Bearcats basketball 2020-2021

I mean, I'm all on the hate Brannen train but Mason turned out pretty solid as a true freshman.

He was a good complimentary player but he's not the type of player that's going to make UC a perennial NCAA team again.

Sean Kilpatrick, Jacob Evans, Gary Clark, Jarron Cumberland, Kyle Washington, Keith Williams.

All of those guys were top 100-150 recruits that helped elevate the program and keep it at a sustainable high level.

Houston has seemed to mimic UC's approach to recruiting/culture and look where they are now.

UC seems like they're light-years away from that type of success.

He was a good complimentary player but he's not the type of player that's going to make UC a perennial NCAA team again.

Sean Kilpatrick, Jacob Evans, Gary Clark, Jarron Cumberland, Kyle Washington, Keith Williams.

All of those guys were top 100-150 recruits that helped elevate the program and keep it at a sustainable high level.

Houston has seemed to mimic UC's approach to recruiting/culture and look where they are now.

I don't disagee but I'm not expecting Mason to be a leader on this team at any point in his 4 years. There's room for role players on every team.

Not sure Id include Keith Williams in that list. And Washington was a NC Sr transfer, right?

Not sure Id include Keith Williams in that list. And Washington was a NC Sr transfer, right?

My point was that UC was most successful (recently) when they could develop guys who were top 100-150 recruits in HS. Keith was #128 on 247. Kyle was #86. Albeit Kyle arrived as a transfer, but he spent 3 years in the program so we could still mold his raw talent a bit during that time.

Keith didn't thrive in the alpha role this year but he was as good of a #2/#3 guy that we could ask for during the prior two seasons.

I struggle to see Brannen landing these caliber of players going forward. He doesn't seem to have good recruiting chops. And until we're able to do that again, I can't see us matching the prolonged success we had under Cronin.

Sounds like this is going to get messy....

Capture.PNG

If they find something could they fire him for cause and get out of the buyout?
I believe so. Problem is nothing has come out in the last two weeks that would be cause for firing I don't think. I think this news just creates more questions. If you are just now beginning a review, what has been going on the last couple weeks? Negotiating a lower buyout? Brannen told them to pound sand? This is the card UC plays now? Who knows what they're thinking. Maybe the AD is sitting on something we haven't heard about yet.

Sounds to me like they're playing a card to try to make it easier to pressure him out, whether by a negotiated buyout or by trying to maneuver for an angle to force him out him with cause. Odds are IMO they may be trying to make a big deal out of something they would have been perfectly okay looking the other way on if the results and the trajectory going forward were fine.

Reading a few different things this afternoon it sounds like they are specifically looking into treatment of players...deciphered that is code for we don't have the money we need for a buyout.

Reading a few different things this afternoon it sounds like they are specifically looking into treatment of players...deciphered that is code for we don't have the money we need for a buyout.

It's an embarrassing situation for all involved. The quicker UC settles with Brannen the better.

They are going to have to hit the transfer portal hard this year. They need to make a decision ASAP or just pick up 7 walk-ons.

This AD is a total FN joke! Has not spoke to Coach or Members of Coaching Staff in over 2 weeks. WTF is recruiting for UC Basketball? What an absolute ?!
Dragging this out seems extremely costly. No player in their right mind is going to commit to the program with all this uncertainty.

Haven’t followed this extremely closely, the general thinking is he didn’t do anything major for an “at-cause” firing but they just want him gone and don’t want to pay the buyout so they are turning up every stone?

Do a little research on the coach at the northern terminus of I-71 who had his team in the NCAA tourney. His pedigree is excellent and his team culture is excellent. The more I’ve followed him the more I’m convinced he will do a great job for many years at a higher level program. Might be a little unproven for UC’s liking, but I would bet on him succeeding there or anywhere. He has that “it” factor that make players want to run through a wall for him.

Dragging this out seems extremely costly. No player in their right mind is going to commit to the program with all this uncertainty.

Haven’t followed this extremely closely, the general thinking is he didn’t do anything major for an “at-cause” firing but they just want him gone and don’t want to pay the buyout so they are turning up every stone?

AD should be Fired immediately! Can’t believe this AD is so stupid or arrogant that he doesn’t know the other UC Head Coaches and Staffs are watching this crap! Who worth a ? would want to come here and work for this Clown? Doesn’t matter the sport.

It sure looks that way. What a dumpster fire. This is the kind of situation that would give someone great hesitancy to take a HC job at UC in any sport barring having either a connection to the school or getting a pay raise that's so big you compared to your current situation that you can't say no to them.

If this isn't resolved in a fairly timely manner the AD deserves to be fired.

Do a little research on the coach at the northern terminus of I-71 who had his team in the NCAA tourney. His pedigree is excellent and his team culture is excellent. The more I’ve followed him the more I’m convinced he will do a great job for many years at a higher level program. Might be a little unproven for UC’s liking, but I would bet on him succeeding there or anywhere. He has that “it” factor that make players want to run through a wall for him.

Dennis Gates at Cleveland St?

Regardless of what happens with the coach, he is now officially on the hot seat. He probably has at max 2 years to win, meaning 1 produce a winning record, 2 compete for a league title, and 3 make the ncaa tournament. If neither of these happens, he’ll be out. Just 2 years if that.

He’d be worth interviewing. I’m not sure I’d hire him over Archie Miller or Bryce Drew.
That’s why they do the interviews, of course. They might go in with a favorite in mind, but come out of the process with someone else who blew them away. You never know.

Plus, sometimes you interview someone you might think isn’t ready today, but could be down the road. You establish a relationship. Maybe your first choice fails, or moves on in a couple years. Then you go back to a Gates type that’s now more seasoned and ready and you already know what he’s about and vice versa.