Bishop Sycamore Head Coach Roy Johnson Accuses Suburban Schools of Recruiting

I don't know about "shame", but I do question scheduling them. St. Edward canceled on COF in 2018, presumably concerned about their lack of status as a school. So I am not sure why they then scheduled BS in 2020 and 21.

Coach Tyrrell quote from the ABJ article-

"We had zero film, so we knew nothing about anybody," Tyrrell said. "They gave us a roster, and half the kids are from California. ... It is really hard to coach [against them]. Their coaching staff does a great job. They are doing it for the right reasons, and that is why we played them because I want to help them out. They are trying to give kids a chance. They are trying to give kids a second chance to get to college, which I like."

• Haha
Reactions: y2h

"We had zero film, so we knew nothing about anybody," Tyrrell said. "They gave us a roster, and half the kids are from California. ... It is really hard to coach [against them]. Their coaching staff does a great job. They are doing it for the right reasons, and that is why we played them because I want to help them out. They are trying to give kids a chance. They are trying to give kids a second chance to get to college, which I like."
“I’ve never seen anyone coach a team while also dodging the police. Truly respect the grind that takes.”

Full quote didn’t make the article I assume.

I don't know about "shame", but I do question scheduling them. St. Edward canceled on COF in 2018, presumably concerned about their lack of status as a school. So I am not sure why they then scheduled BS in 2020 and 21.
St. Ed cancelles COF in 2018 because the OHSAA said “we don’t know what this game is going to count as until we do an investigation.” Their was a chance the result of that investigation was that they were a D7 school, but a school (they passed themselves off as D1 at the time, claiming 750 kids…that sound familiar?)

the end result was not a school, doesn’t affect the rankings. Had they known that for certain, they would’ve kept the game. 9 game schedule doesn’t really hurt your computer points, but a 10 game schedule with one of them being a winless D7 team does.

Coach Tyrell may be a damn good coach. But by god, I am going to have to question his judgement here. He did those BS "kids" no favors by perpetuating this scam. And he risked serious injury on his team by ignoring the real possibility of putting his kids on the same field as 20 year olds. Any updates on Crable? I sincerely hope he is OK after this. You do not want to see players getting hurt in general, but I *really* dont want to see injuries happen because of something like this. Games like this really shouldn't be happening. Ever.

Coach Tyrell may be a damn good coach. But by god, I am going to have to question his judgement here. He did those BS "kids" no favors by perpetuating this scam. And he risked serious injury on his team by ignoring the real possibility of putting his kids on the same field as 20 year olds. Any updates on Crable? I sincerely hope he is OK after this. You do not want to see players getting hurt in general, but I *really* dont want to see injuries happen because of something like this. Games like this really shouldn't be happening. Ever.
Technically it was a scrimmage. I don't understand why there wasn't an investigation last year after that viral video of the Bishop Sycamore player two years out of high school trying to knock the head off of the St. Ignatius player, twice.

Was the man who's almost 21 years old in yesterday's game?

If they were honest about it and had the right people in positions of authority, I'd happily support them. They should pitch themselves as a fledgling small program that tries to help at risk kids who may have fallen through the cracks to improve their lives through football with hopes of getting them into college. That's a noble cause I could get behind. Instead, they are charlatans writing literal and figurative checks that their @$$e$ can't cash. They then outright lie about the kids in their program to get people to buy in. They send send out carnival barkers like Jersey to repeat the lies. 12 D1 WR recruits, big time expensive unis, 100 plus kids in the program...give me a break.

Be honest and say you're a small group trying to help kids that only has 25 to 30 kids in the program and needs financial support to get uniforms for them, and I am in. Blow smoke up my keester, shame on you.

Disclosure, this is only what was told to me after drinking multiple beers last weekend Info could be false but seems to match up. Hopefully Jersey will chime in somewhere along the line, but he was a victim but only can blame himself. End of last week, BS had a relatively decent size roster. So come the weekend, multiple departures which put the game in jeopardy. You have to provide the basics, but that’s another story. What was said BS had promised a lot of players airfare to Columbus. BS apparently thought they had a sucker/donor willing to front some cash. Fell through. Only capital then became Flo’s payment. A lot kids waiting for plane tickets. Somehow they fielded a team, and can collect some revenue. Might be able to fly some kids in, but in guessing no

Bishop Sycamore played another JUCO transfer in the game as well. #22 Mecose Todd. He graduated class of 2020 and "had" offers from Florida, Michigan, Southern Cal, Alabama, etc.. yet couldn't crack the starting line up on the JUCO team. weird.

1629556837860.png

And he does have stats for them and Iowa Western has him listed as a Soph.

1629557273952.png

Last edited:
Bishop Sycamore played another JUCO transfer in the game as well. #22 Mecose Todd. He graduated class of 2020 and "had" offers from Florida, Michigan, Southern Cal, Alabama, etc.. yet couldn't crack the starting line up on the JUCO team. weird.

View attachment 20432

View attachment 20433
How on earth is a man who played JUCO ball allowed to be on the field with high school kids? They could be the best 15-16 year old football on the planet they are still 15-16 years old. A grown man that is at least 20 has no business playing against high schoolers. It is borderline criminal.

View attachment 20432

View attachment 20433
But it says reclassified so he’s good! Lol

Last edited:
How on earth is a man who played JUCO ball allowed to be on the field with high school kids? They could be the best 15-16 year old football on the planet they are still 15-16 years old. A grown man that is at least 20 has no business playing against high schoolers. It is borderline criminal.
I think that it is up to the OHSAA to make a determination that a school is ineligible to compete against OHSAA member schools. Might be time to pull the trigger or we might see traveling teams with 22 year olds wanting one last shot.

Disclosure, this is only what was told to me after drinking multiple beers last weekend Info could be false but seems to match up. Hopefully Jersey will chime in somewhere along the line, but he was a victim but only can blame himself. End of last week, BS had a relatively decent size roster. So come the weekend, multiple departures which put the game in jeopardy. You have to provide the basics, but that’s another story. What was said BS had promised a lot of players airfare to Columbus. BS apparently thought they had a sucker/donor willing to front some cash. Fell through. Only capital then became Flo’s payment. A lot kids waiting for plane tickets. Somehow they fielded a team, and can collect some revenue. Might be able to fly some kids in, but in guessing no
I realize that you are only repeating what you have heard but that sounds like an unadulterated pile of *****. They don't have adequate sponsorship for decent uniforms/equipment, they're sure as hell not getting sponsorship to fly kids in for games. And I am sorry, but a guy that repeats over and over obviously false information, information that defies all logic and common sense, is no victim.

I think that it is up to the OHSAA to make a determination that a school is ineligible to compete against OHSAA member schools. Might be time to pull the trigger or we might see traveling teams with 22 year olds wanting one last shot.
agreed

Most of those players are on paper only. I would suspect some are players in other states they can call when in town and have them suite up for them, like when they go to Texas to play Duncanville, Baltimore to play St Frances. DC/Richmond to play Life Christian. Probably got the names from their players that are there from those places and off twitter.

I agree. That is basically what BS is now. They have guys on the roster who have played in a junior college game. Who can justify letting those players leave a junior college and join your team so they can play high school kids.

Most of those players are on paper only. I would suspect some are players in other states they can call when in town and have them suite up for them, like when they go to Texas to play Duncanville, Baltimore to play St Frances. DC/Richmond to play Life Christian. Probably got the names from their players that are there from those places and off twitter.
I think those are called mercenaries. How in the hell can any reasonable coach just expect a kid to step in?

He wasn’t a victim, he was one of the carnival barkers trying to get people to step up at guess the yak lady’s weight.