2021 OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS

MPhillips

2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Wrestling, Fort Worth, TX, 04/02/2021 - 04/03/2021

Schedule of Events:
U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Wrestling (All times are Central)

Friday, April 2
Session I – Challenge Tournament: Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Consolation Rds* (ALL STYLES AND WEIGHTS)
10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
*Championship matches will wrestle prior to Consolation Rounds
Session II – Challenge Tournament: Semifinals and Finals (ALL STYLES AND WEIGHTS)
6:30 PM – 10:00 PM

Saturday, April 3
Session III – Challenge Tournament: Consolations, 3rd Place and True 3rd (ALL STYLES AND WEIGHTS)
12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Session IV – Best 2 out of 3 Championship Series (ALL STYLES AND WEIGHTS)
6:30 PM – 10:00 PM

Snyder and Burroughs have a bye to the Final. I believe Gwiz will be #1 seed. I figure Taylor will get the #1 seed as well.
#1 seed for 57kg is the only #1 seed, 'mystery.' (It would have still been a mystery even if Spencer was wrestling.)

Five days. Can't wait!

Reactions: GWF

I believe Gwiz will be #1 seed.
Gwiz is guaranteed the #1 seed, since he is a 2019 World Team member AND qualified the weight.

Television/streaming schedule is linked below. Peacock is a streaming service I haven't used, but from what I understand there are two options- a free streaming service and a "premium" service, which is 5 bucks a month. Best case is wrestling is on the free service, worst case is you pay 5 bucks to watch a weekend of the best wrestlers in the world battle it out.

Gwiz is guaranteed the #1 seed, since he is a 2019 World Team member AND qualified the weight.

Television/streaming schedule is linked below. Peacock is a streaming service I haven't used, but from what I understand there are two options- a free streaming service and a "premium" service, which is 5 bucks a month. Best case is wrestling is on the free service, worst case is you pay 5 bucks to watch a weekend of the best wrestlers in the world battle it out.

No thoughts on Taylor?
Peacock is a good site and simple.(They also have every season of, 'The Office.') I use it to watch EPL matches not on cable.

No thoughts on Taylor?
Peacock is a good site and simple.(They also have every season of, 'The Office.') I use it to watch EPL matches not on cable.
Guessing Taylor will be the one. Hasn't lost domestically in years, qualified the weight. Was just saying Gwiz is guaranteed the 1 seed, while Taylor is only expected to. And if I had to guess, Fix gets the 1 at 57kg? Really not sure, but apparently they are taking the RTC matches into account for seeding, and I think Gilman had two losses in those. I think Gilman/Fix are the top two and will meet in the finals regardless who gets the #1 seed.

Each style has qualified five of six weights.

I know for men's FS that 65 kilos is not qualified. Not sure which weight isn't qualified for women's FS along with (men's) GR.

Could someone lay our a "for dummies" version of what is going on - qualified weights, who's skipped to what stage, etc.

For the men's freestyle ...

57 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Evidently there is no automatic qualifier to the best-of-three, so the final of the challenge tournament will actually be in the best-of-thrre phase. Does anyone carry skips through the challenge tournament?

65 kilos - not qualified for the Olympics
I would presume the one seed is going to be Retherford. Everyone starts in the challenge tournament, and that the "final" of the challenge tournament will be contested in the best-of-three phase

74 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Burroughs is skipped to what stage? Best of three?
If Burroughs is skipped to the best-of-three, then the final of the challenge tournament will be held on Friday.
Dake having won the 2019 world title in a non-Olympic weight is skipped to the final of the challenge tournament, or is it the semifinal?

86 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Evidently there is no automatic qualifier to the best-of-three, so the final of the challenge tournament will actually be in the best-of-three phase
Is Taylor skipped to any point of the challenge tournament? Or is he just the likely top seed?

97 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Snyder is skipped to what stage? Best of three?
If Snyder is skipped to the best-of-three, then the final of the challenge tournament will be held on Friday.
Cox having won the 2019 world title in a non-Olympic weight is skipped to the final of the challenge tournament, or is it the semifinal?

125 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Evidently there is no automatic qualifier to the best-of-three, so the final of the challenge tournament will actually be in the best-of-three phase. Is Gwiazdowski skipped to any point of the challenge tournament? Or is he just the likely top seed?

