2021 OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS

JO cuts a bunch of weight. A bunch! He starts his cut around 180lbs to get to 65kg or 143.3lbs

that's crazy. Hard enough to be competitive in the sport at the age of 30+, but to cut that much weight....he has to also be losing muscle mass and keeping some of the excess weight in places where it will not come off before the muscles starts to feed the body during weight cutting. I assume there are no weigh outs after the finals 2 of 3 matches. I guessing he would have been 150+.

Hope he doesn't do a Daniel Cormier when he gets to Tokyo. If I remember correctly Cormier made weight, but ended up in a hospital and almost died from the huge weight cut when his kidneys shut down. He was not allowed to wrestle at all after the hospital stay.

I'm thinking he better not let his weight get above say - a 149lb weigh in before training sessions during the Olympic training camps, and taking it slowly lower to around 147? for his weigh ins and being plenty hydrated at that level.

he could lose a pound just by removing all the ink in those tats....

Oliver has never wrestled up at 70kg, so I am guessing the weight cut to 65 isn’t too hard for him.

Oliver has never wrestled up at 70kg, so I am guessing the weight cut to 65 isn’t too hard for him.
Not for World Team Trials, but he often wrestles 70kg in non-major tournaments. Even going to back to 2014 JO wrestled 70kg at Farrell, and won Schultz in 2017 at 70kg as well.

Not for World Team Trials, but he often wrestles 70kg in non-major tournaments. Even going to back to 2014 JO wrestled 70kg at Farrell, and won Schultz in 2017 at 70kg as well.
My bad, I went back to 2018 and didn’t see him at 70kg. I still think if the cut was really difficult for him, he would be wrestling at 70kg more often and more recently. Although I guess his suspension may have played a role since he returned so close to an Olympic year.

He cuts another eleven pounds from 70kg to get to 65kg, I can't believe it's, not difficult? It's just what he does I guess...
We've had some legendary weight cutters.

Last edited:
They HAVE to make the finals to qualify the weight for the Olympics.

Oliver's cut was steep, let's leave it at that. That's what I've been told.

For all the talent we've had at the 65/66 kilo weight over the years, it's been one we have been rather poor in during international competition. Unless I'm missing something, the last two medals we've had in that weight class were Zadick at Worlds in 2006 and Jamil Kelly in the Olympics in 2004.

So timeline stolen from another site. Cox shows up at roughly 7:25 believing weigh ins are 8:00-8:30. That’s what Kevin Jackson told him. UWW weigh ins end 2 hrs before the start of wrestling. So scales close at 8:00. At 8:04 Cox weighs in a few tenths of a kilo over weight. After a short workout Cox weighs in under weight at 8:13. USA wrestling committee is asked to vote and says no. Believe what you like. I’m not buying it. Jackson is employed by USA wrestling. He knows the times. If he doesn’t then why was only Cox late and over weight. The rest of the team weighed in on time and made weight. I, like most want the best team on the mat in Tokyo. I don’t believe the best team includes someone that can’t show up on time and make weight. What stops them from the same shenanigans at the Olympics. I will say although I think it’s bs I do applaud Jackson for trying to take one for the team. He has his back, a coach should.

No true 2nd either. So if Jordan Oliver draws 2016 Olympic champ Khinchegashvili round 1 and loses, he's out.

That is pretty crappy. If you hav a tournament to qualify the weight for the Olympics it should hav a true 2nd. Its all on the draw, not the two best wrestlers.

KJ took the fall. I don't believe that J'Den is placing any blame besides what he was told from his coach?
J'Den said, "you guys are much more worried about it than I am." That's what Willie Saylor from Matscouts reported yesterday...

Did Snyder take any shots against Moore? I watched both matches and I don't think he did. Maybe I missed one or two. Now we all knew Snyder was going to win and the matches were not expected to be competitive. But if Kyle learned not to shoot at NLWC, and only to defend, I'm not sure that's progress. I guess we'll find out in Tokyo.
Not sure you can say that about NLWC when you have guys like Taylor, Lee, Retheford, Nolf, etc constantly attacking... My assumption is that they took an already great wrestler in Snyder and gave him a proper gameplan against a worthy opponent.

