Ignatius Basketball

Flannery is a terrific coach but please remember that he was hired mid season when the incumbent was let go due to a past transgression. Cam Jordan went through a process to get hired; Flannery was “next man up!”

Coach Flannery was my freshman coach and all I can remember was everyone raving about what a great basketball mind he had and how he was going to be a good one. It’s all we heard before and after practices from upper class men to coaches.

Flannery is a terrific coach but please remember that he was hired mid season when the incumbent was let go due to a past transgression. Cam Jordan went through a process to get hired; Flannery was “next man up!”
Not exactly true. Flannery was not head coach in 1996 playoffs. There was an interim head coach, but it was not Flannery. He remained an assistant on that Final Four run. In off-season, they interviewed mutliple candidates (famously including Tom Lombardo) before hiring FLannery for the 96-97 season.

Not exactly true. Flannery was not head coach in 1996 playoffs. There was an interim head coach, but it was not Flannery. He remained an assistant on that Final Four run. In off-season, they interviewed mutliple candidates (famously including Tom Lombardo) before hiring FLannery for the 96-97 season.

May have been Novak?

Typical Ignatius-Ed's game. 55-54 Cats. Wasn't Ed's rated #1 in the State a month or so ago? Only solution for the Eagles: FIRE FLANNERY! FIRE FLANNERY! FIRE FLANNERY!

AZ good to see you coming back around. Haven’t seen any updates on the hockey threads all year?

Yes, they were number one for 5 minutes when Moeller lost two out of state games and Mentor was out for COVID reasons.

AZ good to see you coming back around. Haven’t seen any updates on the hockey threads all year?

Yes, they were number one for 5 minutes when Moeller lost two out of state games and Mentor was out for COVID reasons.
You got me and the sports confused. I do the soccer reports, and since I now live in AZ. I have nothing to do with ice.

Any news on the Lima team? their record? heights of the starting five? what kind of offense/defense they play?

There is some footage on YouTube. Very aggressive and athletic defense with a lot of pressure in the backcourt. Didn’t seem to have too much height, but very athletic. Reminded me of Lutheran East. Ignatius better have a better press break installed than what they showed against Ed’s.

Lima Senior - #11, D1 in Ohio (20-4)

Notable wins:
Thomas Worthington (#9, D1 in Ohio, lost in District semifinal) by 16
Toledo St. John Jesuit (D1 regional semifinalist) by 6

Losses:
Shelby (D2 regional semifinalist) by 4
Toledo St. John Jesuit (D1 regional semifinalist) by 22
Lima Shawnee (#2, D2 in Ohio, regional finalist) by 6
St. Edward (#10, D1 in Ohio, regional semifinalist) by 14

The video of Lima’s game @ St. Edward on Jan. 29 can be viewed at https://www.stedwardeagles.com/live-broadcast
Starting line-up in that game went 5-6, 5-9, 6-2, 6-3, 6-7
Quick team, full court man-to-man pressure against the Eagles. Spartans like to jump the passing lanes

Cats have to cut down on turnovers – 16 vs. Lorain and 20 vs. St. Edward is not a recipe for success.

Good luck to St. Ignatius. Good luck to Coach Joyce and to all the Wildcat players. Lima Senior is a solid team and this should be an excellent game. Go Wildcats.

Last edited:
I guess height really does matter in basketball. Cats' rebounding edge must be huge. Cats' playing great defense and Lima playing poor offense amounts to a big halftime lead.