Sencire Harris to the Illini

CincyIllinifan

I’m from the Cincinnati area, so I really haven’t seen much of Harris. As an Illini grad/fan, I’m interested in what kind of player he is. Anyone care to share some feedback on the type of player he is? Thanks in advance.

Harris is a 6'3" 4-star shooting guard who for large stretches of last season was the best player on the Irish squad that featured POY Malaki Branham. He is quick and has a good, albeit sometimes steaky, shot. He has, by all accounts, fully bought into the team and defense-first philosophy that Coach Joyce preaches. He may be a little slightly built for the Big 10 at the moment, but he has a year to develop. Rivals has him listed at 180 pounds; which I can't believe. Someone must have had another foot on the scale to get him up to that weight! He's got the tools to compete at the Big 10 level; and with another year to develop, the Illini may have gotten themselves a good one! Good luck to the young man.

Harris is a 6'3" 4-star shooting guard who for large stretches of last season was the best player on the Irish squad that featured POY Malaki Branham. He is quick and has a good, albeit sometimes steaky, shot. He has, by all accounts, fully bought into the team and defense-first philosophy that Coach Joyce preaches. He may be a little slightly built for the Big 10 at the moment, but he has a year to develop. Rivals has him listed at 180 pounds; which I can't believe. Someone must have had another foot on the scale to get him up to that weight! He's got the tools to compete at the Big 10 level; and with another year to develop, the Illini may have gotten themselves a good one! Good luck to the young man.

Is that sirloin or filet? :D

Looking at the Ohio St roster, 6'3" 180lb seems to fit in. And they are pretty skinny. They have a few 6'6" at only 195. Meechie Johnson at 172. Illinois has several in that ball park also, including a 6'6" 180lb Jr. I think the idea that the Big 10 is a bunch of Charles Barkley's is more myth than reality. Physically, he's ready to go. I'm sure they'll add strength but weight and muscle doesn't seem an issue.

Edit: I looked at some of the pictures of those college 6'3" 180lb and then of Harris.... might have been a few stones in his shoes.

Last edited:
Yeap. It is what it is. And many don’t make it to the NBA. Education people, then basketball or football. Many kids who have Little guidance are walking our streets.

transfer in high school, transfer in college. a portal lock if there's ever been one.
I think this is a little harsh. I don't recall the reason he transferred to STVM, but he has been a model citizen with the Irish. He certainly didn't transfer in order to be the focal point of the team since he has, to a certain extent, sat in the long shadows cast by Lunden McDay and Malaki Branham. If there were any maturity issues before, they certainly appear to be a thing of the past at this point. I think the young man is going to have a huge year for the Irish in 2022 and I hope he has a successful career with the Illini.

Harris has a huge upside. He is a lengthy 6-3 wing 2 guard who can handle the ball drive the lane shoot the 3. He is a high flyer who can provide electric dunks and apply defensive pressure. Sencire is a great addition to the Illini program. The 2021-22 Irish will be competing for their 10th state title under Harris, Pryor, Hayes. Stratford, Hamilton and company. Akron Buchtel will be their toughest competition to repeat.

I think this is a little harsh. I don't recall the reason he transferred to STVM, but he has been a model citizen with the Irish. He certainly didn't transfer in order to be the focal point of the team since he has, to a certain extent, sat in the long shadows cast by Lunden McDay and Malaki Branham. If there were any maturity issues before, they certainly appear to be a thing of the past at this point. I think the young man is going to have a huge year for the Irish in 2022 and I hope he has a successful career with the Illini.
Because he was recruited, just like all the high profile kids St V gets.

Because he was recruited, just like all the high profile kids St V gets.
1631366328691.png