Well Traveled Mauro Returns To Ohio To Coach Fairview

Story behind that?
Canal Winchester and Bloom-Carroll are rivals. The districts border each other, with common bleed-over between the two lines (namely open-enrollment into BC.) Prior to Canal’s growth into the D2 classification, the schools competed in the same league (MSL-Buckeye) for 50 years and were within 20% of the other in enrollment until 2009-10.

Mauro had coached at Canal in the late 00’s. Did very well, there. Had the stint at Edgewood before getting hired at BC in 2012. When he was hired at BC, the program was a huge mess that went through an inordinate amount of coaching changes (want to say it was 4 coaches in 7 years) and a playoff drought dating back to the 90’s. There were questions on whether or not Mauro would stay long on his own choice. Or go back to Canal, eventually.

To sell the idea of ‘loyalty’, he had the BC logo (basically the Boston College emblem, but purple-and-gold) stamped on him. Took BC to the playoffs twice in two years, but then left to immediately take the Canal job as it reopened.

I realize Canal Winchester is the rural part of Columbus, but he's stepping into a whole new world up in Sherwood and Ney.

Hell, Defiance County period.

Last edited:
Well, from what it sounds like Fairview lost a TON of talent this fall. Needed a coach to take some lumps. He wanted back in Ohio.

I'd say 2 years is a possibility or could be a holdover hire.

Well, from what it sounds like Fairview lost a TON of talent this fall. Needed a coach to take some lumps. He wanted back in Ohio.

I'd say 2 years is a possibility or could be a holdover hire.
Lost 16 seniors this year, many who were 3 year starters. Also not a ton of talent in the high school right now.

The next 2-3 years I'm not expecting a lot.

Phil Mauro
1982 Texas School for the Deaf 4-5
1983 asst?
1984 asst?
1985 asst?
1986 Columbus St. Francis DeSales 10-0
1987 Columbus St. Francis DeSales 9-2
1988 Lancaster
1989 Lancaster
1990 ?
1991 Massillon(asst)
1992 ?
1993 New Philadelphia 3-7
1994 New Philadelphia 7-3
1995 Massillon Jackson 5-5
1996 Massillon Jackson 7-3
1997 Massillon Jackson 3-7
1998 Massillon Jackson 8-3
1999 Massillon Jackson 5-5
2000 Massillon Jackson 8-3
2001 Massillon Jackson 9-3
2002 Massillon Jackson 5-5
2003 Massillon Jackson 7-3
2004 Massillon Jackson 7-4
2005 Massillon Jackson 7-3
2006 Massillon Jackson 5-5
2007 Canal Winchester 10-2
2008 Canal Winchester 9-2
2009 Canal Winchester 8-3
2010 Canal Winchester 9-2
2011 Trenton Edgewood 3-7
2012 Bloom Carroll 5-6
2013 Bloom Carroll 6-5
2014 Canal Winchester 1-9
2015 Canal Winchester 2-8
2016 Canal Winchester 3-7
2017 Carrollton 3-7
2018 Carrollton 5-5
2019 Mount Gilead 4-6
2021(Spring) Piedmont (NC)
2021 Sherwood Fairview

One question I have...........Why does adminstrators / schools continue to interview / offer him the jobs? I don't see anything special about his W/L record. Just wondering.

One question I have...........Why does adminstrators / schools continue to interview / offer him the jobs? I don't see anything special about his W/L record. Just wondering.
W/L record not being “special?”

141-70 before he went to Edgewood. Took a dreadful Bloom-Carroll program to playoffs back-to-back years; Mt Gilead has been one of the worst programs statewide. Second stint at Canal was doomed with lean talent as CW joined a league full of bigger schools.

He’s not Tom Landry or Chuck Kyle, but context matters. Decent X’s and O’s, with a pretty respectable W/L record.

