CBC 2021. (Central Buckeye Conference)

Thats a big loss for Graham. I saw a few of their games over the last 3 years, and he had them playing better than I remember for the better part of a decade. And coming from Burg, he saw good coaching and came from a winning culture.
THey need to get the right guy in there. Other than NU, the CBC MR division is ripe for the taking if any school could step up and claim it. THe right guy could have them competing for titles with NU every year.
i’m not sure what the upcoming talent looks like for Graham but they lost a very strong senior class. they need to convince more of the wrestlers to play in that schools, there’s potential

i’m not sure what the upcoming talent looks like for Graham but they lost a very strong senior class. they need to convince more of the wrestlers to play in that schools, there’s potential
I'm not sure what the current coaches policy is but I heard through the grapevine that Jordan required such a large commitment from his wrestlers that they didn't have time for anything else. He got results though.

I don't think that Coach McIntosh/Jordan requires his wrestlers to avoid football. But if you choose to play, you have to understand that it takes away from wrestling prep. That will get you replaced on the wrestling team - theres just too much talent in the wrestling room. More than a few wrestlers come to Graham to only wrestle. With scholarships on the line, many families will not risk allowing their kids to play football, especially for a team that cannot consistently win football games.

Graham had the right mix of talent in the senior class. With those guys moving on, they are back to square one.

I cannot remember when, early 2000's but it seems to me that Lyons, Dennis and Marshall at Graham were some good football players that wrestled. Maybe the Graham fans can add correct me or add insight.
I've always been an advocate of wrestling over bball for football players...

I cannot remember when, early 2000's but it seems to me that Lyons, Dennis and Marshall at Graham were some good football players that wrestled. Maybe the Graham fans can add correct me or add insight.
i see advantages to both sports.

Marion Local only plays basketball in the winter (no wrestling) and both the football and basketball programs are successful year on year out. they have had many players cross over. there aren’t a ton of programs i know of that have good football as well as good wrestling programs that have athletes cross over. but many that have great football and great basketball programs with crossover athletes.

Jason Marshall played. Was an all district Defensive Lineman. I don't remember Joe Dennis playing. The big Braun kid played a couple years ago and was pretty decent.

Most elite wrestlers (especially at Graham) don't like to give up that training time. Certainly more common with the big guys.

Anyone have any info on who Graham is looking at? I haven't seen the job posted yet so thought maybe they had an idea of who was taking over?

I love watching bball but when push comes to shove I want that kid that fights versus flops. I haven't paid too much attention to wrestling lately (i prefer watching in person versus on line) but there was a time that the CBC had some high quality wrestlers that played football.

Kinightsfan, ever hear of Romero? lol Just pulling your chain.... Also, you may find in the Greenon CBC Championship years those teams had several District and State Qualifiers and a couple that went on to wrestle in college

I love watching bball but when push comes to shove I want that kid that fights versus flops. I haven't paid too much attention to wrestling lately (i prefer watching in person versus on line) but there was a time that the CBC had some high quality wrestlers that played football.

Kinightsfan, ever hear of Romero? lol Just pulling your chain.... Also, you may find in the Greenon CBC Championship years those teams had several District and State Qualifiers and a couple that went on to wrestle in college
Romero is of course great. i know Greenon has had some qualifiers- i think my point was more geared toward programs as a whole. Mechanicsburg is an exception. many schools aren’t as successful in both football and wrestling

Romero is of course great. i know Greenon has had some qualifiers- i think my point was more geared toward programs as a whole. Mechanicsburg is an exception. many schools aren’t as successful in both football and wrestling
I will agree in part but I feel when the CBC was as its best, the kids that wrestled and played football were more competitive in the conference and on the state stage versus basketball. I would guess that those teams were in the early/mid 2000s when Tipp, Greenon, Shawnee, Indian Lake, Ben Logan, Bellefontaine, Urbana, Northwestern, Tecumseh provided some epic battles on the field and the mat. My personal belief is a strong wrestling (and track) program equates to a stronger football program than what basketball contributes.

I will agree in part but I feel when the CBC was as its best, the kids that wrestled and played football were more competitive in the conference and on the state stage versus basketball. I would guess that those teams were in the early/mid 2000s when Tipp, Greenon, Shawnee, Indian Lake, Ben Logan, Bellefontaine, Urbana, Northwestern, Tecumseh provided some epic battles on the field and the mat. My personal belief is a strong wrestling (and track) program equates to a stronger football program than what basketball contributes.
i think that strong athletic programs altogether correlate to eachother. it’s a culture thing. that’s why at a lot of schools (Jonathan Alder, West Liberty Salem, Greenon as of late, and a few others) have a lot of successful teams across the board. and sometimes it depends on the classes coming up (athletes as well as parents). some schools have great runs across the board when they have good classes coming through.

but at some schools (like Burg) the football and wrestling programs are linked together very closely and share athletes, and as we know, Burg wrestling and track are both first class

Looking around at the OHC and the CBC I don't think there are too many football kids that could legitimately compete in either basketball and wrestling. Athletically, the overwhelming majority of kids usually seem to have either a basketball body or a wrestling body, and they usually seem to find where they belong.

