Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Stokes runs a modern offensive scheme ( shotgun exclusive throw the ball liberally according to talent ) Davidson isn’t ready to fully change how they do things ., Don’t get me wrong. That system is the MAIN reason they won two titles . Teams rarely see it and their talent disadvantage deeper in the playoffs was negated by executing this clock churning system . BUT. I think may be at this point it may be time to amend it a bit ?
Stokes run his offense through the QB. Similar to Coldwater, similar to Urban Meyer with JT Barrett. Last season the QB ran the ball a lot, year before he had a 1000 yd. rushing running back. When he had Nixon at QB and Wolf at receiver threw the ball all over the place see Kirtland game. Good at emphasizing the talent he has around him.

Harry - I disagree that Hilliard Davidson offensive system was the "MAIN" reason they won their 2 State Titles in 2006 & 2009. The 06 team beat 2 teams (UA & your Dublin Coffman) twice in the same season, teams that they face on a yearly basis - that's never easy to do. Then HD won in OT by converting a 2 pt conversion, that takes guts to call and Rocky Mountain Oysters to pull off. Regardless of the type of offense; and yes a wing T, option, wishbone offense can help bridge a talent gap (Navy, Air Force), during the course of a game you have to execute and eliminate mistakes/turnovers/penalties. I only saw the 2006 OT Championship game on tv but I saw a team that was executing and eliminating mistakes/turnovers/penalties and simply wanted it. I believe that's the MAIN reason they won. Also, the HD rb (Bo Delaney, OSU walkon) may not have been a D1 player but he was a beast.
Not disagreeing with any of the will to win , mentally tough , physically tough , play for play giving as much max effort as anyone I have seen in the last 17 years in Ohio (. My timeline ). The want , the hunger , drive etc is baked in ., I know all of this and know exactly how hey won the individual title games ., My opinion is when White came to Davidson he didn’t run that exact system and it took about 5 years to get it down . I mean really entrenched . So by the mid 2000’s they were rolling . Big numbers (. No. School split yet ) really good O lines that had the system down . Playing that once a year is better than never seeing it but you play 5-6 games in a row against spreads and one back sets . Similar schemes and then boom you shift to that and have to be Uber disciplined for 48 .

This system helped keep the defense fresh . White said it 112355 times , the system was as big a help to the defense as anything else . So once they had that system 100 percent in place it was possible to win 5 games in a playoff run ., It negated the talent disparity in some games . Of course as I have said 1000 times over the years it starts with the effort coaching toughness and will to win . That’s a given with that program under White . They don’t win two titles running something else in my opinion . I agree with your platitudes . I know you hold that program in the highest regard possible and love it .

tough to believe, when was the davidson job opened? and how do you know Stokes?
Davidson job was open after 2019 . Back story was the Upper Arlington job was open after 2018 and a long term Davidson assistant got the job at a league and a across the river rival .UA beat HOF coach White that year which added a lot of fuel to White's fire of being really upset that this former assistant took the HC job at a long time league rival . This was more infuriating because White was close to leaving Davidson and he did indeed do just that . He called it quits after the 2019 season . Now some here are saying that Geron Stokes desperately wanted the privilege of interviewing at Hilliard Davidson when it became open . Well the Davidson hierarchy wanted to keep things exactly the same and exactly the same means running the ball 97 percent of the time using a triple option approach . So ex long term Davidson assistant goes to UA and tris to turn them into a run first and second team and only pass if you have to , BUT we will sometimes use shotgun and give the appearance of not being Davidson .

So the former Davidson assistant throws his hat into the HD HC position competition . HMMM , Davidson wanting to continue on in White's vane and was only really interested in guys who know or are willing to employ a VERY similar White like offensive like scheme that was largely responsible for a ton of success including two state titles. { Why change even if the results lately haven't been the same } White is really pi$$edat the program and from some accounts is ignoring it and has nothing to do with it to the point he hasn't been to a game ? He thinks Scally was disloyal and should have never been considered , and Davidson 'may be "out of loyalty to him thought ONLY considering candidates that wouldn't throw the ball UNLESS 1000 percent necessary was showing loyalty to the glory days and HOF coach White's legacy? Didn't quite work out that way as Davidson had their worst team in 20 years , the new coach is at a crossroads and their HOF coach wants nothing to do with the program .

So the LOOOOONG story as to why Stokes wasn't even considered last year ? Was made clear up above . Stokes likes a multiple pronged attack and throwing the ball liberally IF the conditions warrant it { A QB with a good arm who is accurate and can make plays and a few kids who can go get the ball and make things happen after they catch it} Davidson hasn't been interested in this modus operandi for a long time and seems to be OK for a while longer .