Weigh Ins & J' Cox...
While I'm 100% for accountability, at the level of the Olympic trials, where pretty much everything is at stake, a little latitude is in order. If it is a certainty that someone, or something (i.e. like the Coach) error'ed in giving the weigh-in time, as long as the wrestler STILL makes weight in a reasonable time PRIOR to the 1st match...he should be aloud to compete.
As his opponent...that's how I'd want it. Not to win the thing by default. My 2 cents...

"100% for accountability" and then a bunch of excuses why this time it should be different?
Everything was at stake for every competitor and only one didn't manage to do what had to be done?
"A reasonable time"?? What is a reasonable time to you? Might be different to me. I would say that a reasonable time is being where you are supposed to be for the weigh-ins. Being a big name should not convey any extra considerations.
BTW, the opponents did not win by default. Since he didn't make weight, he was not placed in the bracket.

Cox arrived at the venue at 7:21 AM, 39 minutes before the scales closed. This time is verifiable via Cox’s official athlete credential. These credentials, equipped with an automated barcode, are used to track when any athlete, coach, trainer, official, administrator, and media member enters a building or other designated event area. When that happens, a barcode scans and a time records.

Maybe Cox is having some issues. It doesn't make him a bad person whatsoever. It's the only logical answer I can think of. IMO

Isnt there usually 2 tournaments after our trials to qualify the weight?
Yes. There are usually two "Last Chance" opportunities to qualify the weight after Worlds and Pan-Ams. The last time there was only three opportunities to qualify was 2004, where a total of 19 spots per weight could be earned. This year, that number is 16.

On a minor note, North Korea has announced they will not compete at the 2020 Olympics in any event, including wrestling, where they had two women's qualifiers already. The biggest loss is Pak Yong-Mi, who was a world champ in 2019 at 53kg, where Jacarra Winchester will compete for Team USA.

Snyder is our guy. He's been our guy since what, 2016? (If I'm wrong, someone will tell me. I'm not looking it up.)
Superman! I'm happy to take our shot with him. KMFS!!! ✌

On a minor note, North Korea has announced they will not compete at the 2020 Olympics in any event, including wrestling, where they had two women's qualifiers already. The biggest loss is Pak Yong-Mi, who was a world champ in 2019 at 53kg, where Jacarra Winchester will compete for Team USA.
I immediately wanted to give that a thumbs up, but I hate to hear that. ?

Snyder is our guy. He's been our guy since what, 2016? (If I'm wrong, someone will tell me. I'm not looking it up.)
Superman! I'm happy to take our shot with him. KMFS!!! ✌
Actually since 2015 when he won his 1st World title. Then he won an Olympic gold, another World gold, a World silver, and a World bronze.

So timeline stolen from another site. Cox shows up at roughly 7:25 believing weigh ins are 8:00-8:30. That’s what Kevin Jackson told him. UWW weigh ins end 2 hrs before the start of wrestling. So scales close at 8:00. At 8:04 Cox weighs in a few tenths of a kilo over weight. After a short workout Cox weighs in under weight at 8:13. USA wrestling committee is asked to vote and says no. Believe what you like. I’m not buying it. Jackson is employed by USA wrestling. He knows the times. If he doesn’t then why was only Cox late and over weight. The rest of the team weighed in on time and made weight. I, like most want the best team on the mat in Tokyo. I don’t believe the best team includes someone that can’t show up on time and make weight. What stops them from the same shenanigans at the Olympics. I will say although I think it’s bs I do applaud Jackson for trying to take one for the team. He has his back, a coach should.

This is a lot different than was first reported to be a couple pounds overweight. If he got there at 7:20-something, why didn't he head over right away to check his weight? I would assume they had scales to check weight on. I would have also thought he would see other guys coming in (or leaving) after a weigh-in. No one said anything to him about time or "better hurry up" - and he didn't ask anyone about why they were leaving so early if weigh-ins were from 8 to 8:30? It is really unfortunate that he did not figure it out a little faster - I'm sure he could have made weight and been on time. It's kinda like getting those picks in on time for the Big Ten tourney.... You forget, then scramble around and end up with guys in the wrong weight class. I know exactly how J'den feels. Same-same with the disappointment (jkg of course)