, even the '85 Bears said they wanted to go undefeated but the Miami loss did send a message, per the 30 for 30 show. March to state will need wins over LWest, Springfield, Pick Central and/or Eds. Will need to play better than against Trinity to beat those teams.
Also need to avoid the injury bug.

Reactions: 4GX
2020 Dad is back, glad for the insight.
Yep, even the '85 Bears said they wanted to go undefeated but the Miami loss did send a message, per the 30 for 30 show. March to state will need wins over LWest, Springfield, Pick Central and/or Eds. Will need to play better than against Trinity to beat those teams.
Also need to avoid the injury bug.
All true... I'd expect X to play better, for several reasons:
1) The injured starters (out for Trinity) are likely to return;
2) The coaching oversights (that led to the special teams errors against Trinity) will be addressed;
3) The players will be hyper vigilant in games, as a result of what happened last Friday;
4) The practices will be that much more intense and focused, on fixing other things that X got burned on last week.

Trinity (2-5) beats Ballard (4-3) tonight 20-17.
I watched video of LaSalle's 48-27 win at Trinity in Week 4 to try and make sense out of last week's loss.
They were tied at half (20-20) and in the second half Payne and Cope ran wild on the Shamrock's young defense (6 sophomores) while Trinity's offense sputtered twice in the red zone.
Payne did not play tonight.....how much better would he have made the LaSalle rushing attack (23 carries for 28 yards)?
Or passing attack (3 for 11 for 58 yards)?
Enough to change the outcome of tonight's game?
I think the refs had more effect on tonight's game than Payne would have.
12 penalties for 98 yards seemed inflated and a LaSalle 86 yard TD fumble recovery looked bogus

I had a couple of additional takeaways from the game.

1. It was obvious that Trinity recognized the mismatch at cornerback early in the game and yet defensively the coaching staff left him on an island with very little over top support.
Interestingly the varsity roster was updated for the rest of the season and includes 2 sophomore CBs from the JV team, Macen Hall and Cole Harris

Interestingly the varsity roster was updated for the rest of the season and includes 2 sophomore CBs from the JV team, Macen Hall and Cole Harris
DBs have been nothing but average thus far...take Kemper out of the mix & they have been below average
Makes sense to bring in reinforcements maybe another Bomber will step up

Cornerback play against the pass is the definite weak spot on this team and has been for the last few years. The corners across the board lack the foot speed to keep up with speedy receivers which puts them in a predicament where they are always playing catch up, that is the major reason that they don't get their heads around. Despite this they have done an adequate job in most games(except trinity) This position group has the most opportunity for improvement across the board.

Cornerback play against the pass is the definite weak spot on this team and has been for the last few years. The corners across the board lack the foot speed to keep up with speedy receivers which puts them in a predicament where they are always playing catch up, that is the major reason that they don't get their heads around. Despite this they have done an adequate job in most games(except trinity) This position group has the most opportunity for improvement across the board.
Has anyone noticed that the DBs almost never turn to track the ball? Its like they are outlawed from turning around to take a peek.

Has anyone noticed that the DBs almost never turn to track the ball? Its like they are outlawed from turning around to take a peek.
The reason they don't turn around is because they are already beat and running for their lives to catch up. A DB can get his head around when he is stride for stride with the receiver and in position to feel the receivers position compared to his own, if you are already beat in a foot race you now have to keep an eye on the receiver because you cant feel where he is. If you turn your head now you risk totally losing contact with the receiver. The one missed opportunity that I see is that the DBs need to be coached to watch the receivers eyes and hands, his eyes and hands will tell you when the ball is about to arrive and may allow you to make a play on the ball as the receiver looks it into his hands rather than just blindy running into the receiver and picking up a PI penalty. BJ Ferguson was the last corner that X had that had the foot speed to run with any receiver and get his head around to make a play on the ball.

The reason they don't turn around is because they are already beat and running for their lives to catch up. A DB can get his head around when he is stride for stride with the receiver and in position to feel the receivers position compared to his own, if you are already beat in a foot race you now have to keep an eye on the receiver because you cant feel where he is. If you turn your head now you risk totally losing contact with the receiver. The one missed opportunity that I see is that the DBs need to be coached to watch the receivers eyes and hands, his eyes and hands will tell you when the ball is about to arrive and may allow you to make a play on the ball as the receiver looks it into his hands rather than just blindy running into the receiver and picking up a PI penalty. BJ Ferguson was the last corner that X had that had the foot speed to run with any receiver and get his head around to make a play on the ball.
I agree, but there have been plenty of time they had a guy locked up and could have got a pick, but they just settle for the breakup. They aren't getting burnt by everybody all the time.

I agree, but there have been plenty of time they had a guy locked up and could have got a pick, but they just settle for the breakup. They aren't getting burnt by everybody all the time.
It's the fear factor. If you know you can run with anybody you don't play scared and you can play aggressive. If you know your speed is a little shakey/lacking you play very cautious because you never want to get beat deep . Most good defensive backs have short term memory because they can't afford to be worried about getting beat. They trust their speed and instincts. Those lacking speed tend to always be scared of getting beat and most of the time it shows in their technique.