Being a huge boxing fan from a young age , Marvin Hagler was one of my favorites when I was a kid . Sadly he passed away at 66 in his New Hampshire home . Considered one of the top 5 middleweights of all time the 'Marvelous " one could take a punch and had as good a chin as anyone in history . He was only knocked " Down" once in his career and that was disputed . He fought a plethora of top fighters in his day and was one of the toughest best conditioned most talented fighters of any era . " The Ring " named him as the 4th best Middleweight of all time . Seeing this news was one of the handful of times when the emotion of hearing or seeing the news gave me chills . Strong emotions can do that .

RIP Marvelous .

Being a huge boxing fan from a young age , Marvin Hagler was one of my favorites when I was a kid . Sadly he passed away at 66 in his New Hampshire home . Considered one of the top 5 middleweights of all time the 'Marvelous " one could take a punch and had as good a chin as anyone in history . He was only knocked " Down" once in his career and that was disputed . He fought a plethora of top fighters in his day and was one of the toughest best conditioned most talented fighters of any era . " The Ring " named him as the 4th best Middleweight of all time . Seeing this news was one of the handful of times when the emotion of hearing or seeing the news gave me chills . Strong emotions can do that .

RIP Marvelous .

now .... THAT was a round of boxing.....

now .... THAT was a round of boxing.....
Greatest first round fought in a fight between two HOF guys in a title bout in the history of boxing. Some say the greatest round of boxing ever .I mean these guys were FRESH. It was round ONE and they were throwing absolute bombs . We've all seen some great action in later rounds when both guys were just going for it ,but were both tired . Hearns hit many guys with these kind of powers shots over his career . 'Most " didn't take them well.{ many were put to sleep} Hagler's world class chin , not only enabled him to take them and absorb them he was still coming forward throwing big shots of his own.

Fight was only three rounds { didn't last the full three} but may boxing historians say it was the greatest three rounds in boxing history. That pace was never sustainable and when Hagler got a deep cut and saw his own blood he knew he had to end this thing. Funny exchange happened when veteran HOF referee Richard Steele stopped the fight early in the third round to take a look at Hagler's cut a bit more closely. He asked Marvin 'If he could see Ok" Marvelous looked at him and quipped , 'I ain't Missing him am I ?

Steele let the fight continue and Hagler quickly hit him with a big right hook that sent Hearns into the ropes and a bit unsteady, Hagler kind of skipped after him almost running and nailed him with a fight finishing right cross right on the button , sending the Hitman to the canvas. Hearns to his credit got up , but was deemed unable to continue and Hagler survived .

10 of Hagler's 11 title defenses ended in a knockout. He had one of the highest percentage of wins by knockout in Middleweight history . Hagler was born in Newark NJ , But as a younger kid moved to Brockton Massachusetts where some may know as the hometown of the great Rocky Marciano . Hagler's lead trainer Goody Petronelli was a close friend of Marciano since they were boys and continued until Marciano's untimely death in 1969 { plane crash in Iowa } Allie Columbo who was Rocky's trainer was also a good friend of the Petronelli's who opened their gym where Hagler would start boxing around that time . I think Marvin's family move to Brockton paid off.

Marvin never really got over losing that controversial split decision to Sugar Ray Leonard and it embittered him for years . Leonard basically won the fight by really utilizing a trick that Mohammed Ali employed{Both were trained by the great Angelo Dundee} which was flurrying throwing a ton of punches in the last 20- 30 seconds of rounds to influence the judges perceptions in close rounds. Recency bias of placing more importance on what you last saw . He won a few close rounds like this over the fight and Hagler trying to cross up Leonard fought the first couple rounds in an orthodox stance { He was a natural lefty} , many thought he 'Gave away " those rounds and it ultimately cost him the fight.

Last edited:
This is short , simple but powerful . It is a way to end the tribute to Marvin Hagler in these spaces . Anyone can get something from this two minute piece of succinct remembrance and admiration from Teddy Atlas one of my favorite guys in the boxing game, he has always given such great perspective on many subjects .

Not much usually going on this time of the year in HS football , but in a few community's new head coaches being named and getting started with the 2021 groups of players is in the news. Coffman for the first time in two decades is filling it's HC position in the football program. They named an outsider who is about the same age coach Crabtree was when he was tabbed back in 2001.

