2021 State Finale Marks

EuclidandViren

Share the good news.

The best race that I saw was the boys D1 3200. The battle of the Nathans that went sub 9:00 was unbelievable.

The D1 sprint races being dominated by Canal Winchester and Granville were also interesting overall to see. The energy these two squads brought was awesome to watch.

Overall the best triple that I have seen by a D1 boy was completed by Owen Karas. This probably won't be talked about much--but his marks are ridiculous:
1600- 4:15.35 for the win.
800- 1:56.13 for 4th place
3200- 9:22.06 for 5th place.

I didn't see any of the meet but looked at the results.

The boys 400 looked like a battle. Korbin Martino (committed to Penn St) of Canal Winchester took the win with a 47.43 over Pick North's Steven McEleroy who went 47.77. Martino's time leads the nation (oversized track). I was hoping that TWHS's Justin Braun would have also competed. Braun has gone 47.82 this year. Braun has also gone 1:02.67 for 500 meters this year. The 500 is rarely contested but it is the leading time in the country this year - high school or otherwise. The D1 outdoor 400 final should be outstanding this year.

McEleroy's overall performance should also be noted. He went 6.87 in the 60 for 2nd, 21.67 in the 200 for the win, and 47.77 for 2nd in the 400. He is committed to Cincinnati.

The Lakota West boys beat a good field in the 4x8 with a 7:50.06. That's the fastest time in the country this year.

The full meet results are here.

Martino's move on the backstretch was brilliant; the burst to split the two leaders and take control of the race. The 3200M duel was awesome to watch, showing again that the last guy to move often wins. Not usually a fan of "tactical" races, but the 2:15-1:59ish 1600M was pretty cool to watch... the Karas triple was simply incredible. Kudos also to Sean Carney on his 16/32 double... and much respect to the guys that ran so well on 4x8 - 1600M doubles.

I didn't see any of the meet but looked at the results.

The boys 400 looked like a battle. Korbin Martino (committed to Penn St) of Canal Winchester took the win with a 47.43 over Pick North's Steven McEleroy who went 47.77. Martino's time leads the nation (oversized track). I was hoping that TWHS's Justin Braun would have also competed. Braun has gone 47.82 this year. Braun has also gone 1:02.67 for 500 meters this year. The 500 is rarely contested but it is the leading time in the country this year - high school or otherwise. The D1 outdoor 400 final should be outstanding this year.

McEleroy's overall performance should also be noted. He went 6.87 in the 60 for 2nd, 21.67 in the 200 for the win, and 47.77 for 2nd in the 400. He is committed to Cincinnati.

The Lakota West boys beat a good field in the 4x8 with a 7:50.06. That's the fastest time in the country this year.

The full meet results are here.
D

Note: All distances over 60 meters go on an ASTERISK list given the oversized (>200m) track size of SPIRE. T&F News keeps track of legal vs. non-legal marks. I don't thing Dyestat, Milesplit, or Athletic.net do that much, if at all.

Didn't Martino run a sub 1:55 as a sophomore? I assume 800 is where he will end up at PSU. I am not suggesting he is better or has more potential in one over the other but having options during the outdoor season with Braun lurking is a good thing. He seems to have some 400 and down teammates to fall back on so maybe he is content with 400 and shorter.

Didn't Martino run a sub 1:55 as a sophomore?
I could be wrong but I thought that he was more around 1:56ish. Still, though, he has incredible range. He has high jumped over 6', LJ'd over 19', is around 11.3 for the 100, low 22s at 200, and 47.1ish for the 400. He should get into the mid 46s this outdoor season.

Braun is a junior and is not yet committed. He also has a really good range but is a bit faster than Martino at the shorter distances - primarily the 60 indoors and the 100 & 200. I think he has a better LJ as well. He's in the low 2:00 range in the 800 but I see him easily getting under 2:00 this season or next.

Martino and Braun are both going to be outstanding 400 guys at the collegiate level. I also wouldn't at all be surprised if both of them get under 1:50 at some point.

The races that stood out to me were the boys' 800m...holy smokes, 1:52 in March, and the girls' 60m hurdles with Lincoln's sophomore Camden Bentley (8.54) just missing Dalanda Jackson's Ohio record of 8.52 sec. Me thinks there's a lot of bodies out there ready to explode on the outdoor scene this year given what's gone on this past year.

The races that stood out to me were the boys' 800m...holy smokes, 1:52 in March. Me thinks there's a lot of bodies out there ready to explode on the outdoor scene this year given what's gone on this past year.

I noticed the 800 as well but it is really no surprise it was a young man from King's. King's is a school that seems to have very solid middle distance kids, boys and girls, nearly every year but does not get the attention that some other schools get. I guess when you sit near extra large schools like Mason, Centerville, and Beavercreek that is inevitable. Kings does a very nice job with their kids.

On the other end of the spectrum, what was with a few events in D2-D3? Some did not have winning marks that would win most dual meets. I assume that due to covid many of the smaller schools did pursue indoor as they have in the past.

I noticed the 800 as well but it is really no surprise it was a young man from King's. King's is a school that seems to have very solid middle distance kids, boys and girls, nearly every year but does not get the attention that some other schools get. I guess when you sit near extra large schools like Mason, Centerville, and Beavercreek that is inevitable. Kings does a very nice job with their kids.

On the other end of the spectrum, what was with a few events in D2-D3? Some did not have winning marks that would win most dual meets. I assume that due to covid many of the smaller schools did pursue indoor as they have in the past.
D1 boys Pole vault dropped off big after the top 2. High jump as well. There was not a lot of depth. We do not do anything with indoor unless a kid wants to. Then we sit at the state/finale and say, "It would be nice if we had more kids here." We had a kid accidentally register unattached and they would not let him change it, or he could have participated too. Our fault for having the kids do it themselves, but they have parents and they aren't 7 years old. We took a 1st and a 2nd, so not a bad 10th place finish with 2 kids and 2 events.