Gas Tank Gary

Yeah probably wouldn't want to hire a 4 time state champ a 4 time national champ and a world champion to the full time mix?????? But could pass on bo i agree there.

But doesn't address their current needs. They need someone who can coach upper weights. I'm not sure what Steiber makes off club and camps but he appears to be doing OK. A lot less stress and time commitment at that level.

Chase Singletary is also transferring (didn't think it needed a separate thread). Another Ohio St upperweight looking for a new home next year.

No he is right. I have said it for years. Ryan great recruiter terrible teacher. Part of that is who he hires. Finally some people are starting to understand the problem lies with the head coach as it does with every sport.
Someone said this on themat forums and people freaked the hell out on him indignation. I don’t know why people can’t acknowledge strengths and weaknesses

Someone said this on themat forums and people freaked the hell out on him indignation. I don’t know why people can’t acknowledge strengths and weaknesses

Yeah, people get sensitive when you speak on someone they admire/look up to, or on a place/establishment they hold near to them. Its too bad.

That being said...
People on TheMat also are just straight smack talking Columbus as a city, and tOSU as a school. A lot of people over there are legitimately (and I HATE using this phrase) just haters and like smearing schools/places they dont like. Its easy to spot - those kind of people just call places hell holes, or some other blanket insult with nothing to back it up. One person already admitted to being a Michigan alum or supporter or whatever, and that is why they said what they said, lol. I'm willing to bet the majority of people saying these things over there have maybe spent a cumulative 6 to 12 days in Columbus over the past decade (and im being generous). The majority of their understanding of tOSU/Columbus is what they see on TV or read online. Same as the majority of us and tOSU Wrestling - especially this past season.

Just gotta know the type of people you usually deal with on message boards. A lot of people just there/here to try and piss others off, or muddy others' perceptions of people/places.

It is one thing to point out Strengths/Weaknesses - its another thing to just slander because you don't like a person, or a place - or your peeved about recent results.

Acknowledging areas that need improvement, and giving praise where it is due though - no one should get bent out of shape over those things. You are very right.

Last edited:
He's been the second best coach in the NCAA for the last 5-6 yrs. People calling for his job is different than people saying the Bucks are terrible on bottom.
Themat is a known wasteland for, 'big mouths' and haters with some good posters and information mixed in. ✌

He's been the second best coach in the NCAA for the last 5-6 yrs. People calling for his job is different than people saying the Bucks are terrible on bottom.
Themat is a known wasteland for, 'big mouths' and haters with some good posters and information mixed in.
You being one of them. I don't post there but go there often to get some of the general non-tOSU specific wrestling news and dialogue (college and international). It's a good resource at times. I also go to PSU and IOWA rivals.com sites to see what they're freaking out about at times.

Chase Singletary is also transferring (didn't think it needed a separate thread). Another Ohio St upperweight looking for a new home next year.
He was a R12-16 type of 285, as was the case with GTG and Orndorff, who AA'ed but just as easily could have been an R12-16. Singletary was a terrible 197, just cutting too much weight.

Themat is a known wasteland for, 'big mouths' and haters with some good posters and information mixed in. ✌
To me it’s more about acknowledging strengths and weaknesses that exist. Those weaknesses for some coaches can be still stronger than lesser ones but I don’t thinks it’s unreasonable to point them out

Yeah, people get sensitive when you speak on someone they admire/look up to, or on a place/establishment they hold near to them. Its too bad.

That being said...
People on TheMat also are just straight smack talking Columbus as a city, and tOSU as a school. A lot of people over there are legitimately (and I HATE using this phrase) just haters and like smearing schools/places they dont like. Its easy to spot - those kind of people just call places hell holes, or some other blanket insult with nothing to back it up. One person already admitted to being a Michigan alum or supporter or whatever, and that is why they said what they said, lol. I'm willing to bet the majority of people saying these things over there have maybe spent a cumulative 6 to 12 days in Columbus over the past decade (and im being generous). The majority of their understanding of tOSU/Columbus is what they see on TV or read online. Same as the majority of us and tOSU Wrestling - especially this past season.

Just gotta know the type of people you usually deal with on message boards. A lot of people just there/here to try and piss others off, or muddy others' perceptions of people/places.

It is one thing to point out Strengths/Weaknesses - its another thing to just slander because you don't like a person, or a place - or your peeved about recent results.

Acknowledging areas that need improvement, and giving praise where it is due though - no one should get bent out of shape over those things. You are very right.
And. Let’s be honest. Love or hate that school in Columbus.. those that love the Bucks can be.... irrational, in their defense lol

Some of the worst fans in the country. (football specific mostly) :censored:
What’s actually kinda funny. Is the worst I’ve met are the living out of state people lol. Even if they were meh on them for them when they were in Ohio.. when they move out.. all of a g***** sudden they’re fanatics

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a time when I would listen to sports radio here in CBUS, but the callers were so negative, I quit listening.
When the expectations in every sport are all or nothing it becomes a circular discussion with the same points over and over and over.
I was guilty as well. I spent a lot of time here early on and way back in the day on JJ Huddle trying to change peoples minds with facts.
And here I am pontificating and I know better. ?‍♂️ If I knew anything I'd be rich.

