Centerville Elks 2021, 2022, 2023 State Champions

In an era where just about everything is upside down, backwards & sideways, including our country, I guess I'd believe anything...Double Wow.

Their average margin of victory was 18 points for the season. They won 23 of their final 24 games, losing only to D2 state champs SVSM in the 4th quarter. Beat #5 Elder & #3 Moeller, #1 Mentor (by 14 points) & #7 Westerville Central in their last four games to win the state championship....and finished at 26-3 & state champions.

But somehow "Elks would have been better with Njie"??? So you mean 29-0 and a margin of victory of 20+??? Isn't "better" kind of irrelevant at this point ??? Maybe just maybe the "intangibles" wouldn't have been as good. The chemistry. I don't know but as a casual observer I would say in the end it didn't matter.
it is hard to improve on those results, but still would have been better with him. Don't be surprised if he comes back to the Ville next year.

He may leave if Dad gets a coaching job at the Prep school. Could explain why he is playing AAU for a team in Indiana.

If the coach ever leaves Centerville it will be to coach at a prep school or a smaller college IMO...that said, a lot of good players in Dayton and Cincinnati have played for Spiece/Indy Heat over the years. That doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In a one off tournament, there is no guarantee of winning a title, no matter how good a team is - especially if you have to clear through a tough D1 path. I mean look at Moeller this year, they were the pre-tournament favorite and got eliminated by Centerville.

If the referees interpret a late game foul differently (i.e. call it a shooting foul instead of a common foul), Centerville is likely eliminated in the regional final and Moeller is in the state final four.

No question about it...To win a state title, especially D1, a whole lotta things have to go right. Unless you are truly one of those special teams with multiple college level talent. Centerville, the past 2-3 weeks was really peaking, yet they could very easily have lost to Moeller, Westerville Central, or even Elder had they not been at their best.
Most years in D1, its very close between the top teams.

Lets talk for a moment about why you would purposely transfer from a HS D1 state championship team from a much respected sports state like Ohio, whose team returns virtually everyone and your Dad is the Coach... Hmmmmmmm, lets see???
1) Mom & Dad are getting divorced and Mom is moving ( Havn't heard this)
2) You weren't getting any playing time (uh...No)
3) You were on a Div. 6 invisible team from the middle-of-nowhere and getting "0" exposure and playing nobody (Uh...No again)
4) You have a chance to play & start for the defending Big school 6-time NATIONAL Champion for whom everyone starting goes straight to the NBA
Does such a Prep school exist? Would it be in Indiana, or more likely in Hollywood?
How about the potential downsides for such a transfer...
- You lose your much respected local identity, fan base, teammates & friends
- Your new school underachieves, while your old school goes on to win another state championship
- Your much loved Dad is no longer your Coach and you don't particularly care much for the new one.
- You don't fit in very well with your new teammates, have as many great friends & you fail to live up to expectations
Lets see...What would I do...Hmmm
"I'd stay at Centerville! Are you kidding me?
La lumiere in Indiana is one of biggest prep schools in country. But it doesn’t make sense for him to leave now

Last edited:
La lumiere in Indiana is one of biggest prep schools in country. But it doesn’t make sense for him to leave now

I dunno..... Prep schools play more games and all across the Country. They can also play for a National Title. He just won state so maybe that is the next step. Personally I am against all these Prep schools and hope they vanish but that is nothing more than a pipe dream.

how does and how much does a prep school help a kid in recruiting ? in todays age where aau in offseason is so popular every kid has eyeballs on them. Prep to me helps more of the kids who are raw and don't have great high school coaching/access to great skill development 24/7. Cupps has all that. I can also see a benefit to players at a small school but here Cupps is at a D1 school. Centerville can schedule anybody - teams like Bronnys and other prep teams if they want more exposure/competition. That would be a great story to stay at centerville and play bronnys team as seniors and beat them.

But if I had to build a case for Cupps at Lu Lumeire I could do so
-Ironically Cupps dad may be holding him back with play style and perhaps Brooke knows this. Cupps long range shooting is better in an up tempo style. Cupps is also going to benefit from not having the best defender on him every single night. He will likely be a 3rd option at preps - and puts him in a situation more like he will be in college so colleges have a better evaluation of him in that role. And I think cupps thrives better in that role - a great all around teammate who does the little things and hits big shots.
- At the end of the day colleges will not be able to have any question marks about cupps doing it at a traditional white school where some colleges may question his athleticism as to just how high tier of a prospect he is.. There may just be just even 1 more eye looking at his games that can get him that big time scholarship. I'm also sure Moe Njie's success at a prep school has an influence. Njie is scoring the ball at DME. The stats may be even better elsewhere.

i don’t think the race argument is valid. Centerville plays in the GWOC, which has many culturally diverse schools.

Wow, bringing race into it now, eh?

Because we KNOW there aren't many people, even professional coaches that think in stereotypes? You're probably not going to tell a whole board full of people that have heard the comments, one way or the other, that it's not an issue when viewing subjective performance. And the best way for someone victim of stereotypes? Get themselves on equal footing to prove their worth. I can think of one white pg in the MAC (BGSU). His coach is black, someone maybe used to looking past stereotypes? It's interesting enough to be discussion worthy, if a bit heated for this board.

Do people still hear coaches talk through stereotypes, even bigotries? I once had a gym teacher tell me I couldn't play center. He SAID it was because I was short and slow but I knew what he was really thinking. It was because I was white(ish). It happens!

I do not know if many people have actually watched many of these prep schools play lately. It is horrible basketball.
It is glorified AAU. Not a lot of skill development. just a lot of 1 on 1 . That is the purpose. He would be far better off staying where he is. I am sure his dad the coach knows the ins and outs of recruiting and he will guide him in the best way possible

Cupps is coaching for Adidas circuit team in Cincy Gabe is playing for him at 17U with the kid Rwed Sheppard out on KY.

Don't see them doing anything but trying to run it back for Centerville .. they're in control at the HS and with AAU now. This is what he's wanted.

After conquering Ohio, Cupps should play overseas for a year or two and then head to the NBA...I could see him and Lebron going at it for a ring here in the near future. Keep in mind that I have been accurate in every prediction so far before negating this post. Have a good weekend everyone!

After conquering Ohio, Cupps should play overseas for a year or two and then head to the NBA...I could see him and Lebron going at it for a ring here in the near future. Keep in mind that I have been accurate in every prediction so far before negating this post. Have a good weekend everyone!
5’11” 145 Lbs maybe. He is staying in Centerville ?

Just heard Cupps recruited a 6'9 kid from Prolific Prep to Centerville... kid will also play AAU with his team ... seems like recruiting is a prerequisite for state champions, eh????

Just heard Cupps recruited a 6'9 kid from Prolific Prep to Centerville... kid will also play AAU with his team ... seems like recruiting is a prerequisite for state champions, eh????
I have also heard that from people close to the elks program that mike is coming

Well, they just won state without this mystery person.