Overrated movies

I agree on The Dark Knight. I think Heath Ledger's untimely death helped it get high ratings. Or maybe I'm just burned out on superhero flicks.
I initially loved the Dark Knight movies. Went back to rewatch them a few years ago and it's amazing how bad they are.

Caddyshack
I also agree Caddyshack is overrated but I initially watched it about 15-20 years after it came out. Because everybody kept saying 'Ya gotta watch caddyshack' until I finally did. Probably would have a different opinion if I watched it when it came out.

I couldn't get into Crash. Not really a Tarantino fan, except for Jackie Brown. Basically to see a smoking middle aged Pam Grier

I never cared for Rear Window, although critics love it.

I know, I know... Alfred Hitchcock, James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Raymond Burr...with a director and actors like that, it has to be great! Just not for me.
I love most Hitchcock films, but never felt Vertigo was all that great.

I also agree Caddyshack is overrated but I initially watched it about 15-20 years after it came out. Because everybody kept saying 'Ya gotta watch caddyshack' until I finally did. Probably would have a different opinion if I watched it when it came out.

I couldn't get into Crash. Not really a Tarantino fan, except for Jackie Brown. Basically to see a smoking middle aged Pam Grier

I’ve always said, WHEN you watch a movie for the first time is very important in how you perceive it.

Last edited:
I’ve always said, WHEN you watch a movie for the first time is very important in how you perceive it.
That's true.

In the Fall of '78, I had just moved into a fraternity house, and we all saw Animal House in the theater, very timely.

I don't think that is an overrated film.

That's true.

In the Fall of '78, I had just moved into a fraternity house, and we all saw Animal House in the theater, very timely.

Similar story for me.

I saw Animal House in college when it first came out, at the Talawanda Flicker Palace, an old run-down movie theater in Oxford. The place was packed with rowdy drunk students. The theater had sloped floors and you could hear empty beer cans rolling down the entire movie. Great time. Hilarious movie. Not overrated.

That's true.

And for me, it was probably at least 25 years old before I saw it, so while I like it, it doesn’t hit me the same way it does others.

That's true.

200.gif

My first thought was Citizen Kane but it's tough to evaluate that movie by modern standards. It was the first to do so many things that are still done today. I guess it's one of those highly influential, trendsetting pieces that aren't truly great, kind of like The Beatles

Though this scene is great

Raising Arizona.
Not everyone's cup of tea, to be sure. I didn't think it was popular enough to be overrated. ?
I still don't know what that movie was about.
My synopsis? It's a surreal love story of two unhappy selfish people who eventually set aside their own desires at the end for the greater good. I remember seeing it on Cinemax in the late 1980's, and I'd watch it over and over again because it was so different and there were so many interesting details inserted.

Any of the Monty Python movies. The lovers of MP like to think of themselves as ultra smart and the dummies just don’t understand the humor. To me, I just find the “humor” stupid or lacking altogether.

Raising Arizona.
I still don't know what that movie was about.
True. Only thing good about that movie was the occasional scenes where the Superstition Mountains in Apache Jct were in the background. For those that have hiked in or seen the Superstitions in person, you know how beautiful they are.

True. Only thing good about that movie was the occasional scenes where the Superstition Mountains in Apache Jct were in the background. For those that have hiked in or seen the Superstitions in person, you know how beautiful they are.
Agree on all points.

This will kill some of you, but...........anything Star Wars.

A classic snoozer- The Wizard of Oz.

Agree on both. however if you are into turn of the century US monetary policy and how it projects in to today's economics. Re watch the Wizard of OZ...you may need a toke or 2 to fully understand that theory... Same with volume down and Dark Side of the Moon.

One movie right now that's a darling of the critics that I really thought wasn't anything special is Nomadland. It's not bad but some think it is the best movie of the year. Frances McDormand crapping in a bucket does not result in a great cinematic experience.

Glad you checked it out. I lived in Apache Junction for three years as a kid. It was absolutely amazing. Below is one of my favorite vistas of the back side of the Superstitions, taken from Boulder Canyon Trail. The tall pointy peak in the rear is Weavers Needle. I have camped many a time is this part of the mountains. It is as rugged as it looks. BTW, this vista is in the opening part of the first Twighlight movie.
78649-60512_1606600972-08.jpg