That being said...

I have spent 31 years in Columbus and it can't begin to compare to State College.

There was a time when I would listen to sports radio here in CBUS, but the callers were so negative, I quit listening.
When the expectations in every sport are all or nothing it becomes a circular discussion with the same points over and over and over.
I was guilty as well. I spent a lot of time here early on and way back in the day on JJ Huddle trying to change peoples minds with facts.
And here I am pontificating and I know better. ?‍♂️ If I knew anything I'd be rich.
How dare you argue with facts???
When it comes to our sports teams, political teams, etc.... emotion > logic

Last edited:
Singletary's story is a tough one, losing his younger brother last year. I like his style, he was a blue chip recruit...maybe a fresh start and reboot is just what the doctor ordered.

I wonder if he could get on the Anthony Cassar diet and training regimen and go back up. He has talent (he may own a victory over Mason Parris). But Hvy is an unbelievably tough weight class these days.

I wish the best for Chase.

How many years did you spend at State College?
I lived in Columbus as a youngin', and I've been there probably 100 times since... I went to school in State College. To me, they don't compare. But that doesn't necessarily mean one is better... apples vs oranges. mountains & valleys vs the city. It really comes down to what you want... as schools they are very similar Big 10 caliber educations with top notch athletics and great social scenes. It really is a matter of preference.

I'm a huge GTG fan, and would have loved to see him suit up in St. Louis, but at the end of the day, it's tough to argue with results. He's not my favorite wrestler to watch but Orndorff did well on the big stage when it counted.

As for Singletary, I was never a big believer... He was always a tweener. I figured 197 was a huge cut, and he was going to need too many years in the weight room to get the weight to compete at Heavy.

Iowa
2021 Champs 1st one since 2010 7 AA 1 Individual Champ
2019 4th 6 AA 1 Individual Champ
2018 3rd 5 AA 1 Individual Champ
2017 4th 5 AA 1 Individual Champ
2016 5th 6 AA

Ohio State
2021 9th 3 AA
2019 2nd 5 AA
2018 2nd 8 AA 1 Individual Champ
2017 2nd 6 AA 1 Individual Champ
2016 3rd 4 AA 2 Individual Champ
When your 2nd your last. The junk yard dogs are fun to watch.

When your 2nd your last. The junk yard dogs are fun to watch.
...for the 1st time in a decade. I actually became an IOWA fan last year b/c I was tired of PSU winning all the time. I'll continue to pull for them in 2021 as tOSU will be battling for 3rd. In 2022 PSU seems poised to make a run again and I don't see tOSU challenging them. I hope I'm wrong, and tOSU could field a very good team in 2022, but PSU will be tough to beat for a while.

Actually, this is the wrong thread for this, but PSU does have some holes, if some of their guys don't pan out. Looking at 2022, Howard certainly isn't a sure thing, same at 149, 157, 165. Lee will be gone so they need to fill 141. And Kerk has a long history of injuries. Next year will be a battle w/ IOWA for the title, but 2022 could be a year for tOSU. One can hope anyway.

...for the 1st time in a decade. I actually became an IOWA fan last year b/c I was tired of PSU winning all the time. I'll continue to pull for them in 2021 as tOSU will be battling for 3rd. In 2022 PSU seems poised to make a run again and I don't see tOSU challenging them. I hope I'm wrong, and tOSU could field a very good team in 2022, but PSU will be tough to beat for a while.
I will respectfully disagree... to me the cabinet is starting to look empty. Karchclavava;labssv is awesome. Sasso is a title threat. Romero is solid 3-6. After that they are looking at low placers at best. I just don't think they have the points.

Next year... Iowa's to lose. Cornell is going to compete. PSU is always a threat. But Cornell or PSU will need a lot of help to knock off the Hawkeyes. I see OSU as a distant 5th behind the aforementioned and Okie State.

P
I will respectfully disagree... to me the cabinet is starting to look empty. Karchclavava;labssv is awesome. Sasso is a title threat. Romero is solid 3-6. After that they are looking at low placers at best. I just don't think they have the points.

Next year... Iowa's to lose. Cornell is going to compete. PSU is always a threat. But Cornell or PSU will need a lot of help to knock off the Hawkeyes. I see OSU as a distant 5th behind the aforementioned and Okie State.
Paddy Gallagher will compete for AA, and Ethan Smith can be High AA as he showed.. now that’s still not enough fire power but I wouldn’t say the cupboards look bare with the top tier recruits that are coming in.