Northwest Conference 2021

BirdDog10

Now that basketball season is officially over, I think it's late enough in the year to start talking 2021 football. What are everyone's predictions for this season?

My predictions:
1) Columbus Grove (not biased at all ;))
- They obviously lose a ton of seniors but bring back Metzger, some good receivers, and the bulk of their 2020 defensive starters. I expect them to stay in the top 3 and fight for the league championship again.

2) Allen East
- They didn't seem to slow down with their new head coach, they have some good under-classmen that should keep them in the top 3

3) Leipsic
- New to most of the league, but are always big, fast, and physical

4) Spencerville
- Not sure what they have back, they didn't play Grove last year. Only put them above Crestview because Sommers is returning

5) Crestview
- If I'm correct they were very senior heavy in 2020 and have a new head coach and coordinators, even though not new to the program I could see them struggling this year

6) Jefferson
- Still young but improving program, could maybe finish .500 or better depending on their numbers and talent

7) Bluffton
- Shouldn't be as low as they are but it doesn't seem like they've gotten any better in the last 3 years and their numbers keep dropping.

8) Ada
- Complete overhaul project, will be interesting to see if Smith can turn them around quickly but until then they're last in the NWC

I agree with your assessment for the most part, but think you could interchange the top 3 in any order. I do think the conference will be more competitive thru the the top half of teams and will probably see a double loss league champ this year

I agree with your assessment for the most part, but think you could interchange the top 3 in any order. I do think the conference will be more competitive thru the the top half of teams and will probably see a double loss league champ this year
When was the last time that happened? I can't think of one without looking at the league's website

When was the last time that happened? I can't think of one without looking at the league's website
Wow, ok I may have to take that back..I just looked it up. 1968 Allen East Delphos Jefferson & Paulding tied atop the conference identical league records of 7-2

As a Paulding fan, it’s going to be a bit before I break the habit of clicking anything NWC for anything Panther related. Had some fun memories when I was in school of some great games and moments and met some great people in the league. Good luck to everyone going forward!

As a Paulding fan, it’s going to be a bit before I break the habit of clicking anything NWC for anything Panther related. Had some fun memories when I was in school of some great games and moments and met some great people in the league. Good luck to everyone going forward!
Back at ya. I for one did not really mind the long drive on a Friday night. Now I will admit the drive after a weekday baseball game was another story.
Good Luck in the GMC

1.Grove- lost a great senior class, but they have so much depth with 6 straight classes being NWC JH Champs, and no drop of numbers that other schools see. This will be a power run oriented team built around Colin Metzger and tons of overall talent.
2.Leipsic- solid at lot of the positions on both sides. No superstar, but good talent across the board and good numbers. Defense will be fast and physical.
3. Crestview- actually did not graduate a lot. But did graduate 2 kids who carried the team in Logan Geradot and Brody Brecht. Big offensive line coming back, but they do need to get better cause Geradot and Brecht created a lot on their own. Overall depth is good.
4. AE- Like Grove lost a great senior class, but have enough talent coming back to compete. Freshman RB last year (can't remember name) that saw some carries will be a playmaker the next 3 years.
5. Spencerville- having not seen them in person, hard to judge. Great coaches and disciplined program tells me they have a chance to be higher than I have them.
6.Bluffton- talent is getting better. Big on the lines. Lost playmakers. If they want to move up, players are going have to step up.
Delphos Jefferson-Starting to find consistency in the coaching staff. That's a big deal. Now development of the off season program is huge. Getting the athletes to play.
7.Ada- Numbers are going to be up. Optimism is good. First thing first, the weight room has got to get better. The skill positions looked like JH kids last year. New coach sounds like he has a good reputation. Don't know his style, but if he wants to be a spread team, he needs his WR's to be 160-190 lbs. not 130-150. Defense had the same problem. Attitude and weight room will change this program around.

Freshman class has 3-4 kids who will compete for playing time next year. Barazza I believe will eventually become a WR sooner rather than later. His body type, speed, athleticism, and depth at the running back it just makes sense. Reminds me of Alex Schneider. Gannon will compete at LB. Mayes could become a stud on defense. Probably DE. This team will be deep. Still has playmakers like Metzger, Douglas, J. Schroeder, and maybe the best kicker/punter in Ohio no matter what division. Saying all that, they gotta work. Can't rest.

That is crazy.. incredible numbers for an NWC school
Coaching consistency is huge for keeping numbers up in a school the size of Grove. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any coaching turnover at the HS, JH, or youth level in the last 3-4 years for the first time in a long time

Coaching consistency is huge for keeping numbers up in a school the size of Grove. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any coaching turnover at the HS, JH, or youth level in the last 3-4 years for the first time in a long time
Was a little iffy when Schaffer 1st came over from Cory but glad CG stuck it out with him. Good Coach

Man, Paulding is fully in the GMC already by this Fall? When did all that become official? Was it even before this past football season? I would've guessed it would've taken one more season to exit.

Man, Paulding is fully in the GMC already by this Fall? When did all that become official? Was it even before this past football season? I would've guessed it would've taken one more season to exit.
It was because of Holgate leaving for the BBC. One for one. It became official that they’d be leaving the NWC for the GMC in either January or February 2020 so yes they knew. I think with Paulding just replacing Holgate on everyone’s GMC schedules, that was easy to do and then Holgate joining the BBC meant they’d go from a double round robin to a single so they would’ve been reconfiguring schedules anyway so it wasn’t too much of a waiting game.

Freshman class has 3-4 kids who will compete for playing time next year. Barazza I believe will eventually become a WR sooner rather than later. His body type, speed, athleticism, and depth at the running back it just makes sense. Reminds me of Alex Schneider. Gannon will compete at LB. Mayes could become a stud on defense. Probably DE. This team will be deep. Still has playmakers like Metzger, Douglas, J. Schroeder, and maybe the best kicker/punter in Ohio no matter what division. Saying all that, they gotta work. Can't rest.

Easy killer.....they are just 8th graders.

I am very interested to see what Crestview looks like with the new coaching staff. While they lost some great players in Brecht, Geradot and Kreischer, their offensive and defensive lines as pretty much intact. They bring back their QB from last year, along with talented WR's in Jackson, Jones and Lichtensteiger. I also believe there is a younger brother to Wade Sheets that will be a freshman, who should be in the mix as well. This is an athletic group, that should be fun to watch.