Geron Stokes has over a decade of HC experience which isn't the norm certainly for a man who is 36 years old. He laid down foundations at both places he coached including his 3 years at his Alma Mater Urbana . After figuring out to some extent how to be a head coach he took on a big challenge of coaching in the toughest small school conference in Ohio and arguably as good and competitive a " small " school football league as there is in the country . Tremendous communities. Top notch high achieving school districts. Great kids and families with strong work ethics. Great support for athletics. A lot of interest . Really high level coaching and well run programs.

One of the things that stood out to me from one of the many Stokes interviews I listened to in the last couple weeks was from the pre-season in his second year at Minster. He was talking about the process of getting 'intentionally" better and really working hard at it to be as competitive as possible in a rugged league .

He went to the MAC because he wanted to challenge himself in a very competitive league. He stated that it was going to take a lot of work to be as sound and on point and improve as much as possible in order to compete. He realized that if he wasn't going to be somewhat fanatical in his approach with his attention to detail and intentionally working to improve and be as sound as possible in everything they did? They would be 'EXPOSED" when playing in this conference. He 'Relished " the competition . WANTED to play the best and get better from the experience.

The above clip from Teddy Atlas made me think of one of the most immediate things that any coach and certainly coach Stokes will try to determine when he comes into the facility to address and get to know the kids. He will want to see who is most 'Reliable kids are. His most 'dependable " kids are. And like Hagler was , who are his most competitive kids , how many are willing to 'WILL THEMSLEVES " to get better,. to be the best they can be as players and people? Who are his leaders ? Hagler wanted to compete against the best . He was willing to do the work and improve enough in order to put himself in the best position to do this.

How much does being a reliable and dependable team member who is willing to do the work and go at it HARD mean to the kids? Who can help lead the others and bring them along? No coach can do it all by himself , he needs LEADERS within the ranks . Who are those kids going to be ? Stokes will find out soon enough .

Winter season wrapping up as the Boys final four state tournament is all that's left . Quick shout out to former long term Dublin student Senior Kobe Buford who I had seen play sports since 8 year old DYA Soccer . Kobe is playing for Worthington Christian this weekend in the state tournament and is ending his career on a positive note . 4 years ago he won the Archie Griffin athletic award at Sells MS which is the top athletic award you can get in Dublin schools pre HS . He never got to Coffman as he moved to UA to play for the Bears . He was there two years and then transferred to Worthington Christian .Not always an easy road during his HS career but he is a main cog in the rotation at WC who is led by Star DJ Moore. Kobe has made some clutch plays and hit some big shots during the run . First time in a while WC has made this type of run and the last time was in D-4 . They are now D-3 . Good luck to Kobe and WC on Friday. Playing a really good Cincy Taft team . Tough duty. Missed seeing Kobe play for Coffman. He would have been an asset.

Coffman sports had a nice winter season overall and I have some thoughts on that in the next day or so. Next year looks promising as well as many of the successful athletes on the teams are coming back .

Who is running off-season workouts for football? Is Crager there? Do you think he stays on?
No. Would you? IMO, that would make for an awful dynamic. Go from being the #2 guy to probably not even DC anymore. Not sure there are too many assistant coaches that would stay in a situation like Coach Crager’s. Not saying that I think Crager would sabotage, he certainly wouldn’t, just an awful dynamic overall.

Who is running off-season workouts for football? Is Crager there? Do you think he stays on?
Crager has been running the strength and conditioning program the last couple years[including recently} After not getting the top job I am sure that's changed . Rumor has it Stokes DC is coming with him . Also as heard in these spaces , someone posted that Stokes was going to interview a few current assistants to stay on with the program? That's always ideal. Especially in football . I can't see Crager staying on . Definitely an awkward time in the athletic offices on Coffman Road.

I'm sure after tonight's meet the coach event everyone will know more about the staff and who will run the Spring Strength and Conditioning program.

For Coffman fans who want a good story and a little more background on Stokes see below. Personally really like him as a coach and followed him from afar up here in MAC country for awhile.

RIP Marvelous .

Ah, the Juan Domingo Roldan slip/push knockdown. Hagler vs Hearns was my favorite fight along with Pryor vs Arguello 1. Huge boxing fan myself. I remember the first fight I watched was Ali vs Norton 1 when Kenny upset him. I liked all weight classes. Back in the day I could tell you who all the WBC, WBA and IBF (which was a new sanctioning body) champions were in every weight class. Bought the magazines and watched all the fights I could. I drove an hour and a half to watch Hagler vs Hearns on the big closed circuit screen. Glad I did. Was a big Hearns fan back then along with Alexis Arguello. I was even in attendance at the Cobo Arena in Detroit when Hearns won the LH title from Andries in 1987. I liked Hagler as well. Hagler had an iron chin. Hearns nailed him with a huge right hand and uppercut the first 30 seconds of the fight which did make Hagler briefly hold on. Hagler was always wrong for Tommy. Matchups make fights. Example. Hearns blew out Duran but Hagler barely squeeked by Duran. What a great era that was with Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard. A book called Four Kings by George Kimball about those guys and that era is an excellent read. Boxing died out when they lost the casual fanbase by putting most of the fights on pay per view that they had shown for free on network TV in the 70's and 80's. Too many titles too, which causes confusion.

