Another Weekend Of Youth Basketball.... Another Weekend Of Fights

Parents are the absolute WORST fans. No doubt about that.

Buuuut.....kids sports cannot go on without them.

I concur...any said tournament director needs to lay down the law quickly.

What is the freaking deal with people? it is a freaking K I D S game.

K I D S!

Why do people get this mad?

K I D S!

Because their FN Ignorant!!

High level travel baseball and softball will be gearing up soon, correct? I anticipate footage from those tournaments as the summer progresses. Sad state of affairs...

for the few events i work out of hoops season. i let the assignor know. and i've done it. if coaches or fans get crazy i'm leaving. no questions asked. i don't need the headache. im there to help out. im a good official and don't deal with it anymore. if they say you can't work then. i say ok. thanks anyway.

jtk
()

for the few events i work out of hoops season. i let the assignor know. and i've done it. if coaches or fans get crazy i'm leaving. no questions asked. i don't need the headache. im there to help out. im a good official and don't deal with it anymore. if they say you can't work then. i say ok. thanks anyway.

jtk
()
This is pretty much how it should be. The person who clearly doesn’t know how to behave can leave or the Officials can!

K I D S!

I'm beginning to think that should be how we remember the year that was 2020. Those 6 words pretty much sum up the year (and well 2021 at this point as well).

This is pretty much how it should be. The person who clearly doesn’t know how to behave can leave or the Officials can!
yes, you should have seen the reaction of the coach of a 2nd grade boys team at sports plus a couple weekends ago when i left. lol. he said i can't leave. i said 2nd grade shouldn't be playing in a tournament especially when they can press and have a 14 minute half and i left. have fun reffing the game better than i did because you obviously want to wear a striped shirt. see you later.

jtk
()

Good for you. They must start paying well for real security instead of lining their pockets with money. This crap will not end well at some point. Our country is sadly an extension of our athletes at these lower levels. My God , what are these kids learning? They just want to have Fun. ?

yes, you should have seen the reaction of the coach of a 2nd grade boys team at sports plus a couple weekends ago when i left. lol. he said i can't leave. i said 2nd grade shouldn't be playing in a tournament especially when they can press and have a 14 minute half and i left. have fun reffing the game better than i did because you obviously want to wear a striped shirt. see you later.

jtk
()
Was that the Tournament that had Police Officers on duty? Was that the Tournament with a 1st grade division that had stop and go clock? You just straight up left?

Good for you. They must start paying well for real security instead of lining their pockets with money. This crap will not end well at some point. Our country is sadly an extension of our athletes at these lower levels. My God , what are these kids learning? They just want to have Fun. ?
They certainly are not learning how to resolve conflict. Not good...

Was that the Tournament that had Police Officers on duty? Was that the Tournament with a 1st grade division that had stop and go clock? You just straight up left?
yes and yes. i told the coaches that i wasn't going to call every travel and double dribble. he said i needed to call it by the rules. i said have fun reffing and coaching. that tournament was a joke.

jtk
()

yes and yes. i told the coaches that i wasn't going to call every travel and double dribble. he said i needed to call it by the rules. i said have fun reffing and coaching. that tournament was a joke.

jtk
()
I guess the only other option than walking out would be to go the opposite route and call EVERY travel and double dribble! In a first grade game neither team would ever get a shot off because it would be one long series of turnovers and inbounds plays! It'd be like the police when they want to get their message across and instead of getting the "blue flu" they write tickets for every minor traffic infraction they see!

I guess the only other option than walking out would be to go the opposite route and call EVERY travel and double dribble! In a first grade game neither team would ever get a shot off because it would be one long series of turnovers and inbounds plays! It'd be like the police when they want to get their message across and instead of getting the "blue flu" they write tickets for every minor traffic infraction they see!
And if it were stop and go clock, the game would take at least 90 minutes.

I think this can be solved or at least tempered with some good old fashioned communications. The tournament directors need to communicate with the coaches that there will be no confrontation of officials, no berating the players and no conversations with opposing teams unless it's positive. THEN, the coach needs to communicate to the parents the exact same message AND the coach needs to adhere to these rules.
In most of these instances, the fans / parents will follow the coach's lead. You have a nutty / intense coach and the fans generally misbehave. Not always, but alot of the time.
I would instruct the officials to nip any issues in the bud. Make people examples if necessary.
These are RECREATION games, not professional games or anything remotely close to it.

I think this can be solved or at least tempered with some good old fashioned communications. The tournament directors need to communicate with the coaches that there will be no confrontation of officials, no berating the players and no conversations with opposing teams unless it's positive. THEN, the coach needs to communicate to the parents the exact same message AND the coach needs to adhere to these rules.
In most of these instances, the fans / parents will follow the coach's lead. You have a nutty / intense coach and the fans generally misbehave. Not always, but alot of the time.
I would instruct the officials to nip any issues in the bud. Make people examples if necessary.
These are RECREATION games, not professional games or anything remotely close to it.
What a wonderful world we would live in if this were to happen.......