To the point above, probably 90+% of D1 football scholarship players compete and usually excel in multiple sports, whether it's basketball or wrestling in the winter and track in the spring. If you're football only, the odds are very high that you're not a scholarship player.

Looking around at the OHC and the CBC I don't think there are too many football kids that could legitimately compete in either basketball and wrestling. Athletically, the overwhelming majority of kids usually seem to have either a basketball body or a wrestling body, and they usually seem to find where they belong.

To the point above, probably 90+% of D1 football scholarship players compete and usually excel in multiple sports, whether it's basketball or wrestling in the winter and track in the spring. If you're football only, the odds are very high that you're not a scholarship player.
what ever happened to Jeb Pencil?... I watched him beating, by fall, Coby Boyd, Graham (2007 State Champ), at the CBC wrestling tourney in 07. He was a stud football player too. When I think of toughness and never quit, its those Pencil kids that come to mind.

what ever happened to Jeb Pencil?... I watched him beating, by fall, Coby Boyd, Graham (2007 State Champ), at the CBC wrestling tourney in 07. He was a stud football player too. When I think of toughness and never quit, its those Pencil kids that come to mind.

I'm pretty sure he's a bison farmer now. I think he played football for a year or two at Wittenberg and saw a little bit of varsity action.

Whats the deal with Graham, any inside info on who they are looking at? I heard a Graham native, Austin Morgan might be up for the job. Any truth to this rumor?

I'm not sure what the current coaches policy is but I heard through the grapevine that Jordan required such a large commitment from his wrestlers that they didn't have time for anything else. He got results though.
There is no rule about wrestlers not allowed to play football Trace Braun who just placed 4th in the State in wrestling and Nolan Neves who placed 3rd at heavyweight both played this past season

Austin Morgan? Did he play at Graham? College Ball? I've never heard of him.
2011 grad potentially? Has been on staff with Geron Stokes at Minster (former) the past seasons. I do not know what role he played while there. Young coach with great enthusiasm. Could be a great fit....the falcons need a long term solution at HC to have any sustained success within the football program vs the competition with wrestling. Any idea on when interviews begin?

Brett Glass @ Alder officially resigned last evening to become the HC @ Dublin Jerome.

I don't get the feeling that anyone on the staff will apply, I could be wrong but that's my gut feeling. I think that's a big deal, since they have promoted within since Jenne left in the 90's. The last 4 coach's, Baird, Blackstone, Coate & Glass were all on the staff when they were promoted to HC. Outside of Baird, who was HC for 2 years, this has been a formula that has worked for the last couple of decades. Each one had there own unique style but they did keep most of the traditions and formula for success in place.

I do think this opening will garner quite a bit of interest. Hoping they can get someone in place before the workouts start in June.

Interesting move for Glass. Any reason he left JA for Jerome? Seems like he had things rolling at JA, and was set up for success in the league and beyond quite nicely.

Shouldn't be hard to get a lot of good coaches and looks for a place like JA. Nice facilities, great success and talent. Everything you need to walk in and be successful early. ONly thing that sucks is that it is late in the hiring process.

There will be a ton of external interest in that job, especially from smaller school coaches that would like to get closer to Columbus and OCC assistants trying to get a first head coaching job. I would imagine that Alder will have at least a handful of very good choices.

Interesting move for Glass. Any reason he left JA for Jerome? Seems like he had things rolling at JA, and was set up for success in the league and beyond quite nicely.

Shouldn't be hard to get a lot of good coaches and looks for a place like JA. Nice facilities, great success and talent. Everything you need to walk in and be successful early. ONly thing that sucks is that it is late in the hiring process.
I think the obvious reason was the pay scale at Jerome is much higher than that of Alder. Good move for his future and his family. I'm sure it was a tough decision leaving his alma matter and his first HS coaching gig.

There will be a ton of external interest in that job, especially from smaller school coaches that would like to get closer to Columbus and OCC assistants trying to get a first head coaching job. I would imagine that Alder will have at least a handful of very good choices.
I agree, Madison plains for example had 49 applications. I would assume this will garner bigger interest in comparison

i would bet that the Alder job draws some real stud coaches. this is a very attractive job.

names to watch:
Nick Hajjar- North Union Head Coach
Shane Carter- Northwestern Head Coach (if he’s interested in moving towards Columbus)

are any OCC coaches alumni of Alder? they would make obvious candidates