2020-2021 OHIO STATE BASKETBALL

I can't say I watched a lot of the Buckeyes this year but when I did I was consistently unimpressed and wondered what the fuss was about, so I was not overly surprised by the loss.

the last four minutes of games with the Buckeyes they have consistantly been out coached..... they continue to let Washington go one on one, and spread the floor.... the last play of regulation was typical of the WHOLE season, NO picks to to set Washington up..... dribble out the clock and settle for a fade away 3........ when all they needed was a two......

I see all the Chicken Littles have predictably come out after the loss yesterday. Obviously an embarrassing performance, and it has made Holtmann's seat a bit hotter, but there is zero chance he is gone. Hopefully, this ensure Washington and Liddell's return and they make a heck of a run next year, ala Virginia.

Of course the naysayers come out of the woodwork. Predictable as about 20% of Buckeye "fans" are not realistic.

Clearly the Buckeyes came out mentally unprepared; they looked like they expected to just win based on reputation. Holtmann accepted blame for that in the postgame presser. But the Bucks did play hard the 2nd half. As for the nitwits that want Holtmann fired, here are a couple of facts:

1) They do not hand out 2nd seeds to bad teams. They had a great year, and with the returning guys and a great recruiting class, the trajectory is up.
2) Holtmann was not 9-18 (50%) from the foul line, his team was. Been a strength all year (76%), had a bad day.
3) Holtmann was not 5-23 (21%) on 3-pointers, his team was. 36% all year, had a bad day.
4) Holtmann did not make the careless turnovers, his team did. 16 of them, averaged 10 per game all year.

A terrible game, and it hurts. Holtmann of course took the ownership in the post game, as you would expect from a quality man like him. Sure the preparation could have been different, but at the end of the day, a bunch of 20 year-olds who have been so mentally tough all year did not have the right frame of mind for the game. And it cost them.

My primary beef with Holtmann's plan was that he puts the ball in Duane's hands too much at clutch time. Duane is an electric scorer but yesterday he shot terribly. That ball had to be in CJ's hands and dumped in to EJ at the end of regulation. Should he be fired? only if you are an overly emotional child with ridiculous expectations. He is a solid coach, a quality man, and he recruits great kids. And he has the program moving up. Hope he is our coach for a long time.

I see all the Chicken Littles have predictably come out after the loss yesterday. Obviously an embarrassing performance, and it has made Holtmann's seat a bit hotter, but there is zero chance he is gone. Hopefully, this ensure Washington and Liddell's return and they make a heck of a run next year, ala Virginia.
if they “make a run” they will trip and fall on their face yet again

Brian you can question the coach if you have legit basketball comments about substitutions or in-game strategy. That sort of discussion is exactly what this forum is for.

What you do is just post "Holman can;t coach" and "OSU is embarrassing". Those are dumb comments which add nothing to the conversation and are obviously 100% wrong. I will call those out every time.
Like I said Chris holtman can't coach.Team was totally unprepared.i saw this coming.

Of course the naysayers come out of the woodwork. Predictable as about 20% of Buckeye "fans" are not realistic.

Clearly the Buckeyes came out mentally unprepared; they looked like they expected to just win based on reputation. Holtmann accepted blame for that in the postgame presser. But the Bucks did play hard the 2nd half. As for the nitwits that want Holtmann fired, here are a couple of facts:

1) They do not hand out 2nd seeds to bad teams. They had a great year, and with the returning guys and a great recruiting class, the trajectory is up.
2) Holtmann was not 9-18 (50%) from the foul line, his team was. Been a strength all year (76%), had a bad day.
3) Holtmann was not 5-23 (21%) on 3-pointers, his team was. 36% all year, had a bad day.
4) Holtmann did not make the careless turnovers, his team did. 16 of them, averaged 10 per game all year.

A terrible game, and it hurts. Holtmann of course took the ownership in the post game, as you would expect from a quality man like him. Sure the preparation could have been different, but at the end of the day, a bunch of 20 year-olds who have been so mentally tough all year did not have the right frame of mind for the game. And it cost them.

My primary beef with Holtmann's plan was that he puts the ball in Duane's hands too much at clutch time. Duane is an electric scorer but yesterday he shot terribly. That ball had to be in CJ's hands and dumped in to EJ at the end of regulation. Should he be fired? only if you are an overly emotional child with ridiculous expectations. He is a solid coach, a quality man, and he recruits great kids. And he has the program moving up. Hope he is our coach for a long time.
By all reports Eldon Miller was a nice man to, Bobby Knight not so much but I rather have the latter as a coach over the former. No Holtmann was not playing but recruit high end players that can do the things you pointed out they did not do against ORU. Great recruiting class, is their a center in that recruiting class or how about a top notch pt. guard ? No and no and Holtmann better hope Liddell and DW come back or the Bucks will be at the bottom of the totem pole in the BIG next year.

20% of any fan base are morons

Hopefully this is a quality learning experience for Holtmann.