I was a part of an entire group of officials who walked mid-tournament, mid games because a TD would not support an official who was "nipping it in the bud"...

They went out and got more officials who were there just to grab $25 a game. Lazy, limited rules knowledge, and subservient to to money grabbers. Unfortunately, there are more of those men and women out there than there with that mindset than the ones who actually come to officiate.

What a wonderful world we would live in if this were to happen.......

I was a part of an entire group of officials who walked mid-tournament, mid games because a TD would not support an official who was "nipping it in the bud"...

They went out and got more officials who were there just to grab $25 a game. Lazy, limited rules knowledge, and subservient to to money grabbers. Unfortunately, there are more of those men and women out there than there with that mindset than the ones who actually come to officiate.
I certainly don't blame you. I think over time, people have got more and more crazy. Everyone is competitive and I understand the passion, but you also have to have a sense of treating people the right way.
You are 100% correct with the folks just wanting the money, and I guess that's probably closer to why these things happen. These folks aren't in the game for the kids or the game, they just want to make $25 an hour because that's probably great money for them.
I've often wondered how an official can do one, possibly two games a day during the regular season. Yet these shoot-outs and team camps, you'll have officials doing games for 6-8 hours straight! I'd think you're focus is gone by game 3.

I've often wondered how an official can do one, possibly two games a day during the regular season. Yet these shoot-outs and team camps, you'll have officials doing games for 6-8 hours straight! I'd think you're focus is gone by game 3.
That's because the men and women who work those 6-8 games a day are the ones I refer to. Just there to pick up $25 cash and get out of there. They don't run. They don't work. Their job is to keep the games moving......period.

They are as complicit as the TD's.

That's because the men and women who work those 6-8 games a day are the ones I refer to. Just there to pick up $25 cash and get out of there. They don't run. They don't work. Their job is to keep the games moving......period.

let's be honest, these are non-sanctioned events and the goal is for kids to play and get exposure. The TD's need people to officiate and the officials can make a couple hundred bucks a day for blowing a whistle.

It's still on parents to act like adults and put things into proper perspective. You're kid not having a foul called in a critical time in a game isn't going to be the moment where his NBA career is over.

seriously...this happened and the coach wasn't happy. he said this is 2nd grade bb and you call that. lol i can't make this up. its unreal. never again will i do a tournament with these rules. btw, i only do games if im bored and nothing else to do but watch the grass grow. lol

jtk
()

High school shootouts are usually quite a bit different from the "AAU" variety. At least for me, a shootout is done locally for coaches that you know and respect and they usually have respect for both you and the game. In my area (for the most part - occasionally there is an issue) the coaches are not a problem. A high school coach knows what consititutes acceptable behavior and they appreciate when you take time off from work or vacation to help them out. Unfortunately, the "AAU" circuit has no such rules (that are enforced by many tournament directors).

Amd allow games to go on during downpour s until the TD calls it. Gotta get those games in. .

At a tourny this weekend....4 game min. Rain killed it. But to get the 4 games in and offer no refunds....have games Sunday night as late as 7 pm.......

Amd allow games to go on during downpour s until the TD calls it. Gotta get those games in. .

At a tourny this weekend....4 game min. Rain killed it. But to get the 4 games in and offer no refunds....have games Sunday night as late as 7 pm.......
Downpour? Are you looking for the baseball forum? lol Unless they're playing on outdoor courts now.

No. These officials are the only people willing to do these games........this number of games. I know guys who do 10-12 games a day. Know why? Because the tournament host can't find people to do 3-4 games and then bring in another group of officials to do 3-4 more games. There is a shortage of basketball officials, mostly because the whining and complaining doesn't stop and the pay stinks. It is basic economics, no one is knocking on the door to referee youth basketball. They have to beg people to do it.

IMO opinion the tournament host should pay refs close to the full rate they get during the season, closer to $40-50 per game, at least. But that will never happen because the people who run these youth AYBT, camps, etc. are scam artists and are in this for one reason only and that is to make as much money as possible. Parents and coaches of these youth teams invest big $ into these tournaments and that is part of the reason they treat it like 3rd and 4th graders are playing for a state title.

my solution to this beyond playing the officials more is to just let teams and coaches into the games. no parents

I think it's apparent that refs do get verbally questioned more than in years past and that should be reigned in. However, I don't necessarily agree that the fighting is worse than the past. I feel like there are 10 times as many basketball games played now than in the past. Also, everyone has a phone so you get hear and see most of the fights.
I played k-12 basketball, baseball and football in the late 70s and 80s. I watched or was a part of countless in game fights and post games fights between players, between coaches, between parent and many times all the above in one big brawl. I've seen bench clears where police had to spray the crowd to end the brawl. We didn't have AAU but if we did it would have been worse back then.
My experience the last 6-8 yrs of AAU is great. Been a few altercations, but mostly great basketball, with mostly great coaches and honestly pretty well reffed games