@bucksman
Burroughs and Snyder are automatically finalist in the best of three series. Dake and Cox need two wins to meet Burroughs and Snyder.
I believe the one seeds are just the one seeds.

Each style has qualified five of six weights.

I know for men's FS that 65 kilos is not qualified. Not sure which weight isn't qualified for women's FS along with (men's) GR.

Could someone lay our a "for dummies" version of what is going on - qualified weights, who's skipped to what stage, etc.

For the men's freestyle ...

57 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Evidently there is no automatic qualifier to the best-of-three, so the final of the challenge tournament will actually be in the best-of-thrre phase. Does anyone carry skips through the challenge tournament?

65 kilos - not qualified for the Olympics
I would presume the one seed is going to be Retherford. Everyone starts in the challenge tournament, and that the "final" of the challenge tournament will be contested in the best-of-three phase

74 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Burroughs is skipped to what stage? Best of three?
If Burroughs is skipped to the best-of-three, then the final of the challenge tournament will be held on Friday.
Dake having won the 2019 world title in a non-Olympic weight is skipped to the final of the challenge tournament, or is it the semifinal?

86 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Evidently there is no automatic qualifier to the best-of-three, so the final of the challenge tournament will actually be in the best-of-three phase
Is Taylor skipped to any point of the challenge tournament? Or is he just the likely top seed?

97 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Snyder is skipped to what stage? Best of three?
If Snyder is skipped to the best-of-three, then the final of the challenge tournament will be held on Friday.
Cox having won the 2019 world title in a non-Olympic weight is skipped to the final of the challenge tournament, or is it the semifinal?

125 kilos - qualified for the Olympics
Evidently there is no automatic qualifier to the best-of-three, so the final of the challenge tournament will actually be in the best-of-three phase. Is Gwiazdowski skipped to any point of the challenge tournament? Or is he just the likely top seed?

All six women's weights are qualified. 4/6 Greco weights are qualified and 5/6 MFS

Just found this a few minutes ago. @Yankeefan33
I'll post the projected seeds I found as well just for discussions sake.

From USA Wrestling - For the upcoming U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling in Fort Worth, Texas, results from the many RTC cards and Special Events, which were developed during the pandemic, will be used as part of the seeding process.
1617030398712.png

EDIT: Here's what brackets should look like. Copied from another.
1617056922294.png

1617056959377.png

1617056982866.png

1617057002448.png

1617057023478.png

1617057043979.png

Last edited:
All six women's weights are qualified. 4/6 Greco weights are qualified and 5/6 MFS
And that's what it's going to be at the Olympics. There is only one Last Chance Qualifier this year, not two like 2016. And remember, USA didn't qualify 65kg last time either, but got in via TWO positive PED tests. There's still excellent wrestlers from Poland, Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, and more that didn't qualify for the Olympics at 65kg and will get to wrestle in their home continent to go to the Olympics, where we will send someone who has never medaled at a world championships to qualify. It's a tall task for sure.

And that's what it's going to be at the Olympics. There is only one Last Chance Qualifier this year, not two like 2016. And remember, USA didn't qualify 65kg last time either, but got in via TWO positive PED tests. There's still excellent wrestlers from Poland, Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, and more that didn't qualify for the Olympics at 65kg and will get to wrestle in their home continent to go to the Olympics, where we will send someone who has never medaled at a world championships to qualify. It's a tall task for sure.

I hope Yianni wins the trials because he's our best chance to qualify the weight since Zain dumbed it up at Pan Ams

Yeah i agree. Glad Oliver has Zain in the semi's, hopefully Oliver can win. Moore and Ferrari first round is fun. Rby and tomasello first round! Im excited

**nevermind, the brackets changed

Last edited:
Seeds are up, https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/March/29/MFS-seeds-for-OTT

