youth freestyle in ohio

wrestlfan

why is it so dead as far as tournaments go? Indiana, pa, and michigan put together quality youth fs tournaments. Why not Ohio? As many money makers that pop up, a youth freestyle event seems like one that could go

why is it so dead as far as tournaments go? Indiana, pa, and michigan put together quality youth fs tournaments. Why not Ohio? As many money makers that pop up, a youth freestyle event seems like one that could go

Under normal circumstances (non-covid) they do youth right along with all other ages at the qualifiers. So normally there are youth events nearly each weekend.

Under normal circumstances (non-covid) they do youth right along with all other ages at the qualifiers. So normally there are youth events nearly each weekend.

but there are hardly ever ANY youth kids there. If you have someone else within one weight class of you, you are lucky. It is mostly multiple combined weight classes and ages. The turnout for these are horrible.
It seems with some promotion, we could get kids to go to them

You got me there - that is true. I don't see very many kids practicing at the club practices that I go to and those clubs market like crazy. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I just don't think very many kids do it at least from around the area that I'm in. A lot of those kids play other sports in the spring and parents seem reluctant to get them involved in the Olympic styles. I told a mom last night that she needed a USA wrestling card for her son to compete and she said - "He's not competing, he's just going to practice."

But your first post acted like there are not events offered in Ohio. It wasn't about participation at events that are offered.

You got me there - that is true. I don't see very many kids practicing at the club practices that I go to and those clubs market like crazy. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I just don't think very many kids do it at least from around the area that I'm in. A lot of those kids play other sports in the spring and parents seem reluctant to get them involved in the Olympic styles. I told a mom last night that she needed a USA wrestling card for her son to compete and she said - "He's not competing, he's just going to practice."

But your first post acted like there are not events offered in Ohio. It wasn't about participation at events that are offered.
agree.... i wasnt clear. i have tossed around the idea of a large open mat with coaches, refs, scheduled matches and coach the kids up through practice matches.. no awards, no places.. just a bunch of practice matches... no one has ever really bought in to the idea. id pay well for it...
i think if you got a few of the top kids to put out that they would be there and then market it it would go crazy and attract some publicity to it going forward..

I told a mom last night that she needed a USA wrestling card for her son to compete and she said - "He's not competing, he's just going to practice."
Why do you think that is? Was it the $40 for the USA card ? Or was it that he has other obligations to other sports? I would be bummed out if a kid couldn't compete due to a lack of funds. On the flip side I back the kid that wants to compete in other sports.

Why do you think that is? Was it the $40 for the USA card ? Or was it that he has other obligations to other sports? I would be bummed out if a kid couldn't compete due to a lack of funds. On the flip side I back the kid that wants to compete in other sports.

No idea - had to get a USA Card to practice there anyway for liability purposes and she didn't seem averse to that. If I see her again, I'll ask, but I got the impression that it was more the kid just wanted to practice, but not compete, based on the look on his face. :)

agree.... i wasnt clear. i have tossed around the idea of a large open mat with coaches, refs, scheduled matches and coach the kids up through practice matches.. no awards, no places.. just a bunch of practice matches... no one has ever really bought in to the idea. id pay well for it...
i think if you got a few of the top kids to put out that they would be there and then market it it would go crazy and attract some publicity to it going forward..

That is the direction I went when putting together an Olympic Style Spring Schedule this year . We had our first practice on Monday and had 50+ kids and getting them mat time is at a premium after the last year and the lack of events. Our staff will be coaching any kids interested in going to qualifiers but with so few events in SWOH I contacted clubs to setup "duals" (pair up approximate skilled/same size and have the coaches coach/officiate.)

We have a mix of 5/6th graders (10), JH (10), HS Girls (15) and HS Boys (20+).

After the the last year our staff is working to get as much mat time as possible for the kids that want it. This weekend we have Gladiator WC (Xenia area) coming down and a few other clubs in the coming weeks.

Any one who might read this and is interested we have a 4 mat facility and can host people. We are not charging anyone to compete, we just want competitive mat time - shoot me an email maffeyn@masonohioschools.com

That is the direction I went when putting together an Olympic Style Spring Schedule this year . We had our first practice on Monday and had 50+ kids and getting them mat time is at a premium after the last year and the lack of events. Our staff will be coaching any kids interested in going to qualifiers but with so few events in SWOH I contacted clubs to setup "duals" (pair up approximate skilled/same size and have the coaches coach/officiate.)

We have a mix of 5/6th graders (10), JH (10), HS Girls (15) and HS Boys (20+).

After the the last year our staff is working to get as much mat time as possible for the kids that want it. This weekend we have Gladiator WC (Xenia area) coming down and a few other clubs in the coming weeks.

Any one who might read this and is interested we have a 4 mat facility and can host people. We are not charging anyone to compete, we just want competitive mat time - shoot me an email maffeyn@masonohioschools.com

thats awesome. we should get our clubs together. We have a crazy mix of kids with youth state champs and placers, but mostly new to fs