Last edited:
Not much usually going on this time of the year in HS football , but in a few community's new head coaches being named and getting started with the 2021 groups of players is in the news. Coffman for the first time in two decades is filling it's HC position in the football program. They named an outsider who is about the same age coach Crabtree was when he was tabbed back in 2001.

Geron Stokes has over a decade of HC experience which isn't the norm certainly for a man who is 36 years old. He laid down foundations at both places he coached including his 3 years at his Alma Mater Urbana . After figuring out to some extent how to be a head coach he took on a big challenge of coaching in the toughest small school conference in Ohio and arguably as good and competitive a " small " school football league as there is in the country . Tremendous communities. Top notch high achieving school districts. Great kids and families with strong work ethics. Great support for athletics. A lot of interest . Really high level coaching and well run programs.

One of the things that stood out to me from one of the many Stokes interviews I listened to in the last couple weeks was from the pre-season in his second year at Minster. He was talking about the process of getting 'intentionally" better and really working hard at it to be as competitive as possible in a rugged league .

He went to the MAC because he wanted to challenge himself in a very competitive league. He stated that it was going to take a lot of work to be as sound and on point and improve as much as possible in order to compete. He realized that if he wasn't going to be somewhat fanatical in his approach with his attention to detail and intentionally working to improve and be as sound as possible in everything they did? They would be 'EXPOSED" when playing in this conference. He 'Relished " the competition . WANTED to play the best and get better from the experience.

The above clip from Teddy Atlas made me think of one of the most immediate things that any coach and certainly coach Stokes will try to determine when he comes into the facility to address and get to know the kids. He will want to see who is most 'Reliable kids are. His most 'dependable " kids are. And like Hagler was , who are his most competitive kids , how many are willing to 'WILL THEMSLEVES " to get better,. to be the best they can be as players and people? Who are his leaders ? Hagler wanted to compete against the best . He was willing to do the work and improve enough in order to put himself in the best position to do this.

How much does being a reliable and dependable team member who is willing to do the work and go at it HARD mean to the kids? Who can help lead the others and bring them along? No coach can do it all by himself , he needs LEADERS within the ranks . Who are those kids going to be ? Stokes will find out soon enough .

Winter season wrapping up as the Boys final four state tournament is all that's left . Quick shout out to former long term Dublin student Senior Kobe Buford who I had seen play sports since 8 year old DYA Soccer . Kobe is playing for Worthington Christian this weekend in the state tournament and is ending his career on a positive note . 4 years ago he won the Archie Griffin athletic award at Sells MS which is the top athletic award you can get in Dublin schools pre HS . He never got to Coffman as he moved to UA to play for the Bears . He was there two years and then transferred to Worthington Christian .Not always an easy road during his HS career but he is a main cog in the rotation at WC who is led by Star DJ Moore. Kobe has made some clutch plays and hit some big shots during the run . First time in a while WC has made this type of run and the last time was in D-4 . They are now D-3 . Good luck to Kobe and WC on Friday. Playing a really good Cincy Taft team . Tough duty. Missed seeing Kobe play for Coffman. He would have been an asset.

Coffman sports had a nice winter season overall and I have some thoughts on that in the next day or so. Next year looks promising as well as many of the successful athletes on the teams are coming back .
you have nailed it , in explaining what Stokes was, when he came to Minster, and what he will expect of his players....... while some of the things he does, parents won't agree with... which is fine, that is how LIFE works, but he will make your son's better men.......

