Ft. Loramie Rolls To D IV State Title Game

Props to Fort Loramie, that team is unbelievable. McDonald had dominated its way to the finals (the shadyside game was an 8 point game but really not that close the score got narrowed after it was decided) and FL handled business with ease today. Would be interesting to see FL against the other Champions crowned this weekend, I’m certain they’d more than hold their own.

The broadcast for the game yesterday touched on the game and said that FL had some covid and injury issues that game

I think Ft. Loramie lost to Lima Bath. Not sure what happened, as Bath is a good team, but FL must have had an off night.

I was at that game. Fort Loramie appeared to me to be caught off-guard by Bath's pressure at the beginning and just never recovered. Fort Loramie just looked flummoxed the whole game. Bath also beat D3 state runner-up Ottawa-Glandorf. Bath didn't go as far as hoped in the tournament but they did lose who some consider to be their best player to a season-ending injury mid-January.

I love watching FL play.

I really love the fact that they have a program - meaning that kids come and go, but there is an intentional process going on that delivers skilled players that execute at a high level. They play to a standard, not an opponent. Talent varies, but having a program like theirs is why they are consistently excellent.

I hear all the time from people, "We aren't any good right now, but our 7th grade team was undefeated." And when they get to varsity, even if they are very talented, they don't win big because the standards and expectations haven't been established to allow for a lot of success.

What we need more than anything in girls basketball is more coaches who build programs instead of waiting for a bunch of talent to magically appear.

Some people see FL's consistent success and conclude that they must be cheating. For sure, they are recruiting and breaking other rules. Nope. Maybe they are simply doing the right things, in the right way, for the right reasons.

I love watching FL play.

I really love the fact that they have a program - meaning that kids come and go, but there is an intentional process going on that delivers skilled players that execute at a high level. They play to a standard, not an opponent. Talent varies, but having a program like theirs is why they are consistently excellent.

I hear all the time from people, "We aren't any good right now, but our 7th grade team was undefeated." And when they get to varsity, even if they are very talented, they don't win big because the standards and expectations haven't been established to allow for a lot of success.

What we need more than anything in girls basketball is more coaches who build programs instead of waiting for a bunch of talent to magically appear.

Some people see FL's consistent success and conclude that they must be cheating. For sure, they are recruiting and breaking other rules. Nope. Maybe they are simply doing the right things, in the right way, for the right reasons.

While I agree with everything you said about Fort Loramie, I dont believe it is just them in that area. Anna has been consistently good, Minster won the prior two State Championships, their 3rd and 4th. In addition, to Fort Loramie and Minster in Div 4, I would say, New Knoxville, Marion Local and Fort Recovery have been top 10 Div 4 teams in the state, if not the top 5, but they have to go through Fort Loramie or Minster to get to the Regionals or the final 4. Out of Putnam County, you could add Ottoville, Kalida and Columbus Grove. The level of HS girls basketball from those schools is just different than from other areas in the State.

An impressive run through the state tournament games.

I would have to concur with the post above, in D3 and D4 the level of play of the better teams in that west central to NW chunk of the state is just a lot better than everyone else in a typical year with the exceptions of Hiland and Africentric.

While I agree with everything you said about Fort Loramie, I dont believe it is just them in that area. Anna has been consistently good, Minster won the prior two State Championships, their 3rd and 4th. In addition, to Fort Loramie and Minster in Div 4, I would say, New Knoxville, Marion Local and Fort Recovery have been top 10 Div 4 teams in the state, if not the top 5, but they have to go through Fort Loramie or Minster to get to the Regionals or the final 4. Out of Putnam County, you could add Ottoville, Kalida and Columbus Grove. The level of HS girls basketball from those schools is just different than from other areas in the State.
Yes, I am fairly aware of all those other schools and what they are about. I remember seeing Anna play a ways back at Ohio Dominican in a summer event and being impressed with everything about them. Minster has impressed me in the same way.

My first Ottoville experience was back around 2006ish? They were playing Hiland in the finals and their best player was a 6 foot tall shot put champion with a visible gut. During warmups I remember thinking that Hiland would have her on her knees panting for air by half. That girl was an incredible athlete. She played the entire game, plus i think an OT, and never showed any sign of being tired. It was an amazing thing to see. If anyone knows her name, I'd appreciate having it restored to me.

FL is on a real roll of dominance right now, so I focused on them. But statewide, pretty much everyone who pays attention to girls basketball is aware of how good the MAC is, and, as irritating as it can be, how much MAC fans love them some MAC. :)

Yes, I am fairly aware of all those other schools and what they are about. I remember seeing Anna play a ways back at Ohio Dominican in a summer event and being impressed with everything about them. Minster has impressed me in the same way.

My first Ottoville experience was back around 2006ish? They were playing Hiland in the finals and their best player was a 6 foot tall shot put champion with a visible gut. During warmups I remember thinking that Hiland would have her on her knees panting for air by half. That girl was an incredible athlete. She played the entire game, plus i think an OT, and never showed any sign of being tired. It was an amazing thing to see. If anyone knows her name, I'd appreciate having it restored to me.

FL is on a real roll of dominance right now, so I focused on them. But statewide, pretty much everyone who pays attention to girls basketball is aware of how good the MAC is, and, as irritating as it can be, how much MAC fans love them some MAC. :)

I believe her last name was Wannemacher? Stacey might be her first name. But yes, she was so nimble for a post player!

I believe her last name was Wannemacher? Stacey might be her first name. But yes, she was so nimble for a post player!
That's the name! Thanks.

First name is Stacie or Stacey. I found both spellings in newspaper stories.

She deserves to have her name remembered.

Do you know if her coach is still there?Klenman - I think it was.

That's the name! Thanks.

First name is Stacie or Stacey. I found both spellings in newspaper stories.

She deserves to have her name remembered.

Do you know if her coach is still there?Klenman - I think it was.

I believe Dave Klemen retired 2 or 3 years ago. Not sure who took over the program.