57 kg
1. Thomas Gilman
2. Daton Fix
3. Vitali Arujau
4. Seth Gross
5. Nick Suriano
6. Joe Colon
7. Nathan Tomasello
8. Sean Russell
9. Zane Richards
10. Zach Sanders
65 kg
1. Zain Retherford
2. Yianni Diakomihalis
3. Jordan Oliver
4. James Green
5. Joey McKenna
6. Nick Lee
7. Frank Molinaro
8. Anthony Ashnault
9. Nahshon Garrett
10. Evan Henderson
11. Mitch McKee
74 kg
Jordan Burroughs – sitting to best-of-three finals
Kyle Dake – sitting to challenge tournament semifinals
1. Isaiah Martinez
2. Jason Nolf
3. Chance Marsteller
4. Thomas Gantt
5. Logan Massa
6. David Carr
7. Vincenzo Joseph
8. Evan Wick
86 kg
1. David Taylor
2. Zahid Valencia
3. Pat Downey
4. Myles Martin
5. Gabe Dean
6. Bo Nickal
7. Nate Jackson
8. Sam Brooks
9. Brett Pfarr
10. Aaron Brooks
11. Carter Starocci
97 kg
Kyle Snyder – sitting to best-of-three finals
J’den Cox – sitting to challenge tournament semifinals
1. Kollin Moore
2. Hayden Zillmer
3. Mike Macchiavello
4. Kyven Gadson
5. Ty Walz
6. AJ Ferrari
7. Ben Honis
8. Braxton Amos
125 kg
1. Nick Gwiazdowski
2. Gable Steveson
3. Mason Parris
4. Dom Bradley
5. Anthony Nelson
6. Daniel Kerkvliet
7. Tanner Hall
8. Garrett Ryan
9. Jordan Wood

Looks like they took NCAA results into some account, as Ferrari is seeded 6th and not last (win over Amine helps there, no other explanation).

Qualified wrestlers who are not wrestling- Graff, Lee, RBY, Stieber, O'Connor, Lewis, Griffith, Valencia, Dieringer, Kasper, Nevills

Are there any area coaches that made it this far, Carr was an olympian but not coaching in ohio anymore, Alan Fried was a runner up - Medina Highland, has to be others? I see Ty Walz and Tomasello on the list, would be nice to see them hit the local coaching ranks after they stop wrestling competitively

86 kilograms looks like a good weight to me.
This is DT weight class going away. It has to be for his benefit. If not we may never see him wrestle another Olympics.
PDIII coming in hot with the 3 seed! Gets the winner of Starocci/Nickal.
I was hoping Myles would be opposite DT.
Brooks/Pfarr is interesting. As is Jackson and A. Brooks.
Molinaro entering is a complete surprise to me.

Last edited:
If DT can't make it this cycle at 86 then god help him. You've got Zahid then a whole bunch of nothing in terms of international/world class wrestlers. Dieringer isn't competing, Dake chose to go down after Burroughs, Cox went up after Snyder.

If DT can't make it this cycle at 86 then god help him. You've got Zahid then a whole bunch of nothing in terms of international/world class wrestlers. Dieringer isn't competing, Dake chose to go down after Burroughs, Cox went up after Snyder.
Fact.

Honestly speaking, I don't know how much these trials "actually" matter in the long run. I think men's freestyle wins three medals no matter what- Dake/Burroughs, Taylor, and Cox/Snyder. I don't think Gable has the international experience, I don't think Gilman/Fix have the offense, and I don't trust anyone at 65kg to both qualify the weight and win multiple matches against the best in the world. Sure, someone could surprise us- Molinaro was about two inches away from a bronze in 2016, but it's a tough tournament to shock anybody.

Honestly speaking, I don't know how much these trials "actually" matter in the long run. I think men's freestyle wins three medals no matter what- Dake/Burroughs, Taylor, and Cox/Snyder. I don't think Gable has the international experience, I don't think Gilman/Fix have the offense, and I don't trust anyone at 65kg to both qualify the weight and win multiple matches against the best in the world. Sure, someone could surprise us- Molinaro was about two inches away from a bronze in 2016, but it's a tough tournament to shock anybody.

I can agree with a lot of what you say, but I think Yianni and Gable are both very capable.

I can agree with a lot of what you say, but I think Yianni and Gable are both very capable.
I'm very close to actually agreeing with you, with a couple caveats. If you told me 65kg was already qualified and both wrestlers could attend a high-level tournament to get more matches in before the Olympics, I think both could compete for a bronze. Especially Gable, if you tell me he beats Gwiz and gets 3-4 matches in at a tourney like Yarygin or Yasar Dogu this summer I think he is very capable of medaling.