His record is still not special. At CW, they were the big boys on the block equating to 9 losses in 4 years. Give credit where credit is due. Back at CW when they were the small guys and the record indicates that. Slightly above average at Jackson (59% winning pct) and then bouncing around. All I'm saying is that his coaching record is not great when the school is the small compared to other league members.

I just want to know why the constant moving around, because if I am on a hiring committee, that is a huge red flag. Although it hasn't stopped him from getting a new coaching job almost every year.

Best of luck to him and Fairview

Was around for his time at Jackson, I thought he did a good job there making them competitive year in and year out

Mauro seems very motivated to be back in Ohio, because of having their first grandchild in the family. Mauro said his family is over in Cleveland, so if he does move again I'd imagine it'd be over in that direction. At any rate, why knock this hire? Who cares how many places he's been? He was the D3 coach of the year and has done well at most of his stops. Plus it was mentioned that he had a pre-existing relationship/familiarity with the Fairview AD. Really not that surprising.

Sounds like Mike Vicars of Delta/Genoa fame. If I'm not mistaken he's coached 7 schools including just recently Bedford? Never understood this mindset, wouldn't you want to be a longtime great coach in one community and have a stadium or something named after you?
Totally agree...seems like he has done well at most places

Mauro seems very motivated to be back in Ohio, because of having their first grandchild in the family. Mauro said his family is over in Cleveland, so if he does move again I'd imagine it'd be over in that direction. At any rate, why knock this hire? Who cares how many places he's been? He was the D3 coach of the year and has done well at most of his stops. Plus it was mentioned that he had a pre-existing relationship/familiarity with the Fairview AD. Really not that surprising.
Because if he stays for only 2 years like his track record has shown, a coaching carousel of 3 people in 4 years can absolutely devastate a small school program like Fairview's that just lost a ton of senior talent. They're already going to be in rebuilding mode after losing 15 seniors, if this guy doesn't stay long term then whoever comes in after him will have to restart from scratch.

Because if he stays for only 2 years like his track record has shown, a coaching carousel of 3 people in 4 years can absolutely devastate a small school program like Fairview's that just lost a ton of senior talent. They're already going to be in rebuilding mode after losing 15 seniors, if this guy doesn't stay long term then whoever comes in after him will have to restart from scratch.
You don't owe your employer anything other than doing your best to fulfill the terms of your contract. I'm sure Mauro has every intention to work hard and do his best at Fairview as he seems very motivated to be back in Ohio. Did they offer him a lifetime, long-term contract? I'm sure it's just your standard coaching agreement. If he has success and stays at Fairview long-term, then great. Mutually beneficial. If he doesn't stay there forever, then who cares. That's life. Coaches change locations for personal and professional reasons all of the time and both Mauro and Fairview will be fine. The world won't come crashing down. Besides, nothing you're saying is breaking news. The AD, principal, and school board were all well aware of his multiple stops. And they hired him anyways.

Phil Mauro
1982 Texas School for the Deaf 4-5
1983 asst?
1984 asst?
1985 asst?
1986 Columbus St. Francis DeSales 10-0
1987 Columbus St. Francis DeSales 9-2
1988 Lancaster
1989 Lancaster
1990 ?
1991 Massillon(asst)
1992 ?
1993 New Philadelphia 3-7
1994 New Philadelphia 7-3
1995 Massillon Jackson 5-5
1996 Massillon Jackson 7-3
1997 Massillon Jackson 3-7
1998 Massillon Jackson 8-3
1999 Massillon Jackson 5-5
2000 Massillon Jackson 8-3
2001 Massillon Jackson 9-3
2002 Massillon Jackson 5-5
2003 Massillon Jackson 7-3
2004 Massillon Jackson 7-4
2005 Massillon Jackson 7-3
2006 Massillon Jackson 5-5
2007 Canal Winchester 10-2
2008 Canal Winchester 9-2
2009 Canal Winchester 8-3
2010 Canal Winchester 9-2
2011 Trenton Edgewood 3-7
2012 Bloom Carroll 5-6
2013 Bloom Carroll 6-5
2014 Canal Winchester 1-9
2015 Canal Winchester 2-8
2016 Canal Winchester 3-7
2017 Carrollton 3-7
2018 Carrollton 5-5
2019 Mount Gilead 4-6
2021(Spring) Piedmont (NC)
2021 Sherwood Fairview