Ah, the Juan Domingo Roldan slip/push knockdown. Hagler vs Hearns was my favorite fight along with Pryor vs Arguello 1. Huge boxing fan myself. I remember the first fight I watched was Ali vs Norton 1 when Kenny upset him. I liked all weight classes. Back in the day I could tell you who all the WBC, WBA and IBF (which was a new sanctioning body) champions were in every weight class. Bought the magazines and watched all the fights I could. I drove an hour and a half to watch Hagler vs Hearns on the big closed circuit screen. Glad I did. Was a big Hearns fan back then along with Alexis Arguello. I was even in attendance at the Cobo Arena in Detroit when Hearns won the LH title from Andries in 1987. I liked Hagler as well. Hagler had an iron chin. Hearns nailed him with a huge right hand and uppercut the first 30 seconds of the fight which did make Hagler briefly hold on. Hagler was always wrong for Tommy. Matchups make fights. Example. Hearns blew out Duran but Hagler barely squeeked by Duran. What a great era that was with Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard. A book called Four Kings by George Kimball about those guys and that era is an excellent read. Boxing died out when they lost the casual fanbase by putting most of the fights on pay per view that they had shown for free on network TV in the 70's and 80's. Too many titles too, which causes confusion.

What an era in boxing . Boxing is the ultimate style makes fights sport. You see this dynamic in other sports of course which is why comparative scores as a way of judging teams or match-ups can be so faulty. I remember seeing Hears take apart Pipino Cueves in such a brutal display of power that is actually a bit frightening. Kimball does a great job with that book .There really could have been or should have been a fifth king .His name was Wilfred Benitez who had as much natural ability as anyone did pound for pound. I liken Benitez to a really talented child actor who kind fo goes off the rails earlier in life and in their careers .

He lost a good 15 round fight to Leonard as a young guy { younger than Leonard but more of a veteran} in a fight it was reported he barely trained for . Benitez turned pro at 15 and won a title at 17 beating a good champion Antonio Cervantes a grown man in his early 30's . What were many of us doing at 17 ? Working out and lifting for football , playing summer baseball goofing off with our friends , going to the beach and sneaking into the movies? As good or better a defensive fighter than Mayweather . Kind of toyed with Duran winning a unanimous decision in 82 , a couple years after his loss to Leonard. Lost to Hearns in a good fight with both guys putting the other down, but Hearns won a 2-0-1 decision, winning by a few points and a lot of points { Boxing judges often see things differently LOL} on two and the third judge had it a draw.

this was kind of the end for Benitez who never really recovered , stopped training hard at all and had some personal issues and kind of faded away and went into a decline . Turning pro at 15 wasn't a good move , even winning a title at 17 and a half years old . He had a father who was his trainer and two older brothers who fought and were good but not in the youngest one's class and he was moved along too quickly . I would have loved to see what may have been if he had kind of been moved along at a more natural pace.

So many great fights between real warriors adn as Tiger Alum says many of these fights were on Saturday afternoons on network TV . Seems incredible now. A few come to mind . A good friend of mine and long time teammate in baseball and backfield mate in football's Dad was a professional boxer . He got the level of being an opponent for guys moving up a bit , so above a tomato can for sure but he lost those fights that would have elevated him. Did well boxing in the Golden Gloves . He had a large amount of boxing memorabilia and then hundreds of tapes that i had some access to . My friend boxed until he was 12 and was very good doing well in the Silver Mittens { 10-16 age groups I saw him fight a few times and he won each fight } but the other sports took precedent as the time commitment grew. . He taught me and a few other friends to box at the local Rec center that had a boxing ring. We sparred with each other , hit the bag and had a lot of fun .I got a pair of those big sparring gloves when I was 9 . The old man passed a while back and cancer got my Friend a few years ago { He eventually played football at Harvard } .

Speaking of this family , when we were kids the old man took us to watch a closed circuit viewing of the 'brawl in Montreal at a local movie theater . Leonard and Duran 1 . This was just before these mega fights were shown on pay per view cable stations . I can still remember the smell and the atmosphere. Leonard lost a close decision and took a beating on the arms and to the body especially as he chose to prove his manhood and stand toe to toe with the " Hands of Stone " Panamanian legend for the duration. Leonard would avenge the loss with a masterful boxing exhibition 5 months later in New Orleans in the famous " No Mas " fight with Duran basically quitting at the end of the 8th round .Duran had gotten out of the shape adn had to drop about 20 pounds late in the game and then after making weight it was said he ate like a starved Pig after the weigh in . Said it was the reason he couldn't fight anymore . Well the reality was he had no answers at that point of the fight , wasn't getting killed but wasn't going to win and he knew it . Frustration and Leonard mocking him after being mocked and disrespected by Duran in Montreal was too much for the proud Duran who threw in the towel.

As TA alluded to , that Pryor Arguello first fight was a classic. A bit infamous ? That Panama Lewis bottle 'The one that I mixed" ?Arguello hit him him with a few bombs that would have taken out most mortal men . Pryor shook them off and had more energy in the last few rounds and stopped Arguello late . So many epic battles during the 80's . Could go on all day. Thanks TA for jogging some good memories of a really special era.