One of the best coaches in college basketball, Tony Bennett, only got past the second round twice in his first eight years at UVA. In year nine they lost to a 16 seed before winning a championship the following year.

they need a BIG dude underneath...... and I hope coach takes a serious look at the last 8 minutes of how he coached in their last 6 losses....chicken littles?really you think everything is good?

where are do you think those two guys are going, they are pretty good college players right now..... they aren't NBA players , right now

everything you have said is true, he really has to look how he has coached at the end of some KEY games this year, also, do you know if he has a BIG dude coming in for next year?

By all reports Eldon Miller was a nice man to, Bobby Knight not so much but I rather have the latter as a coach over the former. No Holtmann was not playing but recruit high end players that can do the things you pointed out they did not do against ORU. Great recruiting class, is their a center in that recruiting class or how about a top notch pt. guard ? No and no and Holtmann better hope Liddell and DW come back or the Bucks will be at the bottom of the totem pole in the BIG next year.
I know they have the Etzer Kid from Crestview coming in next year, he is about 6-7 175 lb's , not a banger, sorta another version of Arhns...... who is the other kid they have coming in?

I know they have the Etzer Kid from Crestview coming in next year, he is about 6-7 175 lb's , not a banger, sorta another version of Arhns...... who is the other kid they have coming in?

The Branham kid from Akron SVSM...he's probably the highest rated recruit Ohio State has gotten in 7-8 years. He's probably 6-5 180.

The Johnson kid that enrolled early and played sparingly this year was the third guy in their recruiting class. Not sure if he starts, but I'd imagine he will play substantially next year and will be the PG whenever he's on the floor.

Center will continue to be an issue defensively and I think they'll have a spot for one more recruit, whether it's a freshman or a grad transfer player. With the extra eligibility year I imagine we will see Kyle Young back for another year.

The Branham kid from Akron SVSM...he's probably the highest rated recruit Ohio State has gotten in 7-8 years. He's probably 6-5 180.

The Johnson kid that enrolled early and played sparingly this year was the third guy in their recruiting class. Not sure if he starts, but I'd imagine he will play substantially next year and will be the PG whenever he's on the floor.

Center will continue to be an issue defensively and I think they'll have a spot for one more recruit, whether it's a freshman or a grad transfer player. With the extra eligibility year I imagine we will see Kyle Young back for another year.
here is is hoping 6"10 grad transfer........that weighs over 200Lb

thought the Johnson kid should have been on the floor to match the quickness of the Oral Roberst guards for defensive purposes...

where are do you think those two guys are going, they are pretty good college players right now..... they aren't NBA players , right now
If OSU had made a run, those 2 would have to have played well, increasing their draft stock. Washington was on a tear until Friday.

As far as grad transfers, I think OSU offered Harrar from Penn State.

here is is hoping 6"10 grad transfer........that weighs over 200Lb

A major wildcard is that there is a guy that fits that bill on the roster already that's played very sparingly through his first two years. He's like 6'10 or '6'11 with a 7'7 wingspan.

Definitely a long-term project. Sometimes those work out, sometimes they don't. It would definitely make a huge difference if he were to be a viable player even if just playing 10-15 minutes a game off the bench next year.

If OSU had made a run, those 2 would have to have played well, increasing their draft stock. Washington was on a tear until Friday.

As far as grad transfers, I think OSU offered Harrar from Penn State.
i don't blame Wasshington, that is how he has played the whole year..i blame the coaching, letting him sit out at the top of the key, dribbling, while everybody else WATCHES.....and then he fires up shots that don't make sense... this happened in their 4 game losing streak too...

A major wildcard is that there is a guy that fits that bill on the roster already that's played very sparingly through his first two years. He's like 6'10 or '6'11 with a 7'7 wingspan.

Definitely a long-term project. Sometimes those work out, sometimes they don't. It would definitely make a huge difference if he were to be a viable player even if just playing 10-15 minutes a game off the bench next year.
there a several teams in the Big ten , that seem to always have the BIG dudes , that get the job done, the Iowa's , Purdue, Whisky.. etc and are developed.... the Bucks struggle with that...

If fairness, none of these elite big men that OSU can’t land have pushed any other Big Ten teams to the Natty in over 20 years. Not saying an inside presence isn’t sorely needed. But to insist this is the primary reason that the Buckeyes collapsed in multiple late-game situations this season, or against ORU is disingenuous.

there a several teams in the Big ten , that seem to always have the BIG dudes , that get the job done, the Iowa's , Purdue, Whisky.. etc and are developed.... the Bucks struggle with that...

Most of those schools have been very good at developing guys that weren't stud prospects and that didn't contribute much their first year or two. The Dickinson kid for Michigan is a major exception to the rule being a stud from day 1.

Hopefully Diallo continues to improve and make some strides as with his length he could be a serious force defensively and allow Ohio State to stop over helping and doubling in the post.

For anyone like SnS that has a serious hard-on for a graduate transfer PG, I imagine that one of the best that will be available this year is Youngstown State's Darius Quisenberry, who will have two years of remaining eligibility. He averaged 15 pts and 4 asts the last three years and was 2x all-Horizon League.

I think there's a very good chance he's on a Big Ten roster next year, and he could be a solid rotation player on a good team.