1990 Massillon att under Lee Owens
1992 Massillon Head Coach with Jack Rose

You don't owe your employer anything other than doing your best to fulfill the terms of your contract. I'm sure Mauro has every intention to work hard and do his best at Fairview as he seems very motivated to be back in Ohio. Did they offer him a lifetime, long-term contract? I'm sure it's just your standard coaching agreement. If he has success and stays at Fairview long-term, then great. Mutually beneficial. If he doesn't stay there forever, then who cares. That's life. Coaches change locations for personal and professional reasons all of the time and both Mauro and Fairview will be fine. The world won't come crashing down. Besides, nothing you're saying is breaking news. The AD, principal, and school board were all well aware of his multiple stops. And they hired him anyways.
Where did I say that he was required to stay long term or that he owed it to the school? Football coaches at every public school in Ohio are on yearly contracts and either the school or the coach can choose to not renew any given year. Administrations that are concerned about long term success should pick from candidates that they believe are in it for the long haul. You asked why people are knocking the hire and I gave you an answer based on his clear history of bouncing between schools every 3-4 years with the exception of his time at Massillon Jackson. That would be a massive red flag if I was in Fairview, especially if an attractive program towards Cleveland and his family, (which he already mentioned as his motivation for coming back to Ohio) has an opening in the near future.

Where did I say that he was required to stay long term or that he owed it to the school? Football coaches at every public school in Ohio are on yearly contracts and either the school or the coach can choose to not renew any given year. Administrations that are concerned about long term success should pick from candidates that they believe are in it for the long haul. You asked why people are knocking the hire and I gave you an answer based on his clear history of bouncing between schools every 3-4 years with the exception of his time at Massillon Jackson. That would be a massive red flag if I was in Fairview, especially if an attractive program towards Cleveland and his family, (which he already mentioned as his motivation for coming back to Ohio) has an opening in the near future.
I asked a question. You answered. I found your answer to be unsatisfactory. Your posts are largely stuck on speculating "if this, then that."

if he stays for only 2 years like his track record has shown, a coaching carousel of 3 people in 4 years can absolutely devastate a small school program like Fairview's

if this guy doesn't stay long term then whoever comes in after him will have to restart from scratch.

Anyone can speculate. I mean, look at the NW OH Realignment discussion topic with 88 pages of it. All I'm saying is give the man a chance and even if he does bolt for Cleveland, the world won't come crashing down. Small school Ohio football has a lot of ebb and flow - coaching changes, enrollment numbers, community support, etc. - kids are resilient and the ones who want to play football will play regardless of who their coach is or what their W/L record is. I don't think their program will be "devastated" either way.

God forbid anyone have some loyalty.

God forbid anyone have some loyalty.
So now we aren't just talking about the Fairview program possibly being "devastated" by this hire, we're also talking about betrayal. Jeez louise y'all are dramatic. Give me a break with that holier than thou nonsense. My two cents are that if you complete your one year contract and change jobs, or change jobs after serving your best for 2-3 years at a school... that isn't disloyal. That's fulfilling your terms of your contract. People change jobs all the time and yet we still function as a society. If any football program or business falls apart because one person in your organization left, well, your organization wasn't very strong to begin with.

Coach Mauro is a "used car salesman" in the truest sense of the phrase. He does a really nice job of spinning why he needs to be some place or why this place will be different than others. In his defense, he left Canal the first time due to district downsizing and funding issues. He returend after it was a better situation. He took the Carollton job but his wife could not find a job in the area so they were separated during the week and saw each other on weekends. Which is why he took the MG job. As for the move to NC, I was told it was due to family and retirement reasons. Now people are saying he's back because of a grandchild. Hard to tell.