• St. Vincent-St. Mary in a close one

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Shawnee by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shawnee in a close one

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters

Irish60

The game is on! Tip off is set for Saturday March 20th at 2:00. The Irish waltzed through a comparatively pedestrian region while Shawnee put on a show against Buchtel. Shawnee dominated the Griffins in a way few could have foreseen. They jumped out on the Griffs and really never gave them a chance to claw their way back into the game. While the Irish have not been challenged so far in the playoffs, their regular season and their experience will have them more than ready come Saturday. Both teams are led by POY candidates. George Mangas for Shawnee and OSU-bound Malaki Branham for the Irish. This should be a classic. Thoughts?

I do not see anything that close to compare on the Akron schedule. St I the only one I know was played by someone around here. Beat Rossford 15 or so but I don't think the game was that close. Shwnee would have most likely have beaten Rossford but you can see they had some difficulty with Findlay. Best clips I could find for Shawnee. Any competitive clips for St. Vincent-St. Mary?

These are the best I could come up from YouTube.

St Vincent St Mary Vs Nationally Ranked #4 Damatha - YouTube

Thanks

My evaluation as a professional fan is that ASVSM might be too tall to beat Shawnee. Just run between their legs. They have plays designed around that.

Comparing skills off vids not easy, not at my ability but clearly they're deep in ball-handling and work well together. Wouldn't really expect anything else from a Coach Joyce team I imagine. I also see that III helped guide Cleveland St into NCAAs. Who would have thought that after Ohio scored their 40th pt in a row back in Dec?

My advice to SVSM is to dedicate a permanent spy to Mangas to combat the leak-out baseball passes off defensive boards. High IQ player who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Make him beat you straight up,

Reading these play-off threads has been educational. Now I understand why the kid hasn't been recruited. He leaks. Who wants to be cleaning that up?

Any three SVSM players can rebound with Shawnee's best five so I'd put two on Mangas, one upstream and one downstream.

Ottawa Glandorf held Mangas to 16 in a 58-52 Shawnee win earlier this year. Full court pressure for 32 minutes. It probably helps that it's a league game and they play each other every year so they are pretty familiar with them.

My advice to SVSM is to dedicate a permanent spy to Mangas to combat the leak-out baseball passes off defensive boards. High IQ player who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Make him beat you straight up,

Shawnee has lost 1 game in the past 2 years. I am sure this has been attempted before, obviously with no success.

St. V's best bet is to put a shadow or two on Mangas as has been already mentioned and force the other four Shawnee players to beat 3 St. V's players.

Shawnee has been pressed by good teams multiple time this year with little success. They will attack the press vertically and take it to the basket. I'm sure SVSM will do the same. Say what you want about SVSM, but they are usually a well coached and disciplined team with great athletes. Buchtel was very undisciplined with no guidance from the bench. Mangas will get his, he always does. Like most games with 2 good teams, turnovers, rebounding and shooting percentage will decide the game. Yes, Mangas does leak out a lot by design. It's just part of Shawnee's always on the attack mode and vertical style of play. Should be a great game.

I'm pretty sure Akron has an Ohio St commit. ;) All this focus on Mangas, I guess because it doesn't seem he has gotten the same talk attention in the past that an Ohio St commit will get. Probably they both are over-shadowing quite a few other really good players. Seems so from those clips. Hope they all show well and land well next year.

I'm pretty sure Akron has an Ohio St commit. ;) All this focus on Mangas, I guess because it doesn't seem he has gotten the same talk attention in the past that an Ohio St commit will get. Probably they both are over-shadowing quite a few other really good players. Seems so from those clips. Hope they all show well and land well next year.
Branham has seemingly flown under the radar this year. Mainly that's because of all the attention (and deservedly so!) going to Chris Livingston. But Branham is a special player and IMO (with the possible exception of Javon Graves) the best player to don an Irish uniform since LeBron.

ooook. Most probably wouldn't consider an Ohio St commit as being under-the-radar. Probably seems more that way over your side of the state where Livingston is. I'd not heard of Livingston either until reading that Mr. Basketball thread. Branham going to be a great addition to OSU. What about your other players? They getting college offers or attention?

edit: your post came in while I was looking for something. Harris by any reasonable account of recruiting is the second or third best player before they even hit the wood. Shawnee doesn't have even one being recruited like that.

This will be the best game at state, semi finals or finals. Also, this is the real D2 state title game. Give me Shawnee in the upset!

Why would it be an upset? These two teams are evenly matched it seems and furthermore, according to the poll above Shawnee is picked to win.

why would anyone overlook Chaminade or DeSales, particularly DeSales? DeSales played a D1 semi finalist to 4 pts.
They both May have a chance, but if Watson for Desales doesn’t get 25-30 , they have little chance to win the title.

Shawnee has been pressed by good teams multiple time this year with little success. They will attack the press vertically and take it to the basket. I'm sure SVSM will do the same. Say what you want about SVSM, but they are usually a well coached and disciplined team with great athletes. Buchtel was very undisciplined with no guidance from the bench. Mangas will get his, he always does. Like most games with 2 good teams, turnovers, rebounding and shooting percentage will decide the game. Yes, Mangas does leak out a lot by design. It's just part of Shawnee's always on the attack mode and vertical style of play. Should be a great game.
I was disappointed with the comments in the paper from Buchtels coach both before rhey went to Regionals and following the Regional final, sounded completely unprepared.

I was disappointed with the comments in the paper from Buchtels coach both before rhey went to Regionals and following the Regional final, sounded completely unprepared.

Recruiting tactic #1: bash the competitor coach. Classy. ;) How about congrats to another Akron coach and team for a fine year? Without Buchtel coming west, you all might have just seen a little ol town team of locals - yokals instead of the buzz saw they are. Consider the good fortune and be grateful.

This is the Shawnee - ASVSM thread. Please try to stay on point. lol

Recruiting tactic #1: bash the competitor coach. Classy. ;) How about congrats to another Akron coach and team for a fine year? Without Buchtel coming west, you all might have just seen a little ol town team of locals - yokals instead of the buzz saw they are. Consider the good fortune and be grateful.

A couple of years ago it was Wauseon. A couple of years before that it was John Glenn. The Irish know these teams are for real. Sometimes STVM wins, sometimes they don't. But one thing is for sure, Shawnee, like those teams I mentioned, will not be overlooked or taken for granted. Coach Dru will have the Irish focused and ready.

Huh? I was rooting for Buchtel and was disappointed their coach was not prepared...according to his own words.

Please worry about rooting for whoever is playing from Toledo down in Dayton ?

A couple of years ago it was Wauseon. A couple of years before that it was John Glenn. The Irish know these teams are for real. Sometimes STVM wins, sometimes they don't. But one thing is for sure, Shawnee, like those teams I mentioned, will not be overlooked or taken for granted. Coach Dru will have the Irish focused and ready.
Exactly...hopefully Coach Dent will learn from this experience and be more prepared should